PDA

View Full Version : San Onofre: Our Fukashima?

presence
10-21-2012, 03:24 PM
The continuous operation of the steam generators is essential in keeping the nuclear reactors cool. Nuclear fission creates massive amounts of heat which is used to create steam which, under massive pressure, is used to create electricity. The steam generators must keep the temperatures to a containable level. Considering NRC's own damning data, re-starting the two reactors without, again, replacing the four steam generators, puts southern California at extreme risk of its own Fukushima style disaster.

The forty-two year-old Unit Two, designed to last forty years, was closed this past January when severe malfunctions were detected in one of the recently replaced "steam generators" in Unit Three. These four steam generators (two per reactor) had been replaced slightly more than a year before at a cost of $700 million. Despite Edison's public announcement that these would last another forty years, these had already failed. The previous steam generators, removed through the concrete dome of each reactor, had served without a similar malfunctions for the previous life of the plant.

http://www.opednews.com/articles/MELT-DOWN--Corporate-Gre-by-Brett-Redmayne-Tit-121020-129.html

Anti Federalist
10-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Hot loop heat exchanger failures?

Probably made in China...

jtstellar
10-21-2012, 06:39 PM
70% of the stuff manufactured in US would never be found in china, but i am pretty sure the bottom 20% could. making excuses for the whole 100% of it is retarded. failed companies need to fail, be it because they lose to their chinese competitor or whatever. hope you aren't saying the producers of large pile of junks at detroit via courtesy of GM and other crap companies there deserved bailout. go bankrupt please, go go go.

Anti Federalist
10-21-2012, 07:41 PM
70% of the stuff manufactured in US would never be found in china, but i am pretty sure the bottom 20% could. making excuses for the whole 100% of it is retarded. failed companies need to fail, be it because they lose to their chinese competitor or whatever. hope you aren't saying the producers of large pile of junks at detroit via courtesy of GM and other crap companies there deserved bailout. go bankrupt please, go go go.

I'm saying we couldn't make a high pressure 440 grade stainless steel heat exchanger here in this country anymore.

We built Fukishima, but when parts to repair it were required, we couldn't do it, because we have neither the tooling nor the manpower with experience anymore. The places that did are mostly weed filled empty lots now.

That applies to a great many industrial processes necessary to the independence of a nation.

And that's a big fucking problem.

Just shouting for glee that it all goes bankrupt is not a suitable answer.

FindLiberty
10-21-2012, 07:46 PM
Yikes.

Koz
10-21-2012, 08:16 PM
I used to live 5 miles from San O. We used to surf right in front of the power plan two or three times a week.

Lafayette
10-21-2012, 08:56 PM
If the giant boobies had a melt down, the entire 1s Marine Division would get super powers!

The plant is literally a mile away from the the Marine Corps base

http://a.scpr.org/i/3e6e1750cff59a3eb5df15783a0f0939/36276-six.jpg

Carson
10-21-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm saying we couldn't make a high pressure 440 grade stainless steel heat exchanger here in this country anymore.

We built Fukishima, but when parts to repair it were required, we couldn't do it, because we have neither the tooling nor the manpower with experience anymore. The places that did are mostly weed filled empty lots now.

That applies to a great many industrial processes necessary to the independence of a nation.

Did you read in the article something about 440 grade stainless?

I'm thinking that 440 grade is heat treatable but will also rust.

I remember reading or hearing that in order to create weapons grade material running a power reactor slow or in out-of-service worked better. That thing was also shut down. I have know idea if an was ever mined out of the reactor it is just something I was watching.

All and all I think we've been pretty lucky with them as neighbors at least while I was down there...at least as far as I know.

+

Anti Federalist
10-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Did you read in the article something about 440 grade stainless?

I'm thinking that 440 grade is heat treatable but will also rust.

I remember reading or hearing that in order to create weapons grade material running a power reactor slow or in out-of-service worked better. That thing was also shut down. I have know idea if an was ever mined out of the reactor it is just something I was watching.

All and all I think we've been pretty lucky with them as neighbors at least while I was down there...at least as far as I know.

+

I'm thinking that 440 grade is used because the 316 is too brittle for such an application, especially after years of neutron bombardment.

I read that somewhere IIRC.

Regardless, even if it's 316 high chrome marine grade, we still don't have the capabilities to make one here anymore.

Maybe one of our resident nuke experts can comment on the heat exchanger material used.

jtstellar
10-21-2012, 10:21 PM

and our engineering ingenuity from the ages of industrial revolution certainly didn't come the ways of people shouting and 'gleeing' "bail us out". what's your plan, start a government school responsible for teaching all the engineers, cap engineers like they cap doctors to give the industry a prestige and encourage people to go into it and put a price control while at it, then put out government factories so government engineers can work there? you would at least be more than happy to vote romney then. heck, that's probably more than he would commit. or even obama, in that case.

alucard13mmfmj
10-21-2012, 10:28 PM
I used to drive by that power plant every weekend. Los Angeles to/from San Diego.

I like to drive down that 7-10 mile stretch of relatively empty coastal part of the 5 freeway.

Anti Federalist
10-21-2012, 10:37 PM
and our engineering ingenuity from the ages of industrial revolution certainly didn't come the ways of people shouting and 'gleeing' "bail us out". what's your plan, start a government school responsible for teaching all the engineers, cap engineers like they cap doctors to give the industry a prestige and encourage people to go into it and put a price control while at it, then put out government factories so government engineers can work there? you would at least be more than happy to vote romney then. heck, that's probably more than he would commit. or even obama, in that case.

Of course not.

The answers I have have all been posted before.

None of them involve bail outs or salary caps.

But go ahead, cheer for all to fail.

Just don't scratch your head when people right on this board can't find a job in four years.