PDA

View Full Version : Save Big Bird! "Million Muppet March"

Origanalist
10-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Look at the shiny thing.

"Million Muppet March" planned to defend U.S. backing for PBS
Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:49pm EDT By Daniel Trotta

(Reuters) - Plans to save Big Bird, the fuzzy yellow character on U.S. public television's "Sesame Street," from possible extinction are taking shape in the form of a puppet-based protest next month dubbed the "Million Muppet March."

The demonstration is planned for November 3 at the National Mall in Washington, D.C., three days before the general election.

Before the presidential debate between Democratic President Barack Obama and Republican challenger Mitt Romney had concluded on October 3, two men who had never met each floated the Million Muppet March idea on social media. They immediately united to defend public broadcasting.

Romney pledged during the debate to end the U.S. federal government's subsidy for the Public Broadcasting Service despite his professed love for Big Bird, one of the characters on PBS's 43-year-old children's educational program "Sesame Street," which features the Muppets.

Michael Bellavia, 43, an animation executive from Los Angeles, and Chris Mecham, 46, a university student in Idaho, separately came up with the Million Muppet March idea in response.

Big Bird, played by actor Carroll Spinney in an 8-foot (2.5-metre) bird costume, is strictly speaking not a member of the group of puppet characters known as the Muppets.

Bellavia bought the Internet address www.millionmuppetmarch.com during the debate and discovered Mecham had already started a Facebook page by the same name.

Within 30 minutes of the end of the debate they were on the phone with each other, planning the march.

"I figured, why just make it a virtual show of support? Why not take this opportunity because it seemed like there was already a growing interest in it and actually make it an active, participatory event," Bellavia said. "I literally just said, 'It's happening.'"

Both men consider themselves fans of "Sesame Street," perhaps the best-known program on PBS, which received $445 million of $3.8 trillion in federal budget outlays in 2012.

Coming from rural Idaho, Mecham said he was aware how important public broadcasting was in sparsely populated areas that receive no other signals over the air.

"Romney was using Muppets as a rhetorical device to talk about getting rid of public broadcasting, which is really so much bigger than Sesame Street," Mecham said. "While he was still talking I was thinking of ways I could express my frustration at that argument. Before the debates were over I had put up the Million Muppet March Facebook page."

The two men said they immediately decided to work together.

Mecham is a writer who is studying political science at Boise State University out of his interest in healthcare policy.

Bellavia is president of the animation studio Animax Entertainment, founded by former Second City actor Dave Thomas.

They may fall short of attracting a million people, or Muppets, to the event, but they do hope to create what Bellavia called a "lovefest" featuring skits and musical performances with Muppets.

"It does seem like we might get close to the biggest ever assemblage of puppets in one place," he said, "and probably the most ever puppets marching on Washington."

The Million Man March was a gathering held on the National Mall on October 16, 1995 to promote civil rights, with an emphasis on African Americans, and was led by rights advocate Louis Farrakhan. (Editing by Eric Walsh)

© Thomson Reuters 2012 All rights reserved.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idCABRE89B1E020121012?feedType=RSS&feedName=entertainmentNews&rpc=603&pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0&sp=true

NewRightLibertarian
10-13-2012, 04:57 PM
These fucking people are so stupid it makes me want to vomit

Aratus
10-13-2012, 10:46 PM
we do have the potus debate looming now that the battle of the titans between JB + PR is a past tense

fr33
10-13-2012, 10:50 PM
They'll talk about Big Bird. Not one word about the NDAA.

James Madison
10-13-2012, 10:50 PM
And I thought the Neo-cons were stupid. Progressives really have become a caricature of themselves. Check that! A caricature of a caricature of themselves.

jkr
10-13-2012, 10:53 PM
the muppet show> sesame street< the electric company

Origanalist
10-13-2012, 10:56 PM
And I thought the Neo-cons were stupid. Progressives really have become a caricature of themselves. Check that! A caricature of a caricature of themselves.
Dumb and dumberer.

Pauls' Revere
10-13-2012, 11:02 PM
The Sock Puppet Protest.

jclay2
10-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Our economy is collapsing, QE Infinite has begun, freedoms are going down the tubes, and the military industrial complex is growing. So what do these fine people and our presidents debate....SESAME STREET!!!! It really does feel sureel. I am only 22 years old and I am scared out of my mind for the future of this country and these pathetic children want to discuss big bird. Shame on them. Shame on them. People really need to wake up. I don't know how many dog killings, no knock raids, quantitative easing federal reserve inflations, (income, ss, med, sales, state, prop) taxes, government deficits, foreign wars it will take for people to get their head screwed on straight. The end is near, and all the mainstream lunatics want to do is play in the imaginary world of unicorns/big yellow birds. I just want to scream, but I know no one will listen. I feel like the figurative "line in the sand" has been so badly crossed and pushed back, yet the liberty movement (myself included) has done nothing.

matt0611
10-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Million man march to save sesame street? Big bird? While our economy crumbles and our last freedoms erode?

Are we to be spared nothing?

VanBummel
10-13-2012, 11:07 PM
These fucking people are so stupid it makes me want to vomit

Every time I think "well, at least it can't get any dumber than this," and yet... This is all going to cause some serious damage to my palms and face.

James Madison
10-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Our economy is collapsing, QE Infinite has begun, freedoms are going down the tubes, and the military industrial complex is growing. So what do these fine people and our presidents debate....SESAME STREET!!!! It really does feel sureel. I am only 22 years old and I am scared out of my mind for the future of this country and these pathetic children want to discuss big bird. Shame on them. Shame on them. People really need to wake up. I don't know how many dog killings, no knock raids, quantitative easing federal reserve inflations, (income, ss, med, sales, state, prop) taxes, government deficits, foreign wars it will take for people to get their head screwed on straight. The end is near, and all the mainstream lunatics want to do is play in the imaginary world of unicorns/big yellow birds. I just want to scream, but I know no one will listen. I feel like the figurative "line in the sand" has been so badly crossed and pushed back, yet the liberty movement (myself included) has done nothing.

Eventually nature will correct itself. The important thing is to be prepared for anything, including a total breakdown of society scenario.

jclay2
10-13-2012, 11:12 PM
Eventually nature will correct itself. The important thing is to be prepared for anything, including a total breakdown of society scenario.

Funny, you mention that. That is what I a have been working on the entire weekend. Going to a big box store tomorrow to build up general emergency supplies for a bug in scenario.

Philhelm
10-13-2012, 11:17 PM
Funny, you mention that. That is what I a have been working on the entire weekend. Going to a big box store tomorrow to build up general emergency supplies for a bug in scenario.

Hell, you might as well just get a Big Bird costume and be set for life.

EBounding
10-13-2012, 11:38 PM
They'll talk about Big Bird. Not one word about the NDAA.

I KNOW!! :mad:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to fr33 again.

asurfaholic
10-13-2012, 11:44 PM
"It does seem like we might get close to the biggest ever assemblage of puppets in one place," he said, "and probably the most ever puppets marching on Washington."

Puppets for puppets.

Its all i get from this. Go get em puppets

NIU Students for Liberty
10-13-2012, 11:56 PM
So they criticize Romney for placing emphasis on cutting funding for something as miniscule as PBS but then they create a rally in support of the same miniscule issue. Logic rules.

VanBummel
10-14-2012, 12:08 AM
Isn't this just more reason to nix PBS? Since there are apparently tons of people who will go out of their way to spend their time and resources supporting PBS, these same people should be capable of maintaining PBS through voluntary donations.

fr33
10-14-2012, 12:41 AM
Isn't this just more reason to nix PBS? Since there are apparently tons of people who will go out of their way to spend their time and resources supporting PBS, these same people should be capable of maintaining PBS through voluntary donations.Sure. Big Bird is a shiny object meant to distract you. I wouldn't start my spending cuts with PBS or NPR. I'd start with foreign aid and military spending. It's a cheap way for a central planner like Romney to distract republican voters.

dbill27
10-14-2012, 03:19 AM
Maybe they should just all cut a check to pbs for like 5 bucks and cover the government cuts that will never actually happen anyways.

nobody's_hero
10-14-2012, 05:53 AM
Maybe they should just all cut a check to pbs for like 5 bucks and cover the government cuts that will never actually happen anyways.

Well, that'd be $5 million of $445 million, assuming one million muppets showed up, each giving $5.

http://media.nj.com/entertainment_impact/photo/11476366-large.jpg

Suddenly $445 million seems like an awfully large budget.

Dr.3D
10-14-2012, 06:11 AM
Don't like that bird anyway. There was poop on my car the other day and I'll bet he did it.

matt0611
10-14-2012, 08:38 AM

No that's too logical. We "NEED" government funding because then obviously pbs would go out of business even though so many people think we "need" it. That's not contradictory at all is it?