PDA

View Full Version : General Hell of a choice and I hope I donít regret it.

klamath
11-04-2012, 11:45 AM
I donít believe I ever went into a election with as many factors pulling on my decision.
Do I vote for Obama just because I want to rub the republican parties nose in it for nominating another Neocon? No, I live in California and my vote wonít make a difference and I donít want Obama getting a mandate.

Do I vote for Obama because his rhetoric is less firery toward Iran? Maybe, but Obama has a proven record of starting wars while Romney doesnít. Romney talks bigger and badder than Obama but I have long ago gotten over listening to what a politician says and go by what they DO. ďHumble foreign policyĒ anyone. Romney has no record on foreign policy.

Do I vote for Obama because of his economic policies? No, there is nothing about Obamaís economic policy I can stand. Yes he does, to his very soul exude a anti free enterprise attitude.

Do I vote for Obama because he ended discrimination against gays serving honorable in the military? No because he didnít just establish a policy that all Americans can train a serve in the military regardless, he gave special rights to gays serving and kept restrictions against heterosexuals.

In the end nobama.

Do I vote for Romney because he might not be as bad a warmonger as he talks? No because he seems to know very little about foreign policy and would rely on advisors. His advisors are all the same ones that advised Bush.

Do I vote for Romney because he will repeal Obama care? Again what has he done versus what he says. Isnít happening.

Do I vote for Romney because I think his more business friendly attitude would psychologically improve the economy? Maybe, but I think his crony capitalism would counteract the good.

Do I vote for Romney because he will cut the budget? No, because if he cuts the social programs he will raise the defense budget just as much.

In the end no Romney.

Do I write in RP? No, as the only reason I would write in RP is to show the republicans where they drove my vote to but I wrote in RP last time in CA and they donít count write in votes for like three months, long after the election analysis was over.

How about the third party candidates? The only one that will solidly show where the RP voters went is Gary Johnson. Libertarian candidates traditionally get around .5% of the vote. Anything above that is mostly going to be disenfranchised Republicans a number that republicans are going to be taking a close look at in a razor thin election. GJ will not win and if I thought he would I wouldnít be voting for him because of his prochoice, and rabid prodrug beliefs and other deficiencies.
I want the Republican party to realize that neocons donít win nation election anymore and Rand is in the winning wing of the party. Above all the republican faithful want to win and will vote for who they think will win ie Romney.
So I voted for GJ for completely strategic reasons with Randís run in mind but I really am starting to regret that vote. I may have shot my strategic plan right in the foot. I do not want to promote the libertarian party. All parties have corruption and the libertarian party is no different and I agree with the platform no more than the Republican party.
Suddenly I see the 5% goal for GJ being batted around so the libertarian party getís into the debates next election. Great! If GJ getís 5% he WILL run as a libertarian in 2016 getting into the debates against RAND! Even if GJ defers to Rand the libertarian candidate will make the debates. So the one time we have real chance to get a libertarian republican into the Whitehouse the libertarian party candidate gets into the debates and draws 1 or 2% from him causing Rand to lose. Something for the Rand camp to think about before voting Johnson.

KCIndy
11-04-2012, 11:52 AM
For what it's worth, Klamath, I can empathize with your pain. I have NEVER seen such a crappy field of candidates running for president. Hell, even in '08 I was able to vote for Chuck Baldwin with a (relatively) clear conscious. This time?? Bleech.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think there's a chance in hell that GJ is going to get more than 2% of the vote. And even that would be a record. I'm guessing around one percent.

And before everyone piles on - I voted for the guy.

But I truly believe that we here on RPF are an exception. Most people, once they get into the voting booth, are going to fall prey to that insidious little voice chanting, "You're gonna waste your vo-oote! You're gonna waste your vo-oote!" and they will end up picking the R or the D.

RonPaulFanInGA
11-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Might as well write in cartoon characters this election, with these "choices" on the ballot.

Daffy Duck-Dick Tracy 2012!

Czolgosz
11-04-2012, 12:02 PM
You made a better choice than most. Nothing wrong with voting GJ or writing in RP (I'm in Kalifornia, I'll be writing in RP).

thoughtomator
11-04-2012, 12:16 PM
I don't think voting LP is a bad idea, if for no other reason than to put the gun to the head of the GOP and say "Make my day".

Right now the GOP doesn't think there's a price to be paid for defrauding us and lying to us. Having the LP take a serious advance to major party status would not only show them we are serious, but it would provide us an alternative that the GOP is currently refusing to provide.

11-04-2012, 01:29 PM
GJ was a good choice. He is not going to get 5% of the popular vote and I believe the debate threshold is 15% in polling for the next election anyway. So no worries, you made a good choice.