PDA

View Full Version : Donating Blood: Do You Do It?

dannno
11-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Poll above.. If you don't donate for non-medical reasons, please feel free to comment on why.

My gf is trying to convince me to donate my blood for the hurricane victims on the east coast.

I didn't think I could donate, I didn't know they were ok with people who had copious amounts of "illegal drugs" in their system donating blood.

Whoever gets my blood is going to be one lucky son of a bitch. I guarantee at least 2 hours without pain/suffering.

Danke
11-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Maybe she just wants to see you bleed for once.

Zippyjuan
11-05-2012, 01:37 PM
The last time I checked I am considered "unable to donate"- not because I have any underlying causes but because I was in Europe during an outbreak of Mad Cow Disease. And that was over 20 years ago.

http://www.americasblood.org/go.cfm?do=page.view&pid=2

Will travel abroad make me ineligible to donate blood?

Travel to certain countries may prevent you from donating blood. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has strict policies in place to prevent the theoretical risk of spreading mad cow disease in the blood supply. Check with your blood center if you have questions about these common travel-related deferrals:

United Kingdom
(Total three months or more, 1980-1996)

The FDA seeks to prevent transmission of Creutzfeldt-Jakob (CJD) or any strain of the disease (vCJD) through the blood supply. Read about new donor restrictions.

CJD and vCJD are caused by eating beef contaminated with Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy or Mad cow disease. There have been no known cases of vCJD being transmitted through blood. This ban is effective May 2002.

The duration for this particluar ban is listed as "Indefinate".

Lindsey
11-05-2012, 01:45 PM
I've never donated, but I have received more than a few units in the last few weeks. Thanks to those who do donate!

Nirvikalpa
11-05-2012, 01:46 PM
I donate blood when I can, but have been deferred the past 4/7 tries (I have a normal pulse ~85, and with getting myself worked up it's not unlikely to go over 100, which is the limit for being able to donate).

The times I've donated have been pleasurable. There are a lot of rules and restrictions however, ranging from antibiotic use to piercings and tattoos and weight.

Drug use isn't really asked about - all the times I've been asked about "recreation drug activity" they ask about "recreational intravenous drugs," which makes sense. Never marijuana, etc etc.

emazur
11-05-2012, 01:47 PM
I did once in my senior year of high school but got dizzy afterwards and had to lie down for at least 20 mins and was late for my after school job.

When I was in college, I sold my plasma to nearby place. Did that many, many times. Only got dizzy once or twice

Confederate
11-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Donated once, almost passed out after. Never did it again.

Nirvikalpa
11-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Yeah, it's quite common to feel woozy, especially if you hover around the weight limit for donating blood. That said, I have seen 6'2 300lb men get lightheaded after donating blood. It happens... it's usually why they provide you with cookies and juices, or even a hot meal sometimes, for donating.

If you're donating whole blood, the amount donated is roughly a pint of blood. A pint of blood ~ 1lb. You are donating ~1/10th (women) or ~1/12th (men) of your blood - so your body must compensate.

Confederate
11-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Yeah, it's quite common to feel woozy, especially if you hover around the weight limit for donating blood. That said, I have seen 6'2 300lb men get lightheaded after donating blood. It happens... it's usually why they provide you with cookies and juices, or even a hot meal sometimes, for donating.

If you're donating whole blood, the amount donated is roughly a pint of blood. A pint of blood ~ 1lb. You are donating ~1/10th (women) or ~1/12th (men) of your blood - so your body must compensate.

I donated in college, I was 5'10' but only 140lbs. The nurse was really sweet though, and I did have my fair share of cookies.

QuickZ06
11-05-2012, 02:05 PM
My gf

Nice try........you almost had me with this story until I got to here.

QuickZ06
11-05-2012, 02:09 PM
On real note though, I have given blood I think around 5-6 times never denied, yet. Only felt dizzy once and that was when they took a lot more out of me, think it was 2 bags instead of the one. Guess I was at the vamp blood drive that time.

gwax23
11-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Nope scared of needles. Im a pussy I know. And a selfish basterd cause I want all my blood to myself. Least im honest ;)

I always hated how forceful the people who ran those things where at schools and such. Donate or your a bad person, really pushing it down your throat make you feel bad otherwise. Many donated to simply get out of class free food and the other benefits not for the actual reasons for donating. Meh.

specialkornflake
11-05-2012, 02:20 PM
On real note though, I have given blood I think around 5-6 times never denied, yet. Only felt dizzy once and that was when they took a lot more out of me, think it was 2 bags instead of the one. Guess I was at the vamp blood drive that time.

Sometimes they ask for double if they are especially low but they will ask you beforehand. I've felt like it is a good survival technique to donate blood because every time I donate my body gets used to losing significant amounts of blood without passing out. The first time I gave blood I did almost pass out but subsequently it has gotten better. If you are blood type O- your blood is especially helpful because anyone can receive it, so it's worth overcoming obstacles to donate. While you are working on donating blood you should consider signing up to be an organ donor. (The only reason I heard that had some reason to not consider it is if you feared them not trying as hard as they could to save your life to get your organs) And finally you should also consider signing up to the bone marrow registry.

phill4paul
11-05-2012, 02:21 PM
I give several times a year. Mostly just when I have time off and notice a donation drive. Never for a particular emergency but if time and circumstance allows.

ctiger2
11-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Any donated blood goes directly to the satanic bankers who lap it up.

heavenlyboy34
11-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Not yet. I would if I had the chance, time, etc. though.

sailingaway
11-05-2012, 02:24 PM
I used to, every 8 weeks (they make you wait 8 weeks so you don't get anemic) but then I started having friends or friends of friends, or members of organizations, needing clean blood and not wanting to use blood banks or wanting it 'repaid' into private blood banks, and I got out of the habit of doing it, because I did it for that instead. That hasn't happened for a while so I should start again.

JK/SEA
11-05-2012, 02:29 PM
no i don't, for the reasons in the tube.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KvgtEnABY

kathy88
11-05-2012, 02:43 PM
I donate pretty regularly.

amy31416
11-05-2012, 02:50 PM
I've donated a couple of times, but both times I passed out--and the last time I had something akin to a seizure. They recommended that I don't donate anymore because I've scared the shit out of them.

AFPVet
11-05-2012, 02:57 PM
I donate blood when I can, but have been deferred the past 4/7 tries (I have a normal pulse ~85, and with getting myself worked up it's not unlikely to go over 100, which is the limit for being able to donate).

The times I've donated have been pleasurable. There are a lot of rules and restrictions however, ranging from antibiotic use to piercings and tattoos and weight.

Drug use isn't really asked about - all the times I've been asked about "recreation drug activity" they ask about "recreational intravenous drugs," which makes sense. Never marijuana, etc etc.

Yeah, I have only been deferred one time for tachycardia due to my nerves. I take Ativan as needed and I have to be on a low dose beta blocker for a little while. I was diagnosed with nerves just before getting out of the Air Force, but it comes and goes. I may want to try getting more B-vitamins.

I've never had a negative experience while donating. No lightheadedness or anything like that. I have plenty of iron in my blood, so that helps.

dannno
11-05-2012, 03:38 PM
I may want to try getting more B-vitamins.

I had some grass fed liver and beef today, so I am feeling like if any day is a good day to do it, this is it.

fisharmor
11-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Nope scared of needles.

Well, I'm not scared of needles. It's just that one place inside my arm.
Every time I've had to give a blood sample I get some shaved orangutan poking and stabbing for five minutes before getting anywhere.
You wanna do that on my neck? Fine, I'll give blood then.
But not the inside of my arm. Something primal inside me doesn't like that.
I'm fighting the urge to pick up a chair and beat you to death after the first stab.

opal
11-05-2012, 03:52 PM
weird blood disorder here.. can't - Leyden factor 5 - I'm way too clotty

youngbuck
11-05-2012, 05:09 PM
If you're gonna be donating blood, chlorella is an excellent blood builder. You could bolster your blood pre and post donation.

dannno
11-05-2012, 05:12 PM
If you're gonna be donating blood, chlorella is an excellent blood builder. You could bolster your blood pre and post donation.

I'll probably pickup an Odwalla Superfood, then, thanks.

LibForestPaul
11-05-2012, 05:16 PM
When they started to ask (demand) id, ask 40 questions, want ss#, and state blood may be used for other purpose, sorry, no dice.

MozoVote
11-05-2012, 06:38 PM
I have been donating for a few years during a lunch break. Never felt dizzy after a donation, but I do feel like it's harder to concentrate at the end of the day.

QuickZ06
11-05-2012, 08:28 PM
I've donated a couple of times, but both times I passed out--and the last time I had something akin to a seizure. They recommended that I don't donate anymore because I've scared the shit out of them.

Yeah i'm going to have to agree.

dannno
11-05-2012, 09:52 PM
I did it. I'm a hero.

seyferjm
11-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Did it once and got really sick and dizzy afterwards, doc told me not to do it again after that.

John F Kennedy III
11-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Sometimes they ask for double if they are especially low but they will ask you beforehand. I've felt like it is a good survival technique to donate blood because every time I donate my body gets used to losing significant amounts of blood without passing out. The first time I gave blood I did almost pass out but subsequently it has gotten better. If you are blood type O- your blood is especially helpful because anyone can receive it, so it's worth overcoming obstacles to donate. While you are working on donating blood you should consider signing up to be an organ donor. (The only reason I heard that had some reason to not consider it is if you feared them not trying as hard as they could to save your life to get your organs) And finally you should also consider signing up to the bone marrow registry.

I donated blood once. I will never be an organ donor.

JFKIII goes to visit a friend in the hospital.

6 hours later the doctor is telling his wife "I'm sorry ma'am, we lost him".

Uriah
11-05-2012, 10:20 PM
I've donated probably half a dozen times. Never gotten woozey or lightheaded.

Bruno
11-05-2012, 10:21 PM
I donate fairly regularly, up to around 6 gallons now. I had donated only a few times before my dad died from a procedure to treat his leukemia 15 years ago. Then I decided to do so more often to help others who need it.
I won't do double-red anymore, because it impacts my cardio so much and I really feel it on my runs for weeks afterwards.

John F Kennedy III
11-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Did it once and got really sick and dizzy afterwards, doc told me not to do it again after that.

You're sig sounds like Star Wars. But all I find on google is a death metal band named Nasum.

Agorism
11-05-2012, 10:45 PM
I don't mind donating when I'm not having a busy month but it makes me really tired and I usually fall asleep almost instantly after getting home right after I give blood.

dannno
11-06-2012, 04:18 PM
bump