PDA

View Full Version : Gary Johnson "Gary Johnson doesn't understand the libertarian spirit"

mdameron
10-28-2012, 12:30 AM
I can't believe people say this. Gary Johnson vetoed 750 bills in his two terms as governor of New Mexico. I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure that's close to a record. He definitely understands the idea of curtailing the government's influence better than pretty much any politician I've seen in my lifetime.

He aint no Ron Paul, but he appears to be a libertarian to the core.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum and I would like to request that it be moved. Thank you.

fr33
10-28-2012, 08:15 AM
He's not libertarian to the core. I'm voting for him but I realize he's a "cost-benefit analysis" Republican.

Feeding the Abscess
10-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Romney vetoed over 800 bills in one term.

VIDEODROME
10-28-2012, 10:26 AM
He's not libertarian to the core. I'm voting for him but I realize he's a "cost-benefit analysis" Republican.

I think very often Gary tries to put his views into terms other people might understand or accept. Maybe it's his way of reaching out to Social Conservatives by explaining the problem through economics or cost/benefit analysis.

mdameron
10-28-2012, 10:53 PM

Well maybe what I said was misinformed then.. I thought 750 was a big deal but I stand corrected.

specsaregood
10-28-2012, 10:59 PM
clearly romney is the gold standard of libertarianism.

BuddyRey
10-28-2012, 11:16 PM
I think he's secretly a very principled libertarian who puts everything in "cost-benefit analysis" terms when he knows he's talking to a general audience of sheeple. But in that third party debate last week, when he knew he was among open-minded people and could let his hair down, he absolutely let it rip with some great lines about ending the IRS, the drug war, and overseas adventurism. He gets it, I'm almost sure, deep down.

Feeding the Abscess
10-28-2012, 11:19 PM
I think he's secretly a very principled libertarian who puts everything in "cost-benefit analysis" terms when he knows he's talking to a general audience of sheeple. But in that third party debate last week, when he knew he was among open-minded people and could let his hair down, he absolutely let it rip with some great lines about ending the IRS, the drug war, and overseas adventurism. He gets it, I'm almost sure, deep down.

Eh, he spoke about marijuana legalization and explicitly denounces legalizing the harder stuff, and even while talking about ending the IRS he was hyping the Fair Tax. I'm not sold on him being secretly more libertarian than his current run would indicate.

nasaal
10-29-2012, 10:52 AM
To me he comes off as a compromise libertarian. He's a bit progressive in some places, conservative in others but he would be a vast improvement over the status quo.

Andyc3020
10-29-2012, 12:46 PM
I don't think anyone thinks Gary Johnson is the best guy for the job. He is currently the best person to vote for in order to grow our cause. It isn't his policy or his record that will be looked at. It's what he stands for. I hope America will see Gary Johnson votes as Ron Paul votes, although we there is the MSM there to prevent that. What do you guys think?

AFPVet
10-29-2012, 01:27 PM
He's still learning. The good news is that he endorsed the best teacher who could help him.

Gravik
10-29-2012, 03:39 PM
This. He let it rip today when I got to see him speak. He talked about ending our military interventions, ending the drug war, balancing the budget, cutting spending, ending the IRS, ending the Federal Reserve, etc. He didn't talk on and on about Romney and Obama. He talked about the issues facing the country - issues neither Romney or Obama have talked about.

misean
10-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Eh, he spoke about marijuana legalization and explicitly denounces legalizing the harder stuff, and even while talking about ending the IRS he was hyping the Fair Tax. I'm not sold on him being secretly more libertarian than his current run would indicate.

I'm enthusiastically for the Fair Tax. I think it makes a lot of sense. Other "non-libertarians" like Peter Thiel agree.

He's usually evasive about legalizing harder drugs. It keeps the option for running for Senate open. You probably aren't going to get elected for state office if you come out in support of legalizing heroin.

Sola_Fide
10-29-2012, 08:34 PM

I agree. Usually I'm fairly good about judging when a person running for office is toning down their deeply held views. I don't think Gary is doing this.

Feeding the Abscess
10-29-2012, 08:55 PM
I'm enthusiastically for the Fair Tax. I think it makes a lot of sense. Other "non-libertarians" like Peter Thiel agree.

He's usually evasive about legalizing harder drugs. It keeps the option for running for Senate open. You probably aren't going to get elected for state office if you come out in support of legalizing heroin.

He flat out said he's opposed to legalizing the harder stuff a few months ago on Red Eye, and if he's not going to fly the freak flag when he's running as a Libertarian...

And I'm glad you're for a coercive tax that aims to be revenue-neutral.