PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts Workers Comp = F’ed up

jbauer
10-23-2012, 08:29 AM
My wife and I are going to Massachusetts for an expo there at the fairgrounds. We just got an email from the expo stating that Mass is “cracking down” on uninsured workman’s comp employed people. They’ve been “raiding” the fairgrounds ticketing the out of town’ers $1500 per violation. What they’ve told us is that even though we’re out of state and even though I’m her spouse I can’t do ANYTHING that might look like I might be helping her in her business. She is a presenter. We are from out of state. We will set up a booth and sell some DVDs so we provide sales tax revenue they wouldn’t have received. We obviously will rent a hotel room and eat meals which provides revenue.

She called and asked the state some questions. It turns out that if I were to wear a shirt with her companies emblem on it while watching our kids (1/2 my genetic material) within the same venue (not just her 10’ x 10’ booth) and if they caught me and she didn’t have a workmen’s comp policy covering me, her own immediate family that she could be fined because I would be providing childcare that is allowing her to conduct business.

So to you people in Mass. WTF?? I’m a spouse, if I get hurt the health insurance that I provide (I’m also self-employed so we pay 100% of the cost) for my family would cover me. If we actually lived there if I helped stuff some envelopes in our own house for her and they found out they could fine us.
Just for relevance sake I don’t know of any other states that don’t give a family exemption for immediate family. (My kids can’t even wear her emblem). Both my previous residence in MN and my current residence in TN have a 5 employee threshold and immediate family before workman’s comp is required as does just about all other states. I already checked about becoming a self employed contractor for her but unless it meets 3 very specific occupations (taxi drivers, real-estate agent and something else) you must be case by case approved by the state.

Anyways, just want to tell you Mass Liberty Activists that your state is really messed up. No wonder why we look at Rmoney like he has 3 eyeballs. He probably was actually considered conservative in your state. Talk about a good way to discourage out of towners from bringing economic value to your state.

Origanalist
10-23-2012, 09:18 AM
He probably was actually considered conservative in your state.

And people wonder why the term "Yankee" is considered a derogatory term in some places.