PDA

View Full Version : Man Faces up to 15 Years in Prison for Facebook Protest Against U.S. Gov't

donnay
10-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Man Faces up to 15 Years in Prison for Facebook Protest Against U.S. Gov't

Jason Mick
DailyTech (http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=27958)
Tue, 16 Oct 2012 16:00 CD

Speechcrime charges on the rise in the U.S., marine is also involuntarily committed for his protest speech

Frustrated with the U.S. "War on Drugs", which he believed was a farce, and with a seeming increase in police violations of U.S. citizens' civil liberties, Matthew Michael created a group on Facebook, Inc.'s (FB) social network targeting the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency with angry statements.

I. Protest the U.S. Government? Think Again

In one post, he reportedly wrote, "War is near. Anarchy and justice will be sought...I'll kill whoever I deem to be in the way of harmony to the human race...BE WARNED IF U PULL ME OVER!!"

The posts -- while threatening in a vague manner -- did not name any specific DEA agents, or even make any clear plan for violent action.

But the U.S. Department of Justice caught wind of the post and has now been given the go-ahead by a federal judge -- Judge William Lawrence of U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana -- to charge Mr. Michael with three counts of transmitting threats in interstate commerce.

http://www.sott.net/image/image/s5/117902/large/pro2.jpg
© James Martin/CNET
Protesting the U.S. Gov't on Facebook could land you in prison for 20 years or more.

Each of those charges, according to 18 USC § 875 (the U.S. Criminal Code) carries up to a 5-year sentence. Under U.S. criminal law, sentences can be served consecutively or concurrently (see this helpful Yahoo! News post). The decision of how to assign the sentences, if the defendant is found guilty, is up to the Judge during the sentencing phase.

That means that Mr. Michael faces a maximum prison sentence of up to 15 years, all for speaking out against the government in an incendiary manner in Facebook.

Judge Lawrence argued the case should be allowed to proceed, despite the ambiguous nature of Mr. Michael's comments, writing, "The First Amendment does not insulate all speech from criminal consequence. Certain categories of speech having little or no social value are not protected, and threats are one such category.... It would be inappropriate for the court to enter a verdict of not guilty based solely on the face of the indictment unless the court could imagine no facts that would render Michael's posts unprotected. That is not the situation here."

II. Marine Also Imprisoned Without Trial

The case echoes the story of U.S. Marine Brandon Raub. After honorably serving his country on tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, Mr. Raub, 26, had grown disillusioned with the U.S. federal government, and like Mr. Michael took to posting vague, frustrated, incendiary commentaries to Facebook.

Those posts led to local authorities and federal agents in Chesterfield, Virginia detaining Mr. Raub and then exploiting the state's involuntary commitment laws to label the protester as "mentally ill", effectively imprisoning him indefinitely and without trial in a state-run veteran's hospital.

http://www.sott.net/image/image/s5/117901/large/pro3.jpg
© Banmiller on Business
How did the U.S. reward ex-Marine Brandon Raub for honorably serving his country? They locked him up via involuntary commitment rules, all for a protest post he wrote on Facebook.

Such rulings are questionable given that in the 1969 case Brandenburg v. Ohio, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled, "[T]he constitutional guarantees of free speech and free press do not permit a State to forbid or proscribe advocacy of the use of force or of law violation except where such advocacy is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action."

In other words, unless specific, immediate violence is promised, you're free to make statements of protest against the government -- even violent ones.

III. Speech Crime -- a Dark and Dangerous Road

But it's also important to remember that speech is not action, and often times speechcrime legislation -- even mild provisions outlawing threats of imminent violence -- proves merely a vehicle to unload more severe censorship upon the unwitting public.

A critical example Germany's 1933 decision to suspend "the Fundamental Rights" in its Articles of Government if "if public safety and order in the German Reich are considerably disturbed or endangered". The Third Reich seized the opportunity by staging a fire at the Reichstag building, which they then blamed on protesters/terrorists, leading to a blanket suspension of protest speech against the ruling regime. That censorship proved critical to the atrocities and oppression that ensued, as the Reich was able to send anyone who spoke out against its policies to prisons or concentration camps.

In other words, treating threats of violence as speechcrime can be cleverly used as a prelude to suspending free speech in general, if the ruling regime can argue that a "terrorist" threat (possibly staged) mandates a broader removal of civil liberties. Already accustomed to seeing their speech somewhat limited, the public will provide far less resistance.

In a threatening display of power, the Nazi state would eventually commit to a bloody execution via gun and guillotine of convicted "speechcrime" offenders who belonged to the White Rose movement, who had distributed non-violent fliers in Berlin proclaiming, "Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and protection of the individual citizen from the arbitrary action of criminal dictator-states."

Today both of America's ruling parties support so-called "free speech zones", or their various euphemisms, which essentially block citizens' right to directly speak out with words or written signs against politicians at political rallies.

And today Mr. Michael faces speechcrime accusations, which echo those of historic regimes past. And while he does not face the death sentence for his speechcrime, he does face the prospect of spending over a decade of his life in prison; all for posting something the U.S. government found threatening.

FrancisMarion
10-17-2012, 12:43 PM
I used to Facepalm. I remember ole Hank Paulson running to W telling him and the public that there needed to be some rescue. I facepalmed loudly about not paying anymore income taxes and building trebuchets if it went through. Guess what. Full audit for me.

I don't facepalm on facebook anymore.

I do however still have great interests in siege equipment.

aGameOfThrones
10-17-2012, 01:17 PM
"War is near. Anarchy and justice will be sought...I'll kill whoever I deem to be in the way of harmony to the human race...BE WARNED IF U PULL ME OVER!!"

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

Did I just make a threat?

HOLLYWOOD
10-17-2012, 01:51 PM
WTF?
to charge Mr. Michael with three counts of transmitting threats in interstate commerce.

There's your Statist Supreme Court... holding up Government's modern interpretation of speech vs. the 1st Amendment. (Which is not to be abridged). Now speaking one must have: "VALUE in Speech"?

Clearly this proves Washington DC doesn't give a fuck about the US Constitution. Oh they'll throw a bone to the proletariat every now-and-then to give the appearance of enforcing US Constitutional rights.

For that SCOTUS ruling in 1969... What did Washington DC call all those protesting then? Druggies, Hippies, Peace-nicks, draft-dodgers, lazy, stupid, filthy, beatniks, terrorists, troublemakers, etc, blah blah...

Game is Rigged... all 3 branches

2young2vote
10-17-2012, 01:58 PM
^ yeah. Are they using the interstate commerce clause to slap charges against him? I don't quite understand what interstate commerce has to do with this.

Anti Federalist
10-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Yes, yes, you did.

Been saying that for years now, that reading the Declaration of Independence will get you arrested.

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

tod evans
10-17-2012, 02:10 PM
And this is news to whom?

The "feds" have prosecuted and convicted countless people for speaking their mind as this fellow did.

With each conviction the noose tightens.

Philhelm
10-17-2012, 02:46 PM
^ yeah. Are they using the interstate commerce clause to slap charges against him? I don't quite understand what interstate commerce has to do with this.

That's because people like you and me are ignorant peasants that don't understand the law like someone who spent three years at law school would. "Commerce" is a term of art and it doesn't mean what you think it does.

By the way, I've worked at a law office. One attorney got her degree in fashion design before attending law school. Another attorney didn't know that there was a Constitutional Amendment which allowed people to vote for Senators. Another attorney, when I had mentioned Woodrow Wilson, stared at me with a blank expression and told me that she didn't know anything about him.

fisharmor
10-17-2012, 02:54 PM
If you're feeling a little down about this, you could always do what I do: realize that this has been going on since John Fucking Adams.

Yeah, I'm worked up about it. But the reason the "movement" is splintering is because of the growing number of people who realize that there's absolutely nothing new going on here, and who no longer have any interest in taking any action which supports the underlying cause of these things in any way whatsoever.

youngbuck
10-17-2012, 03:05 PM

Reported for threat and possession and/or memorization of terrorist literature.

Warrior_of_Freedom
10-17-2012, 03:16 PM
uhh what there's a difference between a protest and threatening to kill people."

aGameOfThrones
10-17-2012, 03:31 PM
The government threatens to kill people everyday, yet...

youngbuck
10-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Reported again for anti-government vitriol.

Brian4Liberty
10-17-2012, 03:36 PM
Isn't it funny how if someone threatens a mundane, the person making the threat does not go to jail? In severe cases of clear and present danger, all they do is issue a restraining order.