PDA

View Full Version : People ARE Waking Up

Okie RP fan
10-23-2012, 01:43 PM
I never thought I'd say this, especially so soon after the Republican primaries, but, just from my own personal experiences both in person and browsing around on the Internet on local news sites, people are waking up. And if people are waking up in Oklahoma, it's a good day.

What I mean is that, when I browse around and read comments here and there, and when I talk with people in my classes and wherever, there truly isn't that much excitement not only for Romney, but for this election as a whole. The majority I'd say are ready for this to all be over.

Another example is that people are becoming friendly to the idea of "prepping." More so than I've ever seen. When someone makes a comment about martial law, I see more "up votes" than "down votes." And people are finally acknowledging on a larger scale than I could've imagined that the dollar might fail. And the Federal Reserve becomes a topic never before spoken of.

People are waking up. Slowly.

I can't help but think that this was due to Ron Paul and We, the Grassroots. All of that time we spent, think about it. All of that time we spent, stressed out, going 100 miles an hour 7 days a week, educating, debating, arguing, etc. I think it's starting to show it's worth; it's all beginning to pay off.

Our efforts were NOT in vain, I can assure you.

I understand that not everyone is on board, and the majority of the country is still asleep, but, when has it ever taken a true majority to produce effective change?

Continue to educate people. I've been taking a long break from the campaigning, but, I'm always on stand-by mode, ready to educate someone with whatever I know, exposing them to truths, and other opinions differing from the mainstream. And I hope all of you are doing so as well. We've made huge strides this election year, let's not allow that momentum and effort go to waste. Keep on educating people and run for office if you ever have the chance.

Stay encouraged!

sailingaway
10-23-2012, 01:44 PM
+ rep

Okie RP fan
10-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Anyone else want to share their similar experiences?

jbauer
10-23-2012, 03:56 PM
I've had as many friends and clients tell me that maybe Paul was right as people that hate me for NOT voting for Rmoney. Thats a significant increase in our direction. I know several life long Republicans that are done with Team Red.

As for the prepping? The Nat Geo tv show has made it ok to talk about. Most people realize we can't keep doing what we're doing and expect there not to be concequences.

dannno
10-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Clips from conversation during the debate last night with a couple other people:

"I know somebody who is voting for Obama!!"

"I know somebody who is voting for Romney!!"

Stellwagen
10-23-2012, 07:28 PM
I definitely have seen people more frustrated with politics.

Yesterday was pretty cool, though. I was at a friend's house for a drinking game debate party. Everyone there had political interest. Inevitably, after the debate we got to sharing our own views and everyone was pro-Bama but a me, another libertarian, and a bit of a Marxist-leaning-anti-corporatism-pro-Ron-Paul friend(don't worry, he'll get there). The Obama people were interested in getting our votes which gave us the opportunity to paint both candidates as bought by Goldman Sachs and explaining the rigged system. I got the opportunity to explain the whole Keynes vs. Hayek difference and the Federal Reserve, devaluation of the dollar, and all that.

It was really interesting to see the reactions and confusion. Libertarian views are so out of mainstream discussion that they didn't have any prepared rebuttals and they asked a lot of questions out of interest/skepticism of how a limited government can even work. I likely didn't sway any votes, however I felt I was able to stretch their minds a bit and hopefully plants some seeds for libertarian views in the future. I think even having someone like me who they respect strongly defending the position changes their opinion as well. One girl came to me after though and said everything I was saying made so much sense and she expressed her frustration with both candidates and not wanting to vote for the lesser of two evils, also asking me how she should vote.

I felt like a bit of a pastor/evangelist. haha. Really an odd feeling for political conversation but I did my best. If I made one mistake, it's that I said I didn't believe everyone should have the opportunity to get a college education. "Not elegantly stated" I admit, and I wish I could have explained my stance a bit more, but word of advice: be prepared if you mess with liberals and education.

mello
10-23-2012, 07:43 PM
I definitely have seen people more frustrated with politics.

Yesterday was pretty cool, though. I was at a friend's house for a drinking game debate party. Everyone there had political interest. Inevitably, after the debate we got to sharing our own views and everyone was pro-Bama but a me, another libertarian, and a bit of a Marxist-leaning-anti-corporatism-pro-Ron-Paul friend(don't worry, he'll get there). The Obama people were interested in getting our votes which gave us the opportunity to paint both candidates as bought by Goldman Sachs and explaining the rigged system. I got the opportunity to explain the whole Keynes vs. Hayek difference and the Federal Reserve, devaluation of the dollar, and all that.

It was really interesting to see the reactions and confusion. Libertarian views are so out of mainstream discussion that they didn't have any prepared rebuttals and they asked a lot of questions out of interest/skepticism of how a limited government can even work. I likely didn't sway any votes, however I felt I was able to stretch their minds a bit and hopefully plants some seeds for libertarian views in the future. I think even having someone like me who they respect strongly defending the position changes their opinion as well. One girl came to me after though and said everything I was saying made so much sense and she expressed her frustration with both candidates and not wanting to vote for the lesser of two evils, also asking me how she should vote.

I felt like a bit of a pastor/evangelist. haha. Really an odd feeling for political conversation but I did my best. If I made one mistake, it's that I said I didn't believe everyone should have the opportunity to get a college education. "Not elegantly stated" I admit, and I wish I could have explained my stance a bit more, but word of advice: be prepared if you mess with liberals and education.

Honestly, that sounds like the most-boring party ever. I hope you at least got a hummer from the girl you turned.

McChronagle
10-23-2012, 07:52 PM
ive posted on a local message board for quite a while talking about and explaining rp/liberty. although i havent posted in a few weeks i still lurk. many dems didnt accept the left=right theory stating that the right is much more destructive than their side. this week one of those members has been posting pictures of obamney, asking whats the differences between the two and actually posted left=right. others are also moving towards this thought. another staunch dem has posted he would have voted for ron paul based on his foreign policy stance alone.

on other social networks, i see many vocal people that are clearly upset with the system we have today and realize both of these candidates are fools and will not help the country. so even if they may not support ron, they are waking up to the sham of the two party system. once things start unraveling i will surely start spreading the message and rp videos again and it will be much more obvious how right ron has been.

Stellwagen
10-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Honestly, that sounds like the most-boring party ever. I hope you at least got a hummer from the girl you turned.

haha.

The term "party" was used loosely. We're a bunch of hipster-humanities-majors attending a religious-liberal-arts college where everyone wants to have deep discussions. We're way too lame to even consider throwing a legit party on a Monday night. No hummer, unfortunately.

eleganz
10-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Yes, people are starting to see what we're talking about.

I have a few friends that have been curious about all the things I've been saying.

We still have a lot more work to do but awakening to the truth really takes time.

Origanalist
10-23-2012, 09:10 PM
When people quit telling me that a vote for their idea of the lesser of two evils is going to stop the onset of the next dark ages maybe I will start to know hope.

acptulsa
10-23-2012, 09:18 PM
We still have a lot more work to do but awakening to the truth really takes time.

Anyone who can just have the light bulb come on, and shift their paradigm, already had a complete paradigm. They had a complete worldview that was flawed, and they got it adjusted. Many of you are in that group. Somewhere in the dim recesses of history, I guess that had to happen to me as well, though I hardly remember being other than a libertarian.

Everyone else is getting their horizons expanded. That's why they get testy with us--we tear down every political idea in their whole heads. Then they have nothing but scorched earth and have to rebuild from scratch--a lot of work. Thanks to our efforts, they're starting to get a truly solid foundation built for the first time in their lives. There's still a lot of work to do, since all they have after our ideological tornado (and a whole lot of rebuilding already) is a basement with no roof. But damn if that basement isn't more solid than the old slab that was sinking in the sand, so maybe they're starting to see that they'll eventually be better off.

Yeah, we're making progress. Don't expect to get to lay off any time soon.

When people quit telling me that a vote for their idea of the lesser of two evils is going to stop the onset of the next dark ages maybe I will start to know hope.

'Listen. I told you last year who could beat Obama. I was working my ass off selling conservatism to independents and, yes, even liberals so they'd vote for the man. He's an honest, real conservative with integrity, and that's what I could sell to these voters. Give them a real liberal and a fake liberal, and they'll choose the real liberal every time. But I had them ready to vote for a real conservative. I had them convinced that, at least at the federal level, it was time for real conservatism.

'But instead of listening to me, you listened to that closet Democrat Rupert Murdoch and his closet Democrat Fox News. So, right now you need to get out of my face, before I tell you exactly who condemned this nation to rack and ruin--whether you want to hear it or not. Do I make myself clear?'

SisCyn
10-23-2012, 10:39 PM
I attended my elderly aunt's annual weiner roast this past Saturday. My cousin, who is a retired state university professor, was there and said to me that he was sorry about Ron Paul. Its been about 2 years since I last seen him. I said, oh, I remember mentioning him to you, but I didn't really think you were interested. My cousin told me that he had voted for Ron Paul in the primary. He's not sold on the foreign policy, but says we could really use the monetary policy. I was shocked, encouraged, and pleased. I also had the thought afterwards that maybe people are starting to wake up. We're in Illinois.

acptulsa
10-23-2012, 10:47 PM
I know, two weeks before election day, it feels like we failed. But we didn't fail. They failed.

It isn't hard to see why...

'The fellow that can only see a week ahead is always the popular fellow, for he is looking with the crowd. But the one that can see years ahead, he has a telescope but he can't make anybody believe that he has it.'--Will Rogers

Our vindication is coming. And our vindication is a great nation's salvation.

I know it doesn't seem polite to say it, but we must. Just repeat after me: We told you so!

Okie RP fan
10-24-2012, 08:15 AM
+reps all around.

One thing I've also noticed is that people are saying that "voting for the lesser evil is necessary this election!" or something very similar.

It's a great opportunity for me to make the simplest argument that they've never heard or thought about: In the end, we arrive at evil. Voting for the lesser of two evils is just altering how quickly we get there: sooner, or later. But, we always end up at the same point.

CaptUSA
10-24-2012, 09:55 AM
The term "party" was used loosely. We're a bunch of hipster-humanities-majors attending a religious-liberal-arts college where everyone wants to have deep discussions. We're way too lame to even consider throwing a legit party on a Monday night. No hummer, unfortunately.Whoa, no hummer from a hipster-humanities major at a religious liberal arts college?! Either you have absolutely no skills in persuasion, or you wussed out and didn't even try.