PDA

View Full Version : Your voting day experience?

ronpaulfollower999
11-06-2012, 07:12 AM
Voting day times-

Drive to and from voting place- 2 minutes
Wait in line to get ballot- 15 minutes
Wait in line for a free spot- 2 minutes
Vote (including screwing up one of my choices...just a stupid amendment, and I wasn't going to wait in line again to get a new ballot)- 1 minute
Wait in line to turn in ballot- 10 minutes

Of course, when I left no one was there. Oh well...

As far as turnout, voting demographics looked about the same as demographics in my neighborhood. If its any indication, the Guatemalan woman in front of me voted for Mitt Romney. The two women behind me were talking about how great Romney and Paul Ryan is even though they didn't know Paul Ryan's name. FACEPALM.

Spikender
11-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Wow at the not knowing Paul Ryan's name bit. I guess they just didn't watch their daily allotted amount of Fox News that day. And a +rep to you, my good sir.

Regardless, my voting experience was relatively drab. We have electronic voting machines here in Virginia, so you have to get a ticket that says you've been authorized to vote from this man and woman near the front door, and then I had to wait in a long line that zig zagged around the room. After getting to the voting machine, I had to vote on President, Senate, House, and some Constitutional Amendments to the State Constitution, which I took a lot of time to read and vote on. Afterwards, I got a cute little sticker saying I voted.

And I wrote in Ron Paul in my first ever election, and I feel very good about it.

Elwar
11-06-2012, 09:13 AM
It rained this morning in Florida, not sure how that will affect things.

Got a parking spot right up front, was the second one in line and filled everything out in about 10 minutes.

Since just about all of my Republican choices in the primary lost I voted against most of the Republican choices for local races and voted against all of the incumbents.

Voted for more Democrats than I ever have just because they did not allow write ins for those races and there were no third parties listed.

Voted for some non party guy for Congress because I know my Republican Congressman will win in this heavily Republican district. Wrote myself in when write in was available.

And of course, wrote in RON PAUL.

pcosmar
11-06-2012, 09:39 AM
I put wood in the furnace,, Will fix a car for Honey's friend..
Will vote along the way.. Hoping we cut the Dictatorial powers of Mich's Governor,

Tomorrow life will go on. (with less annoying phone calls)

jllundqu
11-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Early ballot... mailed in weeks ago... filled it out while weeping like a teenage girl while listening to Depeche Mode and drinking whiskey :(

georgiaboy
11-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Steady stream of voters at the poll today, typical for presidential elections. Well-staffed and very efficiently run, I might add.

Good percentage of younger-aged folks in line. Nice to see.

FunkBuddha
11-06-2012, 11:09 AM
I showed up at 7:45 this morning only to find out along with the 50 other people that the polls didn't open til 9, even though the website said 8. I could've left and gotten breakfast and a haircut but I decided to stick around since everyone was so pissed off. I got to listen to a guy call the election commissioner and cuss him out which was delightful. Tar and feathering was discussed positively as a punishment for the election commissioner by what seemed to be a mix of democrats and republicans. I was standing in line to an older southern black lady who had some colorful suggestions as well. All in all, I had a good time.

sparebulb
11-06-2012, 11:10 AM
I just returned from voting. Turnout is heavy with nearly 500 votes in my Missouri precinct. The last general election I remember about 50 people voted by about 11 AM.

I took a picture of my Gary Johnson vote on my ballot just to make sure that there is at least one dissenting vote that shows up in the precinct totals.

CaptUSA
11-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Line of about 10 people in front of me and after I voted there were still 10 people in line. So fairly steady.

The whole process took about 15 minutes from line to writing in Ron Paul to leaving.

I peeked at the list of people that had already voted and it was about 60/40 in favor of the republicans. That's pretty much how my precint adds up.

heavenlyboy34
11-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Walked in, threw my ballot in the early voting box, and left. They gave me a stupid "I voted today" sticker, which I stuck to a random surface later.

sparebulb
11-06-2012, 11:40 AM
One more item of note. The voting line came to an abrupt stop for about 10 minutes when a couple were told that they couldn't vote at this precinct. They said that they've always voted at this precinct and that they haven't changed residence. Well, I don't know how that turned out, but I sarcastically commented to a family member that this is why we need United Nations voting monitors. An older woman in line in front of me enthusiastically agreed with me citing that that would be a great thing at every polling station. My faith in the citizenry drops another notch.

pahs1994
11-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Showed up at noon... Two hot girls sitting in the hallway of my polling area. They probably voted for Obama, I should have struck up a conversation to find out :D. The Old ladys checking me in kept asking me to spell my last name even though i handed one of them my Drivers licence so they could have just read it. Some guy plugged in his card to the ivotronic machine. I cast ballots for Gary Johnson and libertarian ticket for state level positions, except for Congress and senate i voted Republican. the only vote i cast that I feel icky about is voting for Smith for senate in PA.

Some local republicans running in my area had funny signs of them wearing tri corner hats at tea party rallys. sadly no one i voted for will win except my one icky vote mith who has a shot. I hit the vote button on my machine and then again when i said "confirmed the ballot" but no paper trail i assume? No one was paying attention, idk if they are supposed to do anything to the machine when im done, so i just walked out of there.

QWDC
11-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Showed up around 10, no one else there. In my part of Kentucky we use these old electric/mechanical voting machines, no touch screens or LCD for us. Didn't know we had a constitutional amendment to vote for, but who in Kentucky isn't going to vote for "Hunting/fishing is a right"? Shame I don't live in Massie's district.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
11-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Polling place was swarmed. Mostly 65+ and minority voters on hand. No third party signs visible out front but getting in was really quick and I took my son in with me so he could see how it is done.

Pericles
11-06-2012, 01:05 PM
No line - done in 10 minutes.

Todd
11-06-2012, 01:09 PM
crazy hour wait in rural S.W Virginia. Strong Romney support.

Write in for Ron Paul - Machine was not calibrated well and had trouble typing the R. Thought it was rigged at first.

Write in for Bob Marshall for Senate - George Allen and Tim Kain are fools.

Voted Robert Hurt for Congress

PreDeadMan
11-06-2012, 01:11 PM
I just drove my dad to the voting place. I tried to convince him not to vote for Romney but he voted for Romney. I wrote in Ron Paul at the bottom and left all other fields for senate etc... blank..... I hope they count Write ins in New York. My dad was begging me to take him i told him i don't want to waste my gas plus it wont matter but he was doing reverse psychology and I gave in and figured oh well I might as well write in Ron Paul.... I was surprised the place had more people in it than I usually see in past elections certainly more than the primaries. There looked like there was...... 15 people or so in there lol.

kathy88
11-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Got there about 8:30? No wait, but the poll workers said I was number 175. In 2008 in my district there were 1030 total votes cast. In the 2012 primaries there were 306. So FUCK the 700+ who couldn't be bothered to vote in the primary and thus we got stuck with ASSHOLE ROMNEY.

Vent over.

Typed in Ron, took a pic, tweeted it. Drove to the courthouse. Applied for, paid for and acquired a pistol permit.

While I was in the Sheriff's Office the two clerks BEGGED me to run against the Prothonotary (Clerk of Courts) in 2014. I almost did it last time, but chickened out. They swear I will have party and court and County Commissioner's blessing. The woman in office has been unopposed the last 2 elections. I think I'm going to do it. It's not a "political" position, but it would be nice to have a more liberty minded person hanging with the court peeps and the Sheriffs, doncha think?

AGRP
11-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Done :)

kathy88
11-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Polling place was swarmed. Mostly 65+ and minority voters on hand. No third party signs visible out front but getting in was really quick and I took my son in with me so he could see how it is done.

I'm going to let my kids stay up until they drop tonight and watch the returns with me. Teaching moment.

Dianne
11-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Well whoever thinks they are having a bad day, it could not be worse than Dubya's morning:

http://dailycurrant.com/2012/11/06/george-bush-accidently-votes-obama/

Former U.S. president George W. Bush accidentally voted for Barack Obama today at a polling place near his Crawford, TX home.

According to local reports, the two-term Republican was confused by the instructions on his electronic voting machine and mistakenly cast a ballot he intended to discard.

Witnesses say Bush argued with poll workers for several minutes afterwards in a effort to redo his vote, but in accordance with state law they ultimately denied his request.

The embarrassing incident may have gone unnoticed if it weren't for a local newspaper reporter who happened to be voting in the next booth. Suzanna Everett, a politics correspondent for the Waco Times witnessed the entire ordeal and crafted a cunning scheme to make it public.

acptulsa
11-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Directed a gay couple to the right door. Heard them saying there were other things to vote about on the ballot; I'll let you imagine what that meant, but I assumed it meant they were about to do the same thing I did. Waited in line two or three minutes. The room in the church where the poll was set up was way too small, but we were all patient and polite about it. The two old folks behind the table were efficient and polite. The third, middle aged lady was effusive and polite, and made a big deal about putting an 'I voted' sticker on a two year old in line behind me. When she had gone, I quietly commented that she looked a bit young to vote. Her dad laughed.

Got the paper ballot, confirmed that America's Elect had indeed screwed Johnson off of our ballot (why the local LP trusted them to handle his ballot access I'll never know). Voted everything else on the ballot except president (no write in here). Voted down a couple of tax increase/bond issues and a few state constitutional amendments, and voted yes on the only tax cut.

Disappointed the effusive one by refusing the sticker and was back in the sunshine within about ten minutes.

acptulsa
11-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Former U.S. president George W. Bush accidentally voted for Barack Obama today at a polling place near his Crawford, TX home.

That's hilarious. I swear it was only by God's grace that we survived eight years of that incompetent clown. Not only could we get fooled again, but apparently he can too.

kathy88
11-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Well whoever thinks they are having a bad day, it could not be worse than Dubya's morning:

According to local reports, the two-term Republican was confused by the instructions on his electronic voting machine and mistakenly cast a ballot he intended to discard.

Witnesses say Bush argued with poll workers for several minutes afterwards in a effort to redo his vote, but in accordance with state law they ultimately denied his request.

The embarrassing incident may have gone unnoticed if it weren't for a local newspaper reporter who happened to be voting in the next booth. Suzanna Everett, a politics correspondent for the Waco Times witnessed the entire ordeal and crafted a cunning scheme to make it public.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ROFLMFAO HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Made my day!

CaptUSA
11-06-2012, 01:25 PM

The embarrassing incident may have gone unnoticed if it weren't for a local newspaper reporter who happened to be voting in the next booth. Suzanna Everett, a politics correspondent for the Waco Times witnessed the entire ordeal and crafted a cunning scheme to make it public.Kinda puts that whole hanging chad controversy into perspective, eh?

Elwar
11-06-2012, 01:27 PM

lol...good one

AGRP
11-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Voted for Ron Paul and a few legalization measures :)

CaptUSA
11-06-2012, 01:31 PM
"First of all, everything was very mismaladjusted on the screen. You shouldn't put the senators and the congresspeople and the presidents all jumbled together like that. It's too crowded. Just confuses folks."
Excuse my ignorance, but is the Daily Currant a spoof site? This is like an Onion piece.

BSU kid
11-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Voted Early. Had to go through a metal detector and security to do it...old lady ahead of me got a pat down/wanding.

mport1
11-06-2012, 01:36 PM
I went, voted, and immediately regretted it. Should have slept in for another 30 minutes.

acptulsa
11-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but is the Daily Currant a spoof site? This is like an Onion piece.

I had the same thought. But this is Dubya. You know, the guy who stood next to Queen Elizabeth and said the last time she visited the U.S. was in 1776. So, I also find it completely believable.

Voted Early. Had to go through a metal detector and security to do it...old lady ahead of me got a pat down/wanding.

That's insane. Are they afraid terrists will kidnap all our poll workers? Or are they afraid terrists will hijack the polling place and fly it into some skyscraper?

Just nuts.

Philhelm
11-06-2012, 01:56 PM
I'm going to let my kids stay up until they drop tonight and watch the returns with me. Teaching moment.

Yeah, teaching them a harsh lesson in disappointment. :D

Todd
11-06-2012, 02:43 PM

hey Dianne...isn't the dailycurrant a joke site?

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
11-06-2012, 03:35 PM
No wait for me around 1:00, but I wasn't registered in the county I lived in. I titled a car in another county, and they must have switched my registration, even though I owned a house in the county I tried to vote in today. (and voted in the primary with no problems) They told me to go vote in the other county. I asked if there was anything illegal about that. They said now. I called the other county. They informed me if I voted in a county I didn't live in, it is a felony. So, back to the first place again and asked that they call a "supervisor." They had me cast a "provisional ballot" and said it would probably count. I wrote in Paul, of course.

Noob
11-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Showed up around 10, no one else there. In my part of Kentucky we use these old electric/mechanical voting machines, no touch screens or LCD for us. Didn't know we had a constitutional amendment to vote for, but who in Kentucky isn't going to vote for "Hunting/fishing is a right"? Shame I don't live in Massie's district.

We have the same constitutional amendment Hunting/fishing is a right on the ballot here in Idaho. I voted for it.

jclay2
11-06-2012, 04:41 PM
When I put my ballot in the machine, it kicked out the error "undervote". I then had to explain to the polling person that I refused to vote in some of the sections where only 1 option was given. She then allowed it to override after giving me a few more glaring looks.

UpperDecker
11-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Voting was so easy for my girlfriend and I today. Our polling place is literally right next to our apartment complex at a church and there was nobody else there, so we were in and out. The people working were very pleasant as well, which was nice. Nothing eventful, except for the workers having trouble explaining things to a man who only spoke Vietnamese (i believe).

V3n
11-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Update from Ohio - I personally witnessed Provisional Ballot Controversy

Lady_V3n & I got there are 4:30pm - a little line, but not much - there was a woman in front of us who was told she had to vote a Provisional ballot, they told her she ordered an Absentee ballot. She said she did not, she was pretty upset. I asked her if she filled out the mail-in form, and she told me she never did. They gave her a Provisional ballot.

Behind us a guy was trying to vote - they told him that he never registered. But.. his wife was in the book! He said he mailed his registration in the same day that they mailed his wife's - how was she in the book, and he wasn't? They had no answer for that. I don't know what happened after that, if they gave him a provisional or turned him away - I don't know.

When they were flipping through the book for our names, we saw a TON of "Absentee Ballot" marked. While I was there, I saw at least 3 other people given Provisional ballots.

Ohio is going to be a MESS.

opal
11-06-2012, 06:08 PM
I stayed home and answered a shit ton of phone calls reminding me to go vote... bots and real humans

sent in absentee ballot over a week ago

anaconda
11-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Voted at the firehouse on a lovely day in yuppie north east Oakland, CA. They were clueless about a hard copy list of write in candidates. Eventually they found one in a binder. I wanted to match the spelling, in case Romney's lawyers try to invalidate write-ins for Paul! My entire 3 pages of ballots were swallowed up into a reader about the size of small wash machine. The guy said I could feed them in upside or down, front or back, and the reader would still read the ballot.

anaconda
11-06-2012, 06:37 PM
a shit ton of phone calls reminding me to go vote... bots and real humans

My g/f turned off the ringer for me before she went to work.

invisible
11-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Another person got off the bus at the same stop as ourselves and started walking towards our polling place. She asked if we were going to vote. "We sure are", I replied, "I really hope your not going to vote for obomney". She laughed, then with a look of sadness, said that she had already registered, so she didn't really have a choice in who she could vote for. I told her that there were lots of other choices on the ballot, like Gary Johnson running as a Libertarian, jill stein running for the green party, virgil goode running for the Constitution party, and that she could vote for anyone she wanted, even if she wanted to write someone in. I explained that it was only in the primary election that you had to vote for someone in the party you were registered with, and that since this is the general election, she could vote for whoever she wanted, no one else had to know, and she didn't have to vote for obomney if she didn't want to. Her response was "gee, thanks, I didn't know any of that". I could only wonder how typical she is of the average uninformed voter.

QueenB4Liberty
11-06-2012, 07:06 PM
It took me like a half an hour to vote. Waiting in line. I was there when the polls opened but there were people in front of me. I think that's because my last name, there were lots of us in that line. But once I got to vote, it went fast.

Occam's Banana
11-06-2012, 07:38 PM
My voting day experience? More enjoyable and far, *far* more productive than voting: watching Gangnam Style over and over and over ....

Noob
11-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Here are the Results in Idaho.

Mitt Romney [R] 420,390 65% (X)
Barack Obama [D] 212,699 33%
Jill Stein [I] 4,401 1%
Gary Johnson [L] 9,454 1%
Virgil Goode [C] 2,220 0%
"Rocky" Anderson [I] 2,497 0%