PDA

View Full Version : California votes for higher taxes

itshappening
11-07-2012, 11:53 AM
A $6 billion-a-year package of tax increases backed by Gov. Jerry Brown has passed in California, the Associated Press reported on Wednesday morning.

Brown has made the tax package, Prop 30, the centerpiece of his administration. It would raise the sales tax by a quarter of a cent for the next four years, and increase taxes on those making more than $250,000 for the next seven years. Brown argued the package of tax hikes was needed to prevent a devastating series of cuts to the state’s public schools and universities.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83479.html#ixzz2BYoOECbF

-

it's always about more taxes, never about finding ways to cut spending

Czolgosz
11-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Good. Down with this state, faster is better.

itshappening
11-07-2012, 11:57 AM
The problem is the hypocrite lefties will flee and infiltrate other states

Brian4Liberty
11-07-2012, 11:59 AM

They already have done a lot of that.

AGRP
11-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Im very disappointed. Theres no way $6 billion per year will solve their problems. Why not go for something like $500 billion?

oyarde
11-07-2012, 12:02 PM
They will not infiltrate my berm, let them starve.

Brian4Liberty
11-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Californians are like any other voters, almost completely ignorant of the facts. They voted based upon television advertising. Prop 30 was heavily advertised, so they voted for it. And it is was advertised as a "tax the rich" initiative, which resonates with a bunch of government dependent lemmings. (Government "dependent" as defined by people who believe that government is their caregiver, safety net and enforcer, even if they currently have jobs).

Now in California, you would think that a Genetically Engineered Food label law would pass easily. But Monsanto, Dupont and friends spent over $40 million on endless commercials showing farmers and housewives talking about how is would cost us. It was voted down.

http://www.kcet.org/news/ballotbrief/elections2012/propositions/prop-37-funding-genetically-engineered-food.html

AuH20
11-07-2012, 12:13 PM

Colorado, Oregon, Arizona, Texas. They are already there.

alucard13mmfmj
11-07-2012, 12:13 PM
For the record, I voted no on that.

Sales taxes is 8.25% for me... It is actually quite hard to start a business, especially online business. If I sell to a customer in california, they have to pay sales tax AND shipping. Often times a 50 dollar item will cost 65-70 dollar after shipping/tax. Not to mention that when you use paypal, there is a transaction fee and that 8.25% sales tax contributes to the total.

Why would anyone vote to raise sales taxes. Tuition will continue to rise, while the quality of the school stays the same or drops.

I voted no on anything that raised taxes, no matter how goody or important it is. More money involved = more mismanagement of funds.

The only reason why I think people would vote for this is...
"It would raise the sales tax by a quarter of a cent for the next four years, and increase taxes on those making more than $250,000 for the next seven years. "

Yeah... lets increase sales taxes for everyone and for everything they buy just to tax the rich who have plenty of money. They dont seem to realize the sales tax hurts the poor more than the income tax hurting the rich.

----- edit

HAHAHA. no labeling on GMO fooods either. LOL.

I should move to a different state or something.

sdsubball23
11-07-2012, 12:27 PM
will this sales tax really hurt us in Cali? It says quarter of a cent which doesn't seem much to me. I voted no on this because of the increase in taxes, but does it really affect the middle class and below and how?

Keith and stuff
11-07-2012, 12:30 PM
There were 2 statewide props designed to increase taxes in CA. This prop, designed to increase the sales tax and greatly increase the income tax passed. The other prop to greatly increase the income tax failed. The prop to increase business taxes by $1,000,000,000 per year passed.

Many of the local bonds and tax increases passed.

This is not unlike 2010, 2008 and 2006 in CA. When voters are given the ability to vote on a tax or bond increase, there is a good chance it will pass. It is the CA way. People love higher taxes in CA and want to see taxes much higher than they currently are in CA. Don't worry, give it a few years, it will just get much, much worse.

tsai3904
11-07-2012, 12:34 PM
will this sales tax really hurt us in Cali? It says quarter of a cent which doesn't seem much to me. I voted no on this because of the increase in taxes, but does it really affect the middle class and below and how?

A quarter of a cent may not seem much but it is significant when we already have the highest sales tax rate in the country (depending on what county you are in).

Also, the city of LA will be putting a half cent sales tax increase on the March citywide ballot, which would make LA's sales tax rate be 9.5% if it passes.

Each small increase may not hurt a lot but the cumulative effect of gradual tax increases will cripple the economy.

Deborah K
11-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Californians are like any other voters, almost completely ignorant of the facts. They voted based upon television advertising. Prop 30 was heavily advertised, so they voted for it. And it is was advertised as a "tax the rich" initiative, which resonates with a bunch of government dependent lemmings. (Government "dependent" as defined by people who believe that government is their caregiver, safety net and enforcer, even if they currently have jobs).

Now in California, you would think that a Genetically Engineered Food label law would pass easily. But Monsanto, Dupont and friends spent over $40 million on endless commercials showing farmers and housewives talking about how is would cost us. It was voted down.
http://www.kcet.org/news/ballotbrief/elections2012/propositions/prop-37-funding-genetically-engineered-food.html

Which speaks to the sheer idiocy of Californians - vote down knowing what poisons they put in your foods, because it's going to cost you, but vote up higher income, sales, and property taxes.

Either it's a rigged system (which is what I really think), or people are just unbelievably stupid.

alucard13mmfmj
11-07-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm just puzzled on how some states get by without sales taxes and have little or no debt...

While states like California is in knee deep trouble and floundering with debt.

I agree that education needs to be re-looked at, but blowing more money at the schools is not the answer. RIght now, there are more college graduates than there are jobs. I think the stats is that 50% of college grads get some bullshit job that has nothing to do with their field (albiet, I bet most of them picked a useless degree) or not employed. There is too many college degrees, too little jobs. I have a human biology degree, but I can't find a job in my field mainly because I lack experience that employers want. I guess employers don't want to train new people AND universities don't prepare students for the work place.

I am looking at getting a vocational certificate in Radiology Technician, but after researching it more thoroughly... that field may be saturated. Like 20 applicants for one spot. It seems like a dead end job with avg of 50,000 USD pay per year. No real room to advance.

Nurses are still in demand, but once the baby boomers die off... some nurses are going to get laid off.

ALSO, because there is a surplus of people looking for work.. employers are offering minimum wage jobs because people will take them.

I guess I've become enlightened to see all this bullcrap.

Brian4Liberty
11-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Which speaks to the sheer idiocy of Californians - vote down knowing what poisons they put in your foods, because it's going to cost you, but vote up higher income, sales, and property taxes.

Either it's a rigged system (which is what I really think), or people are just unbelievably stupid.

Yeah, it's incredible that they can be so easily convinced of two contrary ideas at the same time. Emotional arguments and arguments from supposed authority convince them every time, especially when it comes out of their boob-tube.

itshappening
11-07-2012, 12:48 PM
how many counties and cities are effectively bankrupt in CA?

The people are stupid if they think these new taxes will be spent on their precious schools

sdsubball23
11-07-2012, 12:49 PM
A quarter of a cent may not seem much but it is significant when we already have the highest sales tax rate in the country (depending on what county you are in).

Also, the city of LA will be putting a half cent sales tax increase on the March citywide ballot, which would make LA's sales tax rate be 9.5% if it passes.

Each small increase may not hurt a lot but the cumulative effect of gradual tax increases will cripple the economy.

Will Prop 30 hurt the economy of Cali?

AuH20
11-07-2012, 12:49 PM
We need a to wall up the Eastern side of California. lol

Brian4Liberty
11-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Which speaks to the sheer idiocy of Californians - vote down knowing what poisons they put in your foods,...

A slight tangent that reminds me of:

There was a chef who did a demonstration in front of a bunch of children about how "pink goo" and chicken nuggets are made. He expected the kids to be grossed out, but instead, they eagerly gobbled up them up when he was done. Most voters have a lot in common with children.

Brian4Liberty
11-07-2012, 12:50 PM

Yes.

tsai3904
11-07-2012, 12:51 PM

Yes. Anytime you take money out of the private sector to give to the public sector, it will hurt the economy because the private sector is better at allocating capital.

Deborah K
11-07-2012, 12:52 PM
A slight tangent that reminds me of:

There was a chef who did a demonstration in front of a bunch of children about how "pink goo" and chicken nuggets are made. He expected the kids to be grossed out, but instead, the eagerly gobbled up them up when he was done. Most voters have a lot in common with children.

eww...I'm so glad my grandkids don't know what a chicken nugget tastes like....

juleswin
11-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Im very disappointed. Theres no way $6 billion per year will solve their problems. Why not go for something like $500 billion?

OMG, I nearly ROFL in real life. I guess if 6 is good, 500 is even better :)

Brian4Liberty
11-07-2012, 12:54 PM
A $6 billion-a-year package of tax increases backed by Gov. Jerry Brown has passed in California, the Associated Press reported on Wednesday morning.

Brown has made the tax package, Prop 30, the centerpiece of his administration. It would raise the sales tax by a quarter of a cent for the next four years, and increase taxes on those making more than $250,000 for the next seven years. Brown argued the package of tax hikes was needed to prevent a devastating series of cuts to the state’s public schools and universities.

Largest donors to this pro-tax increase Proposition:

CALIFORNIA TEACHERS ASSOCIATION ISSUES PAC (CTA) - $8,886,547.90
CALIFORNIA STATE COUNCIL OF SERVICE EMPLOYEES ISSUES COMMITTEE (SEIU) - $7,525,448.90

Largest donors to defeat a Proposition that stops mandatory political donations from workers:

CALIFORNIA TEACHERS ASSOCIATION/ISSUES PAC - $22,043,603.37
CALIFORNIA STATE COUNCIL OF SERVICE EMPLOYEES ISSUES COMMITTEE - $8,343,581.86

sailingaway
11-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Seriously? When I stopped tracking this last night it was losing.

It was outright blackmail how they packaged it though. They cut everything people care about and none of the boondoggles and 'passed that budget' so it would AUTOMATICALLY go into effect Jan 1, unless this passed. It should be criminal. I wonder if people are mad enough to vote them out now we have a chance to come up with replacements for those who voted for that budget.

juleswin
11-07-2012, 01:02 PM
I am looking at getting a vocational certificate in Radiology Technician, but after researching it more thoroughly... that field may be saturated. Like 20 applicants for one spot. It seems like a dead end job with avg of 50,000 USD pay per year. No real room to advance.

Nurses are still in demand, but once the baby boomers die off... some nurses are going to get laid off.

ALSO, because there is a surplus of people looking for work.. employers are offering minimum wage jobs because people will take them.

I guess I've become enlightened to see all this bullcrap.

Internship is your friend. Paid, unpaid, just get your feet wet and you will start looking very attractive to employers. I have started applying for internships, lab techs etc whatever I can get with my bio tech major. Or if you have the stomach for it, try graduate school, BS is the new high school diploma

Czolgosz
11-07-2012, 01:08 PM
eww...I'm so glad my grandkids don't know what a chicken nugget tastes like....

They're so tasty, though.

tsai3904
11-07-2012, 01:23 PM
It was outright blackmail how they packaged it though. They cut everything people care about and none of the boondoggles and 'passed that budget' so it would AUTOMATICALLY go into effect Jan 1, unless this passed. It should be criminal. I wonder if people are mad enough to vote them out now we have a chance to come up with replacements for those who voted for that budget.

The Democrats are claiming they won a super majority in the Assembly and the Senate. The reason Prop 30 went to the ballots was because the Dems didn't have a super majority but since now they do, things will go downhill quick.

http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Democrats-get-supermajority-in-Legislature-4015861.php

sailingaway
11-07-2012, 01:39 PM
The Democrats are claiming they won a super majority in the Assembly and the Senate. The reason Prop 30 went to the ballots was because the Dems didn't have a super majority but since now they do, things will go downhill quick.

http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Democrats-get-supermajority-in-Legislature-4015861.php

Oh, crap, seriously? I don't think anyone considered that a possibility. Wow. Relocation becomes a serious issue at this point.

Tpoints
11-07-2012, 01:41 PM
they also preserved death penalty, yay.

Czolgosz
11-07-2012, 01:43 PM

That's good news.

Keith and stuff
11-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Oh, crap, seriously? I don't think anyone considered that a possibility. Wow. Relocation becomes a serious issue at this point.

So I was at the post-election celebration party in Manchester, NH last night. I met a couple who just moved from Cali 2 months ago. They moved to a town where the liberty Republican (former New Hampshire House Libertarian Party Majority Leader = he lead the NH House Caucus of 4 elected LP state reps) lost by 13 votes to the Democratic candidate.

Anti Federalist
11-07-2012, 01:51 PM

Make it a trillion.

seraphson
11-07-2012, 01:55 PM
So the logic of taxing the poor to make them poorer to transfer the money to institutions that clearly have no sense of financial stability or sustainability makes sense how? In regards to taxing the "rich" even more say hello to the Laffer Curve and say bye bye to the policy induced shedding of the only people that actually pulled a bigger percentage of the taxes. I swear California is the capital of Dumfukistan.

Anti Federalist
11-07-2012, 01:55 PM
So I was at the post-election celebration party in Manchester, NH last night. I met a couple who just moved from Cali 2 months ago. They moved to a town where the liberty Republican (former New Hampshire House Libertarian Party Majority Leader = he lead the NH House Caucus of 4 elected LP state reps) lost by 13 votes to the Democratic candidate.

I'm out of town right now and kind of disconnected.

I figured local results wouldn't be so good, give me a thumbnail of what the new situation is in Concord, if you can.

Meatwasp
11-07-2012, 02:26 PM
I hope they do and leave Calif.

sailingaway
11-07-2012, 02:30 PM

Yeah, but the right jobs are the issue. Not that CA is booming with them, but NH isn't either. Unfortunately, Texas is, and I don't particularly yearn to live there, but might consider it if I can find anywhere with hills and trees. It is a big state. Surely some part of it I never saw has hills and trees?

Humanae Libertas
11-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Californians' have amnesia. Did they forget before July 2011, we had 8.25% (some counties were much higher) sales tax in place for FOUR years? Nope. And did that sales tax hike cut the deficit under Arnie? LMAO, NOPE - It went up actually.

matt0611
11-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Yeah, but the right jobs are the issue. Not that CA is booming with them, but NH isn't either. Unfortunately, Texas is, and I don't particularly yearn to live there, but might consider it if I can find anywhere with hills and trees. It is a big state. Surely some part of it I never saw has hills and trees?

Yeah, I like Texas, seems like a decent place, especially for jobs, but that weather :/

Keith and stuff
11-07-2012, 02:55 PM

True. However, per the unemployment rate, CA is doing horrible and NH is better than TX.
Unemployment Rate:
CA 10.2%
US average 7.9%
TX 6.8%
MA 6.5%
NH 5.7%
VT 5.4%

There are a bunch of jobs in NH. Especially in southeastern NH. There are a ton of jobs in Northern MA and Boston.

Income tax rates:
CA - up to 13.3%
MA - up to 5.3%
NH - up to 0%

No sales tax either. Plus, the FSP. Plus, the most organized and successful liberty activists. Plus the most organized and successful liberty media. Plus, the easiest government system to improve. Plus, the most local control of spending...

Deborah K
11-07-2012, 04:26 PM

This state is going to crash and burn. Sooner rather than later, I hope. I can no longer withstand prolonging the inevitable. I want to get it over with so we can begin to rebuild.

tsai3904
11-08-2012, 12:35 AM
In Los Angeles County, the following cities had ballot measures involving taxes:

Artesia
Measure M
Increases Business License Tax
Passed 78.0%

Bellflower
Measure P
Increases Utility User Tax by 2%
Passed 61.3%

Commerce
Measure AA
Increases Sales Tax by 0.5%
Passed 67.3%

Culver City
Measure Y
Increase Sales Tax by 0.5%
Passed 76.6%

Downey
Measure D
Reduces Telecommunications Tax from 5% to 4.8%
Passed 79.4%
(why did a tax reduction pass? because current law didn't apply the telecommunications tax on new technologies like smart phones and this measure would apply the tax to new utilities so it's not really a tax reduction as it was sold)

El Monte
Measure H
Adopts tax of 1 cent per ounce of sweetened beverage
Failed 76.8%
The beverage industry dropped a lot of money to oppose this measure

La Mirada
Measure I
Increases Sales Tax by 1%
Passed 66.0%

Pomona
Measure V
Increases Hotel Occupancy Tax by 2%
Failed 51.8%

Pomona
Measure X
Adopts Parcel Tax of $38/parcel
Passed 60.2%

Pomona
Measure W
Increases Real Property Tax by $1.10 per $500 of property value
Failed 75.4%

Pauls' Revere
11-08-2012, 12:51 AM

The people are stupid if they think these new taxes will be spent on their precious schools

Yeah, this tax to save schools shit comes up every five years or so. I remember they passed the state lottery as a cure all to once and for all find a way to fund/tax/subsidize schools. Gues what? didnt work then, wont work now.

Marenco
11-08-2012, 01:01 AM

http://d7740a0c2a-custmedia.vresp.com/221f203618/d4c2bea779/image1.gif?__nocache__=1