PDA

View Full Version : Empire State Begs Feds To Cover Full Cost of Storm

AuH20
11-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Pathetic.

http://news.yahoo.com/york-governor-ask-federal-government-cover-sandy-storm-200420294.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CaGXJJQjHEAdIbQtDMD

New York top finance official, Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli, said Washington should foot the bill, because of lingering financial pressures on state and local governments from the 2007-09 recession.

"I think the focus will have to be on Washington, for obvious reasons," DiNapoli told Reuters in an interview.

"They have greater resources. They can print money; we can't do that here. And given the fact this is not just a New York disaster, it's really a national disaster, it's probably for the federal government to step up and play a significant role."

"The problem is the state is limited in its resource capacity. We just put out the mid-year report a week or two ago and it really showed tax revenues are down," DiNapoli said.

Dinapoli is pure scum. I don't how he got elected. Keep passing the buck literally. Boo hoo! Tax revenues are down. Did they ever think why?!!!!????

Brian4Liberty
11-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Never saw this coming. :rolleyes:

phill4paul
11-01-2012, 12:27 PM
They can print money; we can't do that here.

Boom. In yo face. Idiot Amurikans.

alucard13mmfmj
11-01-2012, 12:27 PM
So... If I build a million dollar house 5-10 inches above sea level and a few feet from he shoreline... I can ask the government to pay me if my house gets destroyed? :D

I am sure whoever owns the building makes a lot of money from renting space out. The owner can use his or her own money or file an insurance claim.

tod evans
11-01-2012, 12:28 PM
From deep in the Ozark mountains...

FUCK YOU N.Y.

[edit]

Many of us, myself included, would travel to help out if your state can #1 get the feds out of the way and #2 reign in your city government.

AuH20
11-01-2012, 12:34 PM
The least free state of the union literally attached to the fed's tit. No one should be surprised. Nu Yawk is the heart of the empire. What state benefitted most from TARP, you may ask????

kahless
11-01-2012, 12:58 PM
I do not agree with what he said but all this NY bashing is bullshit. People lose sight that our tax dollars here are really paying for the federal government for the entire country. If any of it should be coming back it should be coming back to NY.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_tax_revenue_by_state

Our highways have not been repaired since the last few hurricanes and winter storms. Yet I see all kinds of ridiculous highway spending from low paying states all over this country. If people are getting anything from government in this country a good portion of it came out of our paychecks here. More of it should be coming back here but it doesn't.

With that said I do not want to see any money go to people that decided to take the coastal risk.

Brian4Liberty
11-01-2012, 01:04 PM
So... If I build a million dollar house 5-10 inches above sea level and a few feet from he shoreline... I can ask the government to pay me if my house gets destroyed? :D

I am sure whoever owns the building makes a lot of money from renting space out. The owner can use his or her own money or file an insurance claim.

Nothing beats collecting the insurance money and then having the government pay you again as a bonus!

phill4paul
11-01-2012, 01:07 PM
I do not agree with what he said but all this NY bashing is bullshit. People lose sight that our tax dollars here are really paying for the federal government for the entire country. If any of it should be coming back it should be coming back to NY.

Our highways have not been repaired since the last few hurricanes and winter storms. Yet I see all kinds of ridiculous highway spending from low paying states all over this country. If people are getting anything from government in this country a good portion of it came out of our paychecks here. More of it should be coming back here but it doesn't.

With that said I do not want to see any money go to people that decided to take the coastal risk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0fIi3H-es

AuH20
11-01-2012, 01:08 PM

I'm a resident of New York, born and raised. And it's basically cronysm central, especially if you examine the vast public patronage systems as well as the sheer power wielded by the unsavory financial service industry (note I did not say stockbrokers who are a completely different entity). There is a reason why both the UN and the Federal Reserve are located there.

devil21
11-01-2012, 01:10 PM
It is not a national disaster. One small section of the country sustained severe damage while the rest was untouched. No damage reported in my area only hundreds of miles away. Sorry NY, you should be on your own. Not my job to make up for your budget shortfalls when bad weather invariably strikes. We're already hit with the FEMA bills. The inability of politicians and bureacrats to have any big picture long term thinking/planning is why we're in this fiscal mess in the first place.

Brian4Liberty
11-01-2012, 01:14 PM

Oh really? New York is paying for the entire Federal Government?

If you want to talk about transferring wealth from State to State via the Federal Government conduit, this chart shows there are quite a few that pay more than New York. It's Puerto Rico that is ripping us off. ;)

https://media.economist.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/original-size/20110806_WOC321.png

kahless
11-01-2012, 01:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0fIi3H-es

LOL. That made my day.

I'm a resident of New York, born and raised. And it's basically cronysm central, especially if you examine the vast public patronage systems as well as the sheer power wielded by the unsavory financial service industry (note I did not say stockbrokers who are a completely different entity). There is a reason why both the UN and the Federal Reserve are located there.

I do not disagree with you there.

I also agree about the mentality of some New Yorkers. I witnessed it first hand the other day when I went down to the Hudson River to look at the storm damage. There was a guy there cursing our local town because his home got wrecked from the storm surge.

I really had to bite my tongue and let it go because the guy had just lost all his stuff but where does he get off believing the taxpayers should foot the bill because he decided to live on the river.

AuH20
11-01-2012, 01:35 PM
I do not disagree with you there.

I also agree about the mentality of some New Yorkers. I witnessed it first hand the other day when I went down to the Hudson River to look at the storm damage. There was a guy there cursing our local town because his home got wrecked from the storm surge.

I really had to bite my tongue and let it go because the guy had just lost all his stuff but where does he get off believing the taxpayers should foot the bill because he decided to live on the river.

New York City, especially attracts the worst type of human beings and this phenomenom is visible across all income levels. There is a magnetic quality about this place due to the considerable power and corruption it radiates. And from my experience, it is the out-of-towners who you have to keep your eye on. They are here for a reason.