PDA

View Full Version : Higher-than-average Tide Event Flooding Miami

presence
10-21-2012, 07:42 AM
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/10/17/rising-water-cause-flood-of-trouble-on-miami-beach/

For a third day in row there were flooded streets in parts of Miami Beach, but there was nary a raindrop in sight.

The water came from the annual autumnal high tides which cause canals, rivers and coastlines to flood without any rain.

http://news.wfsu.org/post/fla-scientists-local-leaders-ask-next-president-will-you-help-fight-climate-change

Miami Beach city engineer Rick Saltrick said, it’s not just high tides causing the rising water. “We’re seeing a long-term trend with sea levels rising,
[]
“It almost feels like local governments are the grown-ups here and those on the federal side are still the children because they’re still bickering about whether or not these issues are real,
[]
So when the city recently proposed its new 20-year storm water plan, he said, a big chunk of the $200 million in proposed upgrades to the system, is to account for the steadily rising ocean. Many projects are already underway. On Purdy Avenue, a crew is drilling into the ground to install one of 17 pumps the city’s put in since 2005. They only had two pumps before that. Around the corner, another work crew is building a higher sea wall. And all new pipes will be wider to drain water more quickly.

ronpaulfollower999
10-21-2012, 07:59 AM
Florida sinking into the ocean wouldn't be a bad thing....

coastie
10-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Florida sinking into the ocean wouldn't be a bad thing....

Oh, thanks.:rolleyes:

Normal tides here in Panama City Beach, just got back from walking on the beach.

ronpaulfollower999
10-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Oh, thanks.:rolleyes:

Normal tides here in Panama City Beach, just got back from walking on the beach.

:p

I like Florida north of I-4. It's South Florida I don't like.

Aratus
10-21-2012, 08:46 AM
i thiught the header to the story was metaphoric, and mister mitt romney was about to take
charge of and reclaim miami beach quicker than i can opine on all of jackie gleason's tv shows