PDA

View Full Version : Informant: NYPD paid me to 'bait' Muslims

Zippyjuan
10-23-2012, 03:04 PM
http://enews.earthlink.net/article/us?guid=20121023/94ecb7b5-de62-4bcc-b811-1c359183f563

October 23, 2012 3:45 PM EDT
NEW YORK (AP) — A paid informant for the New York Police Department's intelligence unit was under orders to "bait" Muslims into saying inflammatory things as he lived a double life, snapping pictures inside mosques and collecting the names of innocent people attending study groups on Islam, he told The Associated Press.

Shamiur Rahman, a 19-year-old American of Bangladeshi descent who has now denounced his work as an informant, said police told him to embrace a strategy called "create and capture." He said it involved creating a conversation about jihad or terrorism, then capturing the response to send to the NYPD. For his work, he earned as much as $1,000 a month and goodwill from the police after a string of minor marijuana arrests.

"We need you to pretend to be one of them," Rahman recalled the police telling him. "It's street theater."

Rahman said he now believes his work as an informant against Muslims in New York was "detrimental to the Constitution." After he disclosed to friends details about his work for the police — and after he told the police that he had been contacted by the AP — he stopped receiving text messages from his NYPD handler, "Steve," and his handler's NYPD phone number was disconnected.

Rahman's account shows how the NYPD unleashed informants on Muslim neighborhoods, often without specific targets or criminal leads. Much of what Rahman said represents a tactic the NYPD has denied using.

The AP corroborated Rahman's account through arrest records and weeks of text messages between Rahman and his police handler. The AP also reviewed the photos Rahman sent to police. Friends confirmed Rahman was at certain events when he said he was there, and former NYPD officials, while not personally familiar with Rahman, said the tactics he described were used by informants.

Informants like Rahman are a central component of the NYPD's wide-ranging programs to monitor life in Muslim neighborhoods since the 2001 terrorist attacks. Police officers have eavesdropped inside Muslim businesses, trained video cameras on mosques and collected license plates of worshippers. Informants who trawl the mosques — known informally as "mosque crawlers" — tell police what the imam says at sermons and provide police lists of attendees, even when there's no evidence they committed a crime.

The programs were built with unprecedented help from the CIA.

Police recruited Rahman in late January, after his third arrest on misdemeanor drug charges, which Rahman believed would lead to serious legal consequences. An NYPD plainclothes officer approached him in a Queens jail and asked whether he wanted to turn his life around.

The next month, Rahman said, he was on the NYPD's payroll.

NYPD spokesman Paul Browne did not immediately return a message seeking comment about Tuesday. He has denied widespread NYPD spying, saying police only follow leads.

In an Oct. 15 interview with the AP, however, Rahman said he received little training and spied on "everything and anyone." He took pictures inside the many mosques he visited and eavesdropped on imams. By his own measure, he said he was very good at his job and his handler never once told him he was collecting too much, no matter whom he was spying on.

Rahman said he thought he was doing important work protecting New York City and considered himself a hero.

More at link.

alucard13mmfmj
10-23-2012, 03:05 PM
1000 a month.. that is a lot of weed u can buy from the police evidence locker.

belian78
10-24-2012, 08:04 AM
First the stop and frisk, now this. I'm starting to see this kind of thing here in the armpit of IL as well. I would ask where it all ends, but unfortunately I already know.

http://www.pjstar.com/free/x346785166/Informant-NYPD-paid-me-to-bait-Muslims

nasaal
10-24-2012, 09:14 AM
As a Muslim I didn't want to believe that an entire religion was going to be slowly made into the absolute enemy imagine that the ideology of communism was in the cold war. But all the time I see it where a group of people is being seen as an enemy.

belian78
10-24-2012, 10:47 AM
I'ts very unfortunate, and using muslims is just the start. Like I said, they'v been starting programs like this where I am trying to root out gang leaders and potential threats and such. It's sickening.

presence
10-24-2012, 04:37 PM
http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=22258

Shamiur Rahman, a 19-year-old American of Bengali descent who has now denounced his work as an informant, said police told him to embrace a strategy called “create and capture.” He said it involved creating a conversation about jihad or terrorism, then capturing the response to send to the NYPD. For his work, he earned as much as $1,000 a month and goodwill from the police after a string of minor marijuana arrests.