PDA

View Full Version : 5% doesn't really matter for 2016.

ShaneEnochs
11-06-2012, 12:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0eO0jGsn4c&feature=g-u-u

Feeding the Abscess
11-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Does he explain how the two parties will just change the rules, like the Republican party did in the primary with their 5% deal?

jkr
11-06-2012, 01:13 PM
BUMP 4 L8TR

SilentBull
11-06-2012, 01:15 PM
It matters a little. He said the Libertarian party would get a portion of the public funding cash if it reached 5%.

Andyc3020
11-06-2012, 01:21 PM
What about getting into debates? I read somewhere that 5% can get you into the major debates. Don't quote me on this one.

The ultimate goal is to change the Republican party from within. I just think voting for GJ sends a clear message that we will not budge on principles.

Elwar
11-06-2012, 01:33 PM
I recall in Georgia there were several ballot hurdles that went away if any party on a state ballot received over X% of the vote.

Usually the party would push for people to vote for the LP secretary of state or some such so that we could get ballot access the next time around. During presidential years they usually get such a bump from the presidential candidate.

They tried to do that in a way to make it seem like every party is on the same playing field. As long as your party made X% last time, you get on the ballot. Otherwise you have to go get a signature from 15% of all REGISTERED voters in your district, not just 15% of those who voted. Then the Republicans and Democrats get to confirm those signatures.

Bern
11-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Thread title is misleading. Unless of course, OP doesn't think money and ballot access "really matter" in future elections.

Vid in OP doesn't even consider the political leverage that a minor party has in negotiating with major parties on issues. I can guarantee you that both parties are going to sit up and take notice if the L party manages 5% of the vote - more than 10 times what it got in 2008.

Captain Shays
11-06-2012, 01:52 PM
aine
What about getting into debates? I read somewhere that 5% can get you into the major debates. Don't quote me on this one.

The ultimate goal is to change the Republican party from within. I just think voting for GJ sends a clear message that we will not budge on principles.
Getting into the televised debates is a whole other story. That criteria is set by the Commission for Presidential Debates (CPD). The panel is comprised of doners to the GOP and DNC and their threshold is 15% in varius polls.....that they control. If we want third party candidates to be included in the debates we need to attack it from another position. We should insist that the criteria is the number of states where the party's candidate is legally on the ballot and that when they have reached enough states to concievablly garnish enough electoral college votes to win the presidency. Then we need to attack them at the ballot access qualification process. This is where the 5% threshold can come into play to make a real difference because in every election the Democrats and Republicans are already on the ballot but, opposing parties need to gather an arbitrary number of signatures to get their candidate's name on the ballot in that state. Every state has a different threshold. Here in New Jersey the number is 38,000. In Pennsylvania its 72,000. In North and South Caolina its 100,000. Maine and Oregon its only 10,000. Vermont is 12,000. It's always recommended for the party to get three times the required number because of all the names the Republicrats will disqualify.
But if you know this stuff you realize how crooked and arbitrary and corrupt the whole thing is. We're not just talking about people signing a petition. What this means is that before your party can get their candidate's name on the ballot, you need an army of volunteers on the gound who are ready and willing to give up their time to ask total strangers for their name, address and phone number to get your relatively obscure candidate's name on the state ballot. Then you need 10,000-100,000 people who are willing to give total strangers their name address and phone number to get an obscure candidate's name on a ballot. It's really a monumental task and I have done it three times so I know how hard it is. Meanwhile the Republican and Democrat are already on the ballot and actively campaigning not having to exhaust their limited resources just to meet arbitary ballot access requirements.

Then there is the media. While the opposing party is just trying to get their names on the ballots the media already knows who is running as a Democrat or Republican so they get name recognition 24x7. Then, even after the opposing party has their candidate qualified in the state the media ignores him or her unless it's to marginalize them.

I am more than ready for the occupy media protests

ShaneEnochs
11-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Thread title is misleading. Unless of course, OP doesn't think money and ballot access "really matter" in future elections.

Vid in OP doesn't even consider the political leverage that a minor party has in negotiating with major parties on issues. I can guarantee you that both parties are going to sit up and take notice if the L party manages 5% of the vote - more than 10 times what it got in 2008.

It's not misleading at all. Getting 5% in this election will not have a major impact on 2016.