PDA

View Full Version : is Fox really going to broadcast a baseball game instead of the debate?

cindy25
10-21-2012, 10:07 PM
this could seriously effect viewership of the debate

brandon
10-21-2012, 10:10 PM
I haven't heard about this, but I'm sure it will be more interesting than the debate. Is it the world series?

pauljmccain
10-21-2012, 10:11 PM
affect.

Go Cards.

belian78
10-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Whew! If I missed the Cards locking down the NLCS due to that crap I'd be pissed.

Brian4Liberty
10-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Priority is airing the Giants victory tomorrow!

Keith and stuff
10-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Are you talking about a local station? It would make sense for a local station to do that. It wouldn't make sense for Fox News or Fox Business (or whatever it is called) to do that.

sailingaway
10-21-2012, 10:28 PM
I think that is wonderful, and odd, for Fox to have its priorities straight.

brandon
10-21-2012, 10:33 PM
I think that is wonderful, and odd, for Fox to have its priorities straight.

Fox is subsidiary of the public company News Corp. Their priority is to please their stakeholders. They make their decisions based on maximizing profits, just like all the other media outlets. It's not odd or wonderful. It's just a corporation doing what corporations do.

angelatc
10-21-2012, 10:36 PM
I hope I don'[t have to watch this one. The others were bad, but this is foreign policy. Drink when someone says Israel!

cindy25
10-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Fox has the right to broadcast what they wish. the CW does not broadcast the debates. but Fox and the other big 3 postponed all their other shows because of the debates.

there is no reason why the baseball game could not be postponed until Tuesday.

brandon
10-21-2012, 10:39 PM
If MLB postponed one of their games or even tried to work their schedule around politics it would ruin everything that's great about baseball in my opinion. And I'm only a casual fan. Baseball goes on, political theater be damned.

cindy25
10-21-2012, 10:50 PM
baseball has a highly Republican demo (older white male); it could have an effect not only on the pres race but also the house and senate

Son of Detroit
10-21-2012, 10:55 PM

Why should the MLB care about the debate?

juleswin
10-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Choices m8, with 3 other free TV stations playing the debate, what difference would a 4th channel make? I say bravo to FOX channel if they go ahead with it. WTH, I might even watch my TV this Tuesday :)

Rudeman
10-22-2012, 01:38 AM
Good, at least something decent will be on during the debate (even though I dislike both teams). The game/debate is today (Monday) right?

LibertyEagle
10-22-2012, 02:12 AM
I hope I don'[t have to watch this one. The others were bad, but this is foreign policy. Drink when someone says Israel!

ROFL

idiom
10-22-2012, 02:52 AM
Fox is subsidiary of the public company News Corp. Their priority is to please their stakeholders. They make their decisions based on maximizing profits, just like all the other media outlets. It's not odd or wonderful. It's just a corporation doing what corporations do.

Some outlets like the BBC and Al Jazzera are publicly funded and can concentrate on having quality content.

Miguel
10-22-2012, 02:58 AM
The game might be rain delayed & postponed till tuesday

nobody's_hero
10-22-2012, 03:06 AM
Damn, if this is true, it means that even Fox News thinks the foreign policy debate is going to be a disaster for Mitt Romney.

thoughtomator
10-22-2012, 03:16 AM
Since we're in that delicate phase when the smart people know the Benghazi incident was the result of the USA running weapons to Al-Qaeda in Syria, and the elites think the rubes don't know that, the debate will be nothing more than one long string of tag-team lies from the both of them.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
10-22-2012, 06:45 AM
Fox has the right to broadcast what they wish. the CW does not broadcast the debates. but Fox and the other big 3 postponed all their other shows because of the debates.

No, whomever scheduled the debates KNEW the possible schedules of the American & National League Championship Series well in advance. They also knew that there's something called Monday Night Football. Scheduling the third debate for a Monday night (when the next night is completely free of any sports conflicts) is absolutely mind-boggling.

Plus, Fox has a contract with MLB to televise the NLCS.

And, postponing the game for a debate takes on a lot of implications that are not good. Plus, the World Series is already scheduled to go until Nov.1, assuming a 7 game Series. MLB does not want the World Series to extend past Halloween as it is... (there are many things baseball could do to ensure that, but this is neither the time nor the place to discuss that.)

Thing also, I bet 5-8%, if not more, of the electorate has already voted.

RonPaulFanInGA
10-22-2012, 06:47 AM
affect.

Go Cards.

Here's hoping the undeserving 88-win Cardinals lose via an infield fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwc5xMAwN_U

acptulsa
10-22-2012, 06:50 AM
Good, at least something decent will be on during the debate (even though I dislike both teams).

Yeah, I was never too fond of the Demopublicans or the Republicrats either.

belian78
10-22-2012, 08:44 AM
Here's hoping the undeserving 88-win Cardinals lose via an infield fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwc5xMAwN_U
Will it eat you up inside when they win it all, again? :D

seraphson
10-22-2012, 09:56 AM
this could seriously effect viewership of the debate

When half the country knows more shit about their favorite team's lineup than who their local politicians are you know you have a problem.

green73
10-22-2012, 09:59 AM

Profits = Pleased customers.

Brian4Liberty
10-22-2012, 12:55 PM
The game might be rain delayed & postponed till tuesday

It's clearing. And there's always Monday Night Football! ;)

Brian4Liberty
10-22-2012, 12:57 PM
baseball has a highly Republican demo (older white male); it could have an effect not only on the pres race but also the house and senate

What in the world are we going to see in this debate that is not expected?

Todd
10-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Doesn't matter what they broadcast. Sports or the final POTUS debate. Two games where the players are the only winners and the best thing the fans and spectatorsare the losers and they only thing we get is beer and chili cheese fries.

(that is they should sell beer and chili cheese fries at debates)
:D

devil21
10-22-2012, 01:35 PM
The debate timing definitely is suspect with the other sporting events airing at the same time. How few people will watch O and R fight to the death over who gets to kiss Israel's butt more?

Zippyjuan
10-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Let's see. Two events- both the last in their series and both live. One event can be seen on multiple other outlets. One either on Fox or not seen at all. One- the Debate- will likely not impact the end result of who wins the election. The other- the Championship Series WILL decide who moves on for a shot at the title. Making no claim that baseball is more important than politics but I think Fox made the right choice. I will be working anyways so won't be watching either.

cajuncocoa
10-22-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm guessing everyone knows that the FOX Network showing the baseball game is not FOXNews, right? Owned by the same company, but different. I'm sure FOXNews will still have the debate.

DeMintConservative
10-22-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm guessing everyone knows that the FOX Network showing the baseball game is not FOXNews, right? Owned by the same company, but different. I'm sure FOXNews will still have the debate.

Thanks, I was going to write this.

Anyway, with game 7, MNF and foreign policy being the topic, I expect the audience in this debate to be much smaller.

FSP-Rebel
10-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Or, the Tigers manhandle them and become the next MLB dynasty replacing the Yanks. We be hot!

thehungarian
10-22-2012, 02:33 PM
affect.

Go Cards.

Ban him.

NIU Students for Liberty
10-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Or, the Tigers manhandle them and become the next MLB dynasty replacing the Yanks. We be hot!

Considering the Tigers won the Central Division by only 3 games over a team (Sox) that that was predicted to lose 95 games, I wouldn't count on a dynasty just yet.

emazur
10-22-2012, 03:24 PM
You can watch the baseball game w/o audio and listen to the debate at the same time (picture in picture, or 2 tvs, or PC + TV, or TV + radio)

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-22-2012, 03:59 PM
You can watch the baseball game w/o audio and listen to the debate at the same time (picture in picture, or 2 tvs, or PC + TV, or TV + radio)

Makes more sense for the debate to have no audio.

RonPaulFanInGA
10-23-2012, 11:06 AM

Cardinals lose, and their season ended with their last out being an infield fly. Perfect. :D

https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/260587478703034369

belian78
10-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Cardinals lose, and their season ended with their last out being an infield fly. Perfect. :D

https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/260587478703034369
LOL I wasn't able to watch the game, but from the watch live app I have, it didn't seem StL was ever in that game last night.

Zippyjuan
10-23-2012, 12:27 PM
I caught most of the third inning during my lunch- all one needed to watch. By the time I had to go back to work it was 6-0, bases loaded and only one out. I think Bruce Bochy is a great manager- he was skipper here in San Diego and was able to get a lot out of the limited players he had to work with. Now he has a much bigger budget roster.