PDA

View Full Version : Drudge Report: Anarchy in Queens! - Hurricane Sandy Aftermath

FrankRep
11-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Queens residents arm themselves in the post-storm blackout from looters (http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/queens-residents-arm-looters-article-1.1196031)
Residents feel isolated and some use guns, baseball bats, booby traps — even a bow and arrow — to defend themselves.

NY Daily News
November 2, 2012

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1196098.1351949739!/img/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/bow.JPG

When night falls in the Rockaways, the hoods come out.

Ever since Sandy strafed the Queens peninsula and tore up the boardwalk, it’s become an often lawless place where cops are even scarcer than electrical power and food. Locals say they are arming themselves with guns, baseball bats, booby traps — even a bow and arrow — to defend against looters.

Thugs have been masquerading as Long Island Power Authority (LIPA) workers, knocking on doors in the dead of night. But locals say the real workers have been nowhere in sight, causing at least one elected official — who fears a descent into anarchy if help doesn’t arrive soon — to call for the city to investigate the utility.

Further exacerbating desperate conditions, it could take at least a month to repair the the bridge that connects the Rockaways to the city subway system, officials said.

“We booby-trapped our door and keep a baseball bat beside our bed,” said Danielle Harris, 34, rummaging through donated supplies as children rode scooters along half-block chunk of the boardwalk that had marooned into the middle of Beach 91st St.

“We heard gunshots for three nights in a row,” said Harris, who believed they came from the nearby housing projects.

Carly Ruggieri, 27, who lives in water-damaged house on the block, said she barricades her door with a bed frame. “There have been people in power department uniforms knocking on doors and asking if they’re okay, but at midnight.”

And another local surfer said he has knives, a machete and a bow and arrow on the ready. Gunshots and slow-rolling cars have become a common fixture of the night since Hurricane Sandy.

“I would take a looter with a boa. If I felt threatened I would definitely use it,” said Keone Singlehurst, 42. “Its like the Wild West. A borderline lawless situation.”

City Councilman James Sanders (D-Far Rockaway) said he fears the situation will devolve into anarchy.

“We have an explosive mix here,” said Sanders. “People will take matters into their own hands.”

Full Story:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/queens-residents-arm-looters-article-1.1196031

erowe1
11-03-2012, 01:27 PM
“We booby-trapped our door... said Danielle Harris, 34...middle of Beach 91st St.

Somebody doesn't understand the concept of booby traps.

tod evans
11-03-2012, 01:28 PM
It's good to see "we the people" standing up for themselves!

Even if they are complaining that the cops aren't doing it for them.

kathy88
11-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Finally some good news in all this. Residents arm themselves. About fucking time.

Dr.3D
11-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Somebody doesn't understand the concept of booby traps.
Well, they are for catching Boobies.

CaptainAmerica
11-03-2012, 01:44 PM
guns? you dont say........

Meatwasp
11-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Anarchy BS. People are protecting their homes.

HOLLYWOOD
11-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Sorry, Mayor Bloomberg has all resources takened to protecting; Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase WaMu, Citigroup, Morgan Stanley, UBS, Wall St, NY FED, Freedom Fascism Tower, and Chity Hall.

When are these dumbasses in the 5 burroughs going to realize what Bloomberg and big government are all about?

acptulsa
11-03-2012, 01:56 PM

This.

Why does thugs wage war on law-abiding citizens = business as usual and law abiding citizens begin fighting back = anarchy?

Are the five boroughs simply an insane asylum? Or is it just the New York newspaper offices that fit that description?

I'm glad I live where 'thugs breaking in get shot' is business as usual. Otherwise known as, 'civilization'.

FrancisMarion
11-03-2012, 02:08 PM
City Councilman James Sanders (D-Far Rockaway) said he fears the situation will devolve into anarchy.

“We have an explosive mix here,” said Sanders. “People will take matters into their own hands.”

Newsflash Sanders. What you have now is anarchy. Violence is not prerequisite to define anarchy. The violence is the "devolving".

tod evans
11-03-2012, 02:20 PM
This.

Why does thugs wage war on law-abiding citizens = business as usual and law abiding citizens begin fighting back = anarchy?

Are the five boroughs simply an insane asylum? Or is it just the New York newspaper offices that fit that description?

I'm glad I live where 'thugs breaking in get shot' is business as usual. Otherwise known as, 'civilization'.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Danke
11-03-2012, 02:21 PM

This.

good points.

alucard13mmfmj
11-03-2012, 02:28 PM
At least there are no rapes and sexual assaults because of the lack of guns and law enforcement... right?... right?????

AGRP
11-03-2012, 02:31 PM
I lived in a state of anarchy when I went for a walk today. It was a horribly peaceful experience.

Barrex
11-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Like I predicted: After this there will be a lot more second amendment supporters.

Tpoints
11-03-2012, 03:09 PM
This.

I don't think they were calling the self defense part "anarchy", but the fact that residents were alarmed or in such danger, to be anarchy to begin with.

Self defense is business as usual, but having to, rather than sleeping, is not. It is precisely because some areas, such as where you live, people are more armed, more prepared ,that there will be less looters, and less lawlessness, less incidents, and less liekly to be dubbed "anarchy".

alucard13mmfmj
11-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Like I predicted: After this there will be a lot more second amendment supporters.

didn't seem like it after katrina.

matt0611
11-03-2012, 04:56 PM
But but I thought Mayor Toolberg said that us lowly citizens don't need guns for our protection and government will protect us?

fisharmor
11-03-2012, 05:03 PM
A little well-armed anarchy would be the best thing to happen to the place.

Barrex
11-04-2012, 02:27 AM
didn't seem like it after katrina.

Yea but people now know what happend during and after Katrina.

american.swan
11-04-2012, 03:13 AM
Once the hoodlums know the masses are armed peace will decend over the disaster areas.

liberalnurse
11-04-2012, 06:16 AM
A bit off topic. One of our CO's National Guard Unit has been called up to go to NYC to "protect the stores." Said he may be gone 2 wks to 2 mos.

tod evans
11-04-2012, 06:20 AM
A bit off topic. One of our CO's National Guard Unit has been called up to go to NYC to "protect the stores." Said he may be gone 2 wks to 2 mos.

Wonder why the store owners aren't permitted to protect their own interests?

truelies
11-04-2012, 07:02 AM
yeppers and when a Citizen takes down a thuggie or three to defend family and home the scum in the projects will be screaming 'justice for treyvon' & the worthless NYC mayor will be me tooing and sending XKE mercs to disarm the Citizens so that the thuggies can stay safe out there.