PDA

View Full Version : Will the Guys with the [Printed] Guns Make the Rules?

tangent4ronpaul
10-14-2012, 03:09 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-horwitz/will-the-guys-with-the-pr_b_1953692.html?utm_hp_ref=crime&ir=Crime

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8453/8072396944_0100a82011.jpg

"Insurrectionism is as American as apple pie."
"Obama and the UN don't stand a bloody chance now."
- Cody Wilson, founder of Defense Distributed and the "Wiki Weapon" project

The Huffington Post and other major media outlets have been abuzz lately with discussion of "3D printing's next frontier": guns. Specifically, the focus has been on a University of Texas law school student who had the 3D printer he leased reclaimed after announcing he would begin printing "Wiki weapons" (i.e., receivers for assault rifles and crude handguns) and freely distributing the plans for these firearms over the Internet. Desktop manufacturing company Stratsys felt that the student in question, Cody Wilson, was flouting existing federal firearms laws and stated that it is not its policy to "knowingly allow its printers to be used for illegal purposes." Wilson was also booted off Indiegogo, where he tried to fundraise for the project.

Much of the coverage focused on the aspect of the exciting new technology involved, which "promises to revolutionize manufacturing" in the United States. Less-discussed was the stated motivation behind the project and the radical political views of its founder.

To Cody Wilson's credit, he has not been secretive about what he believes and why he wants Americans to mass-produce firearms in their homes. The Defense Distributed Twitter feed and his personal Twitter feed are a screed of far-right-wing ideology. He calls President Obama a "bloodless sociopath" with a "Marxist Presidency," promotes Birtherism, criticizes Paul Ryan's budget as "a timid, 30 year project to barely blunt spending," embraces nullification legislation, endorses voter suppression laws, extols Ron Paul and Darrell Issa, mocks Sandra Fluke's sexual habits, rails against public schools, attacks the "Affordable Care Act," accuses Democrats of "laying waste to Detroit," disparages cops and defends George Zimmerman. He also runs Defending Liberty, a PAC that is working to eliminate state income tax laws.

Wilson is equally up-front about the purpose of his Wiki Weapon project. The website of his online collective for the project, "Defense Distributed," states that, "WikiWep is about challenging gun control and regulation." Or, as he put it to Slashdot: "This project really is about 'Fuck your laws.' You know what I'm saying? You know what? I don't like this legal regime."

Wilson's idea is in fact "Second Amendment remedies" taken to the extreme, and he makes no bones about it. "To be clear, the Second Amendment enshrines the right to bear arms with the understanding that a free people must ultimately remain able topple their own government," he writes on the Defending Liberty website. "If you believe in the American revolution DONATE NOW" its homepage exclaims. In a Tweet, Wilson playfully adds that the PAC is "working for strong laws to keep guns out of the hands of politicians" in order to maintain parity in civilian/military firepower.

========

The article continues with a discussion of some interesting US history, but ultimately fails as it tries to make a case for a monopoly on force being the sole realm of government. Hay, what did you expect - this is the Huffington Post, after all.

Worth clicking through and reading the whole thing.

-t

Philosophy_of_Politics
10-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Good. It is about "fuck your laws."

VoluntaryAmerican
10-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Hit piece. Comment section is nice though.

presence
10-14-2012, 04:29 PM
HERO

AGRP
10-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Ban guns 3D printers!

fr33
10-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Gun topic on huffington post. ugh I don't even want to click the link.

Pericles
10-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Good. It is about "fuck your laws."

It really is. "Good arms and good laws go together. Where the people have recourse to good arms, no Prince dare make a bad law." - The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli

thehungarian
10-15-2012, 12:19 AM
I don't understand 3-d printing. I just assume they mean holograms and continue living in my bubble.