PDA

View Full Version : NY's heartless water company

alucard13mmfmj
11-02-2012, 01:03 PM
My friend lives in New York and the first floor of his house got flooded and mostly destroyed.

A few weeks ago the water company installed a new meter at his house and it appears the water company is charging him 2,400 USD because the new meter is showing that he is using more water than what the company estimated in the past. So The last 2 years, the water company used estimates to bill him, but realized they charged him too little and is now coming to collect. The water company claims it might be a leaky pipe or toilet or something.

He is poor. His dad died not too long ago to illness. He works at a crappy job to support himself and his mother and pay the bills. Hell, he was summoned for jury duty for the end of November that is over 50miles away.

At first he challenged them, but it didn't work. Then he tried to ask for a payment plan to pay it over time, but the water company didn't allow it.

So now, after the Sandy disaster, the water company is still being heartless and still won't at least create a payment plan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLzGXw8VAXI&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN1Ut4t5eW0&feature=plcp

I kinda want to ask for advice that might help him.

------------

He also helps me with building my online shop ^^ so I kinda want to help him normalize.

Also, anyone have experience with running or building an online shop (those that deals with preorders)

phill4paul
11-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Find a local news station that reports on these kinda things. About the only way someone can win that is public outrage.

Anti Federalist
11-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Then they'll charge him for the wrecked meter too.

CaptainAmerica
11-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Get a news station,start a kickstarter page to accept donations to hire a lawyer...get a lawyer if he can and put the water company in court for some kind of fraud after getting the news stations to publicize it.

alucard13mmfmj
11-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Days before the hurricane hit, I joked on how he should buy a lot of solar chargers for cell phones and sell them for 300-500% profit. Kinda wish he did that. But then again, he'd probably get robbed because people would know he has money from the sales and he does not have a gun.

I told him that teh Ron Paul people suggested him to report it to a local news station. ;s

LibForestPaul
11-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Pro bono lawyer?