PDA

View Full Version : Animal cruelty cop starved her dogs, gets promoted

green73
10-16-2012, 08:43 AM
http://blu.stb.s-msn.com/i/30/224584BF12DADD3B95E023B6333BCB_h231_w308_m4_cyrcnp MnU.jpg

MEMPHIS, TN - Weeks after Memphis Mayor A C Wharton promised he would name a committee to look into police practices, we're still waiting. In the meantime, ABC24 News has uncovered a classic example of how police can get fired, get their job back and end up climbing the ranks of the MPD.

The Memphis Police Association is quick to point out most officers who have been arrested are cleared of wrong doing and get their jobs back. In Betty Carter's case, not only did she get her job back, she also got a big promotion.

Sgt. Betty Carter was charged with Animal Cruelty in 2009. Her dogs were starving and so emaciated, two had to be euthanized. Carter admitted in court she couldn't afford to take care of the animals and was fired from the Memphis Police Department.

[...]

The city argued that Carter, whose work in the police department was responding to animal cruelty calls, shouldn't be allowed to return to work. The thinking was someone who was cruel to animals isn't capable of enforcing animal cruelty laws.

[...]

In addition to being fired, in 2006 police discovered there was a warrant out for Carter's arrest on a bad check charge. She was relieved of duty for that and eventually received a one day suspension.

http://www.abc24.com/content/thetruth/story/MPD-Officer-Fired-for-Animal-Cruelty-Rehired-Then/f-DXvkjJj0Srj-YRojMDUg.cspx?rss=59

jkr
10-16-2012, 08:51 AM
above

the law

Lucille
10-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Her dogs were starving and so emaciated, two had to be euthanized. Carter admitted in court she couldn't afford to take care of the animals

She doesn't look like she's missed many meals. She couldn't have shared?

Sounds to me like she's uniquely qualified for the job, being a soulless sadist and all.

Spikender
10-16-2012, 09:28 AM
So she's cruel to her dogs and gets promoted?

Damn it, she's cheating, I thought most cops had to actually shoot the dogs to get promoted. Shows what I know.