PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT: OFFICIAL HURRICANE THREAD

Pages : [1] 2 3

libertygrl
10-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Please, lets keep this thread bumped guys.

I wasn't scared until I heard this freakin' CNN weather girl saying that she gasped in disbelief at the latest radar reports. I mean, just tell us the facts and not your personal feelings.

She claimed that this could be the perfect storm! Living along the coast all my life and having had to evacuate last year, it's been my experience that the media uses scare tactics to freak people out so, I'm not sure what to believe yet.

Maybe for those of us along the projected path, we can start off talking about preparations, what people are going to buy, and then keep up with how this hurricane is progressing. Also, what are your beliefs about weather modification? Is having a hurricane in late October unusual at all? I don't recall ever experiencing one so late.

Thanks to presence for beginning this discussion. I didn't mean to step on your toes, I just wanted this topic to get more exposure.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?393530-quot-DOWNRIGHT-SCARY-quot-quot-Potential-Billion-Dollar-Storm-quot-quot-More-and-More-Like-quot-NJ-NY-PA

Last year I put some family items like old photographs and personal mementos in an overnight bag when I had to evacuate. The media built up
hurricane Irene so bad, I was having visions of Katrina in my head. But it wasn't that bad at all.

I never bothered to unpack the overnight bag because I figured if it happens again, that will be one less thing I have to worry about. Damn, I wish I don't have to evacuate again! :mad:

Here's more media reports:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArZ-GRw4xDA

libertygrl
10-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Please, lets keep this thread bumped guys.

I wasn't scared until I heard this freakin' CNN weather girl saying that she gasped in disbelief at the latest radar reports. I mean, just tell us the facts and not your personal feelings.

She claimed that this could be the perfect storm! Living along the coast all my life and having had to evacuate last year, it's been my experience that the media uses scare tactics to freak people out so, I'm not sure what to believe yet.

Maybe for those of us along the projected path, we can start off talking about preparations, what people are going to buy, and then keep up with how this hurricane is progressing. Also, what are your beliefs about weather modification? Is having a hurricane in late October unusual at all? I don't recall ever experiencing one so late.

Thanks to presence for beginning this discussion. I didn't mean to step on your toes, I just wanted this topic to get more exposure.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?393530-quot-DOWNRIGHT-SCARY-quot-quot-Potential-Billion-Dollar-Storm-quot-quot-More-and-More-Like-quot-NJ-NY-PA

Last year I put some family items like old photographs and personal mementos in an overnight bag when I had to evacuate. The media built up
hurricane Irene so bad, I was having visions of Katrina in my head. But it wasn't that bad at all.

I never bothered to unpack the overnight bag because I figured if it happens again, that will be one less thing I have to worry about. Damn, I wish I don't have to evacuate again! :mad:

Here's more media reports:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArZ-GRw4xDA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbn8NqDIz3Y

TonySutton
10-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Sandy cranked up right before she hit Cuba but then comes the mountains of Cuba which are very disruptive and will cause her to lose steam a bit. From what I have read there are somewhat chaotic conditions ahead which are generally not favorable to growth so I would be surprised if her intensity increases much. That does not mean as a storm she might no grow in size but I doubt the winds will increase dramatically. That said hurricanes are hard to predict because there are a lot of variables which affect their intensity and movement so it is best to keep an eye out. They generally move slow, 10-15 mph, which gives you time to head out if needed.

I spent a lot of my life in FL and NC so I have seen many hurricanes come and go. I have had eye walls go over my house more than once. Preparation is the most important thing.

With regards to October hurricanes, if I recall correctly hurricane season can last into Nov but it is very rare to see one then. Generally they peak around mid Sept.

Root
10-25-2012, 10:51 AM
I follow these guys when big storms approach.

http://www.easternpaweatherauthority.com/

TonySutton
10-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Btw, what state are you located in?

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Is having a hurricane in late October unusual at all? I don't recall ever experiencing one so late.

October is still considered "hurricane season."

http://www.stormfax.com/hurmonth.htm

Only goes to 2006, but there are plenty of US hurricane strikes in OCT.

Having a few weeks of food and water are a good idea.

libertygrl
10-25-2012, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the link. Great site!

libertygrl
10-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Sandy cranked up right before she hit Cuba but then comes the mountains of Cuba which are very disruptive and will cause her to lose steam a bit. From what I have read there are somewhat chaotic conditions ahead which are generally not favorable to growth so I would be surprised if her intensity increases much. That does not mean as a storm she might no grow in size but I doubt the winds will increase dramatically. That said hurricanes are hard to predict because there are a lot of variables which affect their intensity and movement so it is best to keep an eye out. They generally move slow, 10-15 mph, which gives you time to head out if needed.

I spent a lot of my life in FL and NC so I have seen many hurricanes come and go. I have had eye walls go over my house more than once. Preparation is the most important thing.

With regards to October hurricanes, if I recall correctly hurricane season can last into Nov but it is very rare to see one then. Generally they peak around mid Sept.

I just looked up hurricane season. You are right. It lasts until Nov. 30.

Yeah, I guess it would be hard to predict. My concern is that cold front coming in at the same time. Even if the storm is along the coast, the cold front inland can attrack the storm towards itself. At least that's what Sam Champion said in that video.

Let me ask you guys. What's an alternative if we lose cell phone power and or a signal. At first I was concerned with just the power but then I read how the storm can just as soon affect the cell phone towers as well. Obviously, it may not hit them all but I read all it takes is one tower and if that's the one closest to where you live to get a signal, you're screwed.

TonySutton
10-25-2012, 11:28 AM
When big storms hit and knock out the electricity do not count on any phones working for very long. Land lines and cell phones all use battery backup which is why they still work when you lose power at your house. Unfortunately these batteries will only last a certain length of time. They will have generators to keep the batteries from dieing but sometimes even that is not fool proof, especially when lots of trees topple or lose branches.

The best thing you can do to prepare is to make sure you have plenty of food and water to last you for 1-2 weeks. Make sure this is food you can prepare without electricity. Remember everything in your fridge and freezer will spoil if you lose electricity for several days. If you have a chest freezer, make sure you have gallon jugs of water in it. These large ice cubes will last a long time especially if you keep the unit closed.

Here is a very important tip. Fill your bathtub full of water, as high as it will go. This is not for drinking. It is for flushing your toilet. If your well pump has no electricity or if you local water facility is damaged so bad they can not produce water pressure, you will want water for flushing.

Get baby wipes for bathing.

Also, candles, matches and batteries are good to have

nobody's_hero
10-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Luckily it looks to be heading straight for Washington D.C.

libertygrl
10-25-2012, 11:45 AM
When big storms hit and knock out the electricity do not count on any phones working for very long. Land lines and cell phones all use battery backup which is why they still work when you lose power at your house. Unfortunately these batteries will only last a certain length of time. They will have generators to keep the batteries from dieing but sometimes even that is not fool proof, especially when lots of trees topple or lose branches.

The best thing you can do to prepare is to make sure you have plenty of food and water to last you for 1-2 weeks. Make sure this is food you can prepare without electricity. Remember everything in your fridge and freezer will spoil if you lose electricity for several days. If you have a chest freezer, make sure you have gallon jugs of water in it. These large ice cubes will last a long time especially if you keep the unit closed.

Here is a very important tip. Fill your bathtub full of water, as high as it will go. This is not for drinking. It is for flushing your toilet. If your well pump has no electricity or if you local water facility is damaged so bad they can not produce water pressure, you will want water for flushing.

Get baby wipes for bathing.

Also, candles, matches and batteries are good to have

Thanks for the suggestions Tony. Sounds like a plan. I only have use of a cell phone so while I know it is limited, I would still like to have it available even for a short time.

brandon
10-25-2012, 11:46 AM

Nice thanks for the link, I'm in eastern PA. Also thanks for the thread, I actually didn't even hear about this hurricane before now.

Danke
10-25-2012, 11:48 AM
So far south still and they can make that kinda prediction so far north?

VBRonPaulFan
10-25-2012, 11:51 AM
i lived about 2 blocks from the beach in Virginia Beach when Hurricane Isabel made landfall. The storm surge was crazy high, probably at least 8-10 feet.

That wasn't the end of the world, this won't be either. Newscasters like to blow shit up because that's how they keep their ratings up. The worst part of Isabel was not having power for ~ 8-9 days. You just need to prepare if you're in an area where you're likely to lose power to be able to get by without it. If you're at sea level or near it, try to find somewhere to hang out that's more elevated. Stay inside during the worst of the storm.

Other than that, they usually aren't that big of a deal. I've been through several major hurricanes. It floods for a couple of days, you lose power for a while, then you have to go outside and pick up all the downed tree limbs and shit and go about with your life. There isn't any reason to be scared, just prepare and you'll be fine.

TonySutton
10-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the suggestions Tony. Sounds like a plan. I only have use of a cell phone so while I know it is limited, I would still like to have it available even for a short time.

The nice thing about cell phones is that even though you might lose them for a day or 2 the cell phone companies have COLTs that they will drive in to replace lost towers/sites to get coverage back up.

http://gigaom2.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/184479-e1341600200360.jpg

KCIndy
10-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Last year I put some family items like old photographs and personal mementos in an overnight bag when I had to evacuate.

Have you considered making hi-res scans of your important photographs?

If I have a document or photo that I really don't want to lose, I'll scan it and then either store it online or email it to myself.

I know it's not the same thing as having the originals, but in a worst-case scenario having electronic copies of treasured old family photos are a lot better than losing them completely.

libertygrl
10-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Have you considered making hi-res scans of your important photographs?

If I have a document or photo that I really don't want to lose, I'll scan it and then either store it online or email it to myself.

I know it's not the same thing as having the originals, but in a worst-case scenario having electronic copies of treasured old family photos are a lot better than losing them completely.

Yeah, I had been planning to do that for a while now, but I haven't had the time to do it. My cousin gave me copies of a few cds of old family photos that he had scanned himself. So while I have those, I still have my own that need to be done. But you're right, it's better to have them backed up electronically.

ZENemy
10-25-2012, 12:07 PM

Reported!

:D

libertygrl
10-25-2012, 12:13 PM
So far south still and they can make that kinda prediction so far north?

As you know, they use computerized weather tracking systems so I guess they just put in all the pertinent data of the model they are tracking now,
and it gives a prediction based on what they feed it. I'm guessing wind velocity, it's current trajectory, etc.

Again, it's a prediction so it doesn't necessarily mean it will follow the path they predict. As someone here said, hurricanes can change direction very quickly. But one of the meterologists did say that the particular tracking system they use has been pretty accurate so far.

KCIndy
10-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Libertygrl, after reading up a bit on the storm, I wouldn't worry about the high winds or possibility of snow. The winds are supposed to top out at 65mph gusts, which sounds scary but usually just means you'll be picking up sticks and limbs (and your neighbor's trash cans) the next day.

The biggest threat to your area is going to be the threat of flooding. If I were you, that would be my number one concern at this point.

Are you in a low-lying area? Do you know if your neighborhood has ever flooded before?

I don't know what state you're in, but as an example (and useful to Brandon, who mentioned eastern PA) you should be able to look up maps like this one, which can give a better idea of areas prone to flooding:

http://climate.met.psu.edu/features/Floods/PEMA_flood.php

You can also get on to Google maps and hit the "terrain" feature and pull up topographic maps of your area.

The weather service is predicting up to five inches of rain for NYC and surrounding areas. If you live *anywhere* other than really high ground (top of hill or bluff, or well up the side of a hill) you'll want to be vigilant about flash flooding. If you're in a flat, open area, or near a creek or river, or near the bottom of a valley or ravine, it should be of special concern.

Don't panic, just keep the car packed and get set to run to higher ground. Worst case? If you're prepared, you might have to spend a night or two in a motel, or with friends or relatives. (Although in my case, spending the night with MY relatives would BE the disaster, ha!!!)

Stay alert, be prepared, and you'll be fine. Keep us posted on how things turn out! :)

asurfaholic
10-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Im excited. Big waves ahead. Btw... Ive lived oceanfront for years, and came back to see many homes on my street destroyed. Worst storm for me was hurricane fran, 1996, which was a cat 3 storm following a mean little bertha, cat 2, which had hit weeks earlier.

I cant even count how many hurricanes ive been through. Prepare for the worst, have food and water, at least 20 gal of gas in cans. But usually they are tame. People who usually die are those who are hit by falling trees.

Warrior_of_Freedom
10-25-2012, 12:50 PM
I'd never evacuate my home. I'd come back to see it was ransacked by some dipshit.

Elwar
10-25-2012, 01:04 PM
I am on the west coast of Florida. The predictions for over here are just some high winds.

Not too big of a deal.

libertygrl
10-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Libertygrl, after reading up a bit on the storm, I wouldn't worry about the high winds or possibility of snow. The winds are supposed to top out at 65mph gusts, which sounds scary but usually just means you'll be picking up sticks and limbs (and your neighbor's trash cans) the next day.

The biggest threat to your area is going to be the threat of flooding. If I were you, that would be my number one concern at this point.

Are you in a low-lying area? Do you know if your neighborhood has ever flooded before?

I don't know what state you're in, but as an example (and useful to Brandon, who mentioned eastern PA) you should be able to look up maps like this one, which can give a better idea of areas prone to flooding:

You can also get on to Google maps and hit the "terrain" feature and pull up topographic maps of your area.

The weather service is predicting up to five inches of rain for NYC and surrounding areas. If you live *anywhere* other than really high ground (top of hill or bluff, or well up the side of a hill) you'll want to be vigilant about flash flooding. If you're in a flat, open area, or near a creek or river, or near the bottom of a valley or ravine, it should be of special concern.

Don't panic, just keep the car packed and get set to run to higher ground. Worst case? If you're prepared, you might have to spend a night or two in a motel, or with friends or relatives. (Although in my case, spending the night with MY relatives would BE the disaster, ha!!!)

Stay alert, be prepared, and you'll be fine. Keep us posted on how things turn out! :)

Thanks KCIndy. You're right. The flooding is going to be more of a concern- especially since I live along the shore and we are supposed to also be a high tide as well. We've had some nor'easters over the years. Last year we evacuated further north to a relative's house (a relative that I actually like - LOL). Unfortunately she has since moved. But the storm did not cause any major flooding. Only one time did I actually see some flooding in the streets. That was back in the early 90's. The water was slowly building up over the sidewalks. I actually drove through it after leaving work early because of a bad cold. It was not a fun sight to see. It was very unnerving to say the least. Thankfully it didn't get any worse than that and it receeded.

So... we'll see how it goes. At least I have until Sunday night to prepare. Besides the concern factor I guess I'm a little spoiled as well. I hate the inconvenience of it all! :o

libertygrl
10-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Im excited. Big waves ahead. Btw...

This is probably like Christmas time for you surfer dudes. :D

cajuncocoa
10-25-2012, 01:20 PM

Stay alert, be prepared, and you'll be fine. Keep us posted on how things turn out! :)All good advice...also, be sure to stock up on food and water to have at home, just in case stores aren't open for awhile. You might also lose electricity, so be prepared for that. We were without electricity almost a week after Isaac. Get some batteries and flashlights ready.

libertygrl
10-25-2012, 01:35 PM
I think I'll just accept what this guy is saying first, instead of freaking out over what the cable news stations are broadcasting. He sounds more level headed:

2. Local Long Island, NY weather report:

Hurricane Sandy: Another Perfect Storm?
As the hurricane tracks towards Long Island, experts say it's too soon to compare it with the deadly 1991 storm.

Despite Internet buzz that Hurricane Sandy could equal another Perfect Storm, experts say it's too soon to tell if the weather tracking toward Long Island will be as devastating as that deadly 1991 storm.

According to David Stark, meteorologist for the National Weather Service office at Upton, experts are now "confident that Long Island will see some impacts from Sandy."

The new official forecast track, Stark said, has the storm hitting 100 miles southwest of Riverhead on Tuesday at 8 a.m.

The Perfect Storm, in 1991, was a lethal combination of a low-pressure system, a high-pressure system, and Hurricane Grace, that came together to wreak widespread havoc on the Northeast, resulting in 13 deaths.

Hurricane Sandy slammed Jamaica on Wednesday and unleashed her wrath on eastern Cuba on Thursday. NWS sources said the official track indicates the hurricane first moving northward across the Bahamas, and then, eventually, turning northeast out over the western Atlantic and toward Long Island.

The storm will run "well to the east of the mid-Atlantic, North Carolina area" over the weekend, NWS meteorologist Peter Wichrowski said. By Monday or Tuesday, it is expected to make a turn toward Long Island, or just east of the area, near Montauk.

On Thursday, Stark said the hurricane could transition to a post-tropical storm but could still be a "significant event," impacting Long Island.

"The biggest uncertainty we have is in the details," Stark said. "If the track does pan out, we can expect heavy rains, strong winds, coastal flooding and strong waves."

Downed trees and power lines are also a strong possibility.

The storm, however, is still five days out, Stark said. "It does appear that, rather than the storm going out to sea, there is a growing confidence that we will be impacted. We just don't how bad it could be."

Forecaster Jim Cisco of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration prediction center in College Park, Maryland, told the Huffington Post, "We don't have many modern precedents for what the models are suggesting."

The storm, Huffington Post reports, is likely to hit during a full moon when tides are near their highest, increasing coastal flooding potential, according to NOAA forecasts — with all the earmarks of a billion-dollar storm.

Internet speculation is rampant that the Sandy could rival the Perfect Storm of 1991 — haunting scores of residents scared of Halloween devastation.

When asked about the Perfect Storm comparison, Stark said it's too soon to tell. "A Perfect Storm — making those comparisons right now is a little premature. This far in the game, to make a comparison like that, is not a good idea," he said. "We don’t really know how it’s going to evolve."

Stark said that Sandy has the potential to be a "significant storm. We'll have to see how the forecast scenario pans out," he said.

h ttp://westislip.patch.com/articles/hurricane-sandy-another-perfect-storm

libertygrl
10-25-2012, 01:38 PM
All good advice...also, be sure to stock up on food and water to have at home, just in case stores aren't open for awhile. You might also lose electricity, so be prepared for that. We were without electricity almost a week after Isaac. Get some batteries and flashlights ready.

I know. In was a kid when we were out of electricity for 2 weeks! We ate plenty of Spam back then! (To this day, I still don't know exactly what I was eating! Maybe it's better that I don't find out!) LOL. Thanks!

Lucille
10-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Im excited. Big waves ahead...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rweSEI3QFw

I hope you like it! Great show. I was one of its "dozens of fans!" /David Milch

Dianne
10-25-2012, 01:58 PM

LMAO

libertygrl
10-25-2012, 02:07 PM

Now that, WOULD be the perfect storm. :p

libertygrl
10-25-2012, 02:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rweSEI3QFw

I hope you like it! Great show. I was one of its "dozens of fans!" /David Milch

OMG. I'm totally liking that song! I'll have to check them out on iTunes. I'm always looking for bands I haven't heard of. Can't stand what's on the radio these days...

Nirvikalpa
10-25-2012, 02:11 PM
My area was a mess after Hurricane Irene (hundreds of houses deemed 'uninhabitable'). The NYC-area is probably going to be a mess - the metro will probably be shut down, and Amtrak/NJ Transit service will be down too. We have a lot of nursing homes and senior citizen living apartments right alongside the rivers here (whoever thought that was a good idea deserves to be smacked)...

Hoping all my buds in Cape Hatteras, NC can enjoy the surf... but that it stays far, far away from my house. :D

Dianne
10-25-2012, 02:17 PM
I would say everyone on the east coast should prepare. There are some great suggestions on the board .. I would suggest you have plenty of plastic, disposable eating utensils and paper plates and garbage bags in case you lose water and power.

I don't trust anything weather people have to say. I lived through Hurricane Hugo in the Charlotte area, back in the 80's. I stayed up until 1:00 a.m. watching the reports and we were told we might have wind gusts up to 35 mph. At 5:00 a.m. the winds were over 100 mph, there was a freight train sound for about two hours (loud like the track was right outside the door), trees snapping, fireballs bouncing in the yard from transformers blowing. We were without power and phone service for 15 days and were not at all prepared. All the stores and gas stations were closed due to power outages and huge trees across the roads. We couldn't go anywhere, had little in the way of canned goods.. All the stuff in the fridge and freezer spoiled.
It looked like a war zone when it was over. The neighbors all pitched in together to share what resources we had.

I'm just suggesting everyone on the east coast be vigilent, and if it going to come close; just get the hell out of there. It was a terrifying experience !

QuickZ06
10-25-2012, 02:35 PM
If it is a bad one, good luck and hope everyone makes it out ok. Can't be losing these liberty lovers to HAARP.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-25-2012, 02:45 PM

Reported!

:D

It is strictly for hurricanes. :D Once the hurricane is gone, we eat it all up and drink the water as quickly as possible. We used to call it Chris Christie time, but we might call it Honey Boo Boo time next time.

But one of the meterologists did say that the particular tracking system they use has been pretty accurate so far.

Didn't they just have it running into western FL just a day or two ago? These things do change, and this one just did. Otherwise, there'd be nothing new to report. I think their latest forecast (your video) is quite ambitious.

This is probably like Christmas time for you surfer dudes. :D

Too much wind, I hear.

But I've heard a hurricane going into NY at the right angle would be just plain nasty, and they've been saying that for years... kinda like bowling where you want to curve in between the first two pins. The right strike would be an amazing disaster.

Lucille
10-25-2012, 02:59 PM
I wonder how many people don't prep for disasters like this since the govt said it's a "potential indicator of terrorist activities (http://www.shtfplan.com/emergency-preparedness/terrorism-update-fbi-targets-preppers-and-preparedness-supplies-in-latest-bulletin_08112011).”

cajuncocoa
10-25-2012, 03:05 PM
I think I'll just accept what this guy is saying first, instead of freaking out over what the cable news stations are broadcasting. He sounds more level headed:

The Weather Channel people seem to take delight in freaking out over hurricanes. Fear sells.

Evacuate if you think it's not safe to stay in your current location....remember, your life is more important than your stuff. If it's not unsafe to stay, prepare properly and keep your wits about you during the storm. If you do that, there won't be any need to fear.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-25-2012, 03:08 PM
I wonder how many people don't prep for disasters like this since the govt said it's a "potential indicator of terrorist activities (http://www.shtfplan.com/emergency-preparedness/terrorism-update-fbi-targets-preppers-and-preparedness-supplies-in-latest-bulletin_08112011).”

Not sure, but a lot of people have the sense to prepare for a hurricane headed straight for them.

brandon
10-25-2012, 03:18 PM
All that hype over Irene last year and then all he got here in eastern pa was heavy rains for a few hours. I imagine this will be the same thing. Folks on the coast may have more to worry about.

libertygrl
10-25-2012, 03:32 PM
I would say everyone on the east coast should prepare. There are some great suggestions on the board .. I would suggest you have plenty of plastic, disposable eating utensils and paper plates and garbage bags in case you lose water and power.

I don't trust anything weather people have to say. I lived through Hurricane Hugo in the Charlotte area, back in the 80's. I stayed up until 1:00 a.m. watching the reports and we were told we might have wind gusts up to 35 mph. At 5:00 a.m. the winds were over 100 mph, there was a freight train sound for about two hours (loud like the track was right outside the door), trees snapping, fireballs bouncing in the yard from transformers blowing. We were without power and phone service for 15 days and were not at all prepared. All the stores and gas stations were closed due to power outages and huge trees across the roads. We couldn't go anywhere, had little in the way of canned goods.. All the stuff in the fridge and freezer spoiled.
It looked like a war zone when it was over. The neighbors all pitched in together to share what resources we had.

I'm just suggesting everyone on the east coast be vigilent, and if it going to come close; just get the hell out of there. It was a terrifying experience !

Thanks Dianne. Getting some great advice and reports from people who have been there before. I'm trying to think of what non perishables I should buy. I used to be able to eat just carbs and stuff, but I notice lately that I need plenty of protein. I guess tuna and peanut butter is a good place to start.. any suggestions?

libertygrl
10-25-2012, 03:33 PM
If it is a bad one, good luck and hope everyone makes it out ok. Can't be losing these liberty lovers to HAARP. :D

libertygrl
10-25-2012, 03:36 PM
I wonder how many people don't prep for disasters like this since the govt said it's a "potential indicator of terrorist activities (http://www.shtfplan.com/emergency-preparedness/terrorism-update-fbi-targets-preppers-and-preparedness-supplies-in-latest-bulletin_08112011).” These people are A-holes. You have local & government websites telling you how to prepare for disasters, and then at the same time claim that if you do, you are a potential terrorist. They should all look in the mirror when they use that word.

presence
10-25-2012, 03:39 PM
WTF? I posted this yesterday and got demoted to "off topic"

"DOWNRIGHT SCARY" "Potential Billion Dollar Storm" NJ, NY, & PA

Latest updates in reference to Hurricane Sandy:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BGM&product=AFD&form at=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY/... CONTD WITH MAJOR UNCERTAINTY IN THE LONG TERM WITH THE MODELS STILL TRYING TO RESOLVE SANDY AND THE WEATHER WITH THE STORM. 12Z OPERATIONAL GFS (http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=GFS) NOW DOES INDEED CAPTURE THE TROPICAL STORM (http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=TROPICAL%20STORM) AND SLAM IT INTO THE NEW ENGLAND CST ONLY TO STALL IT OVER THE NRN ADIRONDACKS WED. PRVS 00Z ECMWF (http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=ECMWF) DOWNRIGHT SCARY...ESP (http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=ESP) FOR CSTL NY/NJ WITH THE STORM LEFT TURNING A CPL HNDRD MILES FURTHER SOUTH INTO CNTRL (http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=CNTRL) NJ BEFORE STALLING AS EARLY AS TUE. GFS (http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=GFS) ENSEMBLE (http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=ENSEMBLE) MEMBERS HAVE TRENDED TWRD A MORE WWRD TRACK...SO THE BOTTOM LINE IT IS LOOKING MORE AND MORE LIKE THIS SIGNIFICANT STORM WILL BE IMPACTING CNTRL (http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=CNTRL) NEW YORK AND NE PENNSYLVANIA IN THE XTNDD PD (http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=PD).

http://classic.wunderground.com/blog...s/article.html (http://classic.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/article.html)

Sandy: a potential billion-dollar storm
for the mid-Atlantic, New England, and Canada

The latest set of 12Z (8 am EDT) model runs are in, and they portray an increased risk to the U.S. and Canadian East Coasts for early next week. The GFS model, which had been showing that Sandy would head to the northeast out to sea, now has changed its tune, and predicts that Sandy will double back and hit Maine on Tuesday evening. The ECMWF model, which has been very consistent in its handling of Sandy, now has the storm hitting Delaware on Monday afternoon. These models are predicting that Sandy will get caught up by the trough approaching the Eastern U.S., which will inject a large amount of energy into the storm, converting it to a powerful subtropical storm with a central pressure below 960 mb and sustained winds of 60 - 70 mph. Winds of this strength would likely cause massive power outages, as trees still in leaf take out power lines. Also of great concern are Sandy's rains. Given that ocean temperatures along the Northeast U.S. coast are about 5°F above average (http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/?index_region=at), there will be an unusually large amount of water vapor available to make heavy rain. If the trough of low pressure approaching the East Coast taps into the large reservoir of cold air over Canada and pulls down a significant amount of Arctic air, as predicted, the potential exists for the unusually moist air from Sandy to collide with this cold air from Canada and unleash the heaviest October rains ever recorded in the Northeast U.S. Another huge concern is storm surge flooding. Sandy is expected to have tropical storm-force winds that extend out more than 300 miles from the center, which will drive a much larger storm surge than its winds would ordinarily suggest. The full moon is on Monday, which means astronomical tides will be at their peak for the month, increasing potential storm surge flooding.

There remains a lot of model uncertainty on where Sandy might go, and I still give a 30% chance that the storm will have a minimal impact on the U.S. An extra set of balloon-borne radiosondes is going to be launched at 2 pm EDT on Thursday all across the U.S., which should help tomorrow evening's model runs make better forecasts of where Sandy might go. Extra radiosondes will be launched every 6 hours through Saturday afternoon.

Jeff Masters

http://www.wtsp.com/images/640/360/2/assetpool/images/121024074923_tropical-storm-sandy.jpg

http://icons.wxug.com/hurricane/2012/sandy_landfall_jamaica2.jpg

"Downright Scary" is some heavy, flagrant language from the National Weather Service, especially on a storm 5 days off the coast that just became a Cat 1. Aparently, there is a possiblity that Sandy will mix with a cold trough coming across the US and turn into some kind of icy super soaker with prolonged/sustained 60-70 mph wind.

presence

KCIndy
10-25-2012, 03:44 PM
.....I'm trying to think of what non perishables I should buy. I used to be able to eat just carbs and stuff, but I notice lately that I need plenty of protein. I guess tuna and peanut butter is a good place to start.. any suggestions?

Just my 2 cents worth...

My wife and I drive a truck, and have often been stuck for (thankfully) short periods of time in bad weather. We once spent two days stuck in a pullout along I-80 in Wyoming due to a blizzard.

I always keep a few packages of freeze dried camping meals in the truck with me:

http://www.shtfplan.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/mountain-house-food-medium.jpg

You can buy these at almost any Wal-Mart in the sporting goods department for around five bucks a package. As long as you've got water and a way to heat it (even a small sterno stove will work for heating water; again, see the camping department of your local Wal-Mart or sporting goods store) these make pretty tasty emergency meals. Heck, in a worst case scenario, you can dump in cold water and still rehydrate the stuff, although it probably won't taste as good.

These things keep for years, and are actually good enough that if you don't use them for an emergency, they can be used as snacks or meals for those "lazy days" when a trip to the store sounds just... too.... hard..... :)

KramerDSP
10-25-2012, 03:50 PM
I work at a residential school for deaf and blind kids in NE Florida. The kids attend from all over the state. They were sent home today instead of the usual Fridays, and staff were given a paid holiday for tomorrow. I think it's an overreaction for Florida residents but I'm not complaining.

cajuncocoa
10-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks Dianne. Getting some great advice and reports from people who have been there before. I'm trying to think of what non perishables I should buy. I used to be able to eat just carbs and stuff, but I notice lately that I need plenty of protein. I guess tuna and peanut butter is a good place to start.. any suggestions?In addition to KCIndy's good suggestions above, and the ones you made here, people in N'awlins tend to load up on Pop-Tarts when a hurricane is coming. Go figure.

Here's another link with suggestions:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/220580-food-shopping-list-for-hurricane-preparation/

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-25-2012, 03:58 PM
Not sure, but a lot of people have the sense to prepare for a hurricane headed straight for them.

Sry, that was dumb. I meant to say....

Not sure, but a lot of people do not have the sense to prepare for a hurricane headed straight for them.

Feelgood
10-25-2012, 06:42 PM
I don't recall ever experiencing one so late.

Hurricane Wilma was much worse. This late in the year, they always hook hard right. When I went to sleep, it was barely a blip on the radar, way down south near Mexico, I believe. The very next morning when I woke up, it was a full blown category 5 storm headed right at me. It lost strength just before making landfall, thank God, but still came across as a Cat 2 storm. The eye passed directly over my head in West Palm Beach. First half of the storm wrecked one side of my house and roof, second half had the winds coming from the opposite direction, and finished the job. Huge mess, not one shingle left on my roof.

Horrible storm. It hit like the last week of October I believe.

kathy88
10-25-2012, 07:40 PM
Bump. How are you all faring?

asurfaholic
10-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Too much wind, I hear.

Well, you would be foolish to go out when the bands are near.. lol. No, you catch the waves while the storm is still waay out there. The wind pushes the waves for hundreds of miles, and you just watch the reports, and pick a beach that is facing the right direction. Driving 45 minutes can make a huge difference.

Day before hurricane, wrightsville beach http://wblivesurf.com/dailyphotos.asp?date=08/25/2011&page=9
Day before hurricane, emerald isle http://www.eilivesurf.com/dailyphotos.asp?date=08/25/2011&page=2
Day of hurricane, wrightsville beach http://wblivesurf.com/dailyphotos.asp?date=08/26/2011&page=4 (http://wblivesurf.com/dailyphotos.asp?date=08/26/2011&page=8)
Day of hurricane, emerald isle http://www.eilivesurf.com/dailyphotos.asp?date=08/26/2011&page=4

These beaches are just an hour or so away from each other, huge difference in size and power of the waves. Although, Irene was a tough cookie, because normally when the storm is running up the coast, the winds may not push the waves the right direction until the storm is right over you. Better waves happen when there is storm straight out, when that happens you can surf the bigger swell for days ahead of the storm.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-25-2012, 11:17 PM
These beaches are just an hour or so away from each other, huge difference in size and power of the waves.

haha. You sound excited. :)

cindy25
10-26-2012, 05:32 AM
could this effect the election? or even cause it to be cancelled in some states?

I could see this flipping PA if the Philly area can't vote, or has no power by election day. maybe even NY could be in play (upstate NY is Republican; no NYC and it could happen.

in PA the legislature could cancel the election, and award the electors?

moostraks
10-26-2012, 05:43 AM
Ehhh...we just got our first uh-oh from the local weather station. 81 degree record yesterday and this pib storm has a chance of giving us winds off of Lake Erie for wet lake effect snow. Boo hoo!!! We made sure to spend all day outside yesterday and am going to clean out the garden and mulch the berry patch this morning before rain hits tonight and we cool WAY down this next week.

Hope this storm ain't what they think it'll be for the coastal folks. Having grown up in Florida I have learned to not trust any weather report until it is quite clear it is coming ashore.

opal
10-26-2012, 06:04 AM
Cat 2? pishaw - we drive that fast - pulling an RV. *quotes Ron White* It's not so much THAT the wind's blowin' as it is WHAT the wind's blowin'

food.. water.. fuel for the generator and something to keep you from going stir crazy if you have no internet access..

presence
10-26-2012, 06:40 AM
It's not so much THAT the wind's blowin' as it is WHAT the wind's blowin'

Note the massive cold low pressure system, that just froze most of north Texas, now on the Mississippi Coast about to pick up a warm gulf water before merging with Sandy. It looks like a baseball bat about to strike a curve ball. The outer bands of both storms are just now beginning to merge.

WOW... Weather Underground's Wundermap. In the menu on the right, check out the US Forecast "Temperature" with 50% opacity; Zoom out over all of north America. Its like a night and day wave of low pressure cold weather about to collide with a huge mass of warm low pressure (sandy). Freakin neat.

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

libertygrl
10-26-2012, 06:45 AM
Bump. How are you all faring?

Here's the latest kathy88:

(CBS News) Hurricane Sandy is currently in the Bahamas and is now considered a a Category 1 storm, a weakened version of the storm since Thursday with winds at 80 miles per hour, David Bernard, chief meteorologist for CBS News Miami station CBS-4, reported on "CBS This Morning."

"The storm is going to leave the Bahamas tonight and it's going to parallel the East Coast for the next 24 to 48 hours," he said. "So by Sunday night, early Monday morning, it'll be roughly east of the outer banks of North Carolina, and then that infamous turn to the west is expected to occur sometime on Monday or Monday night."

But even in its weakened state, Bernard said Sandy is going to be "a very large storm." He explained, "An approach to the coastline like that, whether you're talking Chesapeake Bay or north towards Long Island coming in from the east, that's not a very good direction. It's a very unusual one. And one of the reasons for is it we have a big roadblock in the central Atlantic -- it's a big blocking high -- that's going to force the storm westward, then it's going to get caught up in this cold air. That's why we're talking about there could be factors with this storm that you might not normally see as the hurricane makes landfall and that could be the form of some winter-type activity."

Florida residents in some coastal areas are already under a tropical storm warning and the threat of storms has already forced some cities to cancel school for the day. Residents there, as the winds picked up speed and rain grew stronger, wasted no time preparing for Sandy's arrival, some filling sandbags that are intended to ward off flooding.

One resident said, "I think it's going to be a big one. I just hope it doesn't hit us too hard."

But Floridians aren't the only ones gearing up for what could become the storm of the season. With memories of last year's Hurricane Irene still fresh in everyone's mind, utility companies as far north as Connecticut are bracing for the worst.

Mitch Gross, of Connecticut Light and Power, said, "(We're) getting our resources ready, making sure our people are ready, getting everything in order."

In Maryland, batteries, generators, and radios flew off store shelves.

John Johnson, of Berlin, Md., said, "We are talking about five to six days possibility, so therefore you gotta sort of plan for that."

The planning isn't unfounded, based on Bernard's assessment on "CTM." He said the storm's wind field is growing. "(We expect) storm-force winds for a large part of the northeast and mid-Atlantic, then power outages as well, and there's a possibility of very heavy inland snows, especially in western Pennsylvania, some of the higher terrain there, into West Virginia, northern Virginia, maybe even the mountains of western Maryland could see heavy snows as a result of the tropical moisture coming in and winter cold wrapping in behind it."

It's planning that could also save lives. Hurricane Sandy is now blamed for at least 21 deaths across the Caribbean. In Cuba, nine people were killed as Sandy toppled houses, ripped off roofs, and flooded entire neighborhoods, making it the island's most deadly storm since 2005. In the Dominican Republic, flash flooding buried cars and trees under water. And in Jamaica, most of eastern part of the island remains without power and even with the storm gone, flash flooding remains a danger. A Jamaican reporter described the scene there this way: "The water is flowing heavily and it is going to get worse. Right now it is a clear and present danger."

Now faced with news of Sandy's destructive potential, those living in her path can only do their best as they prepare for the worst.

One Florida resident said, "Just last week, we talked about the fact that we hadn't had any hurricanes this year, and here we are."

Even though Florida is experiencing heavy winds and rain as a result of Sandy, the storm will actually skirt the East Coast of the state as it makes it was northward along the Eastern Seaboard.

© 2012 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

libertygrl
10-26-2012, 06:54 AM
[QUOTE=cindy25;4701780]could this effect the election? or even cause it to be cancelled in some states?

I could see this flipping PA if the Philly area can't vote, or has no power by election day. maybe even NY could be in play (upstate NY is Republican; no NYC and it could happen.

in PA the legislature could cancel the election, and award the electors?[/QUOTE

Experts: Team Obama Should Root for Hurricane Sandy to Interrupt Election

It's been called "snowicane" and "worse than the perfect storm," and it could knock out power in the mid-Atlantic through Election Day.

Hurricane Sandy hasn't even made it past the Bahamas yet, but Sandy, or any natural disaster around Election Day, could wreak extreme havoc on the election, experts say.

Political scientists have long studied the effects of rain and inclement weather on voter turnout and, not surprisingly, have found many people would rather stay at home than brave the weather. But more extreme storms or natural disasters that affect an entire state or region could turn a mild inconvenience into a huge mess.

That's because there are few federal election procedure laws, Robert Pastor, co-director of the Center for Democracy and Election Management says. Election process is generally left up to state or local governments, who Pastor says are "least capable of handling a statewide or regional disaster."

Most states have contingency plans in case a state of emergency is declared on Election Day. In Virginia, which could be hit hard by Sandy, Governor Bob McDonnell can postpone the election for up to 14 days, leading to all sorts of logistical issues.

If, for instance, the election came down to a late-voting Virginia "there'd probably be an outlandish intervention of Super PAC money as well as regular campaign spending," says John Hudak, a governance studies fellow at Brookings. "It would be quite the carnival . . . you'd have a very serious constitutional situation occurring."

It'd also represent a field day for lawyers. Congress has the power to formally protest Electoral College votes from states they feel are tainted, as long as one member from each house agrees to bring it to a vote. If a majority of both houses vote to reject the votes from a certain state, they are thrown out.

"If you have a situation where [a] state has delayed its voting and that one had an impact on the outcome, we'd see a movement to reconsider those votes," he says. For the sake of sanity, let's hope it doesn't happen."

In Hurricane Sandy's case, early predictions are suggesting the storm may make landfall during the early part of next week, so the initial impacts of the storm are likely to have subsided by Nov. 6. But if power remains out through Election Day, as some experts are predicting, there could be residual effects on the election.

Most, but not all states require backup paper ballots at polling stations that use electronic voting machines. Says Pastor: "If there is a region wide natural disaster that shuts down power, there's a high-probability that we will lose votes. In a close election, that'll ensure there will be serious electoral disputes."

Pastor says a natural disaster that impacts the election would "stretch the fabric of American Democracy to the point of being torn" because, in many cases, local disputes over voting "would be addressed in an area where one party is largely dominant and the rules are extremely weak."

So far, American elections have been fairly natural disaster-free. Hudak says there have been some "small scale issues" with blizzards in the upper plains and Rocky Mountain states in previous elections. With any luck, that streak will continue in 2012. But even if Sandy isn't catastrophic, inclement weather throughout the country could have a more predictable impact on the election.

According to a recent survey by the Weather Channel, 35 percent of undecided voters say bad weather will have a "moderate to significant" impact on whether they vote, compared to 27 percent of Democrats and 20 percent of Republicans.

Though those numbers appear to favor former governor Mitt Romney, Hudak says team Obama should be praying for rain.

"Obama has been effective at getting voters to vote early, so anything affecting turnout on Election Day is likely to be bad news for Romney," he says. Voting during a storm is also easier for urban voters—a group that overwhelmingly supports Obama—who often have a shorter distance to travel to polling sites than rural voters. "It would certainly set up a benefit to the president if a natural disaster did interrupt voting."

h ttp://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/10/25/experts-team-obama-should-root-for-hurricane-sandy-to-interrupt-election?page=2

donnay
10-26-2012, 08:04 AM
They are calling this storm-- "Frankenstorm." "The weather service gave the hybrid storm the "ghoulish nickname" Frankenstorm as "an allusion to Mary Shelley's Gothic creature of synthesized elements. (http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/26/us/tropical-weather-sandy/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3 A+Top+Stories%29)" Could it be they are calling it a 'Frankenstorm' because they are engineering it with all the tool they have to modify the weather?

Weather Modification a Long-Established, Though Secretive, Reality
http://pesn.com/2005/09/06/9600160_Weather_Modification/

Nirvikalpa
10-26-2012, 10:03 AM
This map AUTO UPDATES for the BEST ACCURACY:

http://icons.wunderground.com/data/images/at201218_model.gif

NHC Tropical Models

GFS
Global Forecast System
(formerly AVN or MRF) Dynamic This is the American model, formerly the MRF (Medium Range Forecast) or AVN model. It is run every 6 hours (0000, 0600, 1200, and 1800 UTC) and goes out to 16 days (384 hours).

GFDL
Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory Dynamic The GFDL is run every 6 hours (0000, 0600, 1200, and 1800 UTC) and forecasts out to 126 hours. It is only run when there is an active disturbance or named storm in the tropics. The GFDL model has a specialized method for initializing the center of the storm's circulation. The initial and boundary conditions are obtained form the GFS model. The GFDL model is most definitely one to consider when forecasting the path and intensity of a tropical cyclone. It was developed specifically to forecast hurricanes, and it generally does a fairly good job. In fact, the the GFDL model has been the best-performing model in 2003, 2004, and 2005.

HWRF
Hurricane-Weather Research and Forecasting Dynamic This is the model being designed to take the place of the GFDL in 2007. It has been undergoing extensive testing in 2004/2005 and will undergo final tests in 2006.

UKMET
United Kingdom METeorological office Dynamic The UKMET is the model of the United Kingdom METeorological office. It is run every 12 hours (0000 and 1200 UTC) and goes out to 120 hours.
While not developed as a tropical model, it is a good dynamic model, in general. Definitely worth a look when considering the future track of a tropical cyclone.

BAMS / BAMM / BAMD
Beta and Advection Models Trajectory The BAM follows a trajectory from the Aviation run of the American GFS model to provide a track forecast. This model incorporates a correction known as the "Beta Effect". This is used to account for the fact that the Coriolis force resulting from the rotation of the Earth is greater toward the poles, so the winds on the northern side of the storm in the Northern Hemisphere tropical cyclone are turned more than those on its southern side. If no other winds were steering a tropical cyclone, the "Beta Effect" would cause a westward-headed storm to drift toward the north in the Northern Hemisphere, and toward the south in the Southern Hemisphere. There are three (3) versions of the BAM...:

BAMM - the BAM Medium, this version averages winds from 10,000 to 24,500 feet (850 - 400 mb). The BAMM is best-used for tropical storms of weak to moderate strength or disorganized hurricanes. Tropical storms are generally steered by the mid-level steering flow.

Typically, the NHC will run the BAM models on a tropical disturbance just to get a general idea where this disturbance might track. Since the BAM is a very simple trajectory model, it is best used where the steering currents are less likely to change in the future. This would typically be in the deep tropics south of 20N latitude. Because the BAM models are not dynamic, they should be used with extreme caution outside of the deep tropics where steering currents may change with time.

Not liking where GFS, UKMET and BAMM have projected this to go. Can't get any info on "NAM" model, but it has it projecting to hug the coast and not make landfall until its very weak.

Lucille
10-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Meet Sandy: Single Furious Hurricane Seeking GDP-Boosting Landfall
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-10-26/meet-sandy-single-furious-hurricane-seeking-gdp-boosting-landfall

"What's different about Hurricane Sandy and why should we be afraid?" is the anxious question that Bloombergs' Tom Keene poses in the clip below. The answer - it's the size! The wind-field is considerably larger than normal with tropical storm strength winds (as the chart below indicates) extending over a very large area. As we warned yesterday, the storm surge in low-lying areas is the most threatening and the clarity of the problem is highlighted by the graphic below as Sandy approaches the Atlantic coast Monday or Tuesday. With the Atlantic unusually warm (meaning more fuel for the hurricane) and the new moon, the title of the Bloomberg clip says it all: "This is how scared you should be of Hurricane Sandy".
[vid at the link]
http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user3303/imageroot/2012/10-2/20121026_storm1_0.png

HOLLYWOOD
10-26-2012, 11:25 AM
http://eoimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/imagerecords/54000/54734/gulf_stream_modis.gif

NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide (CWTG):

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/satl_tmap.html
:

libertygrl
10-26-2012, 12:25 PM
They are calling this storm-- "Frankenstorm." "The weather service gave the hybrid storm the "ghoulish nickname" Frankenstorm as "an allusion to Mary Shelley's Gothic creature of synthesized elements. (http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/26/us/tropical-weather-sandy/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3 A+Top+Stories%29)" Could it be they are calling it a 'Frankenstorm' because they are engineering it with all the tool they have to modify the weather?

Weather Modification a Long-Established, Though Secretive, Reality
http://pesn.com/2005/09/06/9600160_Weather_Modification/

It's funny you should mention that. I try not to always be suspicious of things and deem everything a potential conspiracy but with the election coming up and having a severe hurricane supposedly also heading toward 2 or 3 swing states.... it does make you wonder when you know they have the capabilities. I was reading something yesterday how in the 60's they had the ability to actually weaken a hurricane so that it could lessen the damages below. But then the military got its hands on it and decided to use it for its "own" purposes.

Former Naval Physicist: Government Can Control Hurricanes
Former Vet "Made it Rain" During Vietnam War
Steve Watson & Paul Joseph Watson | 14 Oct 2005

Alex Jones was joined on air yesterday by weather modification expert Ben Livingston.
Livingston discussed in detail proven evidence of hurricane control and his research and experiences with cloud seeding and weather weapons used in the Vietnam war.

Many scoff at the possibility of weather control and simply refuse to believe it exists. Attempting to even engage such people in conversation on the subject is fruitless because their mind is set. Yet the reality is that weather modification has been in operation and continual development since the 1960s. Livingston, now 77, has a master's degree in cloud physics from the Naval Weapons Center and Navy Post Graduate School in California, a degree he later used in the battlefields.

According to a recent report "He seeded clouds and dramatically increased rainfall in his theater of war, creating impassably muddy roads, slowin down the Vietnamese and Korean troops, and saving lives and entire towns from occupation."Livingston was even invited to the White House where he briefed President Lyndon B. Johnson on the effectiveness of weather control activities. Livingston asserts that hurricane control was a national priority of the government in the 60s and they had the ability to do it at that time. That was 40 years ago.

He now works with scientists and pilots at Weather Modification Inc., in Fargo, N.D. His research of hurricane control has been confirmed by the Stanford Research Institute.He has personally flown on 265 missions into the eyes of hurricanes and has gone on record as "most disgusted" with Hurricane Katrina because he knows that the storm itself could have been minimized.

Livingston revealed that to reduce or redirect a category 4 hurricane would not be that difficult:

"A hurricane is made up of energy sails and each of those sails adds to the ferocity of it. It was proven in 1974 by an international project that these energy sails exist and that they are the reason that hurricanes can develop and grow move and cause damages. So there's no reason to attack the hurricane in total but just to fly in to the right front quadrant primarily relative to the direction the storm is moving in and seed those energy sails that are converging and making the rain and wind velocity increase in the front part of a hurricane." Livingston asserted.

He went on to explain exactly how to minimize and control the hurricane:

" We would be trying to destroy or at least grossly reduce the velocity in these individual energy sails by seeding the clouds with silver iodide in the top part of the cloud... and those tops would then have so many small droplets in them that the prevailing wind just blows them away and so an energy sail would be neutralized until it can regroup which may be several hours later."

The seeding process may sound complicated but it is not at all. There would be no need for more than two small aircraft at a time to safely fly upwards into the hurricane.

"We're carrying more cloud seeding material on one airplane now, over 800% more on each plane than we had during Project Storm Fury" (The project set up by the US Government to discover how to control hurricanes in the 60s). Livingston added.

Alex put the question to Livingston, if it is so simple to do and the government knows how to do it and has been doing it since the 60s then why did they not attempt to minimize hurricane Katrina?

"This is a long story with a deep history. Back in the mid 50s, 1954 or so, the government allotted the first amount of money for weather modification and weather control practices to the US weather Bureau to the tune of about 30 million dollars." Livingston said.

"Their charge was to employ the most brilliant scientists around the world, and meteorologists and physicists, to work out a concept for reducing damages from hurricanes. What brought that on was that we had three tremendous hurricanes in 1953 and '54 that affected the twelve northeastern states... Basically The National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) was formed to take that responsibility." He went on to say.

Mr Livingston went on to describe how Project "Storm Fury" of which he was a national director was then set up in the mid 60s. Much of the research was carried out on hurricanes in the Atlantic at that time.

Project Storm Fury was shut down on the logic that the data was not good enough to use in statistical studies. Many believe that the research then became part of a black operation on weather modification.

Upon recently writing to verify what the national policy is on hurricane research, Livingston received the following response:

"The approach of NOAA with regard to minimizing the impact of hurricanes on US citizens is to improve our forecast on the tracking and intensity of storms and to better warn those in harm's way. It is no longer the policy of NOAA to support or conduct weather modification research."

So there is effectively no official government budget for weather modification of any kind. This would not however prevent the hiring of private companies such as Weather Modification, Inc. to carry out the relatively simple work for around $25 million for the hurricane season. This is a small amount when considering the billions spent on rebuilding and clearing up after hurricanes.

"The situation is as I see it that the Federal Government and NOAA have a tremendous job to do and they're doing a tremendous job. But their interest is in statistical data...where as people who are concerned about hurricane damages are interested more in results or empirical data." Livingston added.

Dr Livingston went on to read a statement from the Stanford research Institute who were brought into Project Storm Fury in the late sixties as a third party, which stated conclusively that knowledge of how to stop hurricanes had been uncovered and that they would be directly liable should a hurricane hit and cause extensive damage and loss of life.

Livingston revealed that on the 18th August 1969, five seedings at two hour intervals on Hurricane Debbie, researchers deduced that the wind speed had decreased from 115mph to 80 mph. That is a 30% reduction and a 45% reduction in damages. On August 20th a second seeding decreased the wind speed again to just under 100 mph, a reduction of around 15%. Some scientists involved wanted more research and to uncover clearer patterns so they brought in Stanford as a third party, who determined that more seeding should be done for damage reduction.

Of course, during the Vietnam war the goal for Livingston and his colleagues was to actually strengthen adverse weather, to inflate and exacerbate the monsoon season in order that the Vietnamese get bogged down. So not only is prevention possible, but also creation of harsh weather conditions.

Dr Livingston was assigned in 1966 from the Naval weapons research Laboratory to a marine fighter squadron in Vietnam. Instead of guns, the aircraft under Livingston's control were fitted with cloud seeding equipment.

"My mission was to find clouds and seed them for maximum precipitation value" he commented.

Cloud seeding is the process of spreading either dry ice (or more commonly, silver iodide aerosols) into the upper part of clouds to try to stimulate the precipitation process and form rain. Since most rainfall starts through the growth of ice crystals from super-cooled cloud droplets (droplets colder than the freezing point, 32 deg. F) in the upper parts of clouds, the silver iodide particles are meant to encourage the growth of new ice particles.

Alex went on to ask Dr Livingston whether it was dangerous flying into hurricanes, and whether that was a factor that could have prevented operations going ahead.

"A good part of the time you're out in the most beautiful VFR weather you've ever seen. If it's night you can see the stars, the moon, if it's daytime the sun or whatever. So you can not only see what you're going to seed, you can analyze it on your radar... generally speaking its not very hazardous flying." Livingston answered.

Dr Livingston puts beyond doubt the reality of weather modification. His take on Hurricane Katrina is that it was not prevented for political reasons.

h ttp://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/october2005/141005weather_modification.htm

AT 6:00 min. in, Dr. Livingston talks about how hurricane reduction was a political football. Some wanted it, others didn't.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8Zk6CyNL9o

libertygrl
10-26-2012, 12:31 PM
http://eoimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/imagerecords/54000/54734/gulf_stream_modis.gif

NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide (CWTG):

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/satl_tmap.html
:

Oh crap. Large wind shield. High tides (NY) and warm water as well??? :(

libertygrl
10-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Has anyone gone to the stores yet to buy your supplies??

I took off a little earlier today to start my shopping. Before I left I printed out several lists of items to get from the Red Cross website. Having to shop like this is really daunting. Plus I really can't afford to do this all at once. Serves me right I guess for procrastinating about building up an emergency stash over the months. It's really hard when you're on a tight budget.

Today I bought:

6 cans of Campbells natural soups
4 cans of Valley Fresh100% natural chicken breasts
2 boxes chocolate chip Z-bars
1 box crackers
2- mini chips ahoy cups
1- Almond butter
1- Caponata spread
2- Pkgs Apple sauce cups
1-box cereal
2 packages 24 count bottled water.
2- loaves of bread

I know this is not nearly enough. The prices were getting to me. I'm looking at everything on my table right now and I can't believe this little amount cost me $95!

I did a quick stop into a K-Mart for batteries. I figured I better get them while I can still find them. It was relatively quiet in NY today. I saw some people stocking up but not many. The stores were already displaying flashlights, water and batteries. I expect the weekend to get much more chaotic.

I've still got so much on my list. As far as cooking, anyone have some portable camping stoves you can recommend that are safe? Someone told me I should just buy some sterno kits as they would be cheaper. Any thoughts?

I've also started freezing more ice. Lots to do!

Acala
10-26-2012, 02:26 PM
I've still got so much on my list. As far as cooking, anyone have some portable camping stoves you can recommend that are safe? Someone told me I should just buy some sterno kits as they would be cheaper. Any thoughts?

I've owned one of these for a long time and like it a lot:

http://www.majorsurplus.com/The-Grasshopper-Single-Burner-Stove-P15895.aspx

presence
10-26-2012, 02:26 PM
As far as cooking, anyone have some portable camping stoves you can recommend that are safe? Someone told me I should just buy some sterno kits as they would be cheaper. Any thoughts?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0c/Rocket_stove.png/513px-Rocket_stove.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobo_stove
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_stove

As far as flashlights, I keep solar trail marker lights on my southern windowsills. They come on every night; storm or no storm; $2 each.

libertygrl
10-26-2012, 03:19 PM
I've owned one of these for a long time and like it a lot:

http://www.majorsurplus.com/The-Grasshopper-Single-Burner-Stove-P15895.aspx

Wow, those stoves are so much cheaper than what I saw in k-mart today. Good website for supplies. Unfortunately, it's too late to order from them.

libertygrl
10-26-2012, 03:24 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0c/Rocket_stove.png/513px-Rocket_stove.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobo_stove
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_stove

As far as flashlights, I keep solar trail marker lights on my southern windowsills. They come on every night; storm or no storm; $2 each.

That looks pretty cool! But I don't think I trust myself to put something together like that. I'm afraid I'll set the house on fire! LOL. The massive rains and flooding could actually come in handy then. :p

angelatc
10-26-2012, 03:29 PM
If you're staying at home, a BBQ grill, charcoal and lighter fluid and you're good to go. Unless I'm not thinking of something important, it seems to me that after the storm passes, you can cook outside. And you're probably not going to cook much during the storm.

Acala
10-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Wow, those stoves are so much cheaper than what I saw in k-mart today. Good website for supplies. Unfortunately, it's too late to order from them.

You might find one at one of the camping warehouse type stores. I don't know what's around you.

Acala
10-26-2012, 03:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5uVIlUazg4

opal
10-26-2012, 04:00 PM
um.. candles and matches or hurricane lamps
you don't want to use your batteries full time for light

hand held can opener

along with ice, depending on your forcast temps (It's always hot down here in Florida after a hurricane) freeze some damp wash cloths in baggies also. Nothing like a nice cool wipe down when there's no AC.

Thermos (plural) We have always made several thermos' full of coffee before the storm - because sometimes ya need coffee to think enough to make coffee.

make sure fire arms and ammo are in sure to stay dry areas (important papers too - like insurance policies)

food in jars is good too.. resealable more than cans.

libertygrl
10-26-2012, 04:01 PM
You might find one at one of the camping warehouse type stores. I don't know what's around you.

Thanks, I'll have to check that out. But I also just found this Sterno Emergency Kit. it. It's at Walmart:

Sterno Emergency Preparedness Kit

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/02/73/71/60/0002737160001_500X500.jpg

h ttp://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterno-Emergency-Preparedness-Kit/15392346

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
10-26-2012, 04:03 PM

Lucky for who? A storm going to DC would pass right over my house. Three tracking models so far show the storm moving right on top of me.

libertygrl
10-26-2012, 04:03 PM
If you're staying at home, a BBQ grill, charcoal and lighter fluid and you're good to go. Unless I'm not thinking of something important, it seems to me that after the storm passes, you can cook outside. And you're probably not going to cook much during the storm.

Probably better after the storm. As long as I'm not underwater by then! :eek:

angelatc
10-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Yes, candles for sure. Dollar store!

libertygrl
10-26-2012, 04:07 PM

I just heard a spokesperson from PSEG in NJ, recommend NOT to use candles. I guess they are concerned of the potential for fire and that would be another added burden on emergency crews. I actually have used a combination of both over the years.

opal
10-26-2012, 04:26 PM
fucking nanny state.. no candles? people have been using candles FOREVER. If you can't use a candle and not burn down your house.. it's not the candle that's the problem

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
10-26-2012, 04:28 PM
fucking nanny state.. no candles? people have been using candles FOREVER. If you can't use a candle and not burn down your house.. it's not the candle that's the problem

+rep

S.Shorland
10-26-2012, 04:29 PM

phill4paul
10-26-2012, 04:34 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/269432_461252007250792_531193847_n.jpg

libertygrl
10-26-2012, 04:40 PM
fucking nanny state.. no candles? people have been using candles FOREVER. If you can't use a candle and not burn down your house.. it's not the candle that's the problem Oh relax. It was a recommendation. It wasn't mandatory. LOL.

libertygrl
10-26-2012, 04:42 PM

hand held can opener

along with ice, depending on your forcast temps (It's always hot down here in Florida after a hurricane) freeze some damp wash cloths in baggies also. Nothing like a nice cool wipe down when there's no AC.

Thermos (plural) We have always made several thermos' full of coffee before the storm - because sometimes ya need coffee to think enough to make coffee.

make sure fire arms and ammo are in sure to stay dry areas (important papers too - like insurance policies)

food in jars is good too.. resealable more than cans.

Several thermos' with coffee - great idea!

libertygrl
10-26-2012, 05:14 PM
I never heard of the great Hurricane of 1938, have you guys? Some reports are comparing it with the potential for this one. Actress Katharine Hepburn's Conn. house was destroyed by it.

Not trying to scare people! :p You have to remember, this was before they could forecast these storms in advance. At least we can prepare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn9raxPP4XA&feature=related

angelatc
10-26-2012, 05:33 PM
I just heard a spokesperson from PSEG in NJ, recommend NOT to use candles. I guess they are concerned of the potential for fire and that would be another added burden on emergency crews. I actually have used a combination of both over the years.

NM - Opal said it perfectly.

specialkornflake
10-26-2012, 06:08 PM
As far as cooking, anyone have some portable camping stoves you can recommend that are safe? Someone told me I should just buy some sterno kits as they would be cheaper. Any thoughts?

I just got finished hiking the Appalachian Trail, so in terms of what hikers are using these are suggestions-
Alcohol stoves are a lightweight and cheap option and are relatively flexible on what fuels they can use, but take some time to cook things and are a little more work.
MSR Pocketrocket is a good option, more expensive, faster, reliable, but requires fuel canisters. More expensive than the first. This was probably most common on the trail and I had one.
Jetboil is a similar version to the MSR Pocketrocket, faster at cooking but not quite as flexible.

presence
10-26-2012, 06:10 PM
That looks pretty cool! But I don't think I trust myself to put something together like that. I'm afraid I'll set the house on fire!

How to Make a Brick Rocket Stove for $6.08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qoyBVKC0nI&feature=related

If you use good firebrick it might cost $30. You can do this.

Nirvikalpa
10-27-2012, 06:46 AM
It looks like Sandy is heading straight for me :( They're projecting the worse storm surge/floods will be around the NYC/NJ metro area (with the hurricane coming ashore south of that).

opal
10-27-2012, 08:32 AM
I found a kinda cool trackng map
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201218_radar.html

Lucille
10-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Hurricane Sandy Update
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-10-27/hurricane-sandy-update

Still unsure if to laugh off Sandy, memories of the overblown New York City panic over Irene still fresh, or if to sandbag the basement and first two floors of your house? Here is the latest on the storm courtesy of Jeff Masters' Wunderground blog, which at last check had the following characteristics: Wind: 75 MPH — Location: 29.0N -76.0W — Movement: NNE. In other words, slowly but surely approaching New York, with landfall still expected sometime Tuesday morning. One thing is certain: there will be at least some "boost" to Q4 GDP as a result of the quite a few broken windows, even as all domestic companies line up to blame Sandy for continuing to miss the top line and increasingly, their EPS numbers, some time in January.

Lots more at the link.

More than a Dozen Nuclear Plants Near Hurricane Sandy’s Path Brace for Impact
http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2012-10-26/more-dozen-nuclear-plants-near-hurricane-sandy%E2%80%99s-path-brace-impactcc

Bloomberg reports:

“Because of the size of [Hurricane Sandy], we could see an impact to coastal and inland plants,” Neil Sheehan, a spokesman based in Philadelphia for the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, said by phone today. “We will station inspectors at the sites if we know they could be directly impacted.”

The NRC met earlier today to discuss the necessary precautions to take for the storm, Sheehan said. Plants must begin to shut if wind speeds exceed certain limits, he said.

As of 2 p.m. New York time, Sandy had winds of 75 miles (121 kilometers) per hour, according to the National Hurricane Center in Miami. It was about 430 miles south-southeast of Charleston, South Carolina, moving north at 7 mph.

The current Hurricane Center track calls for the system to come ashore just south of Delaware Bay on Oct. 30.

MikeStanart
10-27-2012, 12:30 PM
The perfect storm to have the elections delayed. Might be Barry's wet-dream.

brandon
10-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Here's a cool map. Looks like it's coming right at Philly!

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hurricanes/hurricane-sandy-superstorm-20121027

S.Shorland
10-27-2012, 04:31 PM
It's sunday tomorrow.most of the churches will be praying about this i imagine so if you haven't been for a while,I would join them.

KCIndy
10-27-2012, 04:39 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/269432_461252007250792_531193847_n.jpg

I'm in the "Hit the Liquor Store" area! HOORAY!!! :D

BamaAla
10-27-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm in the "Hit the Liquor Store" area! HOORAY!!! :D

I'm glad for you, but I can't afford a boat! Ahhh

PursuePeace
10-27-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm totally screwed.

FrancisMarion
10-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Get ready for torrential drizzle.

MelissaCato
10-28-2012, 12:48 AM
I'm in the "Hit the Liquor Store" area! HOORAY!!! :DYAY Me too !!

tangent4ronpaul
10-28-2012, 01:14 AM
The perfect storm to have the elections delayed. Might be Barry's wet-dream.

Or his worst nightmare. Remember Katrina? If FEMA screws up as badly, guess who the public is going to blame...

-t

devil21
10-28-2012, 01:35 AM
An earthquake off western Canada overnight is adding some west coast drama for the weekend. Hawaii under a 10 foot tsunami warning.

tangent4ronpaul
10-28-2012, 01:57 AM
The weather channel just said:

"Never hesitate to be a "prepper". That is someone that makes preparations. Don't wait to go down to the store at the last minute, because all the supplies will have been swept up by "preppers".

I guess DHS overlooked them. Aren't "preppers" terrorists? lol!

-t

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
10-28-2012, 05:37 AM
Raining steady here with heavy rain at times. Winds have slowly picked up in the last few hours.

kathy88
10-28-2012, 06:20 AM
Oh for crying out loud. I'm in the 2 feet of snow area.

Danke
10-28-2012, 06:29 AM
Oh for crying out loud. I'm in the 2 feet of snow area.

Well, at least it ain't 2 feet of water.

libertygrl
10-28-2012, 07:31 AM
It's cloudy here in NY. The wind is picking up a bit, but the storm gusts will kick in later on tonight. I'm told to expect the actual storm to hit Monday night into Tuesday. Getting more concerned about the coastal flooding. They say hurricanes ususally pass quickly, but because there's a cold front heading East, it's draging the the storm toward us rather allowing it to be on it's way. So we could have sustained winds 75-80 mph longer than we would normally have. On top of this is the high tides on Mon. We could have 7-10 days without electricy. I know I don't have nearly enough food. Well, ready to go out again for a few last items. Hope every one stays safe. I'll try to check back later.

tangent4ronpaul
10-28-2012, 07:44 AM
It's cloudy here in NY. The wind is picking up a bit, but the storm gusts will kick in later on tonight. I'm told to expect the actual storm to hit Monday night into Tuesday. Getting more concerned about the coastal flooding. They say hurricanes ususally pass quickly, but because there's a cold front heading East, it's draging the the storm toward us rather allowing it to be on it's way. So we could have sustained winds 75-80 mph longer than we would normally have. On top of this is the high tides on Mon. We could have 7-10 days without electricy. I know I don't have nearly enough food. Well, ready to go out again for a few last items. Hope every one stays safe. I'll try to check back later.

This storm is going to sit on us for a while. It's going to be ugly! The weather channel is describing it as the "storm of a lifetime". This one is going to be BAD!

Get food, get candles - lots of both! Wash warm clothing and blankets/quilts. Dress in layers and hopefully have a warm body to share heat with - including pets.

This is not going to be pretty and it's going to stay around a while.

-t

specialkornflake
10-28-2012, 08:18 AM
The minimum central pressure has dropped to 951 mb according to the 11am advisory. I think it would be interesting to list the reasons this storm could be bad:

1. The moon is full on Monday meaning higher regular tides.

2. Many trees are still in leaf so they are easier to blow over or weigh down with snow/ice.

3. The storm can feed off of unusually warm ocean waters and wind shear has decreased.

4. Yet, the storm doesn't need to because it is pulling energy from the nearby cold-front.

5. The storm is the largest hurricane/tropical storm since records began in 1988. (one sub-tropical storm was larger)

6. Storm surge, rain, flooding, heavy wet snow, and high winds will affect a huge area of high population, causing widespread power outages and transportation problems.

7. After the storm it will turn cold.

8. The way this storm is approaching land has a high likelihood of significantly impacting New York City. (over-topping flood walls and flooding subway)

9. The storm is slower than many hurricanes and has a greater chance of hitting during high tide.

robert9712000
10-28-2012, 08:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-28-2012, 09:08 AM
The weather channel just said:

"Never hesitate to be a "prepper". That is someone that makes preparations. Don't wait to go down to the store at the last minute, because all the supplies will have been swept up by "preppers".

Real preppers don't need to go to the store at all.

Nirvikalpa
10-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Not looking good for the east coast of NJ by the NY area, or the NYC area. We're in a 10-12ft surge area. Metro is closing (NYC MTA closing at 7PM tonight, NJ Transit to follow), except for a few buses that they're hoping people will utilize to get out of their area.

jonhowe
10-28-2012, 09:19 AM
I live in NYC, walking distance to work. I may be the only one showing up tomorrow...

presence
10-28-2012, 10:23 AM
dp

presence
10-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Sandy's tropical storm-force winds extended northeastwards 520 miles from the center,
and twelve-foot high seas covered a diameter of ocean 1,030 miles across.
Since records of storm size began in 1988, (http://classic.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/<a) no tropical storm or hurricane has been larger

http://classic.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/

Also, I want to point you to a thread I've started on "haarpstatus.com", please stop in and let me know your thoughts.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?393778-Haarpstatus.com-Sandy

brandon
10-28-2012, 10:43 AM
It's starting to look really ominous in southeast PA. It's heavily overcast like I haven't seen in a long time. We're all hoping this thing is bad enough that it gets us out of work at least one day.

MelissaCato
10-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Nice breezes started about a hour ago here in Lebanon Pa. YeeeHawww

MozoVote
10-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Someone pointed out on the Wunderground blog that there are tropical storm force winds in both the North Carolina coast and Bermuda at the same time, from the same system.

Storms like this are what the word "unprecedented" really applies to.

Nirvikalpa
10-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Pictures coming out from the Outer Banks of NC (and Hatteras Island):

Jeanette's Pier in Nags Head, NC:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/c67.0.403.403/p403x403/374913_10151076543446601_1865940879_n.jpg

Outer Banks Motel (http://www.outerbanksmotel.com/) (Buxton, NC):

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/c197.0.403.403/p403x403/69789_4250391692424_700070903_n.jpg

We have around 6ft of water under our house in Avon, NC but we're holding up so far. Now to see how our permanent house in NJ fares...

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Pictures coming out from the Outer Banks of NC (and Hatteras Island):

Jeanette's Pier in Nags Head, NC:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/c67.0.403.403/p403x403/374913_10151076543446601_1865940879_n.jpg

Ummm. I'd be finding someplace else to stand.

For those of you starting to feel the wind from this, I hear ya. There's something spooky about watching a hurricane coming toward you. I'd imagine basements would be quite useful. In FL, you will almost never see basements because the water table is too high. So, it's either, stay or leave. I would happily hang out in a basement while a hurricane goes through if you have that option.

And if you have an opportunity to go outside while the eye goes over you, I would do it. It's quiet, peaceful, and interesting until the wind starts flowing in the opposite direction.

Todd
10-28-2012, 12:43 PM
http://www.visitob.com/webcams/sea-ranch-kill-devil-hills/

libertygrl
10-28-2012, 12:44 PM
http://classic.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/

Also, I want to point you to a thread I've started on "haarpstatus.com", please stop in and let me know your thoughts.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?393778-Haarpstatus.com-Sandy

Wow, that haarpstatus was pretty wild. Scary but wild. But who placed all those sensors around to detect HAARP??

I just turned to the Discovery channel & they had a show on called America's Most Secret Structures. They were discussing Military Weather Modification, hurricanes and HAARP. Just a coincidence, right??? :rolleyes:

mad cow
10-28-2012, 12:58 PM
The National Data Buoy Center has nice informative sites for individual weather buoys.Click on the triangles in the columns to get a time chart of that data point.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44009
Mouth of Delaware Bay.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44025

Southeast of New York Harbor.

There are many others.All wind speeds are in knots.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/conversioncalculators/speed_knots_to_miles_per_hour.asp
Knots/MPH calculator

Nirvikalpa
10-28-2012, 01:00 PM
http://obxcams.com/

libertygrl
10-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Just an update of my area in S. Eastern NY. Compared to yesterday, many more people were out on the road today. I think many were last minute preppers. I started getting supplies and organizing things on Friday.

There were long car lines at several gas stations. Some stores had their windows boarded up. I've never seen that here before. The bread aisle at Stop & Shop was completely wiped out. Same thing for canned soups. The egg shelves were almost empty as well. It's beginning to get scary. Outside, the tide levels already look high. It's 3:00 est. Winds picking up even stronger now and the temperature feels like it's dropping. I'm starting to feel cold. The weird thing is my neighborhood is so quite. Too quite. People are home, but I've made several trips to stores prepping since Friday, and I haven't seen anyone bringing home bags of goods.... unless they're all preppers already??

I agree with the other posters. This doesn't look good. I'm really worried now. It'll be difficult without electricity, but I'll take that over my house being flooded or windows being shattered by the wind. Does anyone know how many mph would it take to crash in a window? Sigh.... still lots to do. My head is spinning in all directions. Looks like we now have a mandatory evacuation for tomorrow. Ugh.... this sucks. Good luck guys. I'll be checking in from time to time as along as I still have power.

tod evans
10-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Does anyone know how many mph would it take to crash in a window?

Even late 18th century single pane sashes easily withstand 40+mph winds but very few residential sashes can withstand airborne projectiles moving as slowly as 5-10 mph.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Just an update of my area in S. Eastern NY. Compared to yesterday, many more people were out on the road today. I think many were last minute preppers. I started getting supplies and organizing things on Friday.

There were long car lines at several gas stations. Some stores had their windows boarded up. I've never seen that here before. The bread aisle at Stop & Shop was completely wiped out. Same thing for canned soups. The egg shelves were almost empty as well. It's beginning to get scary.

That is why I said preppers don't need to go to the store. In any disaster, those stores will empty fast. It will happen from buying or stealing, but they will become empty one way or another.

CrissyNY
10-28-2012, 01:15 PM

There were long car lines at several gas stations. Some stores had their windows boarded up. I've never seen that here before. The bread aisle at Stop & Shop was completely wiped out. Same thing for canned soups. The egg shelves were almost empty as well. It's beginning to get scary. Outside, the tide levels already look high. It's 3:00 est. Winds picking up even stronger now and the temperature feels like it's dropping. I'm starting to feel cold. The weird thing is my neighborhood is so quite. Too quite. People are home, but I've made several trips to stores prepping since Friday, and I haven't seen anyone bringing home bags of goods.... unless they're all preppers already??

I agree with the other posters. This doesn't look good. I'm really worried now. It'll be difficult without electricity, but I'll take that over my house being flooded or windows being shattered by the wind. Does anyone know how many mph would it take to crash in a window? Sigh.... still lots to do. My head is spinning in all directions. Looks like we now have a mandatory evacuation for tomorrow. Ugh.... this sucks. Good luck guys. I'll be checking in from time to time as along as I still have power.

Sounds very eerie; glad you are prepared though.

I am worried too, my dad is in south Nassau and he is getting everything off the ground in his warehouse. Last year during Irene there was 3 feet of water in there, and this is supposed to be worse.

I will be praying for him and for everyone out there!

MozoVote
10-28-2012, 01:34 PM
http://www.pictureshack.us/images/34062_SuperSandy20121030.gif

Nice image series of Sandy's forecast track. What a huge storm... even Michigan and Wisconsin could see rain from this.

libertygrl
10-28-2012, 01:50 PM
That is why I said preppers don't need to go to the store. In any disaster, those stores will empty fast. It will happen from buying or stealing, but they will become empty one way or another.

Yeah, I think we heard you the first time. Sorry, I don't mean to be snarky, but that's not really helpful right now for those of us struggling at the moment. Not everyone can afford to be prepping. I did start it at one time, but I just couldn't continue.

brandon
10-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Anyone have any good ideas for some good hurricane comfort food that I can make tonight?

libertygrl
10-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Sounds very eerie; glad you are prepared though.

I am worried too, my dad is in south Nassau and he is getting everything off the ground in his warehouse. Last year during Irene there was 3 feet of water in there, and this is supposed to be worse.

I will be praying for him and for everyone out there!

Thanks Chrissy NY. Same to you & your dad as well. Sounds like he's doing everything he can.

MozoVote
10-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Getting closer. Wow, that storm is huge.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/10/28/1351436125899/Hurricane-Sandy-satellite-005.jpg

kathy88
10-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Getting closer. Wow, that storm is huge.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/10/28/1351436125899/Hurricane-Sandy-satellite-005.jpg

DAMN

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
10-28-2012, 02:47 PM
Wal-Mart and other big box retailers in my area are packed. Yesterday, the Wal-Mart nearest me in DE was so packed that people were parking out on the side of the highway and walking into their lot.

MozoVote
10-28-2012, 03:04 PM
The recurvature towards the north is beginning.

http://synoptic.envsci.rutgers.edu/site/imgs/vis_east_anim.gif

tangent4ronpaul
10-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Wal-Mart and other big box retailers in my area are packed. Yesterday, the Wal-Mart nearest me in DE was so packed that people were parking out on the side of the highway and walking into their lot.

You need to shop at different times. Midnight, 6am... DEAD! Except we got stuck behind some guy that looked like he was buying for 2 months at one place. Main problem was places being sold out of stuff. Varied.

-t

malkusm
10-28-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm in Brooklyn about half a block from "Zone A" which the mayor ordered an evacuation of. I'm in a first-floor apt, so kind of nervous about the potential storm surge....but riding it out here nonetheless. I estimate something like 6.5-8 feet of vertical water rise would need to happen to get to floor level of my apt.

Here are some "before" pics from my neighborhood, I plan on taking some "after" pics in the same locations if I am able to get out and do so.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/63117_10101276402965083_613320396_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/229965_10101276403299413_1609978073_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/531027_10101276403623763_340716412_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/418083_10101276403923163_1475765947_n.jpg

AuH20
10-28-2012, 03:36 PM
Nassau County already started their mandatory evacs on the South Shore. It's going to be a lootfest. Idiots.

libertygrl
10-28-2012, 03:50 PM
I was just helping my dad clean out the gutters and a fire truck is going around saying mandatory evacuations at 6am tomorrow! Geez... I thought we had more time than that. I heard the storm gets worse Mon. night. I was going to leave in the afternoon but now I'm scrambling to get things all done tonight! :mad:

Nirvikalpa
10-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Just want to also kindly remind everyone/make everyone aware of the fact many EMS agencies are receiving word to NOT go out on emergency calls if the wind speeds are over 40mph, unless it is a critical medical emergency (heart attack, stroke, etc).

Tinnuhana
10-28-2012, 03:53 PM
This is sub category 1, right? So the damage will be fro the surge and snow. Sand bag over the little windows to the basement, make sure the runoo drains are free of debris.
Watch where the storm is and if you get horizontal rain, open the windows on the side away from the rain to eequalize air pressure. Check the tide charts to see when the high tides are.

sailingaway
10-28-2012, 04:01 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/178901_521555951196613_11006723_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1989809&l=a728439660&id=209960642356147

MelissaWV
10-28-2012, 04:03 PM
This is sub category 1, right? So the damage will be fro the surge and snow. Sand bag over the little windows to the basement, make sure the runoo drains are free of debris.
Watch where the storm is and if you get horizontal rain, open the windows on the side away from the rain to eequalize air pressure. Check the tide charts to see when the high tides are.

There will still be wind damage due to the squeeze between the storm and the front coming, but yes, the big problem is the flooding.

Dick Chaney
10-28-2012, 04:13 PM
HAARP.

- Dick Chaney

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Yeah, I think we heard you the first time. Sorry, I don't mean to be snarky, but that's not really helpful right now for those of us struggling at the moment. Not everyone can afford to be prepping. I did start it at one time, but I just couldn't continue.

It's helpful if you want it to be. I'm not flogging anyone. 50 pounds of beans and 50 pounds of rice will go a long way. If it bothers you that I repeat such things, I hope it helps 2 other people plan ahead. You can be snarky... I can hack it... If I get some other people thinking ahead of time, your dislike of that will roll off my back. We aren't the only people here. (and I've walked outside in the eye of several hurricanes, so I'm not just making shit up.)

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
10-28-2012, 04:26 PM
You need to shop at different times. Midnight, 6am... DEAD! Except we got stuck behind some guy that looked like he was buying for 2 months at one place. Main problem was places being sold out of stuff. Varied.

-t

I rarely ever shop at a big box store and yesterday was no exception. I was just passing by on the highway and saw it. When I shop for anything from a big box retailer I generally like to shop in the middle of the night or near closing time for non 24 hour stores.

I have virtually everything I need and had it ahead of time. Flashlights, easily prepared foods, batteries, radio, candles, generator, gas in a 4 wheel drive truck in case flood waters start rising and we need to get out, first aid supplies, jugs of water ready and even loaded weapons ready for any looting (extreme worst case scenario).

robert9712000
10-28-2012, 04:26 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/178901_521555951196613_11006723_n.jpg

i bet when that happened ,the cop started shooting at the rain to try and bring it into submission.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
10-28-2012, 04:30 PM

Some of Delaware's finest right there. You would think police in the MD/DE area would be better prepared for hurricanes and the like but they are not and tend to panic more than the average citizen and resort to totally idiotic behavior.

NorfolkPCSolutions
10-28-2012, 04:30 PM

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1989809&l=a728439660&id=209960642356147ticket that sunuvabitch.

he has a headlight out.

AGRP
10-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Someone needs to be ticked for damaging public property and fined accordingly.

brandon
10-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Several of the bigger gas stations in my area of SE PA have been sold out of gas since yesterday. I've never seen anything like this before. We jsut went grocery shopping an hour ago and that wasn't too bad. There was still plenty of bottled water and batteries left, but the gallon water jugs were all gone. Still pretty calm here overall...no signs of the storm yet other than some drizzling rain.

MozoVote
10-28-2012, 07:22 PM
http://images.intellicast.com/WxImages/SatelliteLoop/hifloat2_None_anim.gif

opal
10-28-2012, 07:32 PM
that eye sure looks like it is taking a hard right atm

MelissaWV
10-28-2012, 07:34 PM
that eye sure looks like it is taking a hard right atm

Part of that is viewing a curved image that is flattened. Part of it is expected. The storm was always expected to start to go out, then swing back sharply due to the coming cold front.

kathy88
10-28-2012, 07:40 PM
I was just helping my dad clean out the gutters and a fire truck is going around saying mandatory evacuations at 6am tomorrow! Geez... I thought we had more time than that. I heard the storm gets worse Mon. night. I was going to leave in the afternoon but now I'm scrambling to get things all done tonight! :mad:

I'm all for people being safe but people should not be forced to evacuate their homes ever.

specialkornflake
10-28-2012, 07:43 PM
I'm all for people being safe but people should not be forced to evacuate their homes ever.

I think in most cases mandatory evacuations simply mean if you get into trouble 911 will not assist.

MelissaWV
10-28-2012, 07:45 PM

Most of the "mandatory evacuation" orders have more to do with what people will do to help you than actually forcing you to leave your house.

It's one of those terms like "state of emergency" (declared sometimes a day or two ahead of actual damage) that has other meanings.

If they are doing it how a lot of places around me do, then people are not forcibly removed from their homes. If, however, something happens to that person and they dial 9-1-1 they are shit out of luck for most things. Tree fell on your leg? Caught in a flash flood? Please tell me why the EMS workers who warned you it might happen must now literally risk their lives to go help you out. It happens quite a bit, and then the rescuer gets injured or killed.

awake
10-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Come on people, this storm is economic stimulus!

libertygrl
10-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Winds gusting even more now. No rain yet. Will be getting up very early tomorrow morning. 6AM mandatory evacuation in coastal areas of S. Eastern NY. I finally got everything packed in the car except the cooler which I'll take care of tomorrw. This is really starting to get to me. It's one thing if it's a natural disaster but if there's a hidden agenda to take advantage of the situation - THAT's what's beginning to freak me out. Check out the video. I'm having visions of Katrina. Don't want to think so negatively but after months of reading about an "October Surprise," I'm getting very nervous. VERY NERVOUS. I don't recall this EVER happening in my area before. Signing out for the night. My thoughts and prayers to you all. STAY SAFE!

206th Military Police Company Deployed in Response to Hurricane Sandy

h ttp://www.dvidshub.net/video/159517/206th-military-police-company-deploys-reponse-hurricane-sandy#.UI3drRw0i4A

(I also heard that areas where people had to evacuate from their communities, will be heavily patrolled by the police who will also use surveilence to protect property). :(

Anti Federalist
10-28-2012, 08:05 PM
I know your neighborhood well, I've pushed oil barges into Newton Creek many times.

I'm in Brooklyn about half a block from "Zone A" which the mayor ordered an evacuation of. I'm in a first-floor apt, so kind of nervous about the potential storm surge....but riding it out here nonetheless. I estimate something like 6.5-8 feet of vertical water rise would need to happen to get to floor level of my apt.

Here are some "before" pics from my neighborhood, I plan on taking some "after" pics in the same locations if I am able to get out and do so.

mad cow
10-28-2012, 08:09 PM
I think in most cases mandatory evacuations simply mean if you get into trouble 911 will not assist.

That is the way it is in Virginia,at least.I was under a mandatory evacuation for Isabel and I didn't leave.2 firemen did come by my house and said I was on my own,emergency wise.
I did not enjoy Isabel.If anything bigger is ever forecasted for here,I'm driving 100 miles inland,finding me a nice hotel and riding it out on a barstool.

Anti Federalist
10-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Most of the "mandatory evacuation" orders have more to do with what people will do to help you than actually forcing you to leave your house.

It's one of those terms like "state of emergency" (declared sometimes a day or two ahead of actual damage) that has other meanings.

If they are doing it how a lot of places around me do, then people are not forcibly removed from their homes. If, however, something happens to that person and they dial 9-1-1 they are shit out of luck for most things. Tree fell on your leg? Caught in a flash flood? Please tell me why the EMS workers who warned you it might happen must now literally risk their lives to go help you out. It happens quite a bit, and then the rescuer gets injured or killed.

Please...cry me a river.

That's what they, and I used to, get paid for.

That's what they are they for.

If you freeze up and shut down right when you're needed most, then what's the point?

If that's the case, why are we spending billions of dollars on emergency response systems?

Might as well just shut it all down, and let private companies just come in and clean up the mess afterwards.

God, when did this nation turn into such a bunch of slack jawed fagg ots, scared and whimpering every time the wind blows?

MelissaWV
10-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Please...cry me a river.

If you freeze up and shut down right when you're needed most, then what's the point?

If that's the case, why are we spending billions of dollars on emergency response systems?

Might as well just shut it all down, and let let private companies just come in and clean up the mess afterwards.

God, when did this nation turn into such a bunch of slack jawed ******s, scared and whimpering every time the wind blows?

This isn't "every time the wind blows." They will also still respond to certain life-or-death situations, sadly enough, where some moron manages to have a heart attack because waves really are as high and destructive as predicted.

When did this nation turn into such a bunch of macho-man ignorant pricks that want to "ride it out" but then call 9-1-1 when they get showered with glass or the flood waters they were warned about actually materalize, and expect people to risk their lives to apply a bandage?

Save me Government! :rolleyes:

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
10-28-2012, 08:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVYjzvchPPo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGfKi6kpdTQ

Nirvikalpa
10-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Please...cry me a river.

Might as well just shut it all down, and let let private companies just come in and clean up the mess afterwards.

God, when did this nation turn into such a bunch of slack jawed fagg ots, scared and whimpering every time the wind blows?

I work for a private EMS company. We're not going to save you if you are too foolish to get out. Not scared and whimpering, just smart. So things like this don't happen (http://statter911.com/2011/08/28/hurricane-irene-takes-life-of-firefighter-nj-governor-says-princeton-area-firefighter-killed-in-swift-water-rescue-operation/).

Anti Federalist
10-28-2012, 08:25 PM
This isn't "every time the wind blows." They will also still respond to certain life-or-death situations, sadly enough, where some moron manages to have a heart attack because waves really are as high and destructive as predicted.

When did this nation turn into such a bunch of macho-man ignorant pricks that want to "ride it out" but then call 9-1-1 when they get showered with glass or the flood waters they were warned about actually materalize, and expect people to risk their lives to apply a bandage?

Save me Government! :rolleyes:

"Morons" have heart attacks all the time and an EMT could just as easily get wrecked driving the ambulance to a heart attack victim on a bright sunny day.

That's what "emergency responders" are supposed to do, respond in emergencies, not run away when an emergency or bad conditions strike.

And I wasn't government funded, doing the emergency response I was doing.

Anti Federalist
10-28-2012, 08:28 PM
I work for a private EMS company. We're not going to save you if you are too foolish to get out. Not scared and whimpering, just smart.

And I ran private rescue and salvage vessels.

It was my job to extricate people from dangerous jams that they gotten themselves into.

I dunno, maybe I'm being overly harsh, as a response to the spun up and out of control media on this issue.

MelissaWV
10-28-2012, 08:29 PM
"Morons" have heart attacks all the time and an EMT could just as easily get wrecked driving the ambulance to a heart attack victim on a bright sunny day.

That's what "emergency responders" are supposed to do, respond in emergencies, not run away when an emergency or bad conditions strike.

And I wasn't government funded, doing the emergency response I was doing.

Just like if there's a powerline across a car... they are expected to lift it up and electrocute themselves, right? Or are there mitigating circumstances, the difference between the chance of a wreck and having to tie yourself off and wade through a flash flood in 50 mph winds to get to a pseudo-emergency?

angelatc
10-28-2012, 08:30 PM
i bet when that happened ,the cop started shooting at the rain to try and bring it into submission.

Promptly issued a warrant for Poseidon.

malkusm
10-28-2012, 08:31 PM

It was my job to extricate people from dangerous jams that they gotten themselves into.

I dunno, maybe I'm being overly harsh, as a response to the spun up and out of control media on this issue.

It's one thing to get stuck in a jam....quite another to have literally days of advance notice to prepare or evacuate, and then to not do so, and ask someone else to bear the responsibility of your (in)actions.

I wasn't told to evacuate, although I feel there is a reasonable flood risk at my residence; but I will deal with the consequences of that decision if and when they present themselves.

angelatc
10-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Please...cry me a river.

I tend to agree. If the First Responders don't want to respond because they might get hurt, that's ok. I get that. But that means they don't get to call themselves heroes just by nature of their paycheck. They get seriously put out when people, being people, don't always follow the state's directions.

I can only assume that when Obamacare kicks in full force, the doctors and nurses will adopt the same attitude. Don't follow my instructions? Fine - die. Serves you right.

And it's even worse, IMHO. Not only will they refuse to go in and rescue the mundane "idiots" they so disdain, they physically restrain any common folk who genuinely wants to help.

Anti Federalist
10-28-2012, 08:36 PM
It's one thing to get stuck in a jam....quite another to have literally days of advance notice to prepare or evacuate, and then to not do so, and ask someone else to bear the responsibility of your (in)actions.

I wasn't told to evacuate, although I feel there is a reasonable flood risk at my residence; but I will deal with the consequences of that decision if and when they present themselves.

Which is all well and good, and I commend you for that.

Doesn't it irritate you just a little bit to know that the multi billion emergency response system that NYC has in place, will leave you twisting in the wind, literally, if you needed them in this emergency?

Especially after paying, jeez, I can only imagine how much in taxes you pay, every year?

It's like buying insurance and then being told that the company is not going to pay out on a valid claim.

Anti Federalist
10-28-2012, 08:37 PM
I tend to agree. If the First Responders don't want to respond because they might get hurt, that's ok. I get that. But that means they don't get to call themselves heroes just by nature of their paycheck.

And it's even worse, IMHO. Not only will they refuse to go in and rescue the mundane "idiots" they so disdain, they physically restrain any common folk who genuinely wants to help.

Ex-actly!

Nirvikalpa
10-28-2012, 08:38 PM

And you went through training for it, I assume? Usually EMS/first responders who respond to "dangerous jams" are trained for it, like water rescues. They are not the average fireman or EMT.

MelissaWV
10-28-2012, 08:38 PM

Doesn't it irritate you just a little bit to know that the multi billion emergency response system that NYC has in place, will leave you twisting in the wind, literally, if you needed them in this emergency?

Especially after paying, jeez, I can only imagine how much in taxes you pay, every year?

It's like buying insurance and then being told that the company is not going to pay out on a valid claim.

No, it is like buying insurance and them coming out, repeatedly, and telling you that your roof is not up to par and will not stand up to high winds, so it is excluded. And when you put in a claim for wind damage to your roof, they don't cover it.

That multi-billion dollar system WILL be responding to people who are NOT in the totally-underwater mess of the evacuation zones.

AuH20
10-28-2012, 08:39 PM
Winds gusting even more now. No rain yet. Will be getting up very early tomorrow morning. 6AM mandatory evacuation in coastal areas of S. Eastern NY. I finally got everything packed in the car except the cooler which I'll take care of tomorrw. This is really starting to get to me. It's one thing if it's a natural disaster but if there's a hidden agenda to take advantage of the situation - THAT's what's beginning to freak me out. Check out the video. I'm having visions of Katrina. Don't want to think so negatively but after months of reading about an "October Surprise," I'm getting very nervous. VERY NERVOUS. I don't recall this EVER happening in my area before. Signing out for the night. My thoughts and prayers to you all. STAY SAFE!

206th Military Police Company Deployed in Response to Hurricane Sandy

h ttp://www.dvidshub.net/video/159517/206th-military-police-company-deploys-reponse-hurricane-sandy#.UI3drRw0i4A

(I also heard that areas where people had to evacuate from their communities, will be heavily patrolled by the police who will also use surveilence to protect property). :(

This ain't nothing. Wait until Dec. 21st. If there is some type of pole shift, god help all of us.

malkusm
10-28-2012, 08:41 PM

No more than it would for me to pay car insurance year after year, then to not get paid on a claim where I do something stupid such as causing a fire because I clearly violated posted warnings:

http://graphics1.snopes.com/autos/graphics/static.jpg

MozoVote
10-28-2012, 08:43 PM
From the Wunderground blog, worth sharing this sight of the season:

http://linapps.s3.amazonaws.com/linapps/photomojo/wavy.com/photos/2012/10/g4875-hurricane-sandy-in-va-and-nc/97843-31b42.jpg

MelissaWV
10-28-2012, 08:45 PM
Okay that is awesome.

Anti Federalist
10-28-2012, 08:52 PM
No more than it would for me to pay car insurance year after year, then to not get paid on a claim where I do something stupid such as causing a fire because I clearly violated posted warnings:

http://graphics1.snopes.com/autos/graphics/static.jpg

So, if you, after years and years and years of faithfully paying insurance premiums, have a wreck and the cloud of surveillance that surrounds us indicates that you were going 1 MPH over the posted speed limit at the time of said wreck, they should be able to deny your claim?

Anti Federalist
10-28-2012, 08:53 PM
And you went through training for it, I assume? Usually EMS/first responders who respond to "dangerous jams" are trained for it, like water rescues. They are not the average fireman or EMT.

Yeah, close to 35 years worth of it, now.

specialkornflake
10-28-2012, 08:53 PM
If people fail to heed evacuation warnings it only makes sense to not be obligated to rescue them. Although, it might be extra brave to try!

MozoVote
10-28-2012, 09:00 PM
http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/satellite/images/goeseast/4km/ir/goeseast.4km.ir.asb.201210290215.gif

Anti Federalist
10-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Just like if there's a powerline across a car... they are expected to lift it up and electrocute themselves, right? Or are there mitigating circumstances, the difference between the chance of a wreck and having to tie yourself off and wade through a flash flood in 50 mph winds to get to a pseudo-emergency?
It's an emergency.

They are emergency responders.

I know enough about power lines and grounding to come up with a JSA and action plan to cover that situation.

I would expect a fully trained and highly paid professional, who is very quick to remind me that I'm just a common Mundane and need to back off let the "professionals" work, I would expect they would be able to do the same.

Hut hutting about and bossing people around and looking at them with disdain when they disregard the "professional" orders, is not what I expect.

phill4paul
10-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Please...cry me a river.

Might as well just shut it all down, and let private companies just come in and clean up the mess afterwards.

Amen. Heroes? A hero doesn't hide inside till things are safe outside. Christ. I get tired of hearing of all the 'heroes' in government.

Anti Federalist
10-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Amen. Heroes? A hero doesn't hide inside till things are safe outside. Christ. I get tired of hearing of all the 'heroes' in government.

I guess "hero" means strutting around, bossing people about in their own homes and property and then laughing at them and calling them morons if they need help that might cause a threat to "officer safety".

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't call one of these "heroes" if I was on fucking fire, but still, what the hell are we all paying for if they all go running for the tall grass the second a real emergency looks like it might pop up?

angelatc
10-28-2012, 09:12 PM

I'm amazed that we're having this conversation. I dare say that we're the demographic least likely to evacuate. We have money, guns and food stock, it's only a little hurricane, and we tend to distrust everything the government tells us to do. Add to that we tend to be loners, with dogs and cats...it's not hard for me to imagine deciding to stay put. Doesn't make it a good idea, but it doesn't make me a bad person for making it.

brandon
10-28-2012, 09:13 PM
http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/satellite/images/goeseast/4km/ir/goeseast.4km.ir.asb.201210290215.gif

What does this map even mean? It looks like the colors are indicating "Deg C" What is Deg C? It's definitely not degrees celsius because it would be totally wrong.

MozoVote
10-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Temperature of the cloud tops. The colder they are, the taller the clouds. When you see -70C or less, those are supercells.

Convection in this storm is not especially strong, but it is HUGE and is carrying an immense mass of water that will be dumped on New England and the Applachian mountains tomorrow.

Anti Federalist
10-28-2012, 09:18 PM
What does this map even mean? It looks like the colors are indicating "Deg C" What is Deg C? It's definitely not degrees celsius because it would be totally wrong.

Negative degrees Celsius.

They assign color coding to the cloud tops.

Red/pink/white hues are the highest/coldest cloud tops.

The higher the cloud top means the lower the atmospheric pressure through all levels thus, the more powerful the storm system.

ETA-Whoops, Mozo beat me to it.

brandon
10-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Ahh gotcha, thanks guys. I know very little about meteorology but I find it fascinating and I think I need to start doing some more studying.

We're still dry and calm in SE PA, I can't wait for this thing to get here and see what it's got. Everything is closed here. All schools and almost all businesses have already announced closures for tomorrow. I've never in my 28 years seen anything like this. We work through 3 feet blizzards here.

Anti Federalist
10-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Ahh gotcha, thanks guys. I know very little about meteorology but I find it fascinating and I think I need to start doing some more studying.

We're still dry and calm in SE PA, I can't wait for this thing to get here and see what it's got. Everything is closed here. All schools and almost all businesses have already announced closures for tomorrow. I've never in my 28 years seen anything like this. We work through 3 feet blizzards here.

Yah, I have even seen some media reports about how this will be "worse than Katrina".

Umm, no.

AuH20
10-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Yah, I have even seen some media reports about how this will be "worse than Katrina".

Umm, no.

But it's the pampered east coast.

PreDeadMan
10-28-2012, 10:05 PM
I dunno what the hell to expect my band's show was cancelled lol we were supposed to play today at 7:15 pm got an email around noon or so saying we are cancelled EH... i'm in suffolk county lindenhurst..... i hope it's interesting... i'm looking for some crazy weather =p

Ignostic?
10-28-2012, 11:38 PM
The hurricane on the pumpkin is spinning the wrong direction.

GunnyFreedom
10-29-2012, 12:04 AM
I'm amazed that we're having this conversation. I dare say that we're the demographic least likely to evacuate. We have money, guns and food stock, it's only a little hurricane, and we tend to distrust everything the government tells us to do. Add to that we tend to be loners, with dogs and cats...it's not hard for me to imagine deciding to stay put. Doesn't make it a good idea, but it doesn't make me a bad person for making it.

Pretty sure he was only talking about government employees.

GunnyFreedom
10-29-2012, 12:05 AM
The hurricane on the pumpkin is spinning the wrong direction.

Must be a shellback hurricane.

Anti Federalist
10-29-2012, 12:26 AM
Must be a shellback hurricane.

ROFL

"The water, it's turning clockwise sir."

"D'Oh! Stupid Lisa Science Queen."

Sentinelrv
10-29-2012, 12:51 AM
Alright, I am in Pennsville New Jersey, about 300 feet from the Delaware River and about a mile from the Delaware Memorial Bridge. I went out and measured the water at high tide and it was about three feet from spilling over into the street. This is before the storm really hits and tomorrow night is supposed to be a full moon, which will only make it worse. I'm not sure how this is going to play out, so I think I'm going to pack up and head inland away from the water just in case something bad happens.

kathy88
10-29-2012, 05:44 AM
It's eerily calm outside. The sun is just coming up. I'm a good 4 hours west and north of Philly and everything is closed. Stores are out of water, bread, etc... not sure about gas I filled up yesterday morning. No generators or water filters left. People are taking this one seriously. As I was drifting off to sleep last night I heard a weather dude say they are expecting millions to be without power for up to two weeks. This blows. Pun intended a little.

malkusm
10-29-2012, 06:00 AM
Alright, I am in Pennsville New Jersey, about 300 feet from the Delaware River and about a mile from the Delaware Memorial Bridge. I went out and measured the water at high tide and it was about three feet from spilling over into the street. This is before the storm really hits and tomorrow night is supposed to be a full moon, which will only make it worse. I'm not sure how this is going to play out, so I think I'm going to pack up and head inland away from the water just in case something bad happens.

Probably a good call. It looks like the path is taking it near the Delaware Bay at this point.

angelatc
10-29-2012, 06:12 AM
It's eerily calm outside. The sun is just coming up. I'm a good 4 hours west and north of Philly and everything is closed. Stores are out of water, bread, etc... not sure about gas I filled up yesterday morning. No generators or water filters left. People are taking this one seriously. As I was drifting off to sleep last night I heard a weather dude say they are expecting millions to be without power for up to two weeks. This blows. Pun intended a little.

If you want to get in the car and come to Michigan, I'll be home to let you in.

malkusm
10-29-2012, 06:39 AM
The rain lightened up just now so I got out to assess the water. There was no flooding as of yet here in north Brooklyn, however, the East River looked to be 2-3 feet above normal levels and was rushing south at about 20 MPH:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/26627_10101277959904963_1159274206_n.jpg

Winds are mostly blowing out of the east (I'd say only 15-20 MPH sustained, but one gust while I was out there was likely in the 40-50 MPH range). The winds should be pushing water up against east-facing shores such as the Manhattan side of the East River, and that's mitigating the water threat on my side...for now.

Good webcam which, coincidentally, faces east from Staten Island into the New York harbor: http://nyharborwebcam.com/

MozoVote
10-29-2012, 06:57 AM
Forecast is for rain to be heavy in Maryland and Delaware. The National Weather Service is forecasting blizzard conditions in West Virginia ... 2 to 3 FEET of snow with high winds.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/zoom/Rainfall_Day_1.gif

MozoVote
10-29-2012, 07:01 AM
Say good morning to Sandy:

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o565/icmoore/northeast_vis-5.gif

CrissyNY
10-29-2012, 07:39 AM
Wow, my dad is in Freeport, and the streets are flooding already. And the storm hasn't even started yet.

He's under mandatory evacuation, he won't leave because he wants to protect the family business from looting.

But I am seriously worried about him.

Hold tight everyone.

kathy88
10-29-2012, 07:41 AM

kathy88
10-29-2012, 07:42 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1628&d=1351518112

You know where this is, huh AF?

brandon
10-29-2012, 07:51 AM
lol I can't believe I got off work for this, it's not even raining. I'm going to go out for a drive to see if I can find anything interesting. I'll report back.

jclay2
10-29-2012, 08:54 AM
I work in the cbot in chicago and we are getting off early due to the guys in nyc leaving work early. Pretty Sweet!

jonhowe
10-29-2012, 08:58 AM
I work in the cbot in chicago and we are getting off early due to the guys in nyc leaving work early. Pretty Sweet!

I work on Wall Street and it was assumed I wasn't coming in.

AuH20
10-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Wow, my dad is in Freeport, and the streets are flooding already. And the storm hasn't even started yet.

He's under mandatory evacuation, he won't leave because he wants to protect the family business from looting.

But I am seriously worried about him.

Hold tight everyone.

The National Guard has been deployed into the evac areas to protect looting.

http://online.wsj.com/article/APded8f062cda345528bb1eb7ecb073d8d.html

asurfaholic
10-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Looks like a big one. Yall be safe....

Btw, i have never in my life known a tropical storm to hit one side of my state, while a blizzard hits the other. It is really sticking in my head as a weird thing..

amonasro
10-29-2012, 09:59 AM
We need to send George Clooney, a big Hollywood director and a bunch of clueless actors out to sea on a big fishing rig.

Anti Federalist
10-29-2012, 10:11 AM
We need to send George Clooney, a big Hollywood director and a bunch of clueless actors out to sea on a big fishing rig.

LOL.

There are a couple of us here.

mad cow is one.

Anti Federalist
10-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Not off the top of my head I don't recognize it.

Those boats aren't gonna make it though, I cam tell you that.

This is big money coming for the business I used to be in.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1628&d=1351518112

You know where this is, huh AF?

kathy88
10-29-2012, 10:14 AM
I work on Wall Street and it was assumed I wasn't coming in.

Battery Park.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s480x480/306691_545909055438552_1055469574_n.png

mac_hine
10-29-2012, 10:24 AM
I live on the New Hampshire seacoast. The wind has really started to pick up in the last hour. The rain is coming down sideways.

All the gas stations around me still have plenty of fuel. The grocery stores are still pretty stocked up as well.

It's my gut feeling that a lot of people around here have underestimated this storm's potential.

malkusm
10-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Pictures from friends of mine....

Ocean City, MD - Famed fishing pier badly damaged

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/561779_495042687182794_562477197_n.png

Chincoteague, VA completely underwater

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/548865_10151226376304539_1509976305_n.jpg

Nirvikalpa
10-29-2012, 10:31 AM

Atlantic Highlands?

kathy88
10-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Atlantic Highlands?

Yes. The Garden State Parkway is flooded and closed from Exit 63 to it's termination in Cape May.

jonhowe
10-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Just saw people trying to swim in FDR Drive in the 70's.

Anti Federalist
10-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Yes. The Garden State Parkway is flooded and closed from Exit 63 to it's termination in Cape May.

Ah, got it.

I never got up that way much, I stayed down in Ocean Co. for the most part.

Let's see, exit 63, that's down around AC, IIRC.

The only time I got flooded on the bay was under similar circumstances, the "Perfect Storm" pushed all the water south, and then when the wind shifted it all came back north again and put about 6 inches of water in the house.

Nirvikalpa
10-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Barnegat, Waretown, and Forked River will be next. I know last night Waretown was already beginning to flood. Seaside Heights is already flooded, badly...

kathy88
10-29-2012, 11:09 AM
I think 63 is Long Beach Island. This is getting insane.

Anti Federalist
10-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Barnegat, Waretown, and Forked River will be next. I know last night Waretown was already beginning to flood. Seaside Heights is already flooded, badly...

Lavalette, Ormand Beach, Bay Head, Brick Beach, Normandy...they'll all sink too.

I'm watching a traffic cam at Seaside, where the Rt. 37 bridge dumps off at Rt. 35.

Traffic still moving there.

http://www.511nj.org/cameras.aspx

jonhowe
10-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Can't figure out how to share this picture, I didn't take it: http://instagram.com/p/RX8Ot-LWmE/

But that's FDR Drive and 79th st, I was just there and it's much more flooded now.

HOLLYWOOD
10-29-2012, 11:22 AM
LOL ==> Delaware's Governor Jack Markell in declaring his level 2 emergency areas, rules: You cannot drive on the roads, if you do, it's $115 fine. of course Television news crews/.gov vehicles are exempt.

So, .gov can take the time out to write you a fine of $115. :rolleyes:

chudrockz
10-29-2012, 11:25 AM
LOL ==> Delaware's Governor Jack Markell in declaring his level 2 emergency areas, rules: You cannot drive on the roads, if you do, it's $115 fine. of course Television news crews/.gov vehicles are exempt.

Of course! Writing tickets is much easier than doing something useful, like stopping crime or helping people.

Nirvikalpa
10-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Reports of power outages already in NJ: some parts of Bayonne, area of toms river (beachwood), neptune city, belmar...

CaptUSA
10-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Reports of power outages already in NJ: some parts of Bayonne, area of toms river (beachwood), neptune city, belmar...JCP&L has about 35,000 out. The number is growing.

jonhowe
10-29-2012, 11:29 AM
There it is.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/46532_517064594972719_1913216097_n.jpg

malkusm
10-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Can't figure out how to share this picture, I didn't take it: http://instagram.com/p/RX8Ot-LWmE/

But that's FDR Drive and 79th st, I was just there and it's much more flooded now.

http://distilleryimage8.instagram.com/4f71ad9621eb11e2bf9022000a1fb723_7.jpg

Anti Federalist
10-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Some neat webcams.

http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/

Anti Federalist
10-29-2012, 11:33 AM

Ah, here we go.

The meat and potatoes of it.

What happens at Level 3?

Nirvikalpa
10-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Irony @ Ocean City, NJ:

http://o5.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dims3/PATCH/resize/600x450/http://hss-prod.hss.aol.com/hss/storage/patch/21782ea45b72e5bbb392745657d6aae3

"Praise God from whom all blessings flow." Probably not a good idea to have that as a caption as a hurricane flows in...

kathy88
10-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Ah, here we go.

The meat and potatoes of it.

What happens at Level 3?

Fines are tripled, of course.

Acala
10-29-2012, 11:38 AM
What happens at Level 3?

Gold and silver are confiscated.

Acala
10-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Irony @ Ocean City, NJ:

http://o5.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dims3/PATCH/resize/600x450/http://hss-prod.hss.aol.com/hss/storage/patch/21782ea45b72e5bbb392745657d6aae3

"Praise God from whom all blessings flow." Probably not a good idea to have that as a caption as a hurricane flows in...

Hahaha! Should have changed it to "God Works in Mysterious Ways!"

Nirvikalpa
10-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Hackensack, NJ:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/60629_167835260023294_1786651749_n.jpg

*facepalm*

Anti Federalist
10-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Fines are tripled, of course.

Gold and silver are confiscated.

I was figuring you just got dragged out of your hovel and shot, but those are both good too.

Anti Federalist
10-29-2012, 11:41 AM
D'Oh!

If that's the RR overpass I'm thinking it is, (Rt 22), that ALWAYS floods there.

Hackensack, NJ:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/60629_167835260023294_1786651749_n.jpg

*facepalm*

CaptUSA
10-29-2012, 11:41 AM
JCP&L has about 35,000 out. The number is growing.Went from 35K to 45K in the last 10 minutes. I expect it to keep going...

Anti Federalist
10-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Goodbye, Cruel World

Posted by Becky Akers on October 28, 2012 08:04 PM

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/124546.html

We’re all gonna die in the “Frankenstorm.” Or so New York City’s rulers want us to fear. Nanny-sorry, Mayor Mike Bloomberg has warned us of the dire weather over and over: maybe he not only deems us stupid but hard of hearing, too. He’s also dispensed such insultingly obvious advice as “remain calm” — even as he tries his hardest to scare the pants off us.

Meanwhile, without so much as a single drop of rain yet fallen, Nanny has commanded serfs unlucky enough to live in what bureaucrats designate as “low areas” to evacuate. And he closed the subways at 7 PM tonight. Consider our wimpy, cowardly age: The subways in their century-plus of existence have remained open through blizzards, floods, hurricanes, thunderstorms, torrential rains. New York’s previous führers, however pusillanimous, never shut them down — until a year ago last August, when Nanny did, for the Hurricane That Wasn’t (at least in most of New York City). Now, for the second time in 14 months, Nanny has proclaimed subterranean track and trains vulnerable to a storm above-ground. Halting the subways immobilizes the city, whose rulers have warred so tirelessly against drivers that millions long ago surrendered to unreliable and crowded public transit.

Providing I survive this newest threat to western civilization, I’ll be most interested to learn how much overtime Nanny’s hysteria wrangled for the city’s employees. And, of course, how much more power for himself.

Acala
10-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Hackensack, NJ:

*facepalm*

Must be visiting from Arizona. We are experts in car surfing.

Acala
10-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Goodbye, Cruel World

Posted by Becky Akers on October 28, 2012 08:04 PM

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/124546.html

We’re all gonna die in the “Frankenstorm.” Or so New York City’s rulers want us to fear. Nanny-sorry, Mayor Mike Bloomberg has warned us of the dire weather over and over: maybe he not only deems us stupid but hard of hearing, too. He’s also dispensed such insultingly obvious advice as “remain calm” — even as he tries his hardest to scare the pants off us.

Meanwhile, without so much as a single drop of rain yet fallen, Nanny has commanded serfs unlucky enough to live in what bureaucrats designate as “low areas” to evacuate. And he closed the subways at 7 PM tonight. Consider our wimpy, cowardly age: The subways in their century-plus of existence have remained open through blizzards, floods, hurricanes, thunderstorms, torrential rains. New York’s previous führers, however pusillanimous, never shut them down — until a year ago last August, when Nanny did, for the Hurricane That Wasn’t (at least in most of New York City). Now, for the second time in 14 months, Nanny has proclaimed subterranean track and trains vulnerable to a storm above-ground. Halting the subways immobilizes the city, whose rulers have warred so tirelessly against drivers that millions long ago surrendered to unreliable and crowded public transit.

Providing I survive this newest threat to western civilization, I’ll be most interested to learn how much overtime Nanny’s hysteria wrangled for the city’s employees. And, of course, how much more power for himself.

The nature of top-down emergency management. Endlessly stupid, inefficient, expensive, and destructive of individual responsibility and liberty.

VoluntaryAmerican
10-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Irony @ Ocean City, NJ:

Went to Highschool in OC. Some streets flood there every time there is a decent rain, it ought to be interesting to see how this affects them.

kathy88
10-29-2012, 12:00 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s480x480/28010_3553653414986_811321401_n.jpg

Bruno
10-29-2012, 12:04 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s480x480/28010_3553653414986_811321401_n.jpg

HOLD!!!

Carlybee
10-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Thoughts and prayers to all affected. Having been through Ike, I can safely say..you ain't seen nothing yet. Stay safe!