PDA

View Full Version : Went to jail for saying, "what if my friend's bag has a bomb in it?" at an airport.

aGameOfThrones
10-15-2012, 11:28 PM
When he isn't getting arrested for making inappropriate jokes about bombs in an airport, Peter Friesema is a referee for the Western Collegiate Hockey Association and the Central Hockey League.

Late Saturday night, Freisema was returning from a UAA tournament through Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport in Anchorage. The gate agent accidentally placed Freisema's luggage sticker on his traveling companion's bag, but he was told it was no big deal since they were both headed to the same destination and because the bags were already on the belt.

Then Freisema, 44, did what we all want to do at airports, but undoubtedly know what the repercussions are for doing so; i.e., make a witty, wholly inappropriate joke at the expense of an oversensitive atmosphere.

What Friesema said next temporarily shut down the airport, forced hundreds of passengers into the cold night air, caused many to miss connections, and landed him in jail. "But my friend's bag has a bomb in it," the agent remembers him saying, according to a charging document. He recounted it to authorities slightly differently, more to the effect of "what if my friend's bag has a bomb in it?"

Either way, his comment was "perhaps an effort to be funny or flirtatious," Assistant District Attorney Adam Alexander said Sunday before Friesema made a court appearance.

("Flirtatious?" Oh dear … it's the root of all men's ill-timed jokes, isn't it?)

As a result of his quip, the airport was evacuated (!) until 3 a.m. and Friesema was charged with disorderly conduct. The Daily News reports that the FBI is considering other charges, which could include making terrorist threats; i.e., joking about a bomb and causing the evacuation of a public place.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ncaa-hockey-referee-arrested-joke-bomb-alaska-airport-144701251--nhl.html

RickyJ
10-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Seemed innocent enough. He was asking why they weren't doing their job appropriately and "what if my friend's bag had a bomb in it?"

I guess when dealing with dumb people that have some sort of authority saying nothing is the best option. They are likely to misinterpret anything you might say.

Philosophy_of_Politics
10-15-2012, 11:47 PM
Same thing cops do. They look for any possible reason to detain you, including taking things out of context intentionally, in order to be able to detain or cite you.

TheTexan
10-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Same thing cops do. They look for any possible reason to detain you, including taking things out of context intentionally, in order to be able to detain or cite you.

Just doing their job. If they don't they get fired.

(And that makes it OK!)

Philhelm
10-16-2012, 01:07 AM
With bated breath I am left wondering what if his friend had a bomb in his bag?

It's ridiculous when people intentionally take comments out of context in order to justify mock indignation.

dbill27
10-16-2012, 02:58 AM
What a load of horseshit. First of all, instead of shutting the entire airport down, wouldn't it more practical to just check the guy's bag? Second of all, how is the question he asked not legitimate?

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
10-16-2012, 03:48 AM
What a load of horseshit. First of all, instead of shutting the entire airport down, wouldn't it more practical to just check the guy's bag? Second of all, how is the question he asked not legitimate?

You sound to smart to work there.

It sounds to me like this was an escalation of the situation just to show the guy who the boss is. They didn't really care how many people they screwed in the process. Let's make sure they know who's boss too.

Travlyr
10-16-2012, 05:32 AM
Civil disobedience. Everyone should ask that question. It is a fair question to ask. Delay the flights at all the airports all the time until they cry Uncle and put the TSA out of business.

VBRonPaulFan
10-16-2012, 06:23 AM
the TSA has got to go.

asurfaholic
10-16-2012, 06:39 AM

Well, understand that if there really was a bomb, and untrained public gropers went groping through the bag, it could have ended badly for everyone. There have to be certain procedures followed...

Too bad we live in hypersensitive amerika. This kinda shits gonna keep happening.

Origanalist
10-16-2012, 06:54 AM
Civil disobedience. Everyone should ask that question. It is a fair question to ask. Delay the flights at all the airports all the time until they cry Uncle and put the TSA out of business.

That my freind, is the answer to all this madness. If only people were willing to do so.

The problem is that so many are brain dead enough to believe they are actually being protected.

PaulConventionWV
10-16-2012, 09:53 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ncaa-hockey-referee-arrested-joke-bomb-alaska-airport-144701251--nhl.html

//

Chester Copperpot
10-16-2012, 10:31 AM

+1

matt0611
10-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Reminds me of meet the parents when he get arrested for saying "its not like I have a bomb in here" lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_VGjFqd93I

TheTexan
10-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Should use this as your carry-on luggage

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/London-Olympics-Security-Breached-by-Fake-Bomb-2.jpg

VoluntaryAmerican
10-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Reminds me of meet the parents when he get arrested for saying "its not like I have a bomb in here" lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_VGjFqd93I

Yeah. I love that scene, but it's not funny when it happens in real life.

:mad: