PDA

View Full Version : Almost 2,400 Millionaires Pocketed Unemployment Benefits

Lucille
10-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Almost 2,400 Millionaires Pocketed Unemployment Benefits
http://www.theburningplatform.com/?p=41578

Almost 2,400 people who received unemployment insurance in 2009 lived in households with annual incomes of $1 million or more, according to the Congressional Research Service.

The report was released after about 1.1 million people exhausted their jobless benefits during the second quarter of 2012, when more than 4.6 million filed initial unemployment claims. Eliminating those payments to high earners is one idea being considered as U.S. lawmakers struggle to curb a projected $1.1 trillion deficit for the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30, with the nationwide jobless rate at 8.1 percent.

“Sending millionaires unemployment checks is a case study in out-of-control spending,” U.S. Senator Tom Coburn, an Oklahoma Republican, said in an e-mail. “Providing welfare to the wealthy undermines the program for those who need it most while burdening future generations with senseless debt.”

The 2,362 people in millionaire homes represent 0.02 percent of the 11.3 million U.S. tax filers who reported unemployment insurance income in 2009, according to the August report. Another 954,000 households earning more than $100,000 during the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression also reported receiving unemployment benefits.
[...]
Prohibiting Benefits
Congress has expanded unemployment benefits that had been paid for by states and lasted 26 weeks. The federal money lengthened the maximum period to 99 weeks, though the researchers said in practice no state currently offers more than 79 weeks.

Coburn introduced legislation in February 2011 to prohibit federally funded unemployment benefits for people who had at least $1 million in assets in the year before they filed a claim. The Senate voted unanimously for his measure, the Ending Unemployment Payments to Jobless Millionaires Act of 2011. It was later added to another bill, which hasn’t passed the Senate.

Coburn found that 18 households reporting an adjusted gross income that exceeded $10 million received an average unemployment benefit of $12,333 in 2009. The average benefit for 74 households earning between $5 million and $10 million was $18,351. The average household making $1 million or more received $11,113, or about 37 weeks of unemployment benefits.

jkr
10-16-2012, 03:04 PM
WHY AM I PAYING MY STUDENT LOANS?

oh yeah, THEY WILL KILL ME if i dont...

GeorgiaAvenger
10-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Coburn for Comptroller!

aGameOfThrones
10-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Don't hate the player, hate the game?

Brian4Liberty
10-16-2012, 03:38 PM
Means testing would go along way to cutting the excess in many of these programs. It's not exactly fair, as it rewards those who have nothing, usually through their own foolish decisions (prodigal sons), but it's better than spending trillions.

angelatc
10-16-2012, 03:48 PM
I don't have any problem with this. If they're going to apply means testing to unemployment benefits, it becomes welfare.

Lindsey
10-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Unemployment is insurance. In most states, those who make the most pay in the most. If we are forced to contribute to unemployment insurance, then we are entitled to collect when we have a legitimate claim, regardless of our net worth.

kathy88
10-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Unemployment is insurance. In most states, those who make the most pay in the most. If we are forced to contribute to unemployment insurance, then we are entitled to collect when we have a legitimate claim, regardless of our net worth.Exactly!

anaconda
10-16-2012, 05:25 PM

Right. There's no means testing for unemployment. Everybody pays into it. That would be a bit like saying a millionaire can't collect on his/her auto insurance claim.

MelissaWV
10-16-2012, 05:33 PM
This thread so far makes me feel a bit better. Thank you!

You hit the nail on the head: this is insurance. People paid in, and they have filed claims that were granted. Now, if those claims were granted by people who didn't scrutinize the submissions... hmm.

mad cow
10-16-2012, 05:55 PM
I bet a large part of that is actors collecting after the Broadway run or movie shoot.
There should be no State or Federally funded unemployment insurance.Anybody should be able to buy as much unemployment insurance as they wish from private sources for whatever price the two parties agree upon.

Brian4Liberty
10-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Of course it is categorized as "insurance", but should the government be in the insurance business?

Many people that qualify for unemployment insurance never apply for it because they don't need it. On the other hand, heard a story the other day about a government employee who was laid off, is receiving a full disability pension (ouch, my back hurts), and still signed up for UI payments on top of that.

Paul Or Nothing II
10-16-2012, 11:50 PM

+1

Exactly! Markets work based on incentives so if there are bad incentives & people extract benefit from it then we must blame the system that creates these incentives & not the individuals themselves who are simply acting in their own self-interest without using coercion (government uses coercion to collect the money, not the receivers of benefits)

Unemployment is insurance. In most states, those who make the most pay in the most. If we are forced to contribute to unemployment insurance, then we are entitled to collect when we have a legitimate claim, regardless of our net worth.

Right. There's no means testing for unemployment. Everybody pays into it. That would be a bit like saying a millionaire can't collect on his/her auto insurance claim.

+1

RonPaulFanInGA
10-17-2012, 12:05 AM
How much did said millionaires pay into it, compared to that 47%?

WHY AM I PAYING MY STUDENT LOANS?

Because you chose to borrow the money?

Lucille
10-17-2012, 11:47 AM

Only employers pay federal and state unemployment taxes.

IRS:
The Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA), with state unemployment systems, provides for payments of unemployment compensation to workers who have lost their jobs. Most employers pay both a Federal and a state unemployment tax...Only the employer pays FUTA tax; it is not deducted from the employee's wages.

Vance:
Unlike Social Security and Medicare taxes, which are borne by both employer and employee, unemployment taxes are paid solely by employers (http://www.lewrockwell.com/vance/vance183.html). Three states (Alaska, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania) levy an additional unemployment tax on employees.
[...]
Obviously, an employer's having to shoulder the burden of paying federal and state unemployment taxes increases his labor cost and therefore his cost of doing business. And adding this tax to the employers' share of his employees' Social Security and Medicare taxes that he is mandated to pay results in a labor cost that is much higher than the hourly wage employees are actually getting paid.

Anything else we can do for the workers, and for the govt for free? Let me know! We'll get right on that, right after we play immigration agent, tax collector, social worker, medical insurance provider, and send our money to the state and fed gov to save for the workers' rainy days. ;)