PDA

View Full Version : General Need a Plan C for voting

Matthew5
10-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Ok, so I checked out the election ballot to prepare myself before voting early voting begins. For reasons I'd rather not get into, I'm registered to vote in Oklahoma (just FYI). My Plan A was NOBP, write-in. Sorry...no write-ins allowed. My Plan B was to vote third party...whoopsie, only republicans and democrats are on the ballot.

I want to be able to just vote for the state questions and leave the rest of the ballot blank, but I'm afraid it'll disregard my vote (even if the machine is rigged anyway :p ). So I'm struggling to think of a Plan C. I hate that it's come to this! My initial reaction was to vote straight democrat (better is the enemy that is known than a bunch of neocons posing as defenders of liberty), but I've promised myself to never vote for the lesser of two evils again.

So my Plan C is to stay home. Thoughts?

CaptUSA
10-25-2012, 11:51 AM
I don't think your ballot will be disregarded if you don't vote for every block. (Or at least not disregarded more than any other ballot)

I'd still vote for the questions and leave the rest blank. Don't contribute to the mess.

Matthew5
10-25-2012, 01:05 PM
I don't think your ballot will be disregarded if you don't vote for every block. (Or at least not disregarded more than any other ballot)

I'd still vote for the questions and leave the rest blank. Don't contribute to the mess.

It'll be tempting to deface the ballot (doodle a Ron Paul box in lol)...but I was unsure how the machines worked. If it scanned the ballot and saw most of it blank...would it reject it or have it manually checked?

KCIndy
10-25-2012, 01:08 PM
I want to be able to just vote for the state questions and leave the rest of the ballot blank, but I'm afraid it'll disregard my vote (even if the machine is rigged anyway :p

Why not place a phone call to the County Clerk or Elections Clerk where you'll be voting? I can't speak for Oklahoma, but I just "early-voted" in Indiana, and I left several spaces blank. It still counts the marked votes. At least here in Indiana it does.

thoughtomator
10-25-2012, 01:19 PM
I have turned in more than one completely blank ballot in my time as a method of registering protest against the rigged, awful choices that are often force-fed to the electorate.

sailingaway
10-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Vote on other things but leave president blank and it will be counted in the 'undervote' for that office, which is a catch all 'none of the above' category. A couple people said they were going to leave 'Ron Paul' on a postit on the machine just to feel better about it, but the effect is the same in your circumstance by leaving it blank and having it fall to 'none of the above'.

but you have to show up to have your protest count, or they just spin it as apathy or contentment.

KCIndy
10-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Vote on other things but leave president blank and it will be counted in the 'undervote' for that office, which is a catch all 'none of the above' category. A couple people said they were going to leave 'Ron Paul' on a postit on the machine just to feel better about it, but the effect is the same in your circumstance by leaving it blank and having it fall to 'none of the above'.

but you have to show up to have your protest count, or they just spin it as apathy or contentment.

My county in Indiana uses electronic ballots. (boo!) The only way I could "write in" Ron Paul would be by using a magic marker on the voting screen... and believe me, I WAS SORELY TEMPTED!!!

GunnyFreedom
10-25-2012, 02:18 PM
No Paulers down-ballot in your OK district? :(

specsaregood
10-25-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm voting for the "NSA did 9/11" party candidate. I'm sure glad to have such a wide array of choices.

Matthew5
10-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll be sure to keep it blank to register my protest. :)

Matthew5
10-25-2012, 03:00 PM
No Paulers down-ballot in your OK district? :(

Could you clarify your question? Are you asking if there are ANY Ron Paul candidates on my ballot?

GunnyFreedom
10-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Could you clarify your question? Are you asking if there are ANY Ron Paul candidates on my ballot?

Yes, that is what I am asking.

Matthew5
10-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Yes, that is what I am asking.

Not that I can tell. I missed the local debates due to an emergency, so I've only got the local paper and the candidate's website to rely on. The House seat is up between a small business owner (R) and a lawyer (D) and some independent from England. The state senate race is between two town locals, I know the dem. is terrible in this one. I heard him drone on about how important the government's role in education was and how we needed more government jobs. I didn't get a chance to hear the republican speak. I've personally met our state rep. and spent about 30 minutes talking to him. He's a much more moderate democrat because he's a regional business owner.

I had alot of animosity toward me when I canvassed back before the primary. This district runs pretty blue, so no hopes for a Ron Paul republican.

GeorgiaAvenger
10-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Don't stay home, even if you don't vote for President, there are other important elections.

heavenlyboy34
10-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Don't stay home, even if you don't vote for President, there are other important elections. And there's always fun to be had. Write in funny names like Vermin supreme, play drinking games, hand out literature, etc. :D

GeorgiaAvenger
10-25-2012, 07:11 PM
And there's always fun to be had. Write in funny names like Vermin supreme, play drinking games, hand out literature, etc. :DWhoa!