PDA

View Full Version : Will Johnson get 5%?

VoluntaryAmerican
11-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Like to see what your thoughts and insights are on this.

I am looking at the current results here:

http://www.google.com/elections/ed/us/results

Looks like Johnson has about 1% of the vote in each state so far.

oyarde
11-06-2012, 07:29 PM
I do not , think ,he could get 5 %....

jcannon98188
11-06-2012, 07:34 PM
I think he'd be lucky to break 1% nationally.

BlackJack
11-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Won't matter. He's a puppet and a liar. Ron Paul forever.

PauliticsPolitics
11-06-2012, 07:36 PM
If you want something realistic to hope for:
If he can get over 1.06% - then he will be the most successful Libertarian candidate ever for President.
Though to be honest, I would be surprised if he breaks 0.7%...

Ekrub
11-06-2012, 08:36 PM
really is a shame we couldn't convince more Ron Paul people to vote for GJ.

nobody's_hero
11-06-2012, 08:59 PM
really is a shame we couldn't convince more Ron Paul people to vote for GJ.

What'll be a shame is if they're still trying to write in Ron Paul in 2016. Write-in campaigns sound very exciting and yeah I'd probably smear poop all over the walls if a write-in campaign was ever successful in winning a presidency, but it's just not gonna happen. I'm still somewhat bitter about the tossing-out of write-ins when I voted for Chuck Baldwin in 2008, so this time, I went with a candidate who actually appeared on the ballot. (of course I suppose the state of GA could throw GJ's votes out if they wanted to, and no one would be any wiser).

mport1
11-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Not even close. Looks like that LINO didn't fool many.

DrHendricks
11-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Not looking too good for the 5% right now. It really is too bad more in the liberty movement didn't make the move for GJ. I guess between the "Obama will destroy the country" and "No one can live up to Ron Paul" crowds he lost some support. At the end of the day it's about the ideas and not necessarily the people we elect. I'm afraid that is lost on many.

sailingaway
11-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Not looking too good for the 5% right now. It really is too bad more in the liberty movement didn't make the move for GJ. I guess between the "Obama will destroy the country" and "No one can live up to Ron Paul" crowds he lost some support. At the end of the day it's about the ideas and not necessarily the people we elect. I'm afraid that is lost on many.

Maybe people didn't think he stood for those ideas.

nobody's_hero
11-06-2012, 09:29 PM
I don't think the LP is going to have much of a chance from within the liberty movement because there seems to have built up a sense that they're opportunists. I don't know how to shake that notion, though.

For those who couldn't even stomach the LP ticket:

What exactly would it take to satisfy you in the future when the LP is picking nominees? I really don't care as much about particular personalities, I don't even think Gary Johnson was all that great (but I think he was a bit better than Barr), it should be about ideas. But I'll grant that some people simply don't have faith in all candidates to carry those ideas.

We need to be thinking about nominations now so we don't get 4 years down the road and have to repeat the same sort of treatment we got this election.

Carehn
11-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Maybe people didn't think he stood for those ideas.
I voted for GJ and he didn't stand for those Ideas they way I wanted him to. I voted for him as a protest vote and also because I could live with GJ as prez. but he was no Ron paul and I understand if some people did not want to vote for him.

Carehn
11-06-2012, 09:40 PM
I don't think the LP is going to have much of a chance from within the liberty movement because there seems to have built up a sense that they're opportunists. I don't know how to shake that notion, though.

For those who couldn't even stomach the LP ticket:

What exactly would it take to satisfy you in the future when the LP is picking nominees? I really don't care as much about particular personalities, I don't even think Gary Johnson was all that great (but I think he was a bit better than Barr), it should be about ideas. But I'll grant that some people simply don't have faith in all candidates to carry those ideas.

We need to be thinking about nominations now so we don't get 4 years down the road and have to repeat the same sort of treatment we got this election.

The LP needs to start meeting on a county level. even 4 or 5 people would do. and build on county elections and then go from there. I am trying this in my county but if in 4 years a liberty candidate is running in the republican party I will drop all the LP stuff and help him or her.

The Free Hornet
11-06-2012, 09:46 PM
I voted for GJ - flaws and all. RP isn't perfect either (just a lot closer).

nobody's_hero
11-06-2012, 09:47 PM
I voted for GJ and he didn't stand for those Ideas they way I wanted him to. I voted for him as a protest vote and also because I could live with GJ as prez. but he was no Ron paul and I understand if some people did not want to vote for him.

That's sort of how I feel. Ultimately it came down to choosing the one of three candidates on my ballot who at least paid lip service to civil liberties, bringing the troops home, and tackling the Federal Reserve (in GA there were no greens/independents and I already explained what happened here when I wrote-in back in 2008). We all know that none of that was discussed by either Romney or Obama in the official "debates."

Looking forward to 2016 (or 2020 if Romney wins tonight, I guess):

I think many are going to work to get Rand Paul the nomination for the GOP. However, we ought to start getting a consensus on who would be a decent second choice in the event that the GOP pulls stunts like they did this season, and we have to fall back on the libertarian candidate. What I worry will happen is the same thing that happened this year—where people just don't feel satisfied enough with the libertarian nominee to the point where they will either try to write-in Rand Paul or just stay home. I don't think we're going to get anywhere if we keep doing that, when the solution may be as simple as getting input for what people would look for in a 'backup plan' candidate. Your vote is your vote, but I'm desperate for suggestions on how the LP could earn it in the future.

EDIT: What do you all think of Judge Napolitano?

NoOneButPaul
11-06-2012, 09:48 PM
The LP needs to close up shop and come help us in the GOP.

300k of some of the best liberty fighters around, who understand the concepts better than most, could push us over the edge in a lot of conventions... it could be significant.

Every freedom loving American needs to converge on the GOP and drown the NeoCon nonsense OUT.

TCE
11-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Unless the LP looks itself in the mirror and starts focusing on state and local races, no one will take them seriously. It is extremely hard even for a Democrat or Republican to swoop in and win a U.S. House/Senate seat, much less a Third Party with an unknown. Most U.S. Congress members held a previous office. Winning local races are doable. Start with non-partisan Mayorial positions and work your way up. At the State level, winning a State Rep seat isn't that difficult. Target states and seats where this is possible. Running Presidential and Senate candidates every two/four years and getting slaughtered is completely demoralizing. If the LP is going to keep ignoring local races and keep trying to land a big fish, they are throwing away good money and resources for nothing.

I would also be okay with the below, but I would add that in strong Blue areas, running as a Democrat works, too:

300k of some of the best liberty fighters around, who understand the concepts better than most, could push us over the edge in a lot of conventions... it could be significant.

Every freedom loving American needs to converge on the GOP and drown the NeoCon nonsense OUT.

nobody's_hero
11-06-2012, 09:59 PM

I'm hoping to do both if I can get away with it. I just like having a back-up plan, and the LP has always been it, but here lately, they're picking candidates that simply don't meet the standards of this movement, apparently. (for example, I have no idea what Barr was doing on the ticket in 2008).

The liberty movement is developing a habit of putting all our eggs in one basket candidate. There will never be another Ron Paul, so lets get some ideas for future candidates. I'm willing to help push for freedom inside the GOP, but after what I saw this year, IMO we need a back-up candidate.

nobody's_hero
11-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Unless the LP looks itself in the mirror and starts focusing on state and local races, no one will take them seriously. It is extremely hard even for a Democrat or Republican to swoop in and win a U.S. House/Senate seat, much less a Third Party with an unknown. Most U.S. Congress members held a previous office. Winning local races are doable. Start with non-partisan Mayorial positions and work your way up. At the State level, winning a State Rep seat isn't that difficult. Target states and seats where this is possible. Running Presidential and Senate candidates every two/four years and getting slaughtered is completely demoralizing. If the LP is going to keep ignoring local races and keep trying to land a big fish, they are throwing away good money and resources for nothing.

I would also be okay with the below, but I would add that in strong Blue areas, running as a Democrat works, too:

Here in Georgia, we have a LP candidate who is running against a GOP incumbent with no democrat in the race. It's a two-way race between the Republican and the Libertarian, and the Libertarian is getting smashed.

I hate this state.