PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory GMO Labelling in CA Defeated by Monsanto/Hershey Co.

dannno
11-07-2012, 01:45 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/07/prop-37-defeated-californ_n_2088402.html

Companies like Monsanto and The Hershey Co. contributed to what was eventually a $44 million windfall for "No on Prop 37," ..... Opponents of Prop 37 blitzed California with campaign ads on a variety of different reasons GMO labeling would be costly for consumers and punitive to businesses like small farms and mom-and-pop stores.

What a bunch of mass deception, Monsanto advertising that the bill would be punitive for small farms and mom and pop stores..

Meanwhile Whole Foods and all the mom and pop stores and farmer's markets were pushing for it.

Tpoints
11-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Why does it have to be the fault of big agra? Why can't it just be people don't want more regulations and don't fear GMO?

dannno
11-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Why does it have to be the fault of big agra? Why can't it just be people don't want more regulations and don't fear GMO?

I dunno, because of the facts?

sailingaway
11-07-2012, 01:50 PM
I'm wondering about this because when I checked the LA county recorder it said only 75% of the ballots had been counted and there was a link saying they don't really have to finish counting for a month when they are certified.

So.....

Tpoints
11-07-2012, 01:51 PM
I dunno, because of the facts?

what facts? Rich campaigners are always wrong? Regulations always hurt people at the end? Some people can't afford to choose higher priced foods?

sailingaway
11-07-2012, 01:51 PM

I heard the ads. Do you live in CA? They were quoting FDA stuff FDA (even staffed by Monsanto legal eagles) never said.

dannno
11-07-2012, 01:53 PM
The reason GMOs are so engrained into our food system is because of federal big agra regulations. This is a response to those regulations which use heavy financial incentives in the billions of dollars in order to suppress good healthy food in favor of GMO food.

This is people taking the power back locally. Unfortunately people were misguided by big agra once again.

sailingaway
11-07-2012, 01:55 PM
It STILL says only 75% of the precincts have been processed in LA County, and LA County population dwarfs the state: http://www.lavote.net/

lacountyrrcc Update: 3,739 precincts reporting (74.88%). 1,836,821 ballots processed.

dannno
11-07-2012, 01:58 PM
The FACTS are that farmers markets, small food producers and retailers were in favor of the bill, you would know that if you lived here, and the big giant agra companies who receive billions in federal subsidies came in from out of town and convinced people that small food producers and retailers would be hurt by this bill when they were in fact in favor of it.

They spent over 40 million when the pro-GMO labeling side was only able to raise 7 million. It was narrowly defeated because of the TV commercials and people wholly uneducated about our food system.

This is not a difficult concept.

dannno
11-07-2012, 04:11 PM
bump

jllundqu
11-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Sounds so simple, huh?