PDA

View Full Version : Judge: "Only an idiot drives on the sidewalk to avoid a school bus."

aGameOfThrones
11-08-2012, 11:52 PM
There are undoubtedly hefty fines for passing a stopped school bus with its flashing lights on and stop sign deployed, so Shena Hardin, 32, of Cleveland, Ohio, thought it would be an acceptable alternative to use the sidewalk to pass instead. Back in September, Hardin was seen using the sidewalk as a bypass on multiple occasions, and a quick-thinking bus driver videotaped her doing so and alerted police. On September 11, police were able to catch her Jeep Compass in the act, and this week, a judge doled out her punishment.

Despite video evidence showing her driving on the sidewalk twice, Hardin plead Not Guilty to charges of not stopping for a school bus and reckless operation at a September court hearing, but the judge found otherwise. In addition to a $250 fine and 30-day suspension of her driver's license, the judge also ordered Hardin to stand at an intersection near where she dodged the bus wearing a sign that says "Only an idiot drives on the sidewalk to avoid a school bus." She'll be out there next Tuesday and Wednesday from 7:45 am to 8:45 am.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/08/dont-drive-on-the-sidewalk-in-cleveland-or-this-might-happen-t/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD7tuGx8vjA

fr33
11-09-2012, 12:08 AM
*shrugs* She did go out of her way of any kids unloading.

Occam's Banana
11-09-2012, 12:17 AM
It must be fun bein' a judge and makin' people do whatever stuff you just make up off the top of your head (or pull out of your ass ...)

Ain't Legal Positivism fun? Who needs stuffy old nonsense like the rule of law?

RickyJ
11-09-2012, 12:27 AM
She broke more than one law here. I think it is also illegal to drive on the sidewalk, unless you are on a driveway crossing it.

angelatc
11-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Victimless crime!!!

Occam's Banana
11-09-2012, 12:51 AM
She broke more than one law here. I think it is also illegal to drive on the sidewalk, unless you are on a driveway crossing it.

So she should have been subject to clearly defined and applied penalties - NOT made into a public spectacle at the unaccountable whim of some smug, self-righteous jackass with a gavel and the power to apply whatever punishments he pleases to concoct.

aGameOfThrones
11-09-2012, 01:03 AM
So she should have been subject to clearly defined and applied penalties - NOT made into a public spectacle at the unaccountable whim of some smug, self-righteous jackass with a gavel and the power to apply whatever punishments he pleases to concoct.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lc6x4jENlD1qa0hd2.jpg

Justinfrom1776
11-09-2012, 01:11 AM
Cleveland? Probably talking on her Obamma Phone and not paying attention.

Aratus
11-09-2012, 04:46 PM
a empty sidewalk aint as bad as a very crowded one

kathy88
11-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Ummm... what about the bus driver using a cell phone? lol

idiom
11-09-2012, 04:52 PM

Most of the an-cap proposals rely on public humiliation, boycotts and pressure to get anything done.

VoluntaryAmerican
11-09-2012, 04:55 PM
This driver is a jackass, the judge is right about that.

Whether private or public roads, this lady was destroying the sidewalk and deserved a fine.

2young2vote
11-09-2012, 05:12 PM
This driver is a jackass, the judge is right about that.

Whether private or public roads, this lady was destroying the sidewalk and deserved a fine.

I agree with a fine but I don't agree with standing on the corner holding that sign. Sounds like Cruel and Unusual punishment to me. That judge better be careful that the person doesn't sue him.

presence
11-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Was this Judge Ted Poe?

Judge Ted Poe: Public Humiliation
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?392482-Judge-Ted-Poe-Public-Humiliation

angelatc
11-09-2012, 05:30 PM
I agree with a fine but I don't agree with standing on the corner holding that sign. Sounds like Cruel and Unusual punishment to me. That judge better be careful that the person doesn't sue him.

OMG! The judge is going to embarrass her!!!

Honestly, if this is considered cruel, we have certainly become a nation of wussies. Public humiliation is an effective form of punishment.

2young2vote
11-09-2012, 05:41 PM

Honestly, if this is considered cruel, we have certainly become a nation of wussies. Public humiliation is an effective form of punishment.

The punishment has no relevance at all to what the person was doing. Public humiliation isn't going to teach anything to the person that taking away their license and fining them can't.

Occam's Banana
11-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Most of the an-cap proposals rely on public humiliation, boycotts and pressure to get anything done.

I was not objecting to the public spectacle/humiliation aspect of the issue. I simply used that phrase because that's what it is. Let me reissue my prior post with the salient part bolded:

What is there in that for anyone who gives a damn about the rule of law (an-cap or otherwise) to be pleased about?

presence
11-09-2012, 06:17 PM
The punishment has no relevance at all to what the person was doing. Public humiliation isn't going to teach anything to the person that taking away their license and fining them can't.

http://www.aimpress.com/tedpoe.htm

Judge Poe regularly requires defendants to also publicly parade downtown Houston Streets carrying a placard proclaiming their guilt and remorse. His community service sentences are equally demanding, but recidivism is very low.
http://www.breakpoint.org/commentaries/4755-poe-etic-justice

the facts show that Judge Poe’s approach works: His court has the lowest recidivism rate in the county, and he says he’s never seen the same criminal before his bench twice. Houston voters apparently like Poe’s tactics as well: They’ve reelected him three times.

Dr.3D
11-09-2012, 06:25 PM
I think we need more smug... do you have any idea how hard it is to find enough smug to make smug jelly?

idiom
11-09-2012, 08:03 PM
I was not objecting to the public spectacle/humiliation aspect of the issue. I simply used that phrase because that's what it is. Let me reissue my prior post with the salient part bolded:

What is there in that for anyone who gives a damn about the rule of law (an-cap or otherwise) to be pleased about?

That's sort of my point. The judgements will be rendered by anyone who wants to set up an 'official' humiliation service.

angelatc
11-09-2012, 08:23 PM

Most forms of punishment bear no relevance to the crime. We gave up having murderers become slaves to the victim's families quite a while ago, for example.

Taking away their license and fining them means they will likely lose their job and end up in even more trouble when they can't pay the fine or the rent. And as Presence pointed out, it works much better than the conventional forms of punishment.

kathy88
11-09-2012, 08:35 PM

I agree. Our local rag publishes the court reports. You can't even go before the District justice without everyone in town reading about it. And, subsequently, talking about it very loudly in public areas.

Occam's Banana
11-09-2012, 08:58 PM
That's sort of my point. The judgements will be rendered by anyone who wants to set up an 'official' humiliation service.
And would thus be subject to the arbitration of market forces - which is not the situation we're dealing with here.

An arbitrary, uncodified diktat was issued, subject to neither market forces nor the rule of law.

Further, it was issued under the implicit expectation that the arbitrariness of the punishment would be excused by the gratuitous foolishness of the offense.

This is why we can't have a nice justice system. ;)

specsaregood
11-09-2012, 09:00 PM

because ancaps don't believe in the rule of law.

Occam's Banana
11-09-2012, 11:23 PM
because ancaps don't believe in the rule of law.

I am an anarcho-capitalist.

I believe in the rule of law.

youngbuck
11-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Stupid lady is stupid, and I don't sympathize at all with her. How on earth did she rationalize driving on the sidewalk as an effective or legitimate circumvention of the school bus. Lol...