PDA

View Full Version : Drone wars

tangent4ronpaul
10-26-2012, 04:25 AM
With the cops and feds planning to put 30,000 drones over American cities, isn't it time the citizenry got into an arms race here? Now you can own your own, personal drone for a measly $600 (plus radio control stuff)! Imagine the possibilities:

Park it outside the 36th story conference room of your local federal office building.
Go window to window of an office building projecting our YouTube like propaganda short features or add a streaming LED array under it to deliver messages.
Play chicken with helicopters. (NOT recommended!)
Follow your local SWAT team and stream live on the Internet their early morning raids on the wrong house and killing the family dog.
(I see AF ordering one now...)
Kamakazi drones for drone vs drone warfare.
Find out if that really hot girl nextdoor behind that really high fence really does sunbathe topless.
add a smoke bomb feature to mess with spy drones.
"tag" spy drones with hot pink spray paint. Preferably luminescent.
add a GPS generator in order to hijack other drones.
build a small squadron and force other drones to land.
park one over an opponents political rally and heckle them via amp and speaker.
as above, but drop flyers instead.
Instantly solve DHS constipation problems by having impromptu air shows over sporting events at halftime. (these things can fly in formation...)
Give riot police something else to think about besides going medieval on demonstrators.
Equip each drone in a swarm squadron with a ultra-bright LED. One of the ones they use in traffic lights that's visible for miles and have a flying, scrolling LED sign in the sky, sans airplane.
Aerial pirate radio station. Remember that Dennis Hopper movie about a Pirate TV station in a converted B-52... title? Anyway, I think FCC laws on broadcasting are landlocked and the result would be the same as broadcasting from 12 miles offshore.

What fun! The possibilities are endless!

Better yet, it's 10% off if you order before midnight 10/31/12 and use promocode 10PERCENT

http://www.makershed.com/ELEV_8_Quadcopter_p/mkpx23.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uzsEn4pjK3g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=cOWb-43FD08&NR=1

So, dear readers - tell us how you would use your own personal drone if you had one?

What other scenarios do you see for drone wars?

Drone wars would actually make a pretty good video game...

When drones are outlawed, only outlaws (and cops) will have drones!

Let the arms race begin! lol!

-t

ps: bet we could get a really deep discount if we ordered 30,000 of them or made our own kit. Just imagine streaming drone cams live on the net. I'm talking about our drones following and broadcasting what their spy drones are up to - live! What a hoot!

tangent4ronpaul
10-28-2012, 06:16 AM
I've been thinking about this for a while. Especially the swarm drone scrolling sign idea...

OCH did a few flyovers of FL via SkySpot advertizing the last 2 campaign cycles. THANK YOU! to all supporters that chipped in for these! They (SkySpot) have some problems... The main ones being it's a plane and eats gas and can't travel too much due to fuel costs, hanger, hotel, etc.

Check these out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2JIt88ieu8&feature=endscreen&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEvGLcNFKV8

Drone swarms would SIP energy! could be larger as to the super brite LED footprint and over the long run would easily pay for themselves quickly.

The one pointed to above is $600 and has a 2 pound payload capability. It can be done for less. I ran into a toy for $60 with no payload capability... There are some Youtubes out there where the frame was built for like $5... other major costs:

The controller:
http://www.scoutuav.com/
(could be done for a lot less - esp in bulk!)

Motors get cheaper in bulk

As to the RC unit, an expensive component, but you only need a very low power radio on each unit to coordinate and control a swarm. Ideally, you would want 1 or 2 fallback units that could be directly controlled by RC to control the swarm in case of problems.

Rodger, the SkySpot pilot said he had something like 80-120 lights under his wings and I think we could get the per-unit (quadcopter) cost down to around $100-200 each. So total cost of a swarm could be in the area of $10,000-20,000. Perhaps a bit more.

This is all very early in the development process, but WOW! talk about potential! Ideally we would want to get 4-6 teams deployed across the US to respond to active campaigns, but lets think about 1 for proof of concept. Start with a few units that can do one letter at a time and build from there... 1-2K... and ppls time. Chip in for a research effort?

We do have a EE PhD prof in TX that is a supporter and I'm sure if we did the contact effort we would find many supporters that are into RC stuff and would love to participate making this a reality!

We could fly these swarms 365 days a year - weather permitting and totally bypass the MSM!

thoughts?

-t

tod evans
10-28-2012, 06:23 AM
Silk thread/fishing line and treble hooks used to disable/sabotage government drones.

tangent4ronpaul
10-28-2012, 06:39 AM
"treble hooks"??? - please elaborate...

-t

FindLiberty
10-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Interesting - Sky LED Messages. I know about Arduino based GPS station point auto-pilot, etc. SOUNDS LIKE FUN!!!

The expanding government problem is everywhere, drones in the sky is just one example. I have yet to hear of any successful pushback from people since the repeal of alcohol prohibition. IMO, we still need a workable solution along the lines of ballot box and jury box. Education about Liberty will need more than an illuminated sign to overcome school and msm propaganda that permeates our crumbling country.

But there's a problem in hard-nosed confrontation (taking or intercepting video or photos, signal jamming or even a dog fight with gov drones in the air) because Drone vs Drone = Prison ('cause "their" drones are the legal ones...)

tangent4ronpaul
10-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Interesting - Sky LED Messages. I know about Arduino based GPS station point auto-pilot, etc. SOUNDS LIKE FUN!!!

Yeah! it sounds like a hell of a lot of fun! Lets do it!

But there's a problem in hard-nosed confrontation (taking or intercepting video or photos, signal jamming or even a dog fight with gov drones in the air) because Drone vs Drone = Prison ('cause "their" drones are the legal ones...)

Unfortunately, you are correct. It is kinda fun to think about though!, and if enough ppl did it. They are FUCKED!

-t

tod evans
10-28-2012, 12:21 PM
"treble hooks"??? - please elaborate...

-t

One of the favorites of weed growers in national forests in the '70's.....Hang `em low or high once they grab a target you're assured of hindered approach and if you're lucky a disabled intruder...

Mounted to sprung saplings they assured good penetration......Dangling from a "privately" owned drone they could prove effective at snaring an intruding craft..

Origanalist
10-28-2012, 12:44 PM
So, dear readers - tell us how you would use your own personal drone if you had one?

I would like to tell you, but then I would have to kill you. :)

tangent4ronpaul
10-28-2012, 06:22 PM
I would like to tell you, but then I would have to kill you. :)

But would you eat me too?

Ref to the recent thread on cannibalism n/ the novel "Stranger in a Strange land".

-t

presence
10-28-2012, 08:36 PM
I read an article not to far back about someone making a small bank taking overhead film of top dollar realestate that was for sale and selling it to the owners to post online.

Kelly.
10-29-2012, 09:11 AM
i would prefer a t580 drone, with camera mount.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/608191735/LOTURC-T580-aerial-photography-four-axis-airplain-can-equipped-with-a-tripod-heads-shot-DHL-free.jpg

also see:
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/406/150/425/425150406_852.jpg

imo, aerial photography business can be started with ~$2500 or so. this includes a drone, extra batteries, controller and camera.

the hardest part for me is figuring a way to secure the communications between MY drone and MY controller.