PDA

View Full Version : Obama accuses Romney of suffering from Romnesia.

torchbearer
10-19-2012, 11:35 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/19/romnesia_n_1987800.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

FAIRFAX, Va. -- At a misty rally designed to gin up enthusiasm among women voters, President Barack Obama's strongest riff was a mockery of Mitt Romney's effort to showcase a more moderate front, coining the tactical shift as a case of "Romnesia."
From his remarks midday Friday on the campus of George Mason University:

We have got to name this condition he is going through. I think it is called Romnesia. I think that's what it is called. Now I'm not a medical doctor. But I do want to go over some of the symptoms with you because I want to make sure nobody else catches it. If you say you're for equal pay for equal work but you keep refusing to say whether or not you will sign a bill that protects equal pay for equal work, you might have Romnesia.
If you say women should have access to contraceptive care, but you support legislation that would let employers deny contraceptive care, you might have a case of Romnesia.
If you say you will protect a women's right to choose but you stand up in a primary debate and say you'd be delighted to sign a law outlawing that right to choose in all cases, then you have definitely got Romnesia.

Obama went through a number of other so-called cases, including tax cuts and the coal industry. The neologism got hearty laughs and applause, especially as the president informed the crowd that the condition was covered under his health care law.
"If you come down with a case of Romnesia and you can't seem to remember the policies that are still on your website, or the promises you have made over the six years you've been running for president, here is the good news: Obamacare covers pre-existing conditions," Obama bellowed. "We can fix you up. We've got a cure. We can make you well."

The length of time it took to mock Romney on these grounds is, in part, a reflection of how caught off guard the Obama campaign was by the governor's shift. The first attack line, following the first presidential debate, was to call Romney a great actor hiding a conservative underside, while the second centered around painting Romney as inherently unserious (cut Big Bird?).
The Romnesia line (the campaign confirmed the spelling) hits Romney as a political opportunist. It contrasts slightly with the months-long effort to paint him as the "severe conservative" he claimed he was in that it implies Romney is devoid of principle. But it doesn't completely contradict it (you can argue that Romney would revert to his conservative self under the political pressure of congressional Republicans if elected).
The event drew 9,000 people, according to campaign officials. The main effort was to further drive a wedge between Romney and women voters. And Obama did his best to do that outside of the Romnesia riff as well, charging the Republican nominee with being a relic of the 1950s.
"Governor Romney wants to take us to policies more suited to the 1950s," he said earlier in the speech. "Even his own running mate said he's kind of a throwback to the 50s. That's one thing we agree on. But he may not have noticed, we are in the 21st century."

UPDATE: 1:10 p.m. -- The Romney campaign responds, with a statement from delegate Barbara Comstock.
“Women haven’t forgotten how we’ve suffered over the last four years in the Obama economy with higher taxes, higher unemployment, and record levels of poverty," the statement reads. "President Obama has failed to put forward a second-term agenda – and when you don’t have a plan to run on, you stoop to scare tactics. What is really frightening is that we know a second term for President Obama will bring devastating defense cuts that will cost Virginia over 130,000 jobs, more burdensome regulations, and the biggest tax increase in history on our small businesses and families. Mitt Romney’s plan for a stronger middle class will create 12 million new jobs and provide greater opportunity for women across our nation, including Virginia. Mitt Romney is the candidate in this race who will bring us the real recovery we need."

(i'm expecting yo' momma jokes at next debate)

VBRonPaulFan
10-19-2012, 02:44 PM
hahaha @ Romnesia. that's great.

torchbearer
10-19-2012, 04:12 PM

DamianTV
10-19-2012, 04:13 PM
What do you expect from a "Mitthole" like Romney?

acptulsa
10-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Well, I guess I have Romnesia myself, then. Because there are a whole lot of things I believe in, but I don't believe passing more laws to be the way to bring them to pass.

torchbearer
10-19-2012, 04:20 PM
I don't understand why the GOP would pick a rominee who is a complete mitthole with romnesia.

torchbearer
10-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Well, I guess I have Romnesia myself, then. Because there are a whole lot of things I believe in, but I don't believe passing more laws to be the way to bring them to pass.

Do you have 9 different positions on abortion?
http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/a-mitt-romney-abortion-timeline

acptulsa
10-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Do you have 9 different positions on abortion?

lulz no. Just a late, knee-jerk reaction to the way people during the primaries (an before) saying that because Ron Paul didn't want to pass a few laws and create an additional federal bureau or two to eradicate some pet evil of theirs, Ron Paul must be in favor of that pet evil.

You know. He didn't support the Rosa Parks commemorative medal so he must have been anti-Rosa Parks, for example. At least one of Obama's examples smelled like that to me. Besides, I still like Flip Flopney better.

torchbearer
10-19-2012, 04:31 PM
lulz no. Just a late, knee-jerk reaction to the way people during the primaries (an before) saying that because Ron Paul didn't want to pass a few laws and create an additional federal bureau or two to eradicate some pet evil of theirs, Ron Paul must be in favor of that pet evil.

You know. He didn't support the Rosa Parks commemorative medal so he must have been anti-Rosa Parks, for example. At least one of Obama's examples smelled like that to me. Besides, I still like Flip Flopney better.

I was becoming more and more a conspiracy theorist as Obama has not gone after the glaring hypocrisy that is mitt romney. it would be sole message. mitt has been on everyside and held every position on every policy. He is either a compulsive liar or has romnesia.
Yes, Obama is also a compulsive liar... and I hope Mitt starts letting that rip.
I want this to heat up to a truth telling fest and each telling the american people that his opponent is a piece of shit.

this outburst by obama is a good thing, and its true.

ClydeCoulter
10-19-2012, 04:46 PM
It's difficult for them to tell TOO much truth about the other since it would backfire on them. Besides, they have to keep it at the rhetoric level or else truth would bind them in their future.

torchbearer
10-19-2012, 05:25 PM
It's difficult for them to tell TOO much truth about the other since it would backfire on them. Besides, they have to keep it at the rhetoric level or else truth would bind them in their future.

I can dream, can't I?

Aratus
10-20-2012, 12:01 PM
true...

VBRonPaulFan
10-20-2012, 12:40 PM
I was becoming more and more a conspiracy theorist as Obama has not gone after the glaring hypocrisy that is mitt romney. it would be sole message. mitt has been on everyside and held every position on every policy. He is either a compulsive liar or has romnesia.
Yes, Obama is also a compulsive liar... and I hope Mitt starts letting that rip.
I want this to heat up to a truth telling fest and each telling the american people that his opponent is a piece of shit.

this outburst by obama is a good thing, and its true.

obama's problem with doing that, would be that Mitt could counter right back that Obama has done much of the same thing on quite a few issues as well.

Aratus
10-20-2012, 12:56 PM
FRONTLINE has recently come out with its show that timelines our two major POTUS contenders. my braincells were again jogged back to 1994!
there were at least two or three issues where mitt romney even tried to go to teddy kennedy's left rather deftly!!! mitt's many stances over the
merrie decades have covered the political spectrum. he tends to resemble the youthful rival to frank skeffington in edwin o'conner's LAST HURRAH.

thoughtomator
10-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Obama's no one to talk, he can't remember any salient detail of the last four years of his own Presidency.