PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul’s Tight-fisted Campaign

0zzy
11-20-2007, 03:38 AM
Voters looking for a candidate who will be tight with their money might have found their man in Ron Paul, if campaign spending is any indication. At the moment, Mr. Paul, a Texas congressman who is seeking the Republican presidential nomination, is rolling in cash. He already had raised $5 million this year when a one-day Internet drive tied to Guy Fawkes Day on Nov. 5 brought in another $4 million.

Yet, spending is another matter. As of earlier this month, Mr. Paul’s campaign had spent only 46 cents for every dollar raised, compared to most campaigns that spend whatever comes in. Where other campaigns freely give out yard signs, posters and other handouts, the Paul campaign tells supporters to make their own or buy them from the campaign — at cost.

Originally, this was born of necessity as Mr. Paul started out in January with just $25,000. But it has since helped generate grass roots involvement by supporters, who design and print up their own Paul promotions. Even a large pro-Paul billboard strategically placed outside the Des Moines airport was designed and paid for by a supporter, not the campaign.

“They call us and say, ‘Can you send me 20,000 handouts,’ ” said Kent Snyder, campaign chairman. “I tell them we can’t afford it and to do whatever they want.”

The campaign has been running television advertisements in New Hampshire, and more media spending is on the way. Supporters, though, have another one-day Internet fund-raiser planned for next month.
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/20/ron-pauls-tight-fisted-campaign/

purplechoe
11-20-2007, 03:51 AM
that's my boy... :D