PDA

View Full Version : Paul Ryan Taking a picture of your own ballot

beaven
10-31-2012, 05:42 AM
So I was going to go to the polls on November 6 and write in Ron Paul. I was also going to take a photo with my cell phone of my digital ballot before I submit it so I could post online as part of my support for Ron Paul.

It seems, in Kansas at least, that it is against the law to take a picture of a ballot.

Source: https://twitter.com/EarlGlynn/status/263548448425508864
Law: http://kansasstatutes.lesterama.org/Chapter_25/Article_24/25-2422.html

What are your thoughts?

GunnyFreedom
10-31-2012, 06:04 AM
it's pretty much the same everywhere. they do it to prevent vote-buying.

imagine if RomBama people said "show me a ballot with RomBama marked, and we'll give you a $10 bill."

That law, at least theoretically, prevents vote buying.

I don't support doing it from that end. Instead of making the recording of ballots illegal, make it a Class B Felony to buy votes and aggressively enforce it. People would be risking 35 to life to buy votes so it would never be very significant.

Nevertheless, that's why they do it.

torchbearer
10-31-2012, 06:29 AM
vote buying happens in a more efficient manner in louisiana. wouldn't need a photo to get your "gas money", beer and chicken.

kathy88
10-31-2012, 06:39 AM
Just the fact that there are actually people who would sell their vote for something of so little value makes me wonder if we shouldn't just back off and let it happen. Survival of the fittest. Why do we bust our asses for these illiterate uncaring selfish fucktards?

ShaneEnochs
10-31-2012, 07:07 AM
I've said it before; I'll say it again. There needs to be some kind of test before people are allowed to vote.

CaptUSA
10-31-2012, 07:36 AM
Why is this tagged with "Paul Ryan"?

GunnyFreedom
10-31-2012, 07:59 AM
I've said it before; I'll say it again. There needs to be some kind of test before people are allowed to vote.

North Carolina State Constitution

ARTICLE VI
SUFFRAGE AND ELIGIBILITY TO OFFICE

Sec. 4. Qualification for registration.
Every person presenting himself for registration shall be able to read and write any section of the Constitution in the English language.

(Deemed by FedGov to be a violation of the US Constitution as a 'literacy test' suppressing poor and minority voters, therefore Article 6 Section 4 is ignored)

GunnyFreedom
10-31-2012, 08:03 AM
Just the fact that there are actually people who would sell their vote for something of so little value makes me wonder if we shouldn't just back off and let it happen. Survival of the fittest. Why do we bust our asses for these illiterate uncaring selfish fucktards?

There are people who would sell their vote for a single dollar. They figure out that nothing changes between R and D so they guess it doesn't matter, but they go vote anyway because society compels them to. Some random item from the McDs dollar menu is enough to move this sort.

GunnyFreedom
10-31-2012, 08:05 AM
vote buying happens in a more efficient manner in louisiana. wouldn't need a photo to get your "gas money", beer and chicken.

'Gas money' is almost always code for something else, isn't it? :(

CaptUSA
10-31-2012, 08:05 AM
I posted this elsewhere:

Yeah, but it might be nice if we had to take some basic knowledge test before casting a vote.

Could be as small as 5 T/F questions:
The President of the US is elected to a 4 year term - True or False?
The number of Senators each state gets is determined by the population of that state - True or False?
Only the President is authorized to declare war - True or False?
There are currently US troops stationed in ______ country - True or False?
Currently, the US government spends more money than it receives in revenue - True or False?

If you answer all 5 right, please proceed to your ballot. If not, please proceed to the exit.

Maybe you could ask for the questions to be read to you if you can't read? Would that pass the literacy test?!! Geez, if you can't read the ballot, how are you supposed to vote?!

sailingaway
10-31-2012, 08:06 AM
Well, if there is such a law where I am I am not aware of it. Mine was an absentee ballot.

torchbearer
10-31-2012, 11:06 AM
'Gas money' is almost always code for something else, isn't it? :(

yup, and its usually the Dems who setup shop at the poorest most illiterate sections of our state.
They throw a "party" where all the ignorant and illiterate poor folks show up, get some free fried chicken and beer, then a lil' "gas money"(they don't even own a car usually).
they are then loaded on van or bus, given a ticket with numbers on it (for example: #2, #21, #45). they are then brought to the polling place and vote the slate.
we used ballot numbers in this state for the illiterate. can't read? no problem. just remember a number.

ronpaulfollower999
10-31-2012, 11:13 AM
So I was going to go to the polls on November 6 and write in Ron Paul. I was also going to take a photo with my cell phone of my digital ballot before I submit it so I could post online as part of my support for Ron Paul.

It seems, in Kansas at least, that it is against the law to take a picture of a ballot.

Source: https://twitter.com/EarlGlynn/status/263548448425508864
Law: http://kansasstatutes.lesterama.org/Chapter_25/Article_24/25-2422.html

What are your thoughts?

It is illegal where I live too. But during the primary, I posted a picture of my ballot here. Fuck them. :)

ronpaulfollower999
10-31-2012, 11:15 AM

I have Romney supporter "friends" who are begging me to vote for Romney and are actually at the point where they are saying they'll pay me to vote for him. They actually told me this two or three times now. No amount of money can buy my vote.

ShaneEnochs
10-31-2012, 11:26 AM
That law might have made sense when you have paper ballots, but it doesn't really matter with electronic voting since you can change your vote at the last second.

GunnyFreedom
10-31-2012, 03:06 PM
yup, and its usually the Dems who setup shop at the poorest most illiterate sections of our state.
They throw a "party" where all the ignorant and illiterate poor folks show up, get some free fried chicken and beer, then a lil' "gas money"(they don't even own a car usually).
they are then loaded on van or bus, given a ticket with numbers on it (for example: #2, #21, #45). they are then brought to the polling place and vote the slate.
we used ballot numbers in this state for the illiterate. can't read? no problem. just remember a number.

Oi, wow that's bloody awful. :(

Not as bad or blatant as that, but one of the things they are doing in NC this year, is standing outside the polls asking everybody if they want a Republican Voting Guide, and if they say 'yes,' handing them a ballot with all Dems marked. :rolleyes:

torchbearer
10-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Oi, wow that's bloody awful. :(

Not as bad or blatant as that, but one of the things they are doing in NC this year, is standing outside the polls asking everybody if they want a Republican Voting Guide, and if they say 'yes,' handing them a ballot with all Dems marked. :rolleyes:

ironically, louisiana doesn't allow electioneering with 500ft of a polling place.
i ran into the democrat paid votes machine in my state house run in 2003.
I went to those places and campaigned, they had these guys i was talking to who were interested in the ideas i was talking about(or so i thought), i asked them if they would vote for me. they said, 'sure', and held out there hands.(waiting for cash apparently).
When i told them i wasn't going to buy their vote, they weren't interested anymore.
not hyperbole. really happened. and its sad.