PDA

View Full Version : O' the horror. Three sailboats in 24 hours.

Anti Federalist
10-19-2012, 01:41 PM
No where to run.

No where to hide.

Any free square inch of earth's surface, the second it becomes available, will be covered with swarms of cops and "enforcement".

Oh, and "mysterious targets" my aching ass. Any commercial vessel will have a mandatory AIS transponder and a GMDSS LRIT transponder on it, required by UN law.

Everybody in the whole fucking world knows exactly which ship it is, where it came from, where it's going, who's on board and how fast it's getting there.

In a warming Arctic, U.S. faces new security and safety concerns

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-arctic-security-20121019,0,3772500.story?track=lat-pick

BARROW, Alaska — In past years, these remote gray waters of the Alaskan Arctic saw little more than the occasional cargo barge and Eskimo whaling boat. No more.

This summer, when the U.S. Coast Guard cutter Bertholf was monitoring shipping traffic along the desolate tundra coast, its radar displays were often brightly lighted with mysterious targets.

There were oil drilling rigs, research vessels, fuel barges, small cruise ships. A few were sailboats that had ventured through the Northwest Passage above Canada. On a single day in August, 95 ships were detected between Prudhoe Bay and Wainwright off America's least defended coastline, and for some of them, Coast Guard officials had no idea what the vessels were carrying or who was on them.

"There's probably 1,500 people out there," Rear Adm. Thomas P. Ostebo, commander of the Coast Guard's 17th District in Alaska, said at a recent conference of Arctic policymakers near Anchorage. "It's kind of spinning a little bit out of control."

The rapid melting of the polar ice cap is turning the once ice-clogged waters off northern Alaska into a navigable ocean, and the rush to grab the region's abundant oil and mineral resources by way of new shipping lanes is posing safety and security concerns for Coast Guard patrols.

What happens if a cruise ship gets stranded in stray ice? Or if a sailing vessel capsizes off an uninhabited coast?

"Yesterday, we saw three sailing vessels in 24 hours," said the Bertholf's commander, Capt. Thomas E. Crabbs.

The Coast Guard this summer ran Arctic Shield, the most extensive patrol operation it has ever mounted in the Arctic. It set up a temporary operating base and remote communications station at Barrow.

A fleet of cutters, buoy tenders, helicopters and boarding vessels deployed across the Beaufort, Chukchi and Bering seas to oversee new offshore oil drilling operations offers search-and-rescue if needed and provides notice to burgeoning ship traffic that the U.S. is monitoring its northernmost border.

The rush for riches as Russia, Norway and Canada vie with the U.S. for the Arctic's mineral resources, and the possibility that drug dealers, arms merchants and terrorists could begin to explore transport routes near America's largest oil fields have prompted the U.S. military to begin planning for a future in the Arctic much more substantial than it had envisioned.

The U.S. Naval War College last year conducted war games simulating the sinking of a ship carrying weapons of mass destruction from North Africa to Asia across the top of Canada and Alaska.

The Air Force has been practicing how to make food and survival gear drops to survivors of a large plane crash in the unbelievably remote Brooks Range, north of Fairbanks.

The North American Aerospace Defense Command, known as NORAD, already has gone beyond drills: F-15 fighters have been launched on interceptions at least 50 times during the last five years in response to Russian long-range bombers — not previously seen here since the Cold War — which have been provocatively skirting the edges of U.S. airspace.

Through it all, U.S. security forces are battling historically sketchy radio communications, vicious storms, shifting ice floes and huge distances from base: Coast Guard cutters must sail 1,200 miles south just to take on food and refuel.

"All of the uniqueness of operating up in the Arctic represents huge challenges for us," said Royal Canadian Air Force Col. Dan Constable, deputy commander of NORAD's Alaska region.

The Naval War College games in September 2011 were an early test, and not an encouraging one. Many of the scenarios rehearsed, former Navy Cmdr. Christopher Gray said, ran into problems with poor communications and trouble maintaining supplies of food, fuel and supplies.

"Does the Navy have the ability to go up and operate a number of ships, a number of aircraft, for a sustained period of time in this environment, where it's cold, it's got bad weather, it's got a lot of ice, and it's really far away from everything that supports you? What we found is that the answer is, not really," Gray said.

nobody's_hero
10-19-2012, 01:47 PM
The Air Force has been practicing how to make food and survival gear drops to survivors of a large plane crash in the unbelievably remote Brooks Range, north of Fairbanks.

Why did they wait until the plane crashed to start practicing?

acptulsa
10-19-2012, 01:53 PM
'This summer, when the U.S. Coast Guard cutter Bertholf was monitoring shipping traffic along the desolate tundra coast, its radar displays were often brightly lighted with mysterious targets.'

If it's 'mysterious', how the @#$% do you know it's a 'target'?!

Acala
10-19-2012, 01:53 PM
"So here is the plan, Allah willing. We borrow Akmed's brother's camel and we ride it 5000 miles across Mongolia and Siberia to the Bearing Strait, towing our Sunfish. Then we sail across the strait, attacking the Great Satan on its unprotected northern flank. The weeping and gnashing of teeth will be music to Allah's ears when we exact our terrible vengeance on the salmon fisheries."

Origanalist
10-19-2012, 01:57 PM
"So here is the plan, Allah willing. We borrow Akmed's brother's camel and we ride it 5000 miles across Mongolia and Siberia to the Bearing Strait, towing our Sunfish. Then we sail across the strait, attacking the Great Satan on its unprotected northern flank. The weeping and gnashing of teeth will be music to Allah's ears when we exact our terrible vengeance on the salmon fisheries."

Brilliant! Peace be upon you, may all your goats be fertile. They will never know what hit them.

Origanalist
10-19-2012, 02:00 PM
"It's kind of spinning a little bit out of control."

A authoritarians worst nightmare.

acptulsa
10-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Allah be praised! Now where do we find parkas in this desert?

Origanalist
10-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Allah be praised! Now where do we find parkas in this desert?

Take the hide of three large goats, tan them and sew feathers of seabirds into the lining.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-19-2012, 02:22 PM
What happens if a cruise ship gets stranded in stray ice? Or if a sailing vessel capsizes off an uninhabited coast?

What happens if you close your eyes and try to run across a 10 lane highway? Stupid questions... unneeded, both of them.

It's a target to them because they aren't controlling it or giving permission. Yeah, I know you know that. I just wanted to say it, that's all.

coastie
10-19-2012, 02:38 PM
In a warming Arctic, U.S. faces new security and safety concerns

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-arctic-security-20121019,0,3772500.story?track=lat-pick

BARROW, Alaska — In past years, these remote gray waters of the Alaskan Arctic saw little more than the occasional cargo barge and Eskimo whaling boat. No more.

This summer, when the U.S. Coast Guard cutter Bertholf was monitoring shipping traffic along the desolate tundra coast, its radar displays were often brightly lighted with mysterious targets.

There were oil drilling rigs, research vessels, fuel barges, small cruise ships. A few were sailboats that had ventured through the Northwest Passage above Canada. On a single day in August, 95 ships were detected between Prudhoe Bay and Wainwright off America's least defended coastline, and for some of them, Coast Guard officials had no idea what the vessels were carrying or who was on them.

"There's probably 1,500 people out there," Rear Adm. Thomas P. Ostebo, commander of the Coast Guard's 17th District in Alaska, said at a recent conference of Arctic policymakers near Anchorage. "It's kind of spinning a little bit out of control."

Newsflash, Admiral! Your service consists of ~35,000 personnel-and they can't even handle what they have to do now. Personal experience actually doing this shit-unlike yourself.;)

...What happens if a cruise ship gets stranded in stray ice? Or if a sailing vessel capsizes off an uninhabited coast?

Lets see here...they die? I'll bet it would be less deaths in a decade up there than what we kill everyday everywhere else on the planet.

"Yesterday, we saw three sailing vessels in 24 hours," said the Bertholf's commander, Capt. Thomas E. Crabbs.

:eek::toady::eek: TERRORISTS!!! :eek::toady::eek:

The U.S. Naval War College last year conducted war games simulating the sinking of a ship carrying weapons of mass destruction from North Africa to Asia across the top of Canada and Alaska.

:rolleyes:

The North American Aerospace Defense Command, known as NORAD, already has gone beyond drills: F-15 fighters have been launched on interceptions at least 50 times during the last five years in response to Russian long-range bombers — not previously seen here since the Cold War — which have been provocatively skirting the edges of U.S. airspace.

WTF? Are you fucking kidding me? How many countries are we in-on Russia's border??? We're at war right to the south of them, and in every fucking country on it's goddamned border, we have military bases. Who's being "provocative" here?

Through it all, U.S. security forces are battling historically sketchy radio communications, vicious storms, shifting ice floes and huge distances from base: Coast Guard cutters must sail 1,200 miles south just to take on food and refuel.

NEWSFLASH, MORON-the "terrorists" have to get through those logistics as well.

"All of the uniqueness of operating up in the Arctic represents huge challenges for us," said Royal Canadian Air Force Col. Dan Constable, deputy commander of NORAD's Alaska region.

Understatement of the year.

The Naval War College games in September 2011 were an early test, and not an encouraging one. Many of the scenarios rehearsed, former Navy Cmdr. Christopher Gray said, ran into problems with poor communications and trouble maintaining supplies of food, fuel and supplies.

"Does the Navy have the ability to go up and operate a number of ships, a number of aircraft, for a sustained period of time in this environment, where it's cold, it's got bad weather, it's got a lot of ice, and it's really far away from everything that supports you? What we found is that the answer is, not really," Gray said.

Any attacker would face the SAME EXACT LOGISTICAL CHALLENGES we would-with the added disadvantage of not having ANY access to almost all of the support needed for a trip like that. Seeing as how we spend TRILLIONS of dollars more on "defense" than anyone on Earth-and we couldn't pull it off, what the fuck makes them think anyone else could?

Holy stupid this makes my head hurt.

Anti Federalist
10-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention.

With regard to "mysterious targets" on the radar...the only "mysterious targets" would be the government vessels.

Because, of course, they are exempt from the "Big Brother" tracking device requirements.

specsaregood
10-19-2012, 02:54 PM
./

Anti Federalist
10-19-2012, 02:56 PM

Allahu Akbar!!

TokenLibertarianGuy
10-19-2012, 03:00 PM
'This summer, when the U.S. Coast Guard cutter Bertholf was monitoring shipping traffic along the desolate tundra coast, its radar displays were often brightly lighted with mysterious targets.'

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/28645047.jpg

KCIndy
10-19-2012, 03:04 PM

If they ain't FER us, they's AGAINST us, dammit!!

AGRP
10-19-2012, 03:12 PM
What about the 3 rouge planes around 10 years ago that these same type of people were told not to care about?

mad cow
10-19-2012, 03:14 PM
It's hard to believe that's not satire.It sure reads like satire.Lord help us.

Pericles
10-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Allahu Akbar!!

ululululululululululul!

coastie
10-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention.

With regard to "mysterious targets" on the radar...the only "mysterious targets" would be the government vessels.

Because, of course, they are exempt from the "Big Brother" tracking device requirements.

Actually, no, they are not.;) There was much bitching among the small boat units when it was mandated for all CG small boats because they would no longer be able to just hang out at the local marina instead of actually doing a patrol.:eek::cool:

Origanalist
10-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Newsflash, Admiral! Your service consists of ~35,000 personnel-and they can't even handle what they have to do now. Personal experience actually doing this shit-unlike yourself.;)

Lets see here...they die? I'll bet it would be less deaths in a decade up there than what we kill everyday everywhere else on the planet.

:eek::toady::eek: TERRORISTS!!! :eek::toady::eek:

:rolleyes:

WTF? Are you fucking kidding me? How many countries are we in-on Russia's border??? We're at war right to the south of them, and in every fucking country on it's goddamned border, we have military bases. Who's being "provocative" here?

NEWSFLASH, MORON-the "terrorists" have to get through those logistics as well.

Understatement of the year.

Any attacker would face the SAME EXACT LOGISTICAL CHALLENGES we would-with the added disadvantage of not having ANY access to almost all of the support needed for a trip like that. Seeing as how we spend TRILLIONS of dollars more on "defense" than anyone on Earth-and we couldn't pull it off, what the fuck makes them think anyone else could?

Holy stupid this makes my head hurt.

Next time don't hold back so much, tell us how you really feel.

Anti Federalist
10-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Actually, no, they are not.;) There was much bitching among the small boat units when it was mandated for all CG small boats because they would no longer be able to just hang out at the local marina instead of actually doing a patrol.:eek::cool:

Really?

Well, they must be turning the fuckers off or something, 'cos I've had numerous CG vessels on the radar, with no AIS showing at all.

coastie
10-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Really?

Well, they must be turning the fuckers off or something, 'cos I've had numerous CG vessels on the radar, with no AIS showing at all.

Or, they don't work? WHo knows, it was new to me and just installed on our boats right before I got out, I remember they didn't work correctly all the time.

Report non-AIS to the local CG Station the next time you encounter that...they're not ALL bad, and some CO's live for getting the crews in trouble for something.:D

Anti Federalist
10-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Or, they don't work? WHo knows, it was new to me and just installed on our boats right before I got out, I remember they didn't work correctly all the time.

Report non-AIS to the local CG Station the next time you encounter that...they're not ALL bad, and some CO's live for getting the crews in trouble for something.:D

Hummph....

Let my LRIT go offline, within 15 minutes I've got mutherfucking DC calling me, raising hell.

And to think, I went to sea, thirty two years ago, for the freedom...

I swear, god is fucking with me just for shits and giggles.

Pericles
10-19-2012, 08:38 PM

I have times where I get the same feeling. I'd be OK with a bit less testing of my character, but that is the real test of a person.

coastie
10-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Hummph....

Let my LRIT go offline, within 15 minutes I've got mutherfucking DC calling me, raising hell.

I confirmed that YEARS ago.;)

JK/SEA
10-20-2012, 09:53 AM
damn i love reading threads like this first thing in the morning whilst drinking my spiked coffee. Beats watching re-runs of LOST.

torchbearer
10-20-2012, 09:56 AM
damn i love reading threads like this first thing in the morning whilst drinking my spiked coffee. Beats watching re-runs of LOST.

breakfast of champions. 'bourbon for breakfast' is a really good book written by a fellow of the mises institute. recommend it.

Danke
10-20-2012, 10:48 AM

Yes, see something, say something.

Hummph....

AF can run sail, but he can't hide.