PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney 533 Lies told by Mitt Romney in 30 weeks? Is this true?

sdsubball23
10-18-2012, 02:32 PM
hxxp://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2012/08/29/mitt-romney-tells-533-lies-in-30-weeks-steve-benen-documents-them/

A friend of mine shared this on FB. I don't know what to really think of this, but what do you all think? Are these lies really lies? Discuss

DeMintConservative
10-18-2012, 04:01 PM
He also killed a woman with cancer. Plus binders. Big Bird. Cayman islands.

It's the Washington Monthly, ffs.

thoughtomator
10-18-2012, 04:32 PM
he's slowing down - now that he no longer needs to appeal to Republican voters, he need not lie quite as fast and furious as in the primaries.

sdsubball23
10-19-2012, 05:23 PM
He also killed a woman with cancer. Plus binders. Big Bird. Cayman islands.

It's the Washington Monthly, ffs.

Do you think these "lies" are refutable?

DeMintConservative
10-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Do you think these "lies" are refutable?

Sure some are, others not so much. The problem is that this is another example of how pathetic is this new "fact-checking" fad. I started reading and the 2nd or 3rd "lie" was about Romney saying Obama's policies are intended to turn the US into an European style social-democracy. Is this a lie? I'm pretty sure 99% of the people in this forum would say it's a correct view of where Obama is leading the country (many will say a President Romney would do the same). Many Obama supporters, like the guy who collected these "Lies", will deny it's accurate. But the truth is that it's not really a matter of fact, there is no objective standard of truth to which one can appeal to make a judgement. There are always going to be conflicting views.

So, you basically can do this exercise for every politician out there: Romney, Obama, Ron Paul, whoever. You just need to start accusing the candidate of lying every time you disagree with him. It's like accusing Ron Paul of lying when he claims a metallic standard would bring more economic prosperity if you disagree with a gold standard. This is a very old tactic marxists and communists would use (and still do), as they believed their views were an objective and scientific truth and that the laws of human action could be totally apprehended and understood, that the Democrats under Obama have been adopting more and more (Paul Krugman is a particularly severe case of this).

Personally, I find these tactics obnoxious.