PDA

View Full Version : FL-Man shoots, kills, neighbor's dog. Goes straight to jail.

Anti Federalist
10-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Should have invoked "Mundane Safety"...oh, wait.

And just WTF is "law enforcement" birdshot?

Police: Man shoots, kills neighbor's health dog

Published On: Oct 16 2012 12:55:20 PM EDT

http://www.news4jax.com/news/Police-Man-shoots-kills-neighbor-s-health-dog/-/475880/17009988/-/1xk88vz/-/index.html

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A Westside man has been arrested for shooting a neighbor's beloved health dog as the animal was wandering in his driveway, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.

Channel 4 first introduced Sloopy to viewers in February 2011.

Regina Ebey said Sloopy would wake her up at night whenever she stopped breathing. Ebey said Sloopy has saved her life twice, but Saturday morning, police said, Ebey's neighbor shot the dog while it was in the yard.

Police said the Ebeys moved into the home in the 6900 block of Juliet Court the night before.

The shooting happened when Ross Ebey, Regina's husband, went outside to smoke a cigarette at about 7:45 a.m. and let Sloopy out with him, police said.

"The first night they were here was Friday night. Saturday morning, first thing out the door the man at the end of the street shot and killed it right there," said neighbor Steve Sykes.

According to a police report, the Jack Russell and black lab mix went next door and was sniffing around in the driveway when Ebey saw the dog and started calling for him. Police said Sloopy was not barking or anything of that sort.

Officers said 57-year-old Kenneth Martin then opened up the front door of his home and shot Sloopy from inside the house.

"My father-in-law was standing right there. So if he'd missed the dog, he'd have hit my father-in-law," said Alex Ebey.

Ross Ebey walked over to the driveway, and Martin opened up the door and said, "Don't call the law. I have a bad heart," according to the police report.

Martin (pictured below) went back inside, then came back out and put Sloopy in a green container, police said. When officers arrived, Martin told them, "I have made the biggest mistake of my life. I have no reason for what I have done."

Police saw the dog's body in the container. They said they went inside the home to recover the shotgun, and Martin told them he loaded one round of Federal birdshot to shoot the dog.

Police said the ammunition they found was for law enforcement use. They said they found the spent shell casing inside a garbage can.

Martin told police he found the ammunition on the Internet, authorities said.

Martin was arrested and booked into the Duval County jail on charges of cruelty to animals and discharging a firearm in public.

Alex Ebey said her mother-in-law moved into the neighborhood to be closer to her family because of her poor health.

"She was trying to make it easier on her heart, and now she's lived here eight hours and has a broken heart," Ebey said.

The Ebey family said Regina was too upset to talk on camera Tuesday night.

RonPaulFanInGA
10-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Police can get away with anything as long as they claim they "felt threatened", and they always do.

heavenlyboy34
10-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Should have invoked "Mundane Safety"...oh, wait.

And just WTF is "law enforcement" birdshot?

My webbernet search-fu fails in this. Sorry I can't help. /mundane fail

Dr.3D
10-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Best to my knowledge, Federal has designed a new #1 buckshot specifically for use in "law enforcement", never heard of anybody trying to use birdshot for that as it doesn't penetrate enough. Perhaps the cops are confused.

Origanalist
10-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Best to my knowledge, Federal has designed a new #1 buckshot specifically for use in "law enforcement", never heard of anybody trying to use birdshot for that as it doesn't penetrate enough. Perhaps the cops are confused.

Or maybe it's time to get those birds in line. "Free as a bird" is enough to enrage any red blooded law enforcement officer.

aloneinthewilderness
10-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Police said the ammunition they found was for law enforcement use. They said they found the spent shell casing inside a garbage can.

Martin told police he found the ammunition on the Internet, authorities said.
Typical media anti-gun sensationalism. They're really digging deep to try to make an issue of the ammo that he used. The fact that the police mentioned it in the first place is very telling that they're of the same anti-gun mind. Since when do police need birdshot? Are they pheasant or partridge hunting?

Dude that shot the dog is a complete douchebag, but this would all be smoothed over if he had a shiny piece of tin fastened to his shirt with an insignia and a number assigned by the state. Instead of trying to crucify him for having lethal black talon cop killer ak47 birdshot, the police would be talking about the dangers of those vicious black lab/jack russel breeds. Then it would be the owner's fault.

aGameOfThrones
10-17-2012, 08:47 PM
"I have made the biggest mistake of my life. I have no reason for what I have done."

You ain't never gonna get that from a cop.

heavenlyboy34
10-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Typical media anti-gun sensationalism. They're really digging deep to try to make an issue of the ammo that he used. The fact that the police mentioned it in the first place is very telling that they're of the same anti-gun mind. Since when do police need birdshot? Are they pheasant or partridge hunting?

Dude that shot the dog is a complete douchebag, but this would all be smoothed over if he had a shiny piece of tin fastened to his shirt with an insignia and a number assigned by the state. Instead of trying to crucify him for having lethal black talon cop killer ak47 birdshot, the police would be talking about the dangers of those vicious black lab/jack russel breeds. Then it would be the owner's fault.
The cops want all the seriously deadly weapons for themselves. Keeps the mundanes in line AND keeps the government money flowing in. :mad: You think birdshot is bad-wait till all the departments decide they want to be tough-guys like Joe Arpaio and get tanks and paramilitary gear (paid for by you, of course). :O :mad:

AGRP
10-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Martin was arrested and booked into the Duval County jail on charges of cruelty to animals and discharging a firearm in public.

huh?

Anti Federalist
10-17-2012, 08:55 PM
You ain't never gonna get that from a cop.

No, no you are not.

Origanalist
10-17-2012, 08:56 PM
I guess this answers fisharmor's question....

Perhaps the cops were justified.
I still need to ask the question:
If I was knocking on someone's door, their dogs charged out and attacked, and I shot them, would I walk away free?
Or would I get taken to a cell?
Would I keep my firearm?
How much of my personal savings (I don't have access to bottomless municipal funds) would I drain defending myself in court?
Would the state's prosecutor be friendly toward me, or antagonistic?
Do I have a record of service to the state, or do I have an average of three felonies a day committed in my ignorance, which can be used as charge multipliers?
Will I even see the day when I'm tried, or will they present me with a case where I could be looking at either 50 years in maximum security if I lose a trial, or 3 months if I plea out?

Were the cops justified? Maybe. But the VERY NEXT QUESTION must always be "Could I have done the same thing?"

Dr.3D
10-17-2012, 08:56 PM
huh?
Yeah, how can cops get away with it and us mundanes can't? I thought they had to obey the same laws we do.

Anti Federalist
10-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Yeah, how can cops get away with it and us mundanes can't? I thought they had to obey the same laws we do.

That's a big negatory there, pardner.

Henry Rogue
10-17-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm surprised they didn't deputise him on the spot. Welcome to our ranks. Your initiation is complete.