PDA

View Full Version : The Matrix. Just a movie or a warning?

Sematary
11-20-2007, 12:44 PM
I think if you consider The Matrix (yes, the movie) in the a political context, you can see some serious philosophical underpinnings there and some parallels to our real world. Forget, for a moment, that it is science fiction. The underlying theme is one of control - government control, of the people and the undying spirit of freedom that endures within each and every one of us.
Just a thought.

Indy Vidual
11-20-2007, 12:50 PM
The first Matrix was great.
2 and 3 had less plot and quality.

`````

"Here is the novel that started it all, launching the cyberpunk generation, and the first novel to win the holy trinity of science fiction: the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award and the Philip K. Dick Award. With Neuromancer, William Gibson introduced the world to cyberspace--and science fiction has never been the same."

Neuromancer: William Gibson creates the word "Cyberspace" (using only his imagination), and is the first in history to use the word Matrix to mean virtual reality. (http://www.williamgibsonbooks.com/books/neuromancer.asp)

fsk
11-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Some people say "The Matrix" is nonfiction.

Adrian Barbobot
11-20-2007, 07:29 PM
I think if you consider The Matrix (yes, the movie) in the a political context, you can see some serious philosophical underpinnings there and some parallels to our real world. Forget, for a moment, that it is science fiction. The underlying theme is one of control - government control, of the people and the undying spirit of freedom that endures within each and every one of us.
Just a thought.

I would be more inclined to go with the V for Vendetta Cliche...Or better yet...rewatch The Village, and I will bet you won't hate it as much as you did the first time.

literatim
11-20-2007, 07:46 PM
It was just a lousy movie.

Go watch Equilibrium.

jondisx
11-20-2007, 08:01 PM
damn, i really liked the matrix trilogy, whats with the hate

Pete Kay
11-21-2007, 01:37 AM
I thought the symbolism about government oppression was pretty heavy handed in the first movie. I'm always suprised that people didn't see it. It was just obvious. The second and third movie really dropped the ball because they didn't continue on the path that the first one had layed out. The plot of the second movie should have been about another person who could control the Matrix like Neo, but he sided with the machines. It should have focused on the philisophical debate of which was better for humanity, the Matrix or the "real" world.

This is the debate that we are engaging in now here in America. I've made the point to people that we are choosing between being wolves and domesticated dogs and not to my surprise, a lot of people say they would rather be a dog, obedient to their master. Their belief is that they would rather have a full belly and a warm place to sleep than fight the harsh realities of the "real" world. Like Morpheous said in the Matrix, "Some people will fight for the Matrix. Some people will die protecting it."

Man from La Mancha
11-21-2007, 01:49 AM
Matrix 1 one was one the best movie that has ever affected me. I'm not that emotional but on the drive home from the Matrix a half hour later I just start lightly crying thinking about what I saw and I don't know why. It wasn't a tear jerker movie, yet it struck a chord deep inside me. Weird.

ChooseLiberty
11-21-2007, 07:20 AM
I read somewhere the brothers that came up with the Matrix movie stole the ideas already developed from somewhere else. Didn't research it any further than that, but that would explain why the first one seemed so much better than II and III since they had no more material to steal for the next two.

V4Vendetta
11-21-2007, 07:43 AM
Matrix 1.. yes, was a movie made to try to wake up the American people to whats going on... it worked to some effect.... but most people still think it was just a movie...

However, once the powers that be, saw how effective part 1 was, and how popular it was.... the writters and Director SOLD OUT on part's 2 & 3. You can tell once you watch parts 2 & 3... the plot is nothing similar at all.

Another Good film to watch would be SHOOTER or the old TV series from the 80's "V"

Mordechai Vanunu
11-21-2007, 07:49 AM
The idea for the movie originated from Jordan Maxwell's "Matrix of Power", available on Google Video.

fsk
11-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Allegedly, "The Matrix" is based on the anime "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex".

joenaab
11-21-2007, 06:04 PM
The Matrix was partly based on the Neo-Tech philosophy created by Dr. Frank R. Wallace. Hence, the name of the lead character, "Neo", as well as many other examples.

http://neo-tech.localgroup.net/matrix/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_R._Wallace

huchahucha
11-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Phooey! If you want to see an eye opening film, go rent Brazil. I watched it for the first time nine or ten years ago and totally didn't get it. I watched it again a couple weeks ago and was totally blown away. I don't know if that was because I have become more Libertarian over the years, or if it is the post 9/11 world we live in (probably both), but Brazil is the most relevant movie I have seen in a long time. It is British comedy, so you have to pay attention to the dialogue, but there are some really great jokes (my favorite is the transcript from a government torture session of a terrorist - a full page of "no, no! please stop!"). It is also funny how throughout the entire film the government is going through this prolonged battle against terrorism to protect the public, meanwhile the public is completely oblivious and spends all their time out Christmas shopping.

If you get a chance you should check it out.

paulitics
11-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Phooey! If you want to see an eye opening film, go rent Brazil. I watched it for the first time nine or ten years ago and totally didn't get it. I watched it again a couple weeks ago and was totally blown away. I don't know if that was because I have become more Libertarian over the years, or if it is the post 9/11 world we live in (probably both), but Brazil is the most relevant movie I have seen in a long time. It is British comedy, so you have to pay attention to the dialogue, but there are some really great jokes (my favorite is the transcript from a government torture session of a terrorist - a full page of "no, no! please stop!"). It is also funny how throughout the entire film the government is going through this prolonged battle against terrorism to protect the public, meanwhile the public is completely oblivious and spends all their time out Christmas shopping.

If you get a chance you should check it out.

sonds cool. I will check it out.