PDA

View Full Version : Just Venting, to the only people who understand

KerriAnn
11-06-2012, 10:54 PM
I wrote in Ron Paul's name.
Then I argued with friends and family (and complete strangers) over why i "wasted" my vote.
Then I tweeted my ass off (#writeinronpaul!).
Then I argued some more.
Then I watched the election on CNN.
Then I threw up in my mouth.
Then I gave up on being nice to my facebook friends and posted this:

remember that game everyone played when you were a kid? the one that goes "would you rather eat your own boogers or would you rather lick my big toe?" Well the entire country just played that game. and we all ate our own boogers and licked each others toes. except me. i said, "no, i will not eat boogers or lick your toe, you stupid f***." in four years, maybe you will join me.

Now I'm tired.
I will drink 2 or 3 beers, smoke a cigarette, and go to bed.
Tomorrow I will contemplate what to do next.

There's really no point to this thread except to complain about how exhausting it is to be right. lol.

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-06-2012, 10:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euckWFonKaU

Nuff said.

angelatc
11-06-2012, 10:58 PM
I don't think we ever played that game....but awesome post!!!

sailingaway
11-06-2012, 11:00 PM
I wrote in Ron Paul's name.
Then I argued with friends and family (and complete strangers) over why i "wasted" my vote.
Then I tweeted my ass off (#writeinronpaul!).
Then I argued some more.
Then I watched the election on CNN.
Then I threw up in my mouth.
Then I gave up on being nice to my facebook friends and posted this:

remember that game everyone played when you were a kid? the one that goes "would you rather eat your own boogers or would you rather lick my big toe?" Well the entire country just played that game. and we all ate our own boogers and licked each others toes. except me. i said, "no, i will not eat boogers or lick your toe, you stupid f***." in four years, maybe you will join me.

Now I'm tired.
I will drink 2 or 3 beers, smoke a cigarette, and go to bed.
Tomorrow I will contemplate what to do next.

There's really no point to this thread except to complain about how exhausting it is to be right. lol.

On the other hand, you haven't spent the night licking toes and eating boogers.

And it was fun tweeting with you!

How many of them will feel as good about how they spent political time today as you will? And isn't that worth something?

european
11-06-2012, 11:02 PM
lol, i know the game, i never joined in though, but well said :)

KerriAnn
11-06-2012, 11:06 PM
On the other hand, you haven't spent the night licking toes and eating boogers.

And it was fun tweeting with you!

How many of them will feel as good about how they spent political time today as you will? And isn't that worth something?
It was fun tweeting! and yes, i know that I feel better about my vote than they do. but oh, how i wish i could change their minds. make them see some of the light, so they get excited about something instead of their stupid monotonous daily lives, their football games and their duckface poses in front of bathroom mirrors, and petty personal arguments. i didn't even ask them to vote for Paul, i only ask them to pay attention to the world around them.
i'm not usually so negative! i'm sure i'll be out of this funk by the time i wake up tomorrow. i know all of you have felt the same way many times before.

sailingaway
11-06-2012, 11:06 PM
I don't think we ever played that game....but awesome post!!!

Yeah, I thought it was best to just sort of skip over that part....

James Madison
11-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Don't worry; you're not alone. Everyone is pissed at me for 'wasting my vote'. My response is usually: Mitt Romney had no chance either so I guess you wasted your vote, too.

sailingaway
11-06-2012, 11:08 PM
It was fun tweeting! and yes, i know that I feel better about my vote than they do. but oh, how i wish i could change their minds. make them see some of the light, so they get excited about something instead of their stupid monotonous daily lives, their football games and their duckface poses in front of bathroom mirrors, and petty personal arguments. i didn't even ask them to vote for Paul, i only ask them to pay attention to the world around them.
i'm not usually so negative! i'm sure i'll be out of this funk by the time i wake up tomorrow. i know all of you have felt the same way many times before.

Yeah, but you are part of why I'm optimistic KerriAnn. You weren't here four years ago. And I wasn't four years before that.

Sleep well!

KerriAnn
11-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Yeah, I thought it was best to just sort of skip over that part....
haha! you never played "would you rather?" http://lmgtfy.com/?q=would+you+rather

georgiaboy
11-06-2012, 11:28 PM
I must admit I'm feeling the same, Kerri. Tonight we've been vindicated, but I can only feel crappy right now.

It hurts to see such huge percentages of the American population voting for big government, even if significant portions of them think they're voting for smaller government. And, even if many smaller races did in fact go our way.

I need some time to reflect, process, and re-charge. For now, yes, my comfort is knowing y'all are all out there, and that we will continue forward.

papitosabe
11-06-2012, 11:30 PM
so I recently heard about if GJ would have gotten a 5% vote, that the 3rd would have gotten some kind of benefits in congress or something like that...I forget what it was...and why I just started hearing about this in the last week....anyone know what the issue was? and if it was a benefit to the 3rd party, why wasn't a bigger deal made here to vote for GJ, instead of writing in RP...

Warrior_of_Freedom
11-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Don't worry; you're not alone. Everyone is pissed at me for 'wasting my vote'. My response is usually: Mitt Romney had no chance either so I guess you wasted your vote, too.I let my GOP committee know I voted Ron Paul and told them Romney was garbage. The funny thing is no one disagreed with me.

KerriAnn
11-06-2012, 11:35 PM
so I recently heard about if GJ would have gotten a 5% vote, that they would have gotten some benefit...I forget what it was...and why I just started hearing about this in the last week....anyone know what the issue was? and if it was a benefit to the 3rd party, why wasn't a bigger deal made here to vote for GJ, instead of writing in RP...
although it may have seemed in my post like the people i was arguing with were romney or obama supporters, surprisingly about half of them were GJ supporters. They are really mad at Paul supporters for not rolling over to him when Paul dropped out of the race.
They just don't understand why we vote. Why we believe in Ron Paul. Why it's so hard for us to move on. It's because Ron is the REAL DEAL. He's a Thomas Jefferson. And Damn Paul for not being 20 years younger.
GJ has publicly supported FEMA. F-E-M-A! no. i can't vote for him.

Warrior_of_Freedom
11-06-2012, 11:36 PM
so I recently heard about if GJ would have gotten a 5% vote, that the 3rd would have gotten some kind of benefits in congress or something like that...I forget what it was...and why I just started hearing about this in the last week....anyone know what the issue was? and if it was a benefit to the 3rd party, why wasn't a bigger deal made here to vote for GJ, instead of writing in RP...
Good luck with that shit. In my district he got 1 vote out of 1,000

RickyJ
11-06-2012, 11:37 PM
I never heard of such a game. I am glad I never played that game as a kid.

Warrior_of_Freedom
11-06-2012, 11:38 PM
I never heard of such a game. I am glad I never played that game as a kid.
You never heard of The Game?

sailingaway
11-07-2012, 12:07 AM
although it may have seemed in my post like the people i was arguing with were romney or obama supporters, surprisingly about half of them were GJ supporters. They are really mad at Paul supporters for not rolling over to him when Paul dropped out of the race.
They just don't understand why we vote. Why we believe in Ron Paul. Why it's so hard for us to move on. It's because Ron is the REAL DEAL. He's a Thomas Jefferson. And Damn Paul for not being 20 years younger.

I feel the same, except he was doing this 20 years ago. 30. People just weren't listening.

But, if only...

James Madison
11-07-2012, 12:10 AM
I'd vote for Ron even if he was 100 years old. If he runs again, I'll support him with everything I have.

BlackJack
11-07-2012, 12:25 AM

Exactly. And Ron Paul was on a phone call with some Faux reporter today condemning FEMA. Gary Johnson is a phoney who only knows libertarian talking points. He doesn't even know the cause he's standing for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aTch7InkZjo

TomtheTinker
11-07-2012, 12:36 AM
GJ would of got my vote if there wasn't so many reasons not to vote for him.

He would of got plenty of Paul people to support him..if he ran for senate.

KerriAnn
11-07-2012, 12:40 AM
Exactly. And Ron Paul was on a phone call with some Faux reporter today condemning FEMA. Gary Johnson is a phoney who only knows libertarian talking points. He doesn't even know the cause he's standing for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aTch7InkZjo
Wow. I'd never heard that interview before. I was embarrassed for GJ just listening to it! I always felt like he was too soft, but that was a horrible interview.

Mini-Me
11-07-2012, 12:44 AM

As nearly an an-cap myself, I think a lot of you guys are pretty harsh on Gary Johnson, and all the harsh words between you guys and the hardcore GJ supporters seem to be feeding off each other. Hopefully the fire dies down now, because I'd hate for bad blood to continue past tonight. I ultimately voted for Gary, since a.) it's not so much about the man to me, but about the idea of doing my part to help increase the LP's visibility, and b.) RP write-ins weren't counted in my state.

If we all took a chill pill and stopped using the harshest words we could for people who aren't fully in our camp but still largely allied with us against the totalitarians in both parties, I think we'd do a better job of not scaring so many people off. Gary Johnson isn't a phony, so much as he doesn't get it 100%, or at least not yet. He's a libertarian-leaning moderate, but he leans way farther libertarian than he leans anything else, so where else is he supposed to go? Sure, he's not the best candidate in the world to champion libertarian values, since he doesn't have the foundation of principle, and he wouldn't go nearly as far as most of us would like on a lot of important issues. That said, considering how much he has embraced both Ron Paul and us (despite some of his stronger supporters having other feelings), it's kind of cruel how quick so many of us have been to totally shun him.

TCE
11-07-2012, 12:44 AM

The Libertarian Party would have received federal funding in the 2016. Also, it would have triggered laws in a couple of states allowing the LP easier ballot access next time around. Seeing as how Gary Johnson got less than 1% of the vote, it wouldn't have mattered anyway. I don't feel bad for GJ since he had a great shot at a U.S. Senate seat in this very cycle and he turned it down. He deserves what he got although I did vote for him.

Warrior_of_Freedom
11-07-2012, 12:52 AM
GJ would of got my vote if there wasn't so many reasons not to vote for him.

He would of got plenty of Paul people to support him..if he ran for senate.
His platform was pretty much "Hey, I'm not Paul, but I'm on the ballot!"

CPUd
11-07-2012, 01:35 AM

What I have recently learned is that those funds are retroactive to this season as well, meaning there would have been about $10M or so paid out to this year's cycle. I never liked them using the 5% thing as a selling point, but now it makes them look even worse; like the reason the gary camp even pushed that is so they could clear their debts.

SpiritOf1776_J4
11-07-2012, 01:38 AM
The Libertarian Party would have received federal funding in the 2016. Also, it would have triggered laws in a couple of states allowing the LP easier ballot access next time around. Seeing as how Gary Johnson got less than 1% of the vote, it wouldn't have mattered anyway. I don't feel bad for GJ since he had a great shot at a U.S. Senate seat in this very cycle and he turned it down. He deserves what he got although I did vote for him.

Then they should have ran a better candidate...

Like Ron Paul in 1988!

sailingaway
11-07-2012, 09:08 AM

Like Ron Paul in 1988!

This is exactly the point, for me. And for those who are going to say 'you don't like anyone but Ron' I can give more of their candidates: Browne, Nolan, Badnarak (Sp?).... The last two cycles they left principles and went for GOP lite just as Ron Paul was waking the world up to principles and consistent, continuous action.

torchbearer has said, with justification, that those two events were connected, that principled people left the LP in droves to support Ron then couldn't vote in the LP convention for candidates, but for those who have only been looking at the LP since Ron's 2008 run, it still is the face they saw.

TCE
11-07-2012, 11:51 AM

Like Ron Paul in 1988!

I don't disagree with you. The LP definitely should have, but no one had answered the question put forth by papito.

@Sailing: I would much prefer our best and brightest working in the GOP than toiling away in the LP where no gains have ever been made.