PDA

View Full Version : Driving restrictions into Manhattan lead to gridlock

CaseyJones
11-01-2012, 11:44 AM
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/19971795/driving-restrictions-into-manhattan

The morning commute quickly got off to a rough start for motorists headed into Manhattan Thursday.

An HOV restriction of three or more people was causing severe gridlock minutes after the change went into effect.

City and state officials announced Wednesday that drivers must have at least three people in their vehicle to cross into Manhattan using any of the East River bridges and the Lincoln Tunnel from 6 am- Midnight on Thursday and Friday.

phill4paul
11-01-2012, 11:45 AM
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/19971795/driving-restrictions-into-manhattan

Big government is needed to solve big problems.

acptulsa
11-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Big government is needed to create big problems.

Fixed that for you.

CaptUSA
11-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Predictable outcome is predictable.

Lucille
11-01-2012, 11:54 AM
A check point set up at the George Washington Bridge was removed towards the end of the morning commute. It is not clear why the check point had been set up at the bridge, which was not included in Mayor Bloomberg's announcement on Wednesday.

The plan limited the number of vehicles entering Manhattan after a dreadfully slow morning commute on Wednesday following superstorm Sandy.

Police are stopping to check cars at the Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan Bridge, Williamsburg Bridge, Queensboro Bridge, RFK/Triborough Bridge, Henry Hudson Bridge, and Lincoln Tunnel to determine how many people are inside before they are allowed into the bridges or tunnel.

The check points reduced traffic to one lane. The inspections appeared to be taking several seconds per vehicle.

Drivers who do not have three or more people are being directed away.

LOL... Unbelievable. I'm surprised the govt has assigned people to car pools yet!

Brian Coates: I wonder if they are also checking to make sure no one is bringing in an illegal BIG GULP?

I wouldn't doubt it!

Erik Johnson: People should stand around and offer to be driven across the bridge for $5, then walk back and get into another car.

Ingenious!

JK/SEA
11-01-2012, 12:37 PM
'' i warned you.. one more time being late to work and i'll have to let you go''

Anti Federalist
11-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Just another checkpoint on the road to acquiescence.

Wonder if it applied to cop cars too?

HAH HAH HAH HAH!!!

http://www.nypost.com/r/nypost/2012/11/01/news/web_photos/SuperstormSandy100318--525x300.jpg

This is just so sad to watch anymore.

If we were one tenth of the people we were 235 years ago, there would be a government functionary in tar and feathers on every street corner across this entire benighted nation.

truelies
11-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Predictable outcome is predictable.

gridlock is what they wanted.......encourages folks to get out of those evil private cars, don'tcha know.

2young2vote
11-01-2012, 02:04 PM
^ is that backup from today or yesterday? Supposedly there were huge backups yesterday.

kathy88
11-01-2012, 02:05 PM
What? No exception for Volts?

Anti Federalist
11-01-2012, 02:08 PM
^ is that backup from today or yesterday? Supposedly there were huge backups yesterday.

The search said it was six hours old and it's facing west with the sun behind the photographer, so I'm going to assume it was this morning's rush hour.

ctiger2
11-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Me and my two passengers had no problems.

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/diego%20doll.jpg

Cowlesy
11-01-2012, 03:48 PM
I flew back to NYC today. Chatted with the guy next to me on the plane who ended up being the Chairman of a big public company, who goes "If you're going to Manhattan, ride along with me." Sure enough as we approached the Queensboro Bridge, NYPD stopped and counted us (2 + chauffeur = 3). And then, as we entered the bridge, two guys are out there with clipboards looking in each car to make sure it is being enforced.

What a freaking bureaucracy!

Anti Federalist
11-01-2012, 04:38 PM
I flew back to NYC today. Chatted with the guy next to me on the plane who ended up being the Chairman of a big public company, who goes "If you're going to Manhattan, ride along with me." Sure enough as we approached the Queensboro Bridge, NYPD stopped and counted us (2 + chauffeur = 3). And then, as we entered the bridge, two guys are out there with clipboards looking in each car to make sure it is being enforced.

What a freaking bureaucracy!

Typical, and to be expected.

You know, not like there are other, more pressing matters that need taking care of, rather than counting heads in cars and bossing people around.

acptulsa
11-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Typical, and to be expected.

You know, not like there are other, more pressing matters that need taking care of, rather than counting heads in cars and bossing people around.

Nah, not at all...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?394061-Wave-of-looting-and-theft-in-areas-hardest-hit-by-superstorm-Sandy