PDA

View Full Version : NRA endorses Romney; blankets swing states with mailers after Obama's promisse to ban guns

DeMintConservative
10-18-2012, 03:48 PM
The National Rifle Association, jumping on President Obama's new and firm support for a Clinton-style assault weapons ban, is stepping up its attack on the president in Ohio, Virginia, Florida and Wisconsin with a new "we told you so" theme.

David Keene, president of the NRA, told Secrets, "the president has ratified what we have been saying" in ads and mailings to pro-gun voters. "See, he peeked out and finally said what he wants," said Keene.

(...)

Suggesting a ban not just on semi-automatic weapons like the AR-15 but maybe even handguns, the most popular rifle in America, the president said, "What I'm trying to do is to get a broader conversation about how do we reduce the violence generally. Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced. But part of it is also looking at other sources of the violence. Because frankly, in my hometown of Chicago, there's an awful lot of violence and they're not using AK-47s. They're using cheap handguns."

(...)

"We have credibility when we say that Barack Obama is a threat to your rights. But that credibility is obviously enhanced 10-fold when Barack Obama, in a moment of weakness, says, 'Yeah, as a matter of fact I am.' And that's what he did," said Keene. "This is going to help us."

The NRA is blanketing Ohio, Virginia, Florida and Wisconsin with advocacy mailings and ads, hopeful of persuading the vast majority of pro-gun, non-NRA members to vote for Romney. They made a similar effort during the recent Wisconsin gubernatorial recall effort and several analysts credited the NRA with helping to save Gov. Scott Walker.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/obama-hints-at-handgun-restrictions-too/article/2510993#.UIB41obFIcd

DeMintConservative
10-18-2012, 03:51 PM
The endorsement:
http://nrapvf.org/news-alerts/2012/10/nra-pvf-endorses-romney-and-ryan.aspx

Money quote:

But there’s a clear choice this November. Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan will protect our Right to Keep and Bear Arms by appointing Supreme Court justices who will uphold the rulings in District of Columbia v. Heller and McDonald v. City of Chicago – two landmark cases which held that the Second Amendment guarantees a fundamental, individual Right to Keep and Bear Arms for all law-abiding Americans. Romney and Ryan have also stated their opposition to efforts by the United Nations to implement a global gun-control bureaucracy.

“In this election, there is no debate. There is only one choice – only one hope – to save our firearms freedom and our way of life,” LaPierre continued. “Get to the polls on election day and make the difference in this campaign. Help take back our country and protect our freedom. On November 6, vote freedom first – Vote Romney-Ryan!”

DeMintConservative
10-18-2012, 03:53 PM
New NRA add running on swing states:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssZcyPXOOMY

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/17/nra-sharpens-political-attack-on-obama/

n addition to the NRA's new ad campaign against Obama, the organization has hired political operatives to work in 13 states and expects to have reached 50 million homes through phone calls and direct mail by Election Day. The NRA is expected to spend between $30-$40 million on this election.

Acala
10-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Anyone who votes for Romney because they think he cares about gun rights is not paying attention. The man endorsed some of the most restrictive gun laws in the USA while he was governor. He can be counted on to sign any gun ban legislation that crosses his desk. The NRA sucks.

juleswin
10-18-2012, 04:18 PM
Someone seems excited about this update. Me wonders why

nobody's_hero
10-18-2012, 04:27 PM
The NRA lost credibility with me a long time ago.

The GOA, Jews for Preservation of Firearms ownership, etc. are much stricter 'no-compromise' 2nd amendment lobbying groups.

shane77m
10-18-2012, 04:28 PM
I am glad I am not a member of the NRA.

erowe1
10-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Great. Romney and the NRA are perfect for each other.

NoOneButPaul
10-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Anyone who votes for Romney because they think he cares about gun rights is not paying attention. The man endorsed some of the most restrictive gun laws in the USA while he was governor. He can be counted on to sign any gun ban legislation that crosses his desk. The NRA sucks.

The counter argument to this is when your governor in perhaps the most liberal state in the country stuff like this is going to be outside of your control and sometimes you've got to compromise to get other things done.

I'm in complete agreement with your sentiment but when comparing Romney and Obama there's absolutely no question he's the lesser of two evils.

NoOneButPaul
10-18-2012, 04:38 PM
The NRA lost credibility with me a long time ago.

The GOA, Jews for Preservation of Firearms ownership, etc. are much stricter 'no-compromise' 2nd amendment lobbying groups.

As someone who is a member of the NRA can you expand on this a bit?

One reason I love the NRA so much is if you're caught in a legal situation with your guns they will always provide a free attorney for you...

What did they do to deter you away so much and do things like the GOA offer similar treatments?

nobody's_hero
10-18-2012, 04:43 PM

One reason I love the NRA so much is if you're caught in a legal situation with your guns they will always provide a free attorney for you...

What did they do to deter you away so much and do things like the GOA offer similar treatments?

http://nrawol.net/

There's more information there on the NRA's compromises there than I can shake a stick at.

I think the NRA started out with a great reputation but they've ended up like some of those inefficient 'Cure for Cancer' charity groups.

I mean, if they actually found a cure for cancer, they wouldn't have anything else to do, would they?

And if the NRA went 'all in' and cleaned house in Congress, well . . . same thing.

(edit: although I do agree that the legal fee insurance that comes with being a member of the NRA is quite nice)

Dr. Ron Paul called the GoA "the only no-compromise gun lobby in Washington."
http://gunowners.org/

Anti Federalist
10-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Great choice for gun rights people.

Vote for a guy who says he will ban guns. O-Bomb-ya

Or vote for a guy who did ban guns. Rmoney

No thanks.

Not voting for either.

bunklocoempire
10-18-2012, 05:40 PM
One camp believes the 2nd amendment gives 'backbone' to ones choice for candidate and draws courage from that:
"Vote for one gun grabber because the other gun grabber seems worse? No. Screw that, I'm armed "

The other camp doesn't seem to want to address how their relationship to the 2nd amendment justifies (or not) their choice of candidate other than 'X is better than Y':
"We have to vote for Romney because Obama and his gun grabbing is more likely to disarm us. Voting Romney will preserve our 2nd amendment rights. It's dangerous to have a gun grabber like Obama in office -be afraid -support the lesser of two evils"

There seems to be a disconnect between a truth they claim to believe and their actions. I italicized seems because I have yet to see an explanation other than X is better than Y.

If someone really believes in something, it would seem that they might be able to show how their belief relates to the strategy they push.

If their strategy doesn't reflect their claimed beliefs, then either their actions or their beliefs are bogus.

It's no wonder hunting, self-defense, and 'shooting sports' are emphasized by Obamaney rather than tyranny. Confuse the claimed belief and the strategies pushed become more acceptable. No herd of elk has ever rounded up political prisoners and executed them. No army has ever conquered a neighboring country with only pistols. Skeet shooting isn't an effective method of combat training.

Ron Paul has clearly stated what our 2nd amendment is for, and if one doesn't have the courage to discipline government peacefully, there is little reason to believe that same person will use the 2nd amendment to effect change as a last resort. Self preservation starts with mindset.

Anti Federalist
10-18-2012, 06:02 PM
ROMNEY SIGNS OFF ON PERMANENT ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN

http://web.archive.org/web/20040804033123/http:/www.mass.gov/portal/govPR.jsp?gov_pr=gov_pr_040701_assault_weapons_ban .xml

Legislation also makes improvements to gun licensing system

In a move that will help keep the streets and neighborhoods of Massachusetts safe, Governor Mitt Romney today signed into law a permanent assault weapons ban that forever makes it harder for criminals to get their hands on these dangerous guns.

“Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts,” Romney said, at a bill signing ceremony with legislators, sportsmen’s groups and gun safety advocates. “These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.”

Like the federal assault weapons ban, the state ban, put in place in 1998, was scheduled to expire in September.

The new law ensures these deadly weapons, including AK-47s, UZIs and Mac-10 rifles, are permanently prohibited in Massachusetts no matter what happens on the federal level.

“We are pleased to mark an important victory in the fight against crime,” said Lieutenant Governor Kerry Healey. “The most important job of state government is ensuring public safety. Governor Romney and I are determined to do whatever it takes to stop the flood of dangerous weapons into our cities and towns and to make Massachusetts safer for law-abiding citizens.”

The new law also makes a number of improvements to the current gun licensing system, including:

Extending the term of a firearm identification card and a license to carry firearms from four years to six years;

Granting a 90-day grace period for holders of firearm identification cards and licenses to carry who have applied for renewal; and

Creating a seven-member Firearm License Review Board to review firearm license applications that have been denied.

“This is truly a great day for Massachusetts’ sportsmen and women,” said Senator Stephen M. Brewer. “These reforms correct some serious mistakes that were made during the gun debate in 1998, when many of our state’s gun owners were stripped of their long-standing rights to own firearms. I applaud Senate President Travaglini for allowing the Senate to undertake this necessary legislation.”

“I want to congratulate everyone that has worked so hard on this issue,” said Representative George Peterson. “Because of their dedication, we are here today to sign into law this consensus piece of legislation. This change will go a long way toward fixing the flaws created by the 1998 law. Another key piece to this legislation addresses those citizens who have applied for renewals. If the government does not process their renewal in a timely fashion, those citizens won't be put at risk because of the 90 day grace period that is being adopted today.”

“Never before has there been such bi-partisan cooperation in the passage of gun safety legislation of this magnitude in this nation,” said John Rosenthal, co-founder and chair of Stop Handgun Violence. “I applaud the leadership of the Governor, Senate President, House Speaker and entire Legislature for passage of this assault weapons ban renewal. They have shown that Massachusetts can continue to lead the nation in protecting the public and law enforcement from military style assault weapons.”

This law also greatly increased the fees required to have a "permit" to exercise your rights.

Mandate Mitt Rmoney is a gun banner.

O-bomb-ya is a gun banner.

I don't vote for gun banners.

No One But Paul

erowe1
10-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Great choice for guns rights people.

Vote for a guy who says he will ban guns. O-Bomb-ya

Or vote for a guy who did ban guns. Rmoney

No thanks.

Not voting for either.

Gun rights people? I thought we were talking about the NRA?

Anti Federalist
10-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Gun rights people? I thought we were talking about the NRA?

LOL, my mistake.

AdamT
10-18-2012, 07:17 PM
NRA is a total joke.

Chris from Upstate NY
10-18-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm sorry, did I miss something? Obama is anti-gun and wants to limit our second amendment rights? Most likely take them away totally before long? This is news how? Well I am glad the NRA is right on top of things... it took them this long to figure this out? Okay... sarcasm over.

As Anti Federalist said... I don't vote for gun banners. Mr. Obama, Mr. Romney... ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

supermario21
10-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Mitt's answer scared me a little during the debate. But let's be real, there is going to be no anti-gun legislation as long as the Republicans have the House.

VoluntaryAmerican
10-18-2012, 08:48 PM
The counter argument to this is when your governor in perhaps the most liberal state in the country stuff like this is going to be outside of your control and sometimes you've got to compromise to get other things done.

A guy who is willing to compromise one of my "Rights" for political gains is not someone who should be President. He should be in jail.

BamaAla
10-18-2012, 08:52 PM
NRA is a total joke.

And the GOA really gets shit done huh? Get real; the NRA might not fit everyone's definition of perfect, but they are THE gun lobby. GOA has never done anything but send out press releases; the NRA has been on the front lines for generations.

This NRA hate is ludicrous.

Anti Federalist
10-18-2012, 09:19 PM
And the GOA really gets shit done huh? Get real; the NRA might not fit everyone's definition of perfect, but they are THE gun lobby. GOA has never done anything but send out press releases; the NRA has been on the front lines for generations.

This NRA hate is ludicrous.

Why is NRA endorsing a gun banner?

The question is, of course, rhetorical.

GWB said he would sign a new AWB and they endorsed him as well.

McCain was a mixed bag on gun rights and they endorsed him.

NRA is just a GOP organ now.

They'll string along gun owners just like the pro-life people, election after election, scaring them with boogieman SCROTUS appointments.

BamaAla
10-18-2012, 09:34 PM

They'll string along gun owners just like the pro-life people, election after election, scaring them with boogieman SCROTUS appointments.

Is it a boogieman? I seem to recall two very important Court decisions recently that would have likely gone a different direction under a Rehnquist Court and certainly under a Burger court; another appointment by the current executive and the court will swerve left of Burger or Warren, so I think you are very wrong in that assessment.

I get that some folks don't like the NRA and if they want to criticize them, they have ammo, but to act like Ron Paul's pick the GOA is somehow in the same universe or even better is insane; GOA has done literally nothing for guns.

The Free Hornet
10-18-2012, 10:58 PM
I'm in complete agreement with your sentiment but when comparing Romney and Obama there's absolutely no question he's the lesser of two evils.

Are you taking liberties with pronouns?

AuH20
10-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Destroy the NRA and replace it what??? I'm not an NRA fan but some of this talk is insane. The legal team alone that the NRA boasts is worth it's weight in gold.

Anti Federalist
10-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Is it a boogieman? I seem to recall two very important Court decisions recently that would have likely gone a different direction under a Rehnquist Court and certainly under a Burger court; another appointment by the current executive and the court will swerve left of Burger or Warren, so I think you are very wrong in that assessment.

I get that some folks don't like the NRA and if they want to criticize them, they have ammo, but to act like Ron Paul's pick the GOA is somehow in the same universe or even better is insane; GOA has done literally nothing for guns.

Harriet Myers.

AuH20
10-18-2012, 11:05 PM

GWB let the AWB sunset. He should get credit for that. Come to think of it, that's one of the few things he did that was right.

Anti Federalist
10-18-2012, 11:06 PM

So my rights will be taken away by a right wing court instead of left wing court?

Your argument is not convincing me.

Anti Federalist
10-18-2012, 11:08 PM
GWB let the AWB sunset. He should get credit for that. Come to think of it, that's one of the few things he did that was right.

He "let" it sunset because renewal legislation never made it to his desk.

If it had, he said he would sign it.

Anti Federalist
10-18-2012, 11:21 PM
Q: You said if Congress would vote to extend the ban on assault weapons, that you’d sign the legislation...

BUSH: I did think we ought to extend the assault weapons ban...

Source: Third Bush-Kerry debate, in Tempe AZ , Oct 13, 2004

http://www.ontheissues.org/celeb/george_w__bush_gun_control.htm

Anti Federalist
10-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Assault weapon OK; waiting period not OK

Bush expressed support for some gun control measures, including the ban on assault weapons and laws designed to keep guns out of the hands of juveniles. But he said he did not believe the waiting period for the purchase of handguns that is part of the Brady Act does much good, saying he prefers instant background checks.

Source: Dan Balz, The Washington Post , Apr 25, 1999

http://www.ontheissues.org/celeb/george_w__bush_gun_control.htm

Dogsoldier
10-18-2012, 11:34 PM
I'm so sick of hearing Romney is the lessor of 2 evils.They are the same.They are both on the same team going in the same direction and they are both equally evil.

BamaAla
10-18-2012, 11:40 PM
So my rights will be taken away by a right wing court instead of left wing court?

Your argument is not convincing me.

That right wing court incorporated the Second Amendment, so I don't know what your beef is on this particular issue.

ETA: I should have mentioned, as Gold Water did earlier up, that those cases reached the Court in no small measure thanks to the NRA.

donnay
10-19-2012, 01:39 AM
The NRA is too political and compromises where there should be no compromises. The second amendment means what it says and says what it means, it doesn't need any interpretations. I figured out a long time ago that the NRA is nothing more than a Trojan Horse to help the establishment foster more gun control in this county.

BamaAla
10-19-2012, 01:48 AM
The NRA is too political and compromises where there should be no compromises. The second amendment means what it says and says what it means, it doesn't need any interpretations. I figured out a long time ago that the NRA is nothing more than a Trojan Horse to help the establishment foster more gun control in this county.

That sounds really nice on an online forum, but in the world, the Second Amendment says what it says and means what the Supreme Court says it means. Thankfully, this Court has incorporated it and made it stronger and that was in no small part thanks to the efforts of the National Rifle Association. I will repeat again, I have no problem with GOA, but what have they ever done? The NRA plays the game and they play it well; I'm not always giddy over their actions, but we'd be a lot worse off without them.

donnay
10-19-2012, 02:20 AM
That sounds really nice on an online forum, but in the world, the Second Amendment says what it says and means what the Supreme Court says it means. Thankfully, this Court has incorporated it and made it stronger and that was in no small part thanks to the efforts of the National Rifle Association. I will repeat again, I have no problem with GOA, but what have they ever done? The NRA plays the game and they play it well; I'm not always giddy over their actions, but we'd be a lot worse off without them.

It doesn't sound nice on an online forum, it is what people need to know and need to hear. No compromising the second amendment. However, you can see for yourself what GOA have accomplished and continue to accomplish and educate the people. Even Ron Paul gave them props.

http://gunowners.com/legal.htm

GOA Fighting to Bolster the Supreme Court’s Heller Decision
http://gunowners.org/a09062012.htm

Petition to U.S. Sentate
http://gunowners.org/petition-to-us-sentate.htm

How GOA is Exposing Those Lying, Flip-flopping Politicians
http://gunowners.org/news1092012.htm

Gun Owners of America has just posted its Candidate Rating
http://goapvf.org/

Help Gun Owners of America stop the UN’s continuous attempts to destroy the 2nd Amendment
http://gunowners.org/a07312012.htm

BamaAla
10-19-2012, 02:34 AM
It doesn't sound nice on an online forum, it is what people need to know and need to hear. No compromising the second amendment. However, you can see for yourself what GOA have accomplished and continue to accomplish and educate the people. Even Ron Paul gave them props.

So they filed a case brief, ranked politicians, and started an online petition! Great, and y'all claim that the NRA is useless? I have nothing against GOA, but they don't carry the weight that the NRA does and they certainly don't get the results that the NRA does.

I'm elated that you and the GOA push your message that there is no compromise on the Second Amendment (and I agree, but that is abstract at this point), but call that the "intellectual" end of the fight. Where the rubber meets the road and you need tangible results, the NRA the organization that is in the game.

nobody's_hero
10-19-2012, 05:56 AM
Saying that the GoA doesn't get stuff done is kind of like saying Ron Paul is a lousy congressman because he never gets legislation passed.

There's a reason for that, you know. It comes with the territory of being the only one to understand what it means not to compromise on freedom.

'But, If only he'd compromise and get stuff done!'

Do you want to just 'get stuff done' or do you want to be free?

(I sort of figured that this NRA endorsement of Mitt Romney would pretty much be all the evidence anyone would need to take a step back and say to themselves, "the NRA should have stopped compromising a long time ago"; Hell, if they compromise any more, it might as well be the NRA itself that comes to your house and collects your firearms, lol; you can't get much more 'compromised' than by supporting the guy who did ban firearms over the guy who says he will)

amy31416
10-19-2012, 06:10 AM

Not even to mention that alleged conservatives seem more capable of "sneaking" gun restriction legislation by, and the right-wing stays quiet.

If anything, this may be more reason to not vote for Romney--not sure of the OP's motivation though.

nobody's_hero
10-19-2012, 06:31 AM
Not even to mention that alleged conservatives seem more capable of "sneaking" gun restriction legislation by, and the right-wing stays quiet.

If anything, this may be more reason to not vote for Romney--not sure of the OP's motivation though.

DeMintConservative is 'scraping the bottom of the barrel' trying to find any reason whatsoever that Romney might be better than Obama. It's not much different than people who think that Romney's gonna fight Obamacare when he was the author of it.

I'll be curious to see how that logic works out, should Romney win.

VBRonPaulFan
10-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Saying that the GoA doesn't get stuff done is kind of like saying Ron Paul is a lousy congressman because he never gets legislation passed.

There's a reason for that, you know. It comes with the territory of being the only one to understand what it means not to compromise on freedom.

'But, If only he'd compromise and get stuff done!'

Do you want to just 'get stuff done' or do you want to be free?

(I sort of figured that this NRA endorsement of Mitt Romney would pretty much be all the evidence anyone would need to take a step back and say to themselves, "the NRA should have stopped compromising a long time ago"; Hell, if they compromise any more, it might as well be the NRA itself that comes to your house and collects your firearms, lol; you can't get much more 'compromised' than by supporting the guy who did ban firearms over the guy who says he will)

/thread.

VBRonPaulFan
10-19-2012, 08:11 AM
The endorsement:
http://nrapvf.org/news-alerts/2012/10/nra-pvf-endorses-romney-and-ryan.aspx

Money quote:

any if ANYONE can tell you just how much Romney will protect your gun rights, just ask anyone from the great state of Massach....

oh, wait. :(

Anti Federalist
10-19-2012, 11:06 AM
DeMintConservative is 'scraping the bottom of the barrel' trying to find any reason whatsoever that Romney might be better than Obama. It's not much different than people who think that Romney's gonna fight Obamacare when he was the author of it.

I'll be curious to see how that logic works out, should Romney win.

Yes, basically, this.

The wobblies haven't come right out and said "Vote Romney", yet.

They will in the next few weeks.

Anti Federalist
10-19-2012, 11:20 AM
That right wing court incorporated the Second Amendment, so I don't know what your beef is on this particular issue.

ETA: I should have mentioned, as Gold Water did earlier up, that those cases reached the Court in no small measure thanks to the NRA.

NRA tried everything it could do to torpedo Heller from the get go.

It was not NRA that brought the case to SCROTUS, it was the CATO Institute.

NRA opposed the suit, until it became clear they could not stop it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_v._Heller

Anti Federalist
10-19-2012, 11:23 AM
And the grunt work was done by an uncompromising libertarian attorney.

Gura lives in Alexandria, Virginia with his family. He is a gun owner and considers himself a libertarian. He argues that self-protection is a fundamental right, because citizens in general cannot always depend on the government to protect them from criminals or tyrannical rulers

GeorgiaAvenger
10-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Romney would be much better for gun rights. As are most Republicans.

Not because he cares, because it is politically convenient. This guy is an office worker who lied about being a hunter and does not seem like a person who cares a lot about self defense.

But I can see why the NRA supports Romney when it comes down to him or Obama, but I don't see why they support mediocre Republican and Democrat incumbents. Its compromising plain and simple. Grover Norquist and Americans for Tax Reform has proved that a scorched earth lobbying policy is effective.

Gun Owners of America, on the other hand, helps get hardline gun right defenders elected.

libertariantexas
10-20-2012, 02:25 AM
The fact is:

Romney will do nothing to defend gun rights.

Obama will do nothing to take away your gun rights.

But the HYSTERIA about Obama being a "gun grabber" has done wonders for my stock portfolio.

My Sturm Ruger (RGR) stock has surged over the past 4 years because of the Obama "gun grab" hysteria.

https://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:RGR

It pays a nice dividend, too.

devil21
10-20-2012, 03:22 AM
Great. Romney and the NRA are perfect for each other.

The scariest part is that Romney had to soften his rhetoric just to get the NRA's endorsement. The NRA was bought and sold long ago for compromise on gun rights legislation. They didnt build their huge complex in suburban Northern Virginia (5 miles from DC) with the logo showing over the interstate next to it for being a strict 2A lobby.

devil21
10-20-2012, 03:26 AM

Where did you get that bullshit from? The NRA has left TONS of gun owners hanging on bs charges. You're gonna make me google this?

Here's one example: Google Olafson ATF!

ETA: CHECK OUT THE WOBBLY ROMNEY TYPES COMING OUT OF THE WOODWORK NOW! Most of those running interference for Romney now are those that were running interference for him months ago. Same ol. Why does anyone with Georgia/GA in their handle look like an apologist?

nobody's_hero
10-20-2012, 01:21 PM
ETA: CHECK OUT THE WOBBLY ROMNEY TYPES COMING OUT OF THE WOODWORK NOW! Most of those running interference for Romney now are those that were running interference for him months ago. Same ol. Why does anyone with Georgia/GA in their handle look like an apologist?

I'm from GA and I might have an explanation (though I can't say for sure what's going through everyone's mind down here in the South)

Every campaign letter I've gotten from the Georgia GOP (I actually got two in the same day just yesterday) is filled to the brim with fearmongering over Obama. The thing is, I already know Obama is a bad guy, so hammering fear into me just isn't an effective-enough strategy to get me to support Romney. These sort of alarmist fundraising letters work great for keeping the 'party faithful' in line but they don't do squat for us independent types.

Even many of these letters from the campaign 4 liberty just go overboard with the scary talk. People who read that stuff day after day probably do get a little paranoid. I usually just throw them in the trash, unopened. When I can afford to make a donation to a cause I deem worthy, I don't need to be scared into doing so. That goes for how I vote, as well as how I donate.

Anti Federalist
10-20-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm from GA and I might have an explanation (though I can't say for sure what's going through everyone's mind down here in the South)

Every campaign letter I've gotten from the Georgia GOP (I actually got two in the same day just yesterday) is filled to the brim with fearmongering over Obama. The thing is, I already know Obama is a bad guy, so hammering fear into me just isn't an effective-enough strategy to get me to support Romney. These sort of alarmist fundraising letters work great for keeping the 'party faithful' in line but they don't do squat for us independent types.

Even many of these letters from the campaign 4 liberty just go overboard with the scary talk. People who read that stuff day after day probably do get a little paranoid. I usually just throw them in the trash, unopened. When I can afford to make a donation to a cause I deem worthy, I don't need to be scared into doing so. That goes for how I vote, as well as how I donate.

Yes, this.