PDA

View Full Version : 12-year-old Sues Parents After Drunk Driving Car Accident

aGameOfThrones
10-24-2012, 10:04 PM
After almost losing her life to her parents' poor judgment, a little girl has taken her family to task—and to court.

12-year-old Faith Carberry, of Longford, Ireland, filed a lawsuit against her parents, Mary Carberry and Tommy Varden, after sustaining severe injuries from a drunk driving accident caused by Carberry, driving a car purchased by Varden. On Wednesday, the liability suit was settled on undisclosed terms.

The accident occurred in November, 2007, when Faith was seven years old. Carberry was binge drinking and crashed her BMW into an embankment, killing Faith's sister Ava, 6, and Faith's' friend, Michaela Logan, 9. Michaela's brother John was also injured but, like Faith, survived the crash.

Grieving dad pays teens to drive sober

Carberry allegedly has a history of chronic alcoholism, and at the time of the accident had been banned from driving after two DUIs.

Faith survived, but suffered serious spinal injuries which left her in a cast for 10 weeks. She later spent three months in therapy over the death of her sister.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/12-old-sues-parents-drunk-driving-car-accident-190600659.html

NIU Students for Liberty
10-24-2012, 10:05 PM
I thought kids don't have rights :rolleyes:

BamaAla
10-24-2012, 10:09 PM
I see the mother being sued (surely she is in prison, right?,) but the father is a stretch. According to the story, the father is the one with the money, so I guess that is where this comes from.

angelatc
10-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Wow - I wonder where the lawyers got her name? I have a 13 year old at home, and no way is he savvy enough to call a lawyer and sue anybody. Thank heavens!

ETA: It was her grandfather, suing by proxy. I'm sorry, but this doesn't help anybody.

sailingaway
10-24-2012, 11:06 PM
That is usually to access the parent's insurance.

jtstellar
10-25-2012, 12:20 AM
i hope the mother is not colluding in order to get money out of their father which from the article appears to be estranged from the family.. Lol.. that would make a new low (or is it high for mothers?) on financial schemes.. mother + daughter together against father man what a ploy that would be

idiom
10-25-2012, 12:42 AM
Doesn't she know she has to run away before she owns herself?

DamianTV
10-25-2012, 03:01 AM
I thought kids don't have rights :rolleyes:

They dont! But Lawyers have retained the right to turn a profit when a child wants to sue their parents for something. Next time, it wont be for drunk driving, it will be for not getting their desired object for christmas.

Czolgosz
10-25-2012, 07:48 AM
I see the mother being sued (surely she is in prison, right?,) but the father is a stretch. According to the story, the father is the one with the money, so I guess that is where this comes from.

Yes, the father being named illuminated the nature of this suit.

jmdrake
10-25-2012, 07:53 AM
That is usually to access the parent's insurance.

Right. And I'm pretty sure this isn't allowed in the U.S. for that very reason.

jtstellar
10-25-2012, 10:28 AM
this is hilarious.. a guy ordered by court to lose his custody gets sued because he didn't watch over their family from a distance and couldn't find ways around legal barrier enough to ensure nothing bad ever happens.. shit like this always involving women is building up my prejudice fast and i'm hella young too.

moostraks
10-25-2012, 10:36 AM
They dont! But Lawyers have retained the right to turn a profit when a child wants to sue their parents for something. Next time, it wont be for drunk driving, it will be for not getting their desired object for christmas.

They do, it is through a guardian ad liteum and social services. Narcissistic personality disorders do this to their parents. Btdtgtts...

Czolgosz
10-25-2012, 11:38 AM
this is hilarious.. a guy ordered by court to lose his custody gets sued because he didn't watch over their family from a distance and couldn't find ways around legal barrier enough to ensure nothing bad ever happens.. shit like this always involving women is building up my prejudice fast and i'm hella young too.

Your prejudice isn't misplaced. Protect yourself.

jodealbell
11-10-2012, 02:42 AM
Drunk driving is the act of operating or driving a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs to the degree that mental and motor skills are impaired. There are a lot of car accidents because of drunk driving. States are cracking down on drunk driving. DUI and DWI laws across the nation are becoming stricter and being enforced with greater diligence. Thus, drunk driving (http://www.quicksr22insurance.com/) is a serious offense and can have different consequences depending upon where you live. I was amazed with this 12 year old kid to sue his parents for drunk driving. He just fight for what is right even if his parents are the one who have done wrong.