PDA

View Full Version : For Whom Shall I Vote?

Philhelm
10-13-2012, 08:36 AM
This upcoming election seems really strange to me, and there are a lot of factors to consider. I'm not going to vote for Romney or Obama; that much is clear. I had said "No One But Paul" on several occasions, and I will likely keep my promise with a write-in for Ron Paul. The only thing that gives me pause is that I would like to see Gary Johnson's percentage to be as high as possible, if for no other reason than to send a message, for whatever that may be worth, and at least my vote would "count." Ron Paul takes the advantage, since at least I would be able to sleep more soundly with the knowledge that I did not accept the "options" presented to me, and had casted my vote for the wise, principled old man; not to be my leader, but to be my elected representative.

As much as I'd hate to use the "He can't win" line, as was used time and time again against Ron Paul, I suppose I have to face reality. Johnson really can't win, and neither could Ron Paul. Why? When the so-called conservatives rally in outrage against Obamacare and gun-grabbin' liberals in general, what do they do? They choose a candidate that is the grandfather of Obamacare and had supported anti-gun legislation in Massachusetts. Truly, there can be no victory against such astonishing ignorance, at least not at the present time.

It's a strange dynamic. As much as I dislike Romney, I really do think that a second term Obama would be worse than a first term Romney, at least when judged on its own merits, without considering other factors. Strangely enough, if the "choice" for the majority of Americans must be between Obama and Romney, I think that it is imperative that Obama gets re-elected. Romney getting elected would be a net loss for liberty by my estimation. For one, it would throw 2016 out the window for us (I mean "me," since "us" is collectivist. ;)). Also, all of the "conservative" outrage that has been building would likely be dispelled in one fell swoop. A Republican would be in the White House and the angry rabble would drop their torches and pitchforks, and return to their lives of modern share-cropping.

So, should I simply write-in Ron Paul and not look back? I feel guilty for even considering voting for Gary Johnson.

matt0611
10-13-2012, 08:40 AM
I'm torn too. If Ron was on the ballot I would vote for him but I doubt my write-in would even get counted so I'm probably going to be voting for Gary even though I disagree with him on a lot of things. At least he's miles better than Romney.

Origanalist
10-13-2012, 08:41 AM
//

Origanalist
10-13-2012, 08:42 AM
I feel guilty for even considering voting for Gary Johnson.

Why? Any vote against the two headed snake is all you can do at this point. I'm writing in RP but I don't see any sense in castigating those who vote Gary Johnson.

angelatc
10-13-2012, 08:42 AM
I'd feel worse about voting for Johnson if he actually had a chance. But he is just a vote against the two major parties, and one that the GOP can clearly see that they failed to capture.

I don't know what I am going to do, because Johnson isn't on the ballot and write-ins don't count unless they're pre-registered.

Philhelm
10-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Why? Any vote against the two headed snake is all you can do at this point. I'm writing in RP but I don't see any sense in castigating those who vote Gary Johnson.

I have no problem with Gary Johnson or anyone who intends to vote for Gary Johnson. I feel guilty for considering it since I had said, "No One But Paul" (NOBP) on several occasions, and feel that I am waivering on my promise. Granted, I do not always think that breaking a promise is dishonorable if doing so can achieve good.

RonPaulFanInGA
10-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Think I'll stay home. The choices for President suck, the U.S. House race is a gerrymandered "safe seat" and there are no U.S. Senate or gubernatorial elections in this state this year. Feels worthless to stand in line for an hour for that.

Brian4Liberty
10-13-2012, 09:08 AM
As much as I dislike Romney, I really do think that a second term Obama would be worse than a first term Romney, at least when judged on its own merits, without considering other factors. Strangely enough, if the "choice" for the majority of Americans must be between Obama and Romney, I think that it is imperative that Obama gets re-elected. Romney getting elected would be a net loss for liberty by my estimation.

And now that Romney and Ryan have gone full retard on foreign policy, they could be a lot worse than Obama when it comes to war and all of the associated costs (blood, destruction, dollars and blowback).

Philhelm
10-13-2012, 09:14 AM
And now that Romney and Ryan have gone full retard on foreign policy, they could be a lot worse than Obama when it comes to war and all of the associated costs (blood, destruction, dollars and blowback).

I'm not so sure. I just don't see Romney really being all that passionate about things, and Obama is no slouch when it comes to killing. I mean, the man kills people with flying robots day and night and gets a Nobel Peace Prize. Now that's talent! And, Obama did assassinate a U.S. citizen overseas, with no judicial oversight (for what that would be worth in this benighted kingdom).

RonPaulFanInGA
10-13-2012, 09:39 AM

Obama has been killing people in Afghanistan, killing people in Libya and killing people a with drones in Pakistan and Yemen. Who knows how many of them are innocents; certainly the dead kids were.

This is like being given a choice between voting for Ted Bundy and a person who fits the psychological profile of a killer, but who hasn't actually killed anyone yet. And you're going with the known killer?

Philhelm
10-13-2012, 10:19 AM
I was thinking of doing the split option. My wife said she would vote for whomever I chose, so perhaps I can write-in Ron Paul and have her vote for Gary Johnson.

Czolgosz
10-13-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm writing in RP because I want them to know where that vote went. A vote for GJ will register as a protest vote, if that is your intended purpose.

sailingaway
10-13-2012, 11:39 AM
You should do what you feel best doing. Since every state I've looked up counts 'undervote' which is the difference between the vote for a named or certified candidate for the election and ballots turned in, and since most who vote in a presidential election are there to vote in that election, I think having even a large undervote shows rejection of the legitimacy of the candidates for President. If the number were large, we could publicize it. So I would write in Ron Paul even if it just fell into that 'undervote', but that is because, for me, 'none of the above' is the next best vote. If you like a different candidate and think they would be a good president you would affirmatively WANT, not just dislike least, you might feel differently.

oyarde
10-13-2012, 11:50 AM
I have a Senator to vote for , otherwise, have no idea except that I will not be voting for any Dems on a National level, ever.

oyarde
10-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Mine is electronic, I cannot write anything in.....

Jumbo Shrimp
10-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Virgil Goode.

sailingaway
10-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Mine is electronic, I cannot write anything in.....

You can leave that one office blank and it falls into undervote/none of the above, but it is your vote.

bill1971
10-13-2012, 01:02 PM
I was thinking the same thing, ill vote for who is on the ballot, Gary Johnson. I wish Ron Paul would have been the Libertarian nominee, but I think more people heard his message this way.

heavenlyboy34
10-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Nobody 2012-http://www.anti-politics.ws/
https://www.facebook.com/TheVoteForNobodyCampaign
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MwY_gqY1TVc/TrZ88Y5jUvI/AAAAAAAAWgA/4-PXMkrB3fE/s1600/vote-for-nobody.jpg

oyarde
10-13-2012, 01:24 PM
You can leave that one office blank and it falls into undervote/none of the above, but it is your vote. I have been thinking about it for a few weeks , I think this is what I will do....

Seraphim
10-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Vote smart.

Vote Galt.

Karsten
10-13-2012, 01:34 PM
I say Gary Johnson.
I wrote in Ron Paul in 2008, but Johnson is way better than Bob Barr, we can all agree on that.

Johnson's polling well, even double digits in crucial Ohio. I think the ideal situation would be if Obama won narrowly, and the amount Johnson gets is greater than the difference. We'd be blamed for Romney losing, but that might actually be a good thing. The GOP will go through its "soul searching" that happens when the party loses, and maybe just maybe libertarians will emerge as a rising power in the gop (seeing as they would have won if they had us), just in time for Rand to run in 2016.

Jumbo Shrimp
10-13-2012, 01:37 PM
I have been thinking about it for a few weeks , I think this is what I will do....

You're in Indiana, right? You can vote for the Constitution Party of Indiana.

Brian4Liberty
10-13-2012, 10:36 PM
You should do what you feel best doing. Since every state I've looked up counts 'undervote' which is the difference between the vote for a named or certified candidate for the election and ballots turned in, and since most who vote in a presidential election are there to vote in that election, I think having even a large undervote shows rejection of the legitimacy of the candidates for President. If the number were large, we could publicize it. So I would write in Ron Paul even if it just fell into that 'undervote', but that is because, for me, 'none of the above' is the next best vote. If you like a different candidate and think they would be a good president you would affirmatively WANT, not just dislike least, you might feel differently.

I like that. I'm gong to undervote for everything!

sailingaway
10-13-2012, 10:40 PM
I like that. I'm gong to undervote for everything!

You have to vote for SOMETHING to show you showed up. Or against a ballot measure or something.

Philhelm
10-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Bump for additional perspectives.

dillo
10-14-2012, 09:58 PM
gary johnson, its the only way to get rid of this 2 party system. Also I could care less if I vote for the winner, the shits not a game

Anti Federalist
10-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Obama is a known evil at this point and would be a lame duck with a divided government in a second term.

You really want to hand Mandate - I'd consult the lawyers - Gun Banner - Mitt a GOP house and possibly GOP Senate?

I'm writing in Ron Paul and beyond that doing everything I can to put NH in the O-bomb-ya column, partially for my own selfish, personal reasons.

heavenlyboy34
10-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Vermin Supreme 2012! ;) :D I want my free pony.

mport1
10-14-2012, 10:15 PM
I will be writing in "abolish the office" for President and every other position unless there is a principled libertarian on the ballot.

oyarde
10-14-2012, 10:34 PM
You're in Indiana, right? You can vote for the Constitution Party of Indiana. That will be Virgil Goode ? Nah, I was hoping they would bail meout and nominate someone good.

oyarde
10-14-2012, 10:39 PM
I would like to thank Phil for the thread , kind of helped me work through this for myself, ended up where I began , but that is OK.....

thequietkid10
10-14-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm voting Johnson, your Ron Paul vote won't register with anybody. Nobody will care if <1 percent of the vote is a Ron Paul write in. They will take notice if Johnson gets 5%. It will put the two established parties on notice that just because Ron Paul is retiring, doesn't mean the Libertarian movement is going away.

Paul Or Nothing II
10-15-2012, 12:29 AM
I'm voting Johnson, your Ron Paul vote won't register with anybody. Nobody will care if <1 percent of the vote is a Ron Paul write in. They will take notice if Johnson gets 5%. It will put the two established parties on notice that just because Ron Paul is retiring, doesn't mean the Libertarian movement is going away.

Agreed.

Write-ins are just a waste of time, one might as well not vote at all!

I think it's VERY important for libertarian movement that GOP loses, because if GOP wins despite kicking Ron to the curb then that's not going to help us increase our leverage within the GOP or the political process as a whole, so GOP MUST LOSE!

The more direct way of ensuring a GOP loss would be to vote for Obama but of course, voting for Johnson & demonstrating that libertarianism is growing is also good; I'm torn between the two choices here, not sure which one is the most optimal. In any case, either choice would be way better than write-ins, which nobody gives a sh!t about!

Philhelm
10-15-2012, 09:34 AM
I would like to thank Phil for the thread , kind of helped me work through this for myself, ended up where I began , but that is OK.....

And where is that, if you don't mind me asking?

jbauer
10-15-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm going with GJ to show a protest vote. I'm in TN and Romney will carry it by 10% or better. I actually fear a Rmoney presidency more than 4 more. If Rmoney gets in and it all goes to hell "they" will blame "conservatives" making our job all the more difficult.

Eagles' Wings
10-15-2012, 10:05 AM
You can leave that one office blank and it falls into undervote/none of the above, but it is your vote.Good to know.

oyarde
10-15-2012, 10:30 AM
And where is that, if you don't mind me asking? Mine is electronic , I cannot write in , so , I will vote for everything else and leave it blank.