PDA

View Full Version : Disabled Marine threatened/ejected from restaurant for wearing wrong football Jersey.

phill4paul
10-26-2012, 01:44 PM
What the hell has this nation become? Who in their right mind threatens someone in a wheelchair? I hope the Moosehead grill of Mooresville, NC restaurant goes out of business. All I know is that every minute I spent in jail banging some heads would have been worth it.

'Stop using your wheelchair as a crutch': Marine who lost legs in Afghanistan forced out of restaurant with his family after cruel taunts from rival football fans

A U.S. Marine who lost both his legs in Afghanistan was forced to leave a Charlotte restaurant with his family after local football fans hurled vile abuse at them for wearing Dallas Cowboys jerseys.

Marine Garrett Carnes, of Mooresville, North Carolina attended Sunday’s Carolina Panthers’ game against the Cowboys with his wife Courtney, their parents, and friends Brett and Nicole Coburn.
After the game, which the Cowboys won 19-14, the group stopped at the Moosehead Grill for dinner. Several members of the party, including Garrett Carnes, were proudly wearing their Dallas Cowboys jerseys.

Marine Garrett Carnes and his wife Courtney were taunted by football fans at a Charlotte restaurant on Sunday

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/10/25/article-2223059-15AEA638000005DC-480_634x375.jpg

A group of disgruntled Panthers fans spotted their jerseys and started to taunt Carnes and his group even before they entered the restaurant.
'Courtney was the first one out of the vehicle, and while she was getting Garrett’s wheelchair, one guy immediately started yelling at her,' Brett Coburn told The Charlotte Observer.
Once in the restaurant, the Panthers fans continued to mock Carnes and his group. One person told Garrett Carnes: 'Don’t use your wheelchair as a crutch.'

Carnes, who is still undergoing treatment for his wounds at a Washington-area hospital, told them he was a veteran who had lost his legs in Afghanistan.
The situation quickly deteriorated and according to witnesses the two parties almost came to blows after one of the Panthers fans approached Carnes in a threatening manner.

Other patrons stepped in to defuse the situation, but staff asked Garrett Carnes and his party to leave. The police were called by Courtney Carnes, although no charges were filed.

Carnes’ mother, Rhonda, has since addressed a note to restaurant patrons on Facebook. She wrote: 'Why didn’t any of you stand up for my son and daughter? And to think my son almost died for every single person in that bar, by defending all your freedom.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2223059/Marine-lost-legs-Afghanistan-forced-restaurant-cruel-taunts-rival-football-fans.html#ixzz2AR5B7khi
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Brian Coulter
10-26-2012, 01:51 PM
And to think my son almost died for every single person in that bar, by defending all your freedom

That's some faulty genetic material right there.

phill4paul
10-26-2012, 01:57 PM
That's some faulty genetic material right there.

To be truthful I am sure the headline is creating controversy regarding his military service. If he were wearing a Jersey then he obviously wouldn't be wearing his uniform. I'm referring to the fact that these other patrons are simply dicks. And a restaurant that would eject this man and his family doesn't deserve mine, or the communities, patronage.

alucard13mmfmj
10-26-2012, 02:00 PM
people in USA takes sports and entertainment way too seriously.

they need to put that seriousness and energy into freedom.

matt0611
10-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Weather he was a marine or not doesn't really matter to me but I think its downright disgusting that people could be so vain, stupid, emotional, and angry over a game. People that think this way have lost site of the important things in life. To disrespect someone and verbally abuse anyone and their family like that simply for wearing a uniform of an opposing team, let alone a disabled person in a wheelchair is simply disgusting. What is wrong with people?

AGRP
10-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Anyone who wears team/tribal/etc. jerseys/clothes/etc. and doesn't expect choice words/treatment/etc. once in a while is incredibly naive. Im not surprised he signed up to be a mercenary.

shane77m
10-26-2012, 02:23 PM

Sports have become a mass distraction. The economy is going to hell? Who cares as long as we got the Superbowl.

QuickZ06
10-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Sports have become a mass distraction. The economy is going to hell? Who cares as long as we got the Superbowl.

This X1000000000000

cajuncocoa
10-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Anyone who wears team/tribal/etc. jerseys/clothes/etc. and doesn't expect choice words/treatment/etc. once in a while is incredibly naive. Im not surprised he signed up to be a mercenary.Seriously? Look, it's one thing to "expect choice words" wearing the opposing team's jersey, but to get thrown out of a restaurant over it? The restaurant owner and its patrons were just butt-hurt because their team sucks and got their asses kicked!!

QuickZ06
10-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Does the owner have a right to kick him out, sure but damn if the social blowback is not a lot more powerful.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Carnes’ mother, Rhonda, has since addressed a note to restaurant patrons on Facebook. She wrote: 'Why didn’t any of you stand up for my son and daughter? And to think my son almost died for every single person in that bar, by defending all your freedom.'

*Sigh*

First thing I did was to look and see if it was Philly. Being NC, I'm surprised. (Philly would have been no shock.)

To be truthful I am sure the headline is creating controversy regarding his military service. If he were wearing a Jersey then he obviously wouldn't be wearing his uniform. I'm referring to the fact that these other patrons are simply dicks. And a restaurant that would eject this man and his family doesn't deserve mine, or the communities, patronage.

Agree.

Anyone who wears team/tribal/etc. jerseys/clothes/etc. and doesn't expect choice words/treatment/etc. once in a while is incredibly naive.

Also agree. I'm not afraid to walk into a biker bar where I might look (or be) out of place, but I won't be wearing a shirt that says "Bikers Suck Dick" or anything. I understand that's an extreme.

Maybe the owner threw him out for his own protection and to keep peace, and to shut people up. I would prefer the owner stood up for him and mentioned that they all had the commonality of being passionate football fans.

But also... who knows what was really happening or what the real dialogue was? Without knowing the real dialogue, we don't know anything. Maybe the former marine was escalating the situation. That wouldn't be uncommon.

Matthew5
10-26-2012, 02:56 PM
And to think my son almost died for every single person in that bar, by defending all your freedom.

Perhaps the family shouldn't use his service as a crutch.

I know getting upset about games is silly and childish, but common sense would dictate that you're inviting trouble when you willingly put yourself in an antagonistic scenario. How could this family be upset about people having pride in their team when they themselves were proudly sporting their jerseys?

I'm not defending the immaturity on either side...but it does annoy me when A: people are shocked this stuff happens and B: when people use military service as immunity

Also, why would he side with abunch of out-of-towners at the risk of ticking off his regulars?

angelatc
10-26-2012, 03:08 PM
I am guessing alcohol was involved.

Matthew5
10-26-2012, 03:11 PM
I am guessing alcohol was involved.

With rabid football fans? That's a stretch... :D

matt0611
10-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Perhaps the family shouldn't use his service as a crutch.

I know getting upset about games is silly and childish, but common sense would dictate that you're inviting trouble when you willingly put yourself in an antagonistic scenario. How could this family be upset about people having pride in their team when they themselves were proudly sporting their jerseys?

I'm not defending the immaturity on either side...but it does annoy me when A: people are shocked this stuff happens and B: when people use military service as immunity

Also, why would he side with abunch of out-of-towners at the risk of ticking off his regulars?

Eh, I dunno. The guy went to a football game wearing his favorite team's jersey and then to a restaurant with his family. What is wrong with that?

Expect a few friendly taunts or jokes? Yeah, maybe, sure. But to have people get so riled up over it to have to be forced by the management to leave? No way. Its a damn game.

AGRP
10-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Huh? The guy went to a football game wearing his favorite team's jersey and then to a restaurant with his family. What is wrong with that?

Expect a few friendly taunts or jokes? Yeah, maybe, sure. But to have people get so riled up over it to have to be forced by the management to leave? No way. Its a damn game. There's no excuse for it.
Have you ever been to a game or bar?

matt0611
10-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Have you ever been to a game or bar?

Yes, probably hundreds of times.

I'm not saying its something that surprises me, I'm just saying, there's really something wrong in our society when this kind of thing should be expected.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Huh? The guy went to a football game wearing his favorite team's jersey and then to a restaurant with his family. What is wrong with that?

Expect a few friendly taunts or jokes? Yeah, maybe, sure. But to have people get so riled up over it to have to be forced by the management to leave? No way. Its a damn game. There's no excuse for it.

This is my point here. We have no idea what was actually said, and by whom. None of us (not present) are really in a position to judge anyone's actions here. We lack the dialogue. It's pretty much the most important part of the entire interaction. The facts presented are all secondary.

Dr.3D
10-26-2012, 03:20 PM

I'm not saying its something that surprises me, I'm just saying, there's really something wrong in our society when this kind of thing should be expected.
TPTB just love how sports distract the average person in this country from what is really important.

AGRP
10-26-2012, 03:29 PM

Its not the end of the world. We arent so bad compared to soccer fans. This guy would be lucky to survive his trip back home if he pulled the same stunt in in Ireland.

GunnyFreedom
10-26-2012, 03:48 PM
I don't think that Josh "Tank" Watts is going to enjoy living near Charlotte, NC any more.

angelatc
10-26-2012, 03:50 PM
With rabid football fans? That's a stretch... :D

My friends have been those guys. I recognize the symptoms.

GunnyFreedom
10-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Eh, I dunno. The guy went to a football game wearing his favorite team's jersey and then to a restaurant with his family. What is wrong with that?

Expect a few friendly taunts or jokes? Yeah, maybe, sure. But to have people get so riled up over it to have to be forced by the management to leave? No way. Its a damn game.

And the guy (in the wheelchair) was not an out of towner, he was a local.

phill4paul
10-26-2012, 04:23 PM
I don't think that Josh "Tank" Watts is going to enjoy living near Charlotte, NC any more.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/29065495.jpg

Demigod
10-26-2012, 04:24 PM

:rolleyes:

In Italy Juventus fans ran over a guy by the road with a bus for wearing another teams jersey,fans killed a police inspector by trowing a bomb in his car,Serbian fans started a riot in Italy to show their displeasure with their national team leadership.I won't even start with Greece or let alone Russia and Poland.Wearing jerseys anywhere except where you know everyone supports your team is fairly dangerous.

It is fortunate that the field is so big so the fans can be separated by iron fences and there are athletic tracks in most stadiums that give a lot of space between the field and the fans.,you should see the basketball or handball games.There is enough change,lighters,cell phones thrown in one game to last you a life time.

Now that being told because I don't know the full story I would not judge either side,but even in Europe they would first ask him to take of the jersey because attacking a crippled guy especially a veteran one no matter how drunk they are is still as low as you can get.If he doesn't take it off the owner would tell him to leave.

kathy88
10-26-2012, 05:01 PM
If no one else will say it, I will. Free market. Private property rights. Asshole move? Absolutely. Against most of the posters on this forums' better nature? Of course. But that's what we preach. Hopefully the market will take care of these tools. But I will defend their right to do it with my dying breath. What a clusterfuck this libertarian thing is, eh?

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-26-2012, 05:18 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/29065495.jpg

I thought his shirt said Dallas... not Disabled Combat Vet.

If he wants to parade his Disabled Combat Vet status as protection for everything else, then he should probably wear a Disabled Combat Vet jersey.

And why is that "tank" dipshit wearing shoulder pads? lol.

GunnyFreedom
10-26-2012, 05:22 PM
:rolleyes:

In Italy Juventus fans ran over a guy by the road with a bus for wearing another teams jersey,fans killed a police inspector by trowing a bomb in his car,Serbian fans started a riot in Italy to show their displeasure with their national team leadership.I won't even start with Greece or let alone Russia and Poland.Wearing jerseys anywhere except where you know everyone supports your team is fairly dangerous.

It is fortunate that the field is so big so the fans can be separated by iron fences and there are athletic tracks in most stadiums that give a lot of space between the field and the fans.,you should see the basketball or handball games.There is enough change,lighters,cell phones thrown in one game to last you a life time.

Now that being told because I don't know the full story I would not judge either side,but even in Europe they would first ask him to take of the jersey because attacking a crippled guy especially a veteran one no matter how drunk they are is still as low as you can get.If he doesn't take it off the owner would tell him to leave.

Just because Europeans jump off a cliff should Americans jump too? ;)

GunnyFreedom
10-26-2012, 05:23 PM
If no one else will say it, I will. Free market. Private property rights. Asshole move? Absolutely. Against most of the posters on this forums' better nature? Of course. But that's what we preach. Hopefully the market will take care of these tools. But I will defend their right to do it with my dying breath. What a clusterfuck this libertarian thing is, eh?

Pretty sure that's what we are already doing. Haven't seen anybody in this thread yet call for the Mecklenburg County Commission to step in and shut them down. :)

dillo
10-27-2012, 01:27 AM
They could have asked them to leave for safety reasons. I have denied a blind woman access to our bar when we were slammed busy because I felt like it was a safety issue. I felt like an asshole, but it had to be done. With that being said I can assure I would remove every person from my bar personally if they were harassing someone in a wheelchair. Even if he was a cowboys fan.

BuddyRey
10-27-2012, 01:53 AM
Gosh, why do these awful stories keep coming out about nutjobs in NC? Are they putting something in the water here?

On behalf of all Carolinians and Panthers fans who aren't completely insane, I sincerely apologize for the actions and behaviors of these jerks.

Czolgosz
10-27-2012, 03:37 AM
Did the guy in the wheelchair serve in the armed forces? Gut feel says he did. Anybody else get that impression?

Tod
10-27-2012, 07:22 AM

It is a war substitute.

donnay
10-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Does the owner have a right to kick him out, sure but damn if the social blowback is not a lot more powerful.

I agree and the Marine and his family have a right to their first amendment to tell their story and get people outraged enough to boycott this restaurant.

We are seriously entering the final stages of the Roman Empire--bread and circuses.

"The people are only anxious for two things: bread and circuses."

shane77m
10-27-2012, 07:48 PM
http://youtu.be/Hinck4pdS10

I care for football even less than Meatwad.

qh4dotcom
10-27-2012, 08:03 PM
What the hell has this nation become? Who in their right mind threatens someone in a wheelchair? I hope the Moosehead grill of Mooresville, NC restaurant goes out of business. All I know is that every minute I spent in jail banging some heads would have been worth it.

Who in their right mind threatens someone who IS NOT in a wheelchair? Would you also hope that any restaurant who does that goes out of business? Would you risk going to jail banging some heads for that?

QuickZ06
10-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Update: This was on the FB page.

"Message from Cpl. Garrett and his family. Please read, follow their lead on this, and keep them in your prayers as Garrett goes through yet another surgery.

We appreciate all the post and messages supporting me and Garrett through this ridiculous ordeal. We have decided as a family that for now we are not going to make any statements to any newspapers or news stations about the incident that happ...ened this past Sunday. The fact of the matter is that there are bullies in all walks of life and we just so happened to stumble upon a group of them at Mooseheads. Garrett and I would just like to say that we have no ill wishes or feelings towards Mooseheads, nor do we want their business to suffer. The owner, Chris, is not at fault and is doing everything he can to make amends with us. The issue was with a rowdy and vile Panther fan, not with Moosehead Bar and Grill; and Chris personally invited us back in to eat dinner after the altercation was over. Thanks again to everyone who supports us through good times and bad. Please remember Garrett in your prayers next week during his surgery."

CaptainAmerica
10-27-2012, 10:56 PM
douche bags.

QuickZ06
10-27-2012, 11:00 PM
So if anyone has done a search on the restaurant on line the ratings have tanked for the place. Seems the interwebs made a mistake and started judging too early.

RickyJ
10-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Typical football fans if you ask me. I never cared for football, it seems to attract the dumbest people.

heavenlyboy34
10-27-2012, 11:15 PM
Just because Europeans jump off a cliff should Americans jump too? ;)
Yes. That's how we take care of teh world! ;)

Arion45
10-27-2012, 11:22 PM
It is just tribal ideology the same that gOt the soldier to join the military.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-28-2012, 09:18 AM
So if anyone has done a search on the restaurant on line the ratings have tanked for the place. Seems the interwebs made a mistake and started judging too early.

Other patrons stepped in to defuse the situation, but staff asked Garrett Carnes and his party to leave.

Unless that is false, I'd say they are doing just fine. If people need to be wearing Panther jerseys with shoulder pads in that establishment, people should know ahead of time. Also, the family whined that they didn't like the patrons there. I'd take a review like that seriously and pick someplace else. I often have women and/or children with me.

seraphson
10-28-2012, 11:06 AM
I said something about this before. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?393232-is-Fox-really-going-to-broadcast-a-baseball-game-instead-of-the-debate&p=4695727#post4695727)

It's pathetic. I never will nor ever care to understand the fascination and abhorrently intense rivalry between grown men watching other grown men play kids' after school past time games professionally.

phill4paul
10-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Who in their right mind threatens someone who IS NOT in a wheelchair? Would you also hope that any restaurant who does that goes out of business? Would you risk going to jail banging some heads for that?

Yup. I've never been a fan of bullies of any bent. Not since I realized bullies learn to STFU once they are laid out.

thoughtomator
10-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Apparently property rights were not among the rights he was protecting with his service.

phill4paul
10-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Apparently property rights were not among the rights he was protecting with his service.

How so? He was asked to leave and he did.

GunnyFreedom
10-28-2012, 01:30 PM

I'm a bit confused as to why you think this. I'm still getting emails to stop fracking and to pass Caylee's Law, but I have not received a single email about this incident much less heard any calls for government to step in and shut them down. None of my people in Mecklenburg County have reported an attempt to lobby the Commission to revoke their business license. Nor have there been any attempts by the Mooresville Town Council to shutter their business.

A bunch of people saying "this company did something horrible, so don't give them your business" is not a violation of property rights.

Dr.3D
10-28-2012, 01:33 PM
I have read nothing about anyone wanting the government to step in and do something about the situation. Sure, the property owner is within his rights to do what he did, but that doesn't make it right. People also have the right to say they don't like what he did and hope others avoid doing business with him.

GunnyFreedom
10-28-2012, 01:49 PM
I have read nothing about anyone wanting the government to step in and do something about the situation. Sure, the property owner is within his rights to do what he did, but that doesn't make it right. People also have the right to say they don't like what he did and hope others avoid doing business with him.

Aye, yes indeed.

The fact is that ostracization is precisely how companies are 'regulated' in a truly free market. Those who are offended by this kind of action, would be REALLY offended by what happens in a truly free market. This is what liberty looks like.

Freedom (of course) implies the freedom to do stuff you and I may not like. Both for Mr. "Tank" Watts, and for the people boycotting the Moosehead Grill. What we are seeing here, is the last dying vestiges of the free market at work. Can you imagine the power of the free market at full steam? :D

tod evans
10-28-2012, 02:30 PM
I don't have the temperament or personality to deal with folks of this ilk, give me the biker bar any day of the week.

phill4paul
10-28-2012, 03:05 PM
I don't have the temperament or personality to deal with folks of this ilk, give me the biker bar any day of the week.

Yup. That or my V.F.W. The last place I can actually smoke a cigarette while I drink.

tod evans
10-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Yup. That or my V.F.W. The last place I can actually smoke a cigarette while I drink.

I do okay at VFWs too.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Pretty sure a VFW might result in a bunch of slightly older gentlemen kicking the crap out of me. I'll take my chances with bikers and panther fans.

phill4paul
10-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Pretty sure a VFW might result in a bunch of slightly older gentlemen kicking the crap out of me. I'll take my chances with bikers and panther fans.

Lol. I've actually made some headway in my post. The neocon used to be strong in them but they are coming around.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Lol. I've actually made some headway in my post. The neocon used to be strong in them but they are coming around.

All of my family who hung out at such places died believing they were heroic freedom fighters. I have appealed to other family, saying "They would not have agreed with the state of america today." Most of my living family would agree, but not all. :(