PDA

View Full Version : SETBACK FOR SECRET BIG BROTHER DATABASE

sailingaway
10-19-2012, 06:46 PM
The federal government has been told by a judge to start producing copies of documents in an open government case brought by the Electronic Privacy Information Center over a nationwide plan to integrate within the government a comprehensive database about Americans.

The organization confirmed in a statement today that the order involves its case against the Office of Director of National Intelligence, in which EPIC wants information about Washington’s strategy to integrate databases inside the government “without the legal safeguards typically in place for personal data.”

The court ordered the agency to disclose the procedures it has establish to safeguard privacy rights, EPIC said.

The lawsuit wants information from the office, an executive branch operation under the control of the Obama White House, about its plan to collect database information about Americans from the CIA, the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security.

EPIC, which for nearly 20 years has focused its attention on the civil liberties, privacy, First Amendment and constitutional issues related to electronic data, said under Washington’s revised guidelines, “The ODNI plans to obtain and integrate databases containing detailed personal information from across the federal government.

“The data will be kept for up to five years without the legal safeguards typically in place for personal data held by government agencies,” the organization explained.

The complaint was filed under the Freedom of Information Act after the Obama administration didn’t respond to questions from the group about how it plans to collect personal data “from across the federal government” and how the privacy of Americans will be protected.

more: http://www.wnd.com/2012/10/setback-for-secret-big-brother-database/

LibForestPaul
10-19-2012, 07:10 PM
oh god, epic. so now we are going to have a database sooner rather than later.
epic, as good to liberty as the Mets are to baseball.

Anti Federalist
10-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Somebody help me out here.

What is that personal dossier that the ChiComs keep on every citizen called?

Anti Federalist
10-19-2012, 07:28 PM
The court ordered the agency to disclose the procedures it has establish to safeguard privacy rights, EPIC said.

This chaps my ass.

The proper response is: "We don't care what kind of policy you have in place, you have no right to collect and catalog this information, we are suing to have it immediately and permanently deleted, in addition to criminal civil rights violations charges to be brought against the persons responsible for this".

Carson
10-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Make them show warrants!

sailingaway
10-19-2012, 08:04 PM
This chaps my ass.

The proper response is: "We don't care what kind of policy you have in place, you have no right to collect and catalog this information, we are suing to have it immediately and permanently deleted, in addition to criminal civil rights violations charges to be brought against the persons responsible for this".

Yeah, that was my feeling too. Why are they just concerned about privacy, not the collection to begin with?

Cleaner44
10-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Yeah, that was my feeling too. Why are they just concerned about privacy, not the collection to begin with?

Much like an audit of the Fed, this type of action could set off a series of steps that help a bigger goal.

liberty2897
10-19-2012, 08:25 PM
“The data will be kept for up to five years without the legal safeguards typically in place for personal data held by government agencies,” the organization explained.

Sounds like the current administration plans to keep on going for another term... Not that it really makes any difference which one we get. Ever since the Patriot act that came about right after 9/11 with Bush in office, I don't believe any of these m***g a***oles regarding time limits for big-brother databases. They will keep on taking our liberties away until we have no recourse. I think we may have already moved beyond that point.... I know, if you aren't a "person of interest", you have nothing to fear... or do you?

“I have no fear that the result of our experiment will be that men may be trusted to govern themselves without a master.”

“Whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government...”

-Thomas Jefferson

(as far as I know... I looked it up on the internets)