PDA

View Full Version : What are the laws on interstate commerce of gasoline?

nodeal
11-06-2012, 07:24 PM
I'm asking this question in light of the events that followed hurricane sandy in the northeast. It is my understanding that restrictions on the TYPE of fuel that enters states impacted by the storm have been lifted, but what other regulations are imposed upon the interstate commerce of gasoline? More importantly, how do these restrictions inhibit the ready availability of gasoline, especialy during a disaster such as hurricane sandy?

From a libertarian perspective, it is my understanding that were free trade restrictions lifted and price gouging allowed, the shortage of gasoline would have been much less severe. Any further insight you guys can offer me on this subject? I ask mainly because im having a hard time convincing people that price gouging would have helped during this natural disaster.

CaptUSA
11-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Really? this is an easy one to tell.

If the price goes up to $20/gallon, everyone and their brother would be buying gas cheap and taking it in to make a huge profit. Then, the region would have plenty of gas and the price would come back down.

But there are laws against "price gouging" and the only way to do this is illegally on the black market. It's still being done, but reputable businesses won't do because the cost if they get caught is too high.

There are also restrictions about certain additives in gas that go state by state, but a lot of those restrictions have been lifted. It's the price gouging lunacy that's screwing things up.

nobody's_hero
11-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Gas was down to $3.15 here in mid-GA. I jokingly told the gas station attendant that I should probably fill up before the election is over.

acptulsa
11-06-2012, 09:13 PM
You're supposed to charge and remit state taxes. Other than California additives, I don't know of much.

Dr.3D
11-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Gas was down to $3.15 here in mid-GA. I jokingly told the gas station attendant that I should probably fill up before the election is over.
I filled up today because I figured the price would go up after the election.