PDA

View Full Version : Police Tase Diabetic Teen in Hypoglycemic State

EBounding
10-26-2012, 07:08 AM
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/10/24/diabetic-cleburne-teen-hit-with-taser-after-crash/

The 19-year-old driver was in a hypoglycemic state. He’s diabetic. His blood sugar was dangerously low.

“Step out of the vehicle, sir. Provide me with your driver’s license and insurance,” the officer can be heard saying. “Step out of the vehicle. Or I will tase you!”

23-seconds later he does, firing at the teenager once in the car and once on the ground.

Emergency crews arrive. The officer finds out what was wrong. “I didn’t know he was freakin’ diabetic!” the officer said.

They settled for only $5000 and the police are now required to watch a "Diabetes awareness" video....Is this real life?

tod evans
10-26-2012, 07:17 AM
Comply damn you! :mad:

donnay
10-26-2012, 07:40 AM
I have known of police beating down some diabetics and saying they thought they were drunk for not complying with their requests--and getting away with it! I am glad this type scenario is being reported. Since being a diabetic is up ten fold in this country. "Total: 25.8 million children and adults in the United States—8.3% of the population—have diabetes," according to the American Diabetic Association (http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-statistics/).

The legend has it police are supposed to be trained professionals. The reality is, they are thugs in uniforms who protect the banksters.

I cannot say this enough; they are the standing army our founders warned us about.

Czolgosz
10-26-2012, 07:46 AM

I cannot say this enough; they are the standing army our founders warned us about.

Most definitely.

coastie
10-26-2012, 08:29 AM
Great...I have hypoglycemia. But I dont drive when my blood sugar is low, I dont see why anyome would even attempt that....

Thats NOT excusing what this idiot did though. $5000, really?

donnay
10-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Great...I have hypoglycemia. But I dont drive when my blood sugar is low, I dont see why anyome would even attempt that....

Thats NOT excusing what this idiot did though. $5000, really?

Blood glucose levels can drop suddenly, so technically it can happen when a person is driving or walking.

aGameOfThrones
10-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Old, but these are our "professionals".

Prospero Lassi says he suffered a diabetes-induced seizure at home on April 9. His roommate called 911, and police from LaGrange Park and Brookfield responded, with EMTs from LaGrange Park.

Lassi says his roommate explained to police that he was having a diabetic seizure. Lassi "was not alert and could not move his body."

When the EMTs asked the cops to help them move Lassi from where he was lying on the floor, Lassi says, one of his "arms flailed during his diabetes-induced seizure, striking one of the LaGrange and Brookfield defendants. At no time did Mr. Lassi intentionally strike or offensively touch any of the LaGrange or Brookfield defendants."

Lassi says LaGrange Park Officer Darren Pedota responded by Tasering him 11 times, for nearly a minute, as he lay helpless.

He was hospitalized for 5 days, and was unable to work for 3 months because of the attack, "and his quality of life has suffered substantially," Lassi says.

http://reason.com/blog/2009/12/30/dont-tase-me-when-im-having-a

acptulsa
10-26-2012, 01:35 PM
That happened to an epileptic here a while back. He didn't survive it.

Anti Federalist
10-26-2012, 02:18 PM
That happened to an epileptic here a while back. He didn't survive it.

I remember that case.