PDA

View Full Version : Thread Duplicates

JoshLowry
11-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Please try to keep duplicate threads to a minimum.

There was already an unofficial thread pertaining to todays email. You can post your thoughts in that thread.

Starting ten threads on the same subject clutters the front page. Members need to share the limited real estate of the first page in the grassroots forum.

Thanks.

dircha
11-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Bump!

Ron Paul Fan
11-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Only 4 threads were started about CNN mentioning Ron Paul being one of GQ's men of the year so we're improving!

Devil_rules_in_extremes
11-20-2007, 03:59 PM
I AGREE!!!!!!!

l

Mark
11-20-2007, 04:09 PM
bump 4 the chumps who don't look first

angelatc
11-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Only 4 threads were started about CNN mentioning Ron Paul being one of GQ's men of the year so we're improving!

IN all fairness, that was hard to search. GQ Man Of The Year - only one of those words is longer than 3 letters, so the Search engine kicks it back.

ctb619
11-20-2007, 04:11 PM
bump

Ron Paul Fan
11-20-2007, 04:15 PM
IN all fairness, that was hard to search. GQ Man Of The Year - only one of those words is longer than 3 letters, so the Search engine kicks it back.

I don't really care. I was just making light of the situation. He puts out that thread and BAM, 4 threads on the same thing. But as far as common sense goes, is it really that hard to search the front page of the main forum? Just give it a quick look over to see that there isn't already 3 threads on the same thing? You won't see me posting duplicate threads, that's for sure!

Benaiah
11-20-2007, 04:15 PM
bump. All I see are threads about the email, Huckabee, or "RON PAUL is on TV right NOW"

kutibah
11-20-2007, 04:17 PM
I don't really care. I was just making light of the situation. He puts out that thread and BAM, 4 threads on the same thing. But as far as common sense goes, is it really that hard to search the front page of the main forum? Just give it a quick look over to see that there isn't already 3 threads on the same thing? You won't see me posting duplicate threads, that's for sure!

That's not necessarily true. The thread I posted had to do with CNN mentioning him being named Dark Horse of the year, not GQ naming him that.

Benaiah
11-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Bump because all I see are threads in regard to this email and Teapart07.

Can we just use 3 or 4 threads instead of 47 threads on the subject?

Bradley in DC
11-21-2007, 01:55 AM
Hasn't this been posted already? :D

Flag away--hit the red triange on the upper right of the post to send a message to the mods.

Richandler
11-21-2007, 01:59 AM
This thread is the most duplicated thread on the internet.

JTCoyoté
11-21-2007, 02:36 AM
bump 4 the chumps who don't look first

The merge function would render this thread moot... if you mods would use this, it will keep everything neat and tidy... sometimes dupes come when the others have hit page two or more... you might increase the number of posts held on page one and keep your sticky's to a minimum... just a suggestion given whether these functions are operative here or not...

--Oldyoti

"The moral and constitutional obligations of our representatives in Washington are to protect our liberty, not coddle the world, precipitating no-win wars, while bringing bankruptcy and economic turmoil to our people." ~Ron Paul

Bradley in DC
11-21-2007, 02:43 AM
The merge function would render this thread moot... if you mods would use this, it will keep everything neat and tidy...

Exactly. It helps to flag posts via the upper-right red triangle and to copy the link of the other thread.

Geronimo
11-21-2007, 06:18 PM
And please make sure that the subject line of your post gives the viewer an idea of the content within the post.

RPinSEAZ
11-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Bump because people don't listen. Just because you think your opinion is important doesn't mean you should spam our boards with the same topics.

dircha
11-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Please continue to take Bradley in DC's advise to report threads that you believe violate this duplicate directive from the administrators.

Doing so will 1) allow them to respond more quickly, will 2) diffuse situations spiraling out of control, and most importantly, 3) as we have seen this afternoon will prevent a small minority of users from posting multiple vanity threads around the same topic in an attempt to monopolize discussion on an issue and misrepresent support for their opinion within the community of participants.

If you feel the need to create a top level thread about an existing topic, please ask yourself, "Am I starting a new thread to a) discuss a genuinely distinct sub-topic or tangent, or am I starting a new thread because b) I feel the need to force everyone to see my comments on the main page rather than patiently participate in the existing discussion?"

If you are starting a new thread about an existing topic because you are unwilling to patiently participate in the existing discussion where your comments will be read and discussed on their merits rather than by monopolizing the front page of the forum, then you should not start a new thread. Doing so undermines the purpose of this forum.

This forum will not work if we have 100 people who all think they are so important that their comments on existing discussion topics each need new top level threads.

Thank you!

Perry
11-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Please try to keep duplicate threads to a minimum.

There was already an unofficial thread pertaining to todays email. You can post your thoughts in that thread.

Starting ten threads on the same subject clutters the front page. Members need to share the limited real estate of the first page in the grassroots forum.

Thanks.

Verbal rebukes are not effective. Why do you think everyone posts OT in grassroots?
It's a popularity contest. You can't be popular of you don't start the "big news" thread. Sorry to say that Mods being proactive is the only solution.

dircha
11-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Here's an idea:

How about preventing users from starting new threads more frequently than every 5 or even 10 minutes in the Ron Paul Grassroots Central forum?

This would substantially alleviate the vanity-thread effect and other attempts to undermine discussion by monopolizing top level posts and the forum front page.

If a poster creates a new thread and does not intend to spend even 5 minutes discussing and reflecting on it, I think this will cause users to be more thoughtful in their thread titles, as well more likely to consider the value of the thread they are attempting to create and whether it rises to the importance of a top level thread in the Grassroots Central forum, which is home to an increasingly large community.

Mark
11-22-2007, 04:07 PM
bump. All I see are threads about the email, Huckabee, or "RON PAUL is on TV right NOW"

You left out about the nightly barrage of Glen Beck posts,
probably started by his own trolls.

Corydoras
11-22-2007, 04:09 PM
If a poster creates a new thread and does not intend to spend even 5 minutes discussing and reflecting on it, I think this will cause users to be more thoughtful in their thread titles, as well more likely to consider the value of the thread they are attempting to create and whether it rises to the importance of a top level thread in the Grassroots Central forum, which is home to an increasingly large community.

I think you have a very good idea. Not sure on the technical feasibility, but I like the underlying observation.

me3
11-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Josh, DigitalPoint has a mod that requires checking a box when starting a new thread, acknowledging that the thread is going in the right section. I'll see if I can find out which one it is on vB.org. That may help if there is a disclaimer up front.

The answers with forums usually aren't more aggressive moderation, they are better documentation of existing guidelines and policies.

And most forum issues have been dealt with by other forums before. I always check around to see how other people have solved the problems I have had, it saves the painstaking work of trying to figure it out by trial and error.

T206
11-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Josh, DigitalPoint has a mod that requires checking a box when starting a new thread, acknowledging that the thread is going in the right section. I'll see if I can find out which one it is on vB.org. That may help if there is a disclaimer up front.

The answers with forums usually aren't more aggressive moderation, they are better documentation of existing guidelines and policies.

And most forum issues have been dealt with by other forums before. I always check around to see how other people have solved the problems I have had, it saves the painstaking work of trying to figure it out by trial and error.

Sounds like a good idea, although Ive always been a fan of making it so that a new user cant start new threads until some set time or number of posts. Something like 30 days or 100 posts. Im sure some will say its prohibiting freedom of speech, but honestly this forum has become SO difficult to read over the past few days.

dircha
11-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Please contribute to this thread in support of adding a forum restriction to prevent a user from creating a new thread in Ron Paul Grassroots Central more than once every 5 or 10 minutes and to collectively come together to take a stand against users monopolizing our forum for their own agendas.

Top level vanity threads have become a tremendous problem here with the rapid growth of this community. Impatient users start new top level threads about issues already under discussion to monopolize the front page of the forum, to disproportionately represent the support of their personal positions, as well as to bypass the intended discussion structure in an effort see their own comments be pressed into others' faces, rather than be read, ignored, and commented upon on their merits as part of ongoing discussions.

Please take a stand against these disruptive and antagonistic users. When you see a new top level thread started that bypasses the community discussion framework with the intention of impatiently pressing the poster's own comments into others' faces on the front page, please click the Report link in the right hand corner to report that thread to be deleted or merged.

Please help to take our community back.

dircha
11-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Bump, and Good Night.

me3
11-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Josh, this isn't exactly what DigitalPoint uses, but it's basically the same thing.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=122994

I haven't had a chance to test the plugin yet, but it has a lot of users and is from an established coder.

Scroll down to screenshots to see the admin and front end sides.

hth

Mark
11-22-2007, 11:40 PM
How about just making this or a similar post a 'sticky'.

Like, big letters,

"Read THIS, First Search Posts for Similar Thread. Duplicate Posts will be Deleted."

Or something.

NewEnd
11-23-2007, 12:37 AM
Please contribute to this thread in support of adding a forum restriction to prevent a user from creating a new thread in Ron Paul Grassroots Central more than once every 5 or 10 minutes and to collectively come together to take a stand against users monopolizing our forum for their own agendas.

Top level vanity threads have become a tremendous problem here with the rapid growth of this community. Impatient users start new top level threads about issues already under discussion to monopolize the front page of the forum, to disproportionately represent the support of their personal positions, as well as to bypass the intended discussion structure in an effort see their own comments be pressed into others' faces, rather than be read, ignored, and commented upon on their merits as part of ongoing discussions.

Please take a stand against these disruptive and antagonistic users. When you see a new top level thread started that bypasses the community discussion framework with the intention of impatiently pressing the poster's own comments into others' faces on the front page, please click the Report link in the right hand corner to report that thread to be deleted or merged.

Please help to take our community back.

agreed