PDA

View Full Version : Throw stuff at linesmen.....Why?

tod evans
11-03-2012, 06:22 AM
Are these people nuts or is this more sensationalism from faux-newz?

Utility workers pelted with eggs after Bridgeport, Conn. mayor blasts provider

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/02/bridgeport-utility-workers-report-having-objects-thrown-at-them-by-residents/

Angry residents pelted utility crews with eggs as they tried to restore power in Bridgeport, Conn., after the mayor claimed the local power company had "shortchanged" the state's largest city as it tries to recover from superstorm Sandy.
United Illuminating workers reported eggs and other objects being thrown at them a day after Mayor Bill Finch said the utility was taking care of wealthy suburbs while his constituents suffered. The unrest caused United Illuminating to pull its workers out until the city agreed to provide police protection.
"Citizens began throwing things at the crews," Michael West, a spokesman for United Illuminating, told FoxNews.com. "It started to get pretty hairy. They did not feel safe."
West said it started with verbal abuse and escalated.
"It started to get pretty hairy. They did not feel safe."
- Michael West, spokesman for United Illuminating
"We communicated with the city and said if you don’t provide police support, we can't have our crews there in harm's way," he said.
West also took issue with Finch's claims, made at a Wednesday press conference.
"I'm sick and tired of Bridgeport being shortchanged," Finch said, noting that Bridgeport has the largest number of United Illuminating ratepayers and claimingg it should be treated better by the New Haven-based utility.
United Illuminating has denied giving priority to wealthy customers, while ignoring Bridgeport residents.
"Clearly people took to heart what they heard, even though it was not factual," West said of the reported incidents Wednesday. "We don’t choose favorites."
He said the city agreed to provide police support to UI workers after the company made the request.
The Wall Street Journal reported that 25,000 homes and business in Bridgeport were still without power Thursday, a fifth straight day after so-called superstorm Sandy hit the East Coast. The extended outages appeared to be primarily in the city's poorest neighborhoods, according to the newspaper.
In Connecticut, which had 374,000 customers left in the dark after the storm, the first priority for utility companies was to clear safety hazards, such as fallen trees and downed power lines, while conducting damage assessment and working to restore power to hospitals and police and fire stations.
Sandy struck states from North Carolina to Maine on Monday and Tuesday, leaving an estimated 8.2 million customers without power across 20 states.
Devastation from the storm doubled -- possibly even tripled -- that caused by Irene, which hit the East Coast in August 2011 as a powerful tropical storm, knocking out power to 8.4 million customers in 13 states.
While tensions mounted over the outages, utility companies appeared better equipped at restoring to the mass power outages when compared to Irene.
For example, West said that UI had 800 personnel on the ground before Sandy even hit the East Coast. During Irene, only 700 personnel were deployed during the peak of the storm, West said.

phill4paul
11-03-2012, 06:28 AM
Sir, the natives appear to be restless.
Send in the cavalry

Origanalist
11-03-2012, 06:30 AM
Sounds plausable enough to me. Idiots abound, and are easily manipulated. We are talking about people in the city.......:D

tod evans
11-03-2012, 06:35 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to phill4paul again.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Origanalist again.

donnay
11-03-2012, 06:36 AM
Sir, the natives appear to be restless.
Send in the cavalry

Why couldn't the cavalry be like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K4BvF_sb3Y

jay_dub
11-03-2012, 06:55 AM
Are these people nuts or is this more sensationalism from faux-newz?

Utility workers pelted with eggs after Bridgeport, Conn. mayor blasts provider

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/02/bridgeport-utility-workers-report-having-objects-thrown-at-them-by-residents/

Angry residents pelted utility crews with eggs as they tried to restore power in Bridgeport, Conn., after the mayor claimed the local power company had "shortchanged" the state's largest city as it tries to recover from superstorm Sandy.

United Illuminating workers reported eggs and other objects being thrown at them a day after Mayor Bill Finch said the utility was taking care of wealthy suburbs while his constituents suffered.

The Wall Street Journal reported that 25,000 homes and business in Bridgeport were still without power Thursday, a fifth straight day after so-called superstorm Sandy hit the East Coast.

Sandy struck states from North Carolina to Maine on Monday and Tuesday,

Bridgeport's mayor must be a graduate of the Ray Nagin School of Mayorin'.

Hmmmm....storm hits on Monday night....by Thursday it's the fifth straight day without power?

Oh, wait....it's Fox News.

JK/SEA
11-03-2012, 09:30 AM
shameful, but should be no surprise. Geez, these people had what...over a week to prepare?.....

FrankRep
11-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Wiki: Bridgeport, Connecticut > Demographics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgeport,_Connecticut#Demographics)

This will explain things. Silly Liberals!

Democratic - 58.23%
Republican - 8.90%
Unaffiliated - 32.83%

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
11-03-2012, 09:38 AM
I'm having a hard time believing the residents can't provide security here.

Let's say I have one guy trying to restore my power, and a guy beside me throwing eggs at him. I'm going to assume for argument's sake that the egg throwers are vastly outnumbered. That sounds like a run of the mill ass kicking about to take place.

angelatc
11-03-2012, 09:41 AM
We're hungry and cold, so let's throw food at the guys trying to get our heat back on.

We rock.

FrankRep
11-03-2012, 09:48 AM
We're hungry and cold, so let's throw food at the guys trying to get our heat back on.

We rock.

Wiki: Bridgeport, Connecticut > Demographics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgeport,_Connecticut#Demographics)

Democratic - 58.23%
Republican - 8.90%

:-)

MelissaWV
11-03-2012, 10:01 AM
I don't agree with the people throwing stuff. I do agree it's rather stupid to throw anything --- let alone food --- at people who are actually trying to do their job, in fairly dangerous circumstances, to help you out.

I mostly just wanted to say, though, that I see the "they had a whole lot of time to prepare and evacuate" people out in all of these threads now. It's interesting to look back and say that, but a whole lot of this board was laughing it off and talking about how wussy this storm was.

angelatc
11-03-2012, 10:03 AM
I don't agree with the people throwing stuff. I do agree it's rather stupid to throw anything --- let alone food --- at people who are actually trying to do their job, in fairly dangerous circumstances, to help you out.

I mostly just wanted to say, though, that I see the "they had a whole lot of time to prepare and evacuate" people out in all of these threads now. It's interesting to look back and say that, but a whole lot of this board was laughing it off and talking about how wussy this storm was.

There was quite a bit of discussion what what part-time preppers should have on hand. Maybe you missed that.

specsaregood
11-03-2012, 10:04 AM
We rock.

Even better was the choice of eggs, ya know one of the foods that wont spoil immediately from loss of power, especially in this weather and can be cooked/eaten with just a little flame and no electricity needed. real bright, those folks. just saying, if i was to pick a food to throw it would be something inedible.

CaptUSA
11-03-2012, 10:09 AM
I mostly just wanted to say, though, that I see the "they had a whole lot of time to prepare and evacuate" people out in all of these threads now. It's interesting to look back and say that, but a whole lot of this board was laughing it off and talking about how wussy this storm was.Agreed. Even if you look at the storm thread after the eye had made landfall, there were still people in here talking about how it was all hype. Meanwhile, I'm in western PA and I filled up my gas tanks and extra canisters, got an extra propane tank, bought plenty of food and water to last a couple of weeks, filled up my freezer with ice, and took out a bunch of cash in case the ATM's and credit card machines weren't working.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. We didn't lose power, but if the disaster stretched this far, I would have felt more comfortable knowing I took the proper steps.

tod evans
11-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Even better was the choice of eggs, ya know one of the foods that wont spoil immediately from loss of power, especially in this weather and can be cooked/eaten with just a little flame and no electricity needed. real bright, those folks. just saying, if i was to pick a food to throw it would be something inedible.

Only throw items food-stamps cover.

MelissaWV
11-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Only throw items food-stamps cover.

They cover pretty much everything except prepared foods.

acptulsa
11-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Because they were so bored, they couldn't wait another half hour until they could throw virtual angry birds?

Hell if I know. Out here in uncivilized, uncouth flyover country, when we had a major ice storm a few years back, nothing of this sort happened. Not even once.

tod evans
11-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Because they were so bored, they couldn't wait another half hour until they could throw virtual angry birds?

Hell if I know. Out here in uncivilized, uncouth flyover country, when we had a major ice storm a few years back, nothing of this sort happened. Not even once.

Here either, 14-21 days for many in the boonies but no incidents of stupidity I heard of.

evilfunnystuff
11-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Here either, 14-21 days for many in the boonies but no incidents of stupidity I heard of.

Perhaps it's simply a caes of "if a tree falls in the woods...?"

specsaregood
11-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Perhaps it's simply a caes of "if a tree falls in the woods...?"
...it helps hide the graves?

puppetmaster
11-03-2012, 12:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qoymGCDYzU

Nirvikalpa
11-03-2012, 01:21 PM
It's fun and chuckles when we throw stuff at Hannity, though? I guess many people missed the memo that just being disrespectful is - well - disrespectful, no matter who/what the circumstances are, imh spiritual perspective. And I could see it now - "but Hannity deserved it, look at what he was saying about Ron Paul..."

I'm sorry, I didn't think freedom of speech warranted a violation of the NAP?

After the recent threads here, I wouldn't hold it past some people on this forum pelting a Red Cross worker with eggs. Think it's time for a break, this place is getting worse and worse everyday.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
11-03-2012, 01:27 PM
It's fun and chuckles when we throw stuff at Hannity, though? I guess many people missed the memo that just being disrespectful is - well - disrespectful, no matter who/what the circumstances are, imh spiritual perspective. And I could see it now - "but Hannity deserved it, look at what he was saying about Ron Paul..."

After the recent threads here, I wouldn't hold it past some people on this forum pelting a Red Cross worker with eggs. Think it's time for a break, this place is getting worse and worse everyday.

So you agree with almost everyone in this thread, but couldn't stop from coming into the thread and flogging everyone?

MelissaWV
11-03-2012, 01:44 PM
No one said to be rude to or violent towards Red Cross workers, that I'm aware of. What was discussed in the other thread is the merits of donating to them versus other charities/charity groups.

I have had that discussion a number of times at work, too, because every year they have their woefully in-your-face United Way campaign. Ultimately, the people receiving the aid just need help. It won't be for quite some time, if at all, that they potentially wonder what could have been done differently. With the benefit of time, people donating should pause just that split second and determine whether they are donating in the most efficient way possible.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

talkingpointes
11-03-2012, 02:39 PM
I stayed in Whiskey Hill Bridgeport,CN for two weeks. Bridgeport is one big ghetto. Seriously, I have never seen people run into stores to steal a role of toilet paper because theft of big packages was so high they only sold it by the roll. Another day I watched a guy do a coffee run. There was people drinking and sleeping in the streets 24/7. I even witnessed policed being completely unable to patrol the neighborhood because of them being threatened and having people block of streets. (that was funny)

talkingpointes
11-03-2012, 02:48 PM

You wouldn't let your kids throw snowballs at each other? It wasn't like Nolan Ryan was trailing him with hail balls. Hannity is just a sissy. If I remember at one point he left his wife or tried to use her for cover.

AGRP
11-03-2012, 02:59 PM
You wouldn't let your kids throw snowballs at each other? It wasn't like Nolan Ryan was trailing him with hail balls. Hannity is just a sissy. If I remember at one point he left his wife or tried to use her for cover.

Give him a break. Chickenhawks cant handle snowballs let alone a war zone.

Lucille
11-03-2012, 04:20 PM
So because of the mayor's big, irresponsible mouth, more taxpayer money has to be spent to protect the guys who are trying to get electricity to the idiots throwing things at them.

They should be throwing eggs at the econazis (http://barelyablog.com/northeast-sliding-into-third-world-status-blame-anti-energy-policies/).

That's dangerous work. Don't those thugs know that? We do that work. Frankly, I can't believe the all the lines haven't buried in areas prone to hurricanes. You don't even have to dig an open ditch anymore, what with directional drilling. Downed power lines pose some of the worst hazards. Then there's the cost of constantly repairing them. In the long run, the utility companies would save money. I guess short-term thinking's the problem with everything nowadays.

FindLiberty
11-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Workers should just Shrug the power off.

Meatwasp
11-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Workers should just Shrug the power off.
The workers should climb down and say "Fix it yourselves." That would stop the s--.