PDA

View Full Version : My letter to the editor was published today

erowe1
11-01-2012, 06:12 AM
Every four years the regime generously gives us a choice of being punched in the stomach by one assailant or in the throat by another. Then all of America (and effectively the whole world) is subjected to whatever punishment gets the most votes.

Great efforts of propaganda are then put forth to pretend that the assailant who punches us has a legitimate right to do so on account of having been elected by the people.

We each have a responsibility to undermine that argument. Imagine how much easier we would make it for ourselves to reiterate the timeless pronouncements of the Declaration of Independence if they held one of these elections and none of us voted. I urge you to join me this November in not voting for anyone in the presidential election. Let's all take the responsibility we have as citizens to make voter turnout this election the lowest it has ever been.
http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/opinion/sbt-bennetts-pay-policies-merit-2nd-look-20121101,0,3479920.story?page=2

Acala
11-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Lol. Excellent. That should cause a few coronaries.

jmdrake
11-01-2012, 09:07 AM
http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/opinion/sbt-bennetts-pay-policies-merit-2nd-look-20121101,0,3479920.story?page=2

Great job! It's time we all spend more efforts getting our message out "there" instead of trying to convert each other to our own brand of "liberty". Oh, and I finally understand what "erowe" stands for. ;)

VoluntaryAmerican
11-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Goodwork and rep.

dannno
11-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Nice..

sailingaway
11-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Nice that you got your letter published! However, I disagree and think low turn out will just look like apathy. We already have the lowest turn out of any developed country and no one makes a big deal of it except to say we are more interested in American Idol. I think you have to vote on SOMETHING, then just leave the position (or positions) you consider completely unrepresented blank, then they are counted as undervote to that office (the same impact occurs if you write in someone they don't count.) Undervote to just specific offices when you clearly were not to disinterested to vote, seems to me more compelling.

I wrote in Ron Paul, and it turns out it will be counted in CA, but when I did it that wasn't yet certain, and the undervote was my second choice.

However, I'm glad your letter got published!

erowe1
11-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Nice..

One of the lines is based on something you said I think.

"Imagine if they had an election and nobody showed up." or something like that.

Aeroneous
11-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Nice that you got your letter published! However, I disagree and think low turn out will just look like apathy. We already have the lowest turn out of any developed country and no one makes a big deal of it except to say we are more interested in American Idol. I think you have to vote on SOMETHING, then just leave the position (or positions) you consider completely unrepresented blank, then they are counted as undervote to that office (the same impact occurs if you write in someone they don't count.) Undervote to just specific offices when you clearly were not to disinterested to vote, seems to me more compelling.

I wrote in Ron Paul, and it turns out it will be counted in CA, but when I did it that wasn't yet certain, and the undervote was my second choice.

Agreed. I think that writing in Ron Paul, especially in the states where the votes will be counted, sends a bigger message. It's also my personal opinion that within the confines of the current election options, voting for Gary Johnson creates an even bigger message and provides opportunity for growth in another political avenue. I can understand wanting to write in Ron Paul regardless, and it's something that I'm still on the fence about. Regardless, people need to vote for what they truly believe in. Much like businesses going bankrupt in a free market, if the country takes a nose dive because everyone voted for their true beliefs (Romney/Obama) then the country probably needs to take that nose dive to correct itself. Maybe after that event, minds would open up at a much more rapid pace.

AGRP
11-01-2012, 01:03 PM
The only way to accomplish this is by education.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/526292_413597548699231_998422323_n.jpg

erowe1
11-01-2012, 02:16 PM

FWIW, Paul is not a write-in in Indiana.

sailingaway
11-01-2012, 02:33 PM
FWIW, Paul is not a write-in in Indiana.

Yeah, which is why it would be in the undervote category. I call that 'none of the above' since it is people who bothered to vote who rejected the choices. However, your vote is your vote, that is just my own call for mine.

fisharmor
11-01-2012, 02:48 PM
I prefer to participate, and actively vote for who I think should have the job.
So whenever Ron Paul isn't on the ballot, I leave the ballot blank.

erowe1
11-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Yeah, which is why it would be in the undervote category. I call that 'none of the above' since it is people who bothered to vote who rejected the choices. However, your vote is your vote, that is just my own call for mine.

Well, actually, I may still vote on other things. Just not president.

erowe1
11-01-2012, 03:02 PM
I prefer to participate, and actively vote for who I think should have the job.
So whenever Ron Paul isn't on the ballot, I leave the ballot blank.

I am going to vote for who I think should have the job.

Who I think should have the job is nobody.