PDA

View Full Version : The Meaning of the Campaign Letter Requesting Money NOW

tmg19103
11-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Here is my take. RP has really taken off and the the campaign sees a chance to win some early primaries. If you look at teaparty07.com you can see that it on pace for about 38,000 pledges (assuming it does not pick up the last week, which I think it will). That will mean about $5-6 million that day, but I think $8-10 million is doable, but I also think the campaign may be worried about the slow pledge rate.

What the campaign is also worried about is that too many people are holding off for Dec. 16th and will only pledge $100 (Nov. 5th averaged $103 per person). Dec. 16 will still be a huge sucess, but what the campaign is saying is - can't we give some now as well as on the 16th?

I agree with this. While some may only be able to afford $100 on the 16th, I think (and I also believe the campaign thinks) that many people CAN afford to give now and during the weeks before the 16th AND also give $100 on the 16th.

We are the core of the campaign as the grassroots and it is not my place to tell people when, how, where and what to donate. I think some people got turned off by the campaign telling us what to do, but let's look at the message within the message - which is let's NOT use the 16th as an excuse NOT to donate anything for a month.

Yes, we are individuals and the grassroots, but understand the campaign's concern. IF you can afford to give now and on the 16th, strongly consider it. If you can only afford to give once, decide on now ot the 16th, but in that case I think the ideal from this board would be the 16th.

I for one am an advocate of digging deep and giving a little each week leading up to the 16th and then at least $100 on the 16th.

As for everyone else - your call. Not my place to tell you what to do.

dante
11-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Thank you for bringing some logic to the boards.

Also I believe that this is a good sign that the campaign is revising how much money they need when for the quarter as it shows they are adopting a more aggressive strategy to win!!!! The snowball is starting!

Mark Rushmore
11-20-2007, 02:47 PM
The Sky Is Falling The Sky Is Falling

JeffersonThomas
11-20-2007, 02:47 PM
bump

specsaregood
11-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Last report was that only about 3% of donors were maxed out, IIRC.

So the vast majority can legally donate now and on the 16th. Whether they are financially capable is a different matter.

Micahyah
11-20-2007, 02:49 PM
I think the campaign also realized that when people get excited on the 16th, even if they give now, when they see that number jumping up they will give big anyway. It's only natural, you want to be a part of a big event like that. So donors may think they only have $100 to give over the next month but we will stretch and give more if we give now and wait and see how the dec 16 escitement affects us that day.

me3
11-20-2007, 02:49 PM
I think people don't have enough confidence in the # of new donors that will be turned up for 12/16. The community and fund raising potential is not static, it is growing exponentially.

As the campaign spends, the campaign grows and this is reflected in the polls.

There is no reason people can't donate now, donate later, and still keep working to make Dec 16th a success.

Give them the money now to invest in growing the entire campaign for 12/16 and the primaries.

Devil_rules_in_extremes
11-20-2007, 02:52 PM
I will be donating some money now, and I will be donating on December 16th as well.

We are at a revolutionary crossroads with this campaign. I can dig deep now and muster $25 here and there all the way up to DEC 16, where I plan on donating $101.

It's for a good cause. :)

JeffersonThomas
11-20-2007, 02:54 PM
I think the campaign also realized that when people get excited on the 16th, even if they give now, when they see that number jumping up they will give big anyway. It's only natural, you want to be a part of a big event like that. So donors may think they only have $100 to give over the next month but we will stretch and give more if we give now and wait and see how the dec 16 escitement affects us that day.

Ditto. I'm a dirt poor college student but I could help but donate some from my Credit Card on Nov. 5th because it was really inspiring.

Bruehound
11-20-2007, 02:55 PM
I like the attitude of this thread!!!!