PDA

View Full Version : [Video] Alex Castellanos: Ron Paul Youth the Future of the Republican Party

FrankRep
11-08-2012, 07:07 AM
Alex Castellanos: Ron Paul Youth the Future of the Republican Party (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87tHJS0WzyU)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87tHJS0WzyU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87tHJS0WzyU

Clip from Anderson cooper 360 on November 7, 2012 after Mitt Romney lost election. Alex Castellanos speaks about the future of the republican party and attracting younger voters into the party.

rprprs
11-08-2012, 07:53 AM
We need to compile these pro-Paul assesments in one place. Thanks for posting both, Frank. +rep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d-5pPstogc

Edit: I see Gunny had posted the above clip even earlier, so +rep to him too. ;)

Bastiat's The Law
11-08-2012, 08:11 AM
I think Scarborough hit on it. There's a huge contingent of voters out there waiting to vote for republicans if they cut out the crazy wacko stuff, namely foot in mouth social issues and crazy foreign policy stuff. Avoid those pitfalls and you're viable.

CaptUSA
11-08-2012, 08:14 AM
I think Scarborough hit on it. There's a huge contingent of voters out there waiting to vote for republicans if they cut out the crazy wacko stuff, namely foot in mouth social issues and crazy foreign policy stuff. Avoid those pitfalls and you're viable.Agreed. I would argue that social conservatism is fine. It's government-mandated social conservatism (which is really progressivism) that people don't like. Oh, and that crazy foreign policy stuff. (again, which is a very liberal foreign policy)

rprprs
11-08-2012, 08:22 AM
I think Scarborough hit on it. There's a huge contingent of voters out there waiting to vote for republicans if they cut out the crazy wacko stuff, namely foot in mouth social issues and crazy foreign policy stuff. Avoid those pitfalls and you're viable.
Agree, and I think we could very likely have some success getting them to abandon the "crazy" social issue stuff. Foreign policy is a tougher nut to crack, though. Unfortunately, I don't see their "American exceptionalism" mindset going anywhere soon.

Bastiat's The Law
11-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Agreed. I would argue that social conservatism is fine. It's government-mandated social conservatism (which is really progressivism) that people don't like. Oh, and that crazy foreign policy stuff. (again, which is a very liberal foreign policy)
Social conservatism is fine, but republicans need to practice the fine art of keeping it to thy self and not wearing your religiosity on your sleeve while carrying a club to bash anyone that doesn't believe as you do. That's a general point. I think Ron Paul has been a great model for how a social conservative should carry their self in the 21st century.

The other point, if you hesitate or give a wacky answer when asked about rape you're not ready for primetime. What is this, the Jerry Sandusky school of answering no brainer questions?

georgiaboy
11-08-2012, 08:55 AM
http://www.bluewaterbrand.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/great-clips-case-study.jpg

pochy1776
11-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Agreed. I would argue that social conservatism is fine. It's government-mandated social conservatism (which is really progressivism) that people don't like. Oh, and that crazy foreign policy stuff. (again, which is a very liberal foreign policy)

How do we explain the difference between true social conservatism or state mandated social order that is just as statist. On Foreign policy, we need to work harder on that.

CaptUSA
11-08-2012, 09:19 AM
How do we explain the difference between true social conservatism or state mandated social order that is just as statist. On Foreign policy, we need to work harder on that.It's a little tricky because you have to undo the programming, but I ususally say something like, "Being socially conservative means being socially conservative. Wanting the government to tell people to be socially conservative is a liberal policy. Liberals always want the government to mandate that people behave how they want them to."

Being "conservative" with our foreign policy is a little harder. The State has programmed people too well on this. They're hard to shake. They say, "We can't be conservative with our foreign policy when people are trying to kill us!" I say, "maybe people wouldn't be trying to kill us if it weren't for our liberal foreign policy. True conservatives understand that liberal policies make enemies." It doesn't always work, but it does get them thinking.

pochy1776
11-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Social conservatism is fine, but republicans need to practice the fine art of keeping it to thy self and not wearing your religiosity on your sleeve while carrying a club to bash anyone that doesn't believe as you do. That's a general point. I think Ron Paul has been a great model for how a social conservative should carry their self in the 21st century.

The other point, if you hesitate or give a wacky answer when asked about rape you're not ready for primetime. What is this, the Jerry Sandusky school of answering no brainer questions? I a pro life guy, i think the republicans need to adapt an anti war stance So it will be consistent. No life should be taken. All life is precious.

Bastiat's The Law
11-08-2012, 09:33 AM
I a pro life guy, i think the republicans need to adapt an anti war stance So it will be consistent. No life should be taken. All life is precious.
That's fine, even admirable, but if rape hangs you up you have no business running for office.