PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul endorses Don Volaric (US-House Michigan 9th District)

EBounding
10-30-2012, 12:19 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=424694747590305&set=a.338826799510434.77598.100209813372135&type=1

Don Volaric (http://www.votevolaric.com/index.php)

"I endorse Don Volaric’s campaign for Congress. His dedication to limited government and personal liberties is exactly what we need in Washington."

Link to Endorsement: http://library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1110081848154-52/Ron+Paul.pdf

This district is right next to Bentivolio and it's actually competitive with 30 year democrat incumbent, Sander Levin. Michigan could possibly have 3 Ron Paul endorsed Representatives in Congress next term.

I'm personally kind of torn about this though. Volaric ran a slimy primary campaign and it seems he went from neo-con to non-interventionist in only a few months. But in debates he said he would flat out bring the troops home from Afghanistan and audit the Fed, something Sander Levin wouldn't commit to.

Anti-Neocon
10-30-2012, 01:19 PM
:confused:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKzL1WgiiMA&feature=player_embedded

EBounding
10-30-2012, 01:38 PM
:confused:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKzL1WgiiMA&feature=player_embedded

Yeah, exactly. I think he's using the Ron Paul and libertarian movement to fuel his campaign in a tough district. It's not a bad strategy considering most traditional Republicans are happy to just throw us under the bus. But I have a hard time trusting him.

GeorgiaAvenger
10-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Yeah, exactly. I think he's using the Ron Paul and libertarian movement to fuel his campaign in a tough district. It's not a bad strategy considering most traditional Republicans are happy to just throw us under the bus. But I have a hard time trusting him.

I personally don't see the Ron Paul movement as a significant voting block in house races. And unless LFA jumps in, there really won't be any financial support either. Not much to gain, but a lot to lose by people who think Ron Paul is a nut. And if the Ron Paul movement is really critical to success, he will have to be beholden to us.

He is at least worth seeing in Congress.

Don's Core Beliefs and Pledges

I support the United States Constitution
I believe in limited government and State Sovereignty
I will never raise taxes and I will stop government spending
I support replacing the federal income tax with the FairTax (1st) or Flat Tax 15% across the board, no subsidies (2nd).
I will protect personal property and inheritance rights
I am Pro-Life
I believe the family is sovereign (off base), the 3rd & 4th amendment.
I will never be in favor of the federal government violating your 5th and 6th amendment rights.
I will work for a strong national defense based on technology, not nation building
I will work toward immigration reform, no amnesty and secure borders
I support the responsible cultivation and use of our domestic resources
I believe in energy independence as a key part of our national security and renewed job creation
I support educational choice of public, private, charter and home schooling
I will maintain support of our rich agricultural heritage
I support National Sovereignty
I believe Congress can only declare war.
I support auditing the Federal Reserve.

He has this video on the front page of his website:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4fHfdSi-GDo

NewRightLibertarian
10-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Saw him give a big speech about the Illuminati at an End the Fed rally. Needless to say, he won my support right there. We'll see if he's a phony or not in Congress should he win. No way he could possibly be worse than Levin though.

GeorgiaAvenger
10-30-2012, 03:46 PM
I'm sending the endorsement to LFA right now. Time is short but they may be able to help nonetheless.

I will also try to send it to Amash and Bentivolio so they can make cross endorsements.

EBounding
10-30-2012, 03:59 PM
It's not a significant bloc, but a lot of his volunteers are Ron Paul volunteers. But I've personally seen his conduct and temperament at a convention and was not impressed. It is interesting though how much he is trying to curry favor with Ron Paul supporters.

Here's the National Security section of his website shortly before the August primary: (http://web.archive.org/web/20101202185526/http://www.votevolaric.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=108:national-security&catid=47:general&Itemid=178)

National Security Overview

The 21st century will be a dangerous place if America fails to protect itself. The nation must recommit itself to the principles that made this nation safe, free and prosperous. America must have the means to remain engaged in the world and act proactively to protect our nation and its citizens. We are a global power with global interests. The armed forces of these United States must have the capacity to act anywhere in the world where our vital interests are threatened.

Likewise, safeguarding our homeland is vitally important. Securing our borders, ports of entry, and critical infrastructure is essential for protecting ourselves against attack.

In summary, as a world leader we can defend ourselves against our enemies and at the same time grow our economy and maintain a free and open society.

Homeland Security

The security of our country is now everyone's responsibility, from the Department of Homeland Security to state and local first responders, private businesses, and individual families. The fact that eighty percent of our critical infrastructure is in private hands highlights the need for robust public-private partnerships.

Along with unrelenting vigilance to prevent bioterrorism and other Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) related attacks, we must regularly exercise our ability to quickly respond. We must continue to remove barriers to cooperation and information sharing. We must be able to thwart cyber attacks that could cripple our economy, monitor terrorist activities while respecting Americans' civil liberties, and secure our borders from illegal immigration. Modernized 9-1-1 services must be made universally available and be adequately funded.

We especially acknowledge and appreciate the significant contributions of all of America's First Responders, who keep us safe and secure and who are ever ready to come to our aid.

War in Afghanistan

Winning in Afghanistan is directly related to preventing another ‘9/11’ and is truly the central front in the war on terrorism. Victory can only be achieved once Afghanistan is a stable nation capable of governing itself and defending itself from the Taliban and other terrorist organizations.

Victory – not meeting arbitrary deadlines – should be our objective. If we pull out before victory is achieved then we face a danger far greater than anything we have seen.

Additionally, our troops in combat should be given rules of engagement that allow for an effective execution of the campaign objectives and an unfettered response when under enemy attack.

Take it for what it's worth. Not saying no one should support him, but just consider as much as you can before getting behind someone running for office.

Anti-Neocon
10-30-2012, 04:08 PM
For what it's worth his district is considered Strongly Democratic by the NY Times, so I don't know why we would be putting our efforts into supporting him when we've got Amish and maybe even Bentivolio up by less than a comfortable margin. Sure he's better than Levin but he's most likely going to lose no matter what we do.

GeorgiaAvenger
10-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Maybe he was trying to focus on winning the Republican primary as a mainstream guy before reverting to his true self? That seems most likely to me.

EBounding
10-30-2012, 04:16 PM
This is his second time running, btw. He lost by a large margin in 2010, but since redistricting the 9th has become less democratic.

FSP-Rebel
10-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Supposing this guy is truly deserving of Ron's endorsement, the LP and CP (UST) candidates will be pulling much needed votes from him in the general. I know these third party folk have registered as candidates before the GOP primary but now they're stuck in as potential spoilers. I'm not sure how to rectify situations like this other than to have the GOP-leaning third parties back off when an RP approved person is running in a GOP primary. Course, taking that position will just make them want to stick around anyway. Whateva, let's just keep letting the dems clean house.

Keith and stuff
10-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Supposing this guy is truly deserving of Ron's endorsement, the LP and CP (UST) candidates will be pulling much needed votes from him in the general. I know these third party folk have registered as candidates before the GOP primary but now they're stuck in as potential spoilers. I'm not sure how to rectify situations like this other than to have the GOP-leaning third parties back off when an RP approved person is running in a GOP primary. Course, taking that position will just make them want to stick around anyway. Whateva, let's just keep letting the dems clean house.

It isn't the 3rd parties fault that they have to declare candidates before the primary. The Rs and Ds did that on purpose. It isn't the 3rd parties fault that Ron Paul endorsed this candidate on 10/24. Maybe if the endorsement came 9 months ago things would be different.