PDA

View Full Version : Todd Akin (MO-Sen) gets help from Rand Paul

DeMintConservative
11-01-2012, 06:29 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57533645/todd-akin-gets-some-help-from-rand-paul/

Rand Paul on Tuesday joined a small group of Republican politicians demonstrating a willingness to support Todd Akin's embattled bid for the Senate, unveiling a tacitly pro-Akin ad that his super PAC, RandPAC, says will run statewide in Missouri.

Akin, who is challenging incumbent Democratic Senator Claire McCaskil for her Senate seat, has become the Republican black sheep of the campaign cycle after positing in an August interview that women are unlikely to become pregnant as a result of "legitimate rape." He faces a significant fundraising deficit compared with McCaskill.

The Republican establishment has essentially disavowed Akin's candidacy in light of his "rape" comments, and has refused to back him financially. Akin said recently he's collected more than $1 million for his campaign in online donations, and has earned the backing of some conservative groups - including one led by former presidential candidate Rick Santorum and one helmed by Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C. By comparison, however, the McCaskill campaign raised $5.8 million during the 3rd quarter alone, and has, according to the New York Times, spent millions attacking Akin for his history of inflammatory statements. The McCaskill campaign's internal polling, meanwhile, shows her leading Akin 52 percent to 38 percent.

There was no mention of Akin in the minute-long ad, which instead attacked McCaskill for voting against a bill to provide continued support for U.S. aid to Egypt, but offered tacit support for the embattled state representative.

"Senator Paul believes this race can be won," said Doug Stafford, spokesman of RandPAC, in an email. "He also feels strongly on the issue of foreign aid, and wants to run these ads in places where the Senator up for reelection is on the wrong side of the issue, as Senator McCaskill is."

Stafford said that with regard to Akin's comments on rape, Paul "accepts that Congressman Akin apologized for what he said," according to Stafford. "One or two mistaken sentences or thoughts doesn't change the fact that there are dozens of issues on which Claire McCaskill is truly bad on and on which Todd Akin would be a significant improvement."

Stafford told CBSNews.com the ad will run statewide starting tomorrow in Missouri and that the buy was in the low six-figures. Similar ads, he says, are already running in support of Republican candidates in West Virginia, Florida and Ohio.

DeMintConservative
11-01-2012, 06:29 PM
I suspect this is too little, too late, but if they're investing money it's because their internal polling is showing Akin still has a puncher's chance.

Agorism
11-01-2012, 06:35 PM
old article though

Anti Federalist
11-01-2012, 06:39 PM
There was no mention of Akin in the minute-long ad, which instead attacked McCaskill for voting against a bill to provide continued support for U.S. aid to Egypt, but offered tacit support for the embattled state representative

Wait wait wait...

Rand is stepping up to defend Akin after his idiotic remarks, and running attack ads against a senator over an issue that the senator voted with him???

Ugh, this is what happens when you play that politics game, you end up so upside down you don't know which way to swim, to bring your head above the shit line.

Rand Paul: U.S. should suspend aid to Libya, Egypt

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?393389-Rand-Paul-U.S.-should-suspend-aid-to-Libya-Egypt&highlight=Rand+foreign+aid

Jeremy
11-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Wait wait wait...

Rand is stepping up to defend Akin after his idiotic remarks, and running attack ads against a senator over an issue that the senator voted with him???

Ugh, this is what happens when you play that politics game, you end up so upside down you don't know which way to swim, to bring your head above the shit line.

Rand Paul: U.S. should suspend aid to Libya, Egypt

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?393389-Rand-Paul-U.S.-should-suspend-aid-to-Libya-Egypt&highlight=Rand+foreign+aid Could be a typo? Someone find how McCaskill voted.

Anti Federalist
11-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Could be a typo? Someone find how McCaskill voted.

Good call, typo or poor reporting.

McCaskill voted against Rand's bill.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=112&session=2&vote=00196

supermario21
11-01-2012, 07:06 PM
I hope Akin wins. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if he does, McCaskill is going to have to outperform Obama by 15 points to win. I think Romney will provide enough coattails.

sparebulb
11-01-2012, 07:30 PM
I hope Akin wins. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if he does, McCaskill is going to have to outperform Obama by 15 points to win. I think Romney will provide enough coattails.

Agreed

I want Akin in there because we need more R's that know what it's like to have the R establishment throw them under the bus.

Jeremy
11-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Good call, typo or poor reporting.

McCaskill voted against Rand's bill.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=112&session=2&vote=00196

Probably written by one of those people who think all Republicans vote x and all Democrats vote y.

supermario21
11-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Agreed

I want Akin in there because we need more R's that know what it's like to have the R establishment throw them under the bus.

I agree, we all know what he said is stupid. But there is only 1 Senator helping him out right now, and that is Rand. Trust me, if he gets elected it's going to be a big F you to the establishment. We need more people like that in there.

Pericles
11-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Agreed

Another R Senator that does not owe the R party anything would be nice to have.

axiomata
11-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Heard an interesting attack ad from Akin on the radio. He went after the Libertarian candidate, appealed to Ron Paul conservatives, and then played a Rand Paul "endorsement".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A0He9TnpjI

jmdrake
11-06-2012, 09:48 PM
So far McCaskill seems to be kicking Akin's butt.

NewRightLibertarian
11-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Way to go Rand! Great job associating yourself with a loser and a disgrace. Unity! Unity! Unity!

RonPaulMall
11-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Way to go Rand! Great job associating yourself with a loser and a disgrace. Unity! Unity! Unity!

It was a very smart move politically. Doesn't matter if Akin won or lost. In fact, all the better for Rand that he lost. The only people who are going to remember what Rand did four years from now are the Christian Conservatives in Missouri, and that gives Rand a huge advantage going in to the primary.

sparebulb
11-06-2012, 10:03 PM
It was a very smart move politically. Doesn't matter if Akin won or lost. In fact, all the better for Rand that he lost. The only people who are going to remember what Rand did four years from now are the Christian Conservatives in Missouri, and that gives Rand a huge advantage going in to the primary.

This is correct. Rand did good.

NewRightLibertarian
11-07-2012, 12:11 AM

LOL! This is some ridiculous spin, justifying the misstep of Rand putting his good name and PAC money toward losing disgraceful candidates. All that will be remembered is that Rand supported the imbeciles who blew their elections by making asinine comments regarding rape. Nice job at building a coalition, Rand! Maybe your next crusade will lose 85 to 15 instead of 87 to 13 in the senate. Unity! Unity! Unity!